Author Topic: Clover Spear - The Story of the '56 War  (Read 144764 times)

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
Re: Clover Spear - The Story of the '56 War
« Reply #270 on: 25 August 2018, 02:42:34 »
Nice, thanks
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Starfox1701

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #271 on: 25 August 2018, 12:54:13 »
Feels like your building up to an epic battle

ckosacranoid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #272 on: 31 August 2018, 13:41:57 »
Nice updates to this story.
The setup with Omi and katty are funny as heck and the reaction where great.
Miss Pryde, to bad you are to late. The Cappies already beat you to that and killed the man behind the action of kicking your class butts.

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #273 on: 18 September 2018, 21:38:55 »
Another Omake by Yellowhammer of SB...uber retail therapy!

Royal Palace, Avalon City
New Avalon
January 19th, 3057

Omiko Kurita nodded to herself as she followed Katherine through a door guarded by two stone-faced members of the Davion Guards. Having grown up in the sprawling complex of Unity Palace that was the nerve center of the Draconis Combine, Omi was used to the concept of the palace being a maze of offices, audience halls, living areas, gardens, and the million and one working areas that insured whatever a member of House Kurita needed, she need not venture outside the guarded walls of her home.

So finding an exclusive beautician for the private use of the Davion family was not unexpected. She herself had availed the usage of one on Luthien to prepare for Court appearances during the Coordinator's Birthday and similar ceremonies when the Keeper of House Honor would attend as a symbol of the Pillar of Ivory that supported her father's rule.

The usage of the beautician to conceal her origin and ancestry so that she and Katherine could travel outside the walls of Davion Palace for their shopping trip was a novel experience to the sheltered Kurita royal. Considering that her very existence had been secret for the first five years of her life, Omi was both nervous and excited for a trip outside the bubble that had defined her.

Currently Omi and Katherine were lying side by side on couches as their hair soaked in a dye developed by LIC. This would turn Katherine to a brunette from her instantly recognizable natural Steiner blonde. Combined with a change from her Court finery into her waiting NAIS sweatshirt and jeans combo (with built-in body armor as a precaution), the Archon-Princess Regent of the FedCom would become yet another anonymous grad student whose scholarship check had just arrived. Meanwhile for Omi, a white turtleneck sweater 'borrowed' from Katherine along with khaki slacks (also with armor inserts) would pair with her newly blonde hair and contact lenses that would change her eyes from Kurita steel-blue to a more inconspicuous hazel.

"So, Katherine-ch..." Omi broke off at the mock scowl from her future sister-in-law and rapidly edited the automatic honorifics out to use the name that Katherine was going to use. "Kathy, how often have you done this? The sneaking out of the palace in disguise, I mean. It is all...new to me, I confess that I rarely saw the outside of Unity Palace before."

Katherine sighed "Not as much as before Father's death, Omi. Before that, we would do it...four times a year or so? According to Mother and Aunt Nondi, it is something of a tradition for the Steiners to venture outside the Triad and the Nagelring during holidays in disguise. Well once they were old enough, of course. I'm not supposed to know this, but Big Brother got into a drunken fistfight over a girl one time in a dive of a bar outside the Nagelring as a cadet and narrowly avoided getting arrested when the police showed." Katherine giggled wickedly "Mother was furious while Father laughed when they heard from his covert close cover detail. Father said that you could expect nothing less for a child of his named after Uncle Ian."

Omi laughed in turn. "Oh my! To have been an insect on the shoji screen when news of that reached their ears!"

"Oh yes. I also know that Victor was the one to corrupt poor little Yvonne last New Year's for her first taste of that forbidden fruit. It must have been really good, since Victor had an ear to ear smile the day afterward that he couldn't contain. Since he is normally a bit broody, that was very out of character for him."

"It was incredible but I'm sworn to secrecy about why Victor the Grump was on Cloud Nine the morning after. Sorry, Mad Kat, you will have to look elsewhere for your hot gossip on His Royal Grouchiness." A new voice sounded from the door unexpectedly.

Omi turned her head to look at the girl standing there, who responded with a cheeky smile and wave before leaning against the doorframe. The fact that it allowed her to politely ignore a muttered German curse from Katherine was a bonus in her eyes as Katherine sighed deeply. "Evie, you know how I hate that nickname. What brings you here?"

Yvonne Steiner-Davion flipped her auburn-red ponytail over the shoulder of her cadet uniform and smirked. "Harassing you in short. You of all people should know better, Kathy. I have to do something to amuse myself, and Victor is still under doctor's orders to take it easy, while Peter and Arthur are both offplanet. Soo...who is your partner in crime, Kathy?"

Katherine opened her mouth, but the youngest Steiner-Davion cut her big sister off with the ease of long practice in family gatherings and slipped into Lyran German as her smirk widened. "Lass mich raten. Kleine Asiatin, blaue Augen, superhübsch Du musst die Omi sein, auf die mein großer Bruder Victor steht. Komisch, Du hast Dich besser gehalten als ich dachte." (Let me guess. A very pretty small Asian with blue eyes, you must be the Omi (slang for Grandmother) that my big brother Victor has the hots for. You look younger than your age.)

While Omiko's German was basic at best, she was aware that clearly there was a joke in that statement somewhere and laughed politely as Katherine convulsed in uncontrollable giggles before giving a scandalized shout. "YVONNE!"

Yvonne gave the image of wounded innocence to Katherine's angry glare. "Well, she is the Omi that Victor has fallen for. Anyway, where are my manners?" Yvonne then gathered herself and performed an inexpert but clearly rehearsed bow to Omi as she spoke in accented Combine Japanese slowly. "Hajimemashite. Konbanwa Kurita Omiko-san. Watashi no namae wa Steiner-Davion Yvonne desu. Yoroshiku onegaishimasu."

Omi smiled in return and wiped a tear from her eye at hearing the formal words of introduction in her native Japanese. "I am pleased to meet you as well, Yvonne-chan. Please, call me Omi. Where did you learn Japanese?"

Yvonne dragged a chair to face the others and sat down. "Albion. After finding out about you, I decided to take Introductory Japanese as my elective this semester. Even if we had never met, as a future lawyer and spare administrator for the dynasty, I can do worse than to be able to talk to people from liberated worlds. So, I plan to double minor in Chinese and Japanese as part of my course load over the next two and a half years."

As a timer sounded, Katherine began to gather her now-black hair out of the dye bath and gave Yvonne a stern look. "Speaking of Albion, shouldn't you be on campus?"

Yvonne shook her head with a broad grin. "Nope. I'm two weeks ahead in all my classwork, the next field exercise is a week from Tuesday, and Colonel Zigler plans to boost physical security on the campus before then just in case the Blakists or Capellans try to hit us. So, in other words, I was ordered to make myself scarce and stay in a secure location while they upgrade security protocols. So here I am."

Katherine sighed. "I don't suppose that you can be persuaded to not come along? I planned for Omi and I to hit the malls discreetly to do some serious shopping before we both go stir crazy. And you, Evie, have never been particularly discreet."

Yvonne's grin widened, looking remarkably like the video Omi had seen of Hanse Davion. "You know me better than that, Kathy. We'll argue, I'll win like I always do, and then I'll come with. Besides, when I'm discreet no one has ever caught me. The only benefit of being the baby of the family is that people overlook me. I'll get the disguise Victor put together for me and meet you back here, Ok?"

With that, the redhead waved goodbye and headed out of the room in a rush. Omi stared at the door in confusion as Katherine spoke. "Your brothers were never that bratty, were they Omi?"

"Iie, Katherine-chan." Omi carefully shook her head as the staff wrapped her newly dyed hair in a towel turban to dry.

"Lucky."

------------------------------------------------------

A half hour later, Omi found herself in the passenger compartment of a nondescript but heavily armored minivan. True to her statement, Yvonne had invited herself to the outing, with her disguise being a black leather jacket with the insignia of some sports team on the back, a black T-shirt that read 'Give Blood, Play Rugby!' in blood-red letters, a Skye-style red with green and gold patterns tartan skirt, studded gloves and a fake celtic tattoo on her right cheek in blue.

Katherine's only response to the budding sports hooligan's appearance was to pinch her nose and mutter something under her breath. Omi caught Victor's name in the muttering and mentally winced. Experience watching Grandfather as a young girl was more than sufficient to detect the signs of a brewing future argument.

Clearly it was time to refocus the attentions of the sisters before the harmony of their outing was marred. "So, Kathy, where are we going?" Omi asked politely, looking across the passenger compartment to the seats facing her as Katherine and Parvati claimed them.

Katherine smiled impishly as the door was locked behind her. "Camelot Center."

Yvonne and Parvati both perked up in response as Omi looked blank. "I see. I take it this is one suitable for us to spend our money at then?"

Yvonne laughed as their vehicle started to move out of the subterranean garage hidden under the palace. "You have no idea, Omi. None whatsoever."

Omi smiled and rooted around the built-in cooler by her knee to produce a bottle of Panpouran green tea. At Parvati's nod, she handed her friend that bottle and then took one for herself. "Yvonne-chan, Katherine-chan, do you want some?"

Yvonne shook her head. "I'm afraid I'm a coffee drinker, Omi-chan. Kathy is the tea type."

"Ahh, I see!" Omi produced a bottle of Jacobs Kronung coffee for Yvonne, and then a final bottle of tea for Katherine. "I will have to invite you one day to a proper chanoyu to introduce you to a fine tea, Yvonne-chan. I..." Omi broke off suddenly and swallowed as she rested the bottle of tea against her forehead and closed her eyes, "I-I-I was able to carry Shiro Kurita's tea set with me from Luthien as I fled. So much was lost...."

The others watched in silence as Omi swallowed several times and then took a deep breath. She opened her eyes, and looked at the array of lights speckling the streets of New Avalon outside her window as night began to fall. Finally Omi whispered to her reflection in the glass, "And here I find myself on New Avalon. The first Kurita to set foot here, the object of my family's ambitions since before the days of the Star League. Yet, I am no Sphere-striding conqueror, no victorious warrior crushing the Yellow Bird under my heel once and for all." She laughed bitterly as the car stopped at a red light. "Just another penniless refugee as the Combine-my home-burns and my cousins fight among the ashes. Where lies my duty and my honor as a Kurita when all is laid low? What would Mother, Minoru, Hohiro, Father say to me now from their place in the Land of the Dead?"

Suddenly Yvonne spoke as she reached over to squeeze Omi's shoulder gently. "Nana korobi ya oki, Omi-chan. Fall down seven times, get up eight. That was the first phrase my instructor at Albion taught me in your tongue. Yes, our ancestors and yours have been blood enemies almost from the beginning. Yet we are not them, and we need not become them again. I miss Father and Mother too and always will, I fear. Yet 'Out of the night that covers me,/Black as the pit from pole to pole,/I thank whatever gods may be/For my unconquerable soul'"

Kommandant Parvati joined in on the next stanza of the poem that all the cadets at Albion had memorized as the motto of their school. "'In the fell clutch of circumstance/I have not winced nor cried aloud./Under the bludgeonings of chance/My head is bloody, but unbowed.'"

Omi listened in silent reverence, the tears flowing down her cheeks as the poem continued. "'Beyond this place of wrath and tears/Looms but the Horror of the shade,/And yet the menace of the years/Finds and shall find me unafraid.'"

Katherine handed Omi a box of tissues to let the Kurita girl wipe tears from her eyes as she joined in on the final stanza. "'It matters not how strait the gate,/How charged with punishments the scroll,/I am the master of my fate,/I am the captain of my soul.' You are among friends... no, you are among family Omi-chan."

Omi nodded thankfully as she wiped her cheeks with the offered tissue. "Doumo arigatou gozaimasu!" She gave a shaky but genuine smile with the automatic words of gratitude, then suddenly chuckled and shook her head.

'What's so funny?" Yvonne asked curiously, leaning forward to see the expression on Omi's face.

"Before Victor-chan woke up after his injury, I was reading to him as his spirit wandered. I just remembered words of enlightenment there that I saw, but never viewed until this moment. 'See how elastic our prejudices grow when once love comes to bend them' from the ninth chapter of Moby Dick. A koan for my journey toward satori."

"Buddhist enlightenment." Parvati interjected for the sisters. "A koan is a paradox for the seeker to meditate on to gain understanding of herself and of the universe. 'Two hands clap and there is a sound. What is the sound of one hand?' is one of the classical koans from Zen."

Omi nodded and handed the box of tissues back. "A step on my own path to the top of the mountain." At the curious looks, she elaborated, "When I was a young girl, Father told me that I must understand that there is more than one path to the top of the mountain. I watched him take his own step along his path when I was presented to Grandfather's court for the first time and Father stood in the face of Grandfather's disapproval of his marriage to Mother. Father had to grow strong through adversity to walk his path so he could stand before Grandfather's anger on that day."

Omi then looked to Katherine and Yvonne. "Just like you are having to find your own strength now. We all have our paths to the mountain, and I hope that I can help you walk yours just as you have helped me walk mi---" Omi's voice trailed off as the Kurita girl stared in slack-jawed shock at her first sight of their destination. Her mouth opened and closed several times with no words coming out.

Spoiler
[​IMG]

"Merciful Buddha, what is THAT!!!"

"I see she finally found her voice."

Katherine chuckled evilly in response as the car turned onto a guarded access road for the mall. "If you think this is over the top consumerism, wait until I take you to my favorite in Tharkad City. You haven't lived until you have spent time there."

"Kathy's right you know. The Archon's Kroner is the largest mall in the Sphere. Camelot is only fourth largest. Besides, you haven't shopped until you have shopped with us Steiner women."

"..."

-------------------------------------------

January 19th, 3057.

A date that would live in (shopping) infamy.

The day that Omiko Kurita, daughter of Coordinator Theodore Kurita, Keeper of the House Honor of House Kurita, and a girl who never knew the joys of window shopping, trying outfits on with her friends, and making the love of her life audibly question if he would have to sell the Davion Brigade of Guards off to cover the credit card bill, led a terror raid on Camelot Center.

Fortunately for the raiders, the businesses had long-standing arrangements to have purchases shipped to the Davion Palace for a modest handling fee, of course. Otherwise the raid would have stalled out after the third clothing store pillaged on account of the raiders throwing a disc out in their backs from the volume of shopping bags that they needed to carry.

The bags that they would have accumulated after the sixteenth store would have required the assistance of most of the company of infantry from the First Davion Guards securing the mall and providing a plainclothes close-cover cordon around them to carry.

Hope was briefly offered for the beleaguered retailers of Camelot Center when after the twenty-third store hit, the raiders instead headed to an ice cream parlor instead of continuing their trail of depleted inventories and managers rubbing their hands in glee over quarterly sales targets exceeded.

Sadly, after ice cream, the raiding force launched a fresh assault upon the good merchants of New Avalon with the Steiner-Davion sisters breaking trail.

Behind the vanguard came Omi and Parvati who was agreeing to use her DMI training to jailbreak Omi's first ever iPhone so that Omi could transfer the music she had stored on her Voice of the Dragon media library account in the Combine. Let it not be said that DMI agents were immune to bribery, especially when the bribe came in the form of a 'Gotta Have It!' sized custom mango ice cream sundae from Coldstone. With extra cherries on top. Kommandant Parvati figured if someone from Macintosh protested later on, she could probably arrange a pardon for the hacking job from Katherine anyway. Besides, that was a good sundae and with the account password Omi gave to her over it, she could not only have MI4 vacuum out Omi's playlists, but also any interesting data in that cache for the analysis folks to chew over.

A tug on the sleeve of her AFFC Gym sweatshirt interrupted Parvati's private musing about electronic espionage and mango sundaes. She blinked to focus on Omi, who was pointing at a display of Asian kimonos in the window of New Kyoto Trading Company. "Kath, Evie, I'll be in there!" Omi called as she started to drag Parvati toward the Lyran importers.

Katherine and Yvonne looked at each other then at Fox's Tail Luxury Furs next door and threw rock paper scissors. Katherine won with scissors and a smirk and headed for the fur store while Yvonne headed to New Kyoto to use her copy of the family's Federated Commonwealth Express Black Select Card to finance Omi's impending purchases. "I swear, she is like a kid in a candy store. I can't blame her for going spare since she was so sheltered, but...."

A pair of late twenties men with discreet earpieces, military haircuts and loose button-down shirts concealing the arsenal they were carrying spoke softly to her as they followed their principal into the store, "You're right, Ma'am. She's making us tired just watching her shop." He then tapped his earpiece as his partner scanned the crowd of shoppers for threat signs. "Control, NIMUE is joining ELAINE in New Kyoto. Observing."

Inside Yvonne found Parvaati standing with an amused look as a smiling Omi conducted a conversation with the middle aged manager in rapid-fire Japanese. She sidled up to the DMI agent. "What's up?"

Parvati shook her head. "Apparently they do traditional textile crafting. I caught 'Nishijin work' before the clerk called her manager in to speak to her."

The manager steered Omi to a counter where the Kurita girl sketched out several round symbols and neatly wrote notes next to each one in kanji on the paper provided. Beside her, the manager nodded and interjected his own questions. Yvonne listened to the stream of Japanese from that quarter and then slowly nodded. "She's ordering custom kimonos. For herself...and for all of us too."

Finally the flood of Japanese ended and Omi bowed to the manager, who returned the bow. "This is where I come in. Time to pay the bill our friend racked up and make arrangements for her orders to get shipped to the Palace. We also serve who carry the almighty credit card for the greater good of the Commonwealth."

Parvati laughed.

January 20th, 3057
Medical Wing, Davion Palace
New Avalon, Crucis March

Victor's tablet chimed with the notification that he was receiving an email on his personal account. He paused in his daily regimen of situps and poked at the touchscreen with his one good hand.

A brief holograph formed showing a blinking message from Katherine. Victor read the subject line 'You won't believe what we did last night' out loud, then poked at the first attachment.

A holograph of a grinning Omi with a dye job in the center flanked by both his sisters waving to the camera in front of King Arthur's Castle that was the centerpiece of Camelot Court appeared.

Oh God, they didn't.

With dawning dread Victor opened the second attachment and facepalmed with his remaining hand as the credit card bill began to scroll endlessly.

"Fifty-three pages?!?!" he moaned. "At this rate I will have to disband and sell off Battlemech regiments to pay for them..."
Clover Spear author and cat wrangler!
FedCom Fan!

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #274 on: 18 September 2018, 21:49:55 »
So how many units will those three women cost Victor   :thumbsup:
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Starfox1701

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #275 on: 18 September 2018, 23:34:20 »
Oh my god! 53 pages!  What the do buy a Fox?

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #276 on: 19 September 2018, 01:48:48 »
Well that much just means lots of individual purchases, not that they're each expensive.

The fact that it's princesses doing the clothes shopping is what means that each item is expensive.
"It's national writing month, not national writing week and a half you jerk" - Consequences, 9th November 2018

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #277 on: 19 September 2018, 05:50:52 »
Having all of the Sword of Light regiments drop on New Avalon would have cost less...
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf

LightGuard

• Master Sergeant
  • They called him Camouflage
« Reply #278 on: 19 September 2018, 10:56:30 »
Oh my god! 53 pages!  What the do buy a Fox?

It sounds more like they purchased Valiant Systems...
The Things I Do for Love...

Do not try to apply real-world logic to Battletech.  Naught lies there but madness and ruin. - moneylovingogre4hire

That's fine, then.  I've been waiting since 2014 or so, what's another year?  Time laughs at all things, but BattleTech laughs at time.  Then launches a trial of possession for it. - rebs

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #279 on: 19 September 2018, 20:14:35 »
Having all of the Sword of Light regiments drop on New Avalon would have cost less...
and less scary for Victor
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #280 on: 23 October 2018, 11:23:22 »
Private Office of the Primus of the Word of Blake
Harrisburg City, Gibson
Free Worlds League
January 18th, 3057

The Precentor Martial’s office was a spartan, but comfortable place, with a small stone fireplace a concession to Gibson’s brutal winters, and furnished simply, with furniture that screamed “generic office furniture.” The walls were decorated sparingly, with a half dozen holographic images that portrayed the highlights of William Blane, Primus of the Word of Blake’s career. Outside, the wind howled like a banshee, and snow swirled past the armorplast windows, which had recently been reinforced in the wake of an attempt on the life of the Primus, the official line was that it had been the act of some rebels left over from the rebellion of ’55, but quietly, both the Precentor Martial and Precentor ROM suspected that it was the work of the Federated Commonwealth. The office was furthermore in the only permanent building in the encampment that the planetary government had “given” the Blakists upon their arrival 2 years before. The building itself was a 2 story, non-descript, brick and mortar affair, that screamed “generic.”

But, as things went, it was the most secure building on the Blakist “campus”. Thus, it was felt best that the meeting be held in the Primus’s office, rather than the “temporary” briefing room that had been set up in a converted shipping container.

In attendance at the meeting was no less than Primus William Blane, Precentor Martial Trent Arian, and Precentor ROM Alexander Kernoff, as of now, they were watching a presentation on the state of the Capellan/Marik offensive against the Fedcom, and their moods were…mixed.

“So, Mulvanney, how goes Operation CORONET DAWN?” inquired Blane.

Mulvanney exhaled deeply, she hadn’t been a big fan of CORONET DAWN in the first place, as it seemed to be a plan in search of a goal. It made sense on paper, humble the Fedcom, restore a measure of the balance of power in the Inner Sphere, and create conditions that would make the Capellan Confederation to be more amenable to assisting in Operation ODYSSEUS that was due to kick off next year. Yes, I am so sure the Capellans are ready to thank us now. Mulvanney’s mind roared, we put them in the gunsights of a very vengeful Federated Commonwealth, of course, they could have said no to our offer? Fact was, one of her subordinates who was a poker player put it best. “We’re asking the Capellans to bet it all on a pair of 8s, and promising them we’ll back 1% of their bet? Who the hell is crazy to take those terms?”

As it turned out, the Capellans were. Or maybe it was simple desperation. Either way, Sun-Tsu jumped in with both feet, when by all rights, he really should have known better. Oh well, we’re getting what we want either way.

“It goes reasonably well, Primus. We have managed to help the Capellans achieve their goals, and our raids and covert operations in the Sarna and Capellan Marches have assisted in making sure that this war will be long and bloody indeed. While Katherine Steiner-Davion talks a good game, most of the Marik and Capellan assets she has managed to assassinate are lower level individuals, whose usefulness has frankly, come to an end…”

Precentor ROM Kernoff shot to his feet, his aged features dark with rage at the suggestion just put forward. “
Spoken like a member of the Militia, the loss of every one of those assets is a setback for ROM’s efforts here in the League. If we are to achieve SKYLARK on schedule, then we must have those agents in place- “

“Silence, Kernoff. This office isn’t secure enough to discuss SKYLARK, and you know that.”

Kernoff shrugged and sat back down. His features were still a picture of rage, but they had become crossed with a measure of embarrassment. For an intelligence professional, Kernoff is a bit of a hothead, and that is cause for..concern. I’d groom Arian’s aide for the job, but ROM would never accept her, as she came up through the Militia.

“Anyhow, our efforts, Mulvanney?” Blane intoned as he turned his gaze back to the aide making the presentation.

Mulvanney gestured to a holomap being projected in the center of the office, the map was a 3-D projection of the Capellan-Fedcom border regions, with Capellan held planets being colored in green, Fedcom in blue, and planets were fighting continued in red.

“So far, Primus, by the Blessed Blake, EAST SEA has gone about as well as projected for the Capellans, LATTIKIA’s supporting operations on the part of our Marik hosts has allowed the Capellans to complete EAST SEA on schedule, and the Capellans are digging in, but the Captain-General has expressed some concerns about her control over the armed forces of late. During our last meeting with her, she pointed out the unsanctioned assaults by the Sirian Lancers on their worlds currently under Fedcom control.”

“Did we bring up how badly these assaults had turned out, and that all she had to do was withhold any support as a message to any other idiots who pull something like this?” Arian interjected, his tone betraying the exasperation he felt at the antics of their “hosts.”

“It was mentioned, Primus, but according to my people, it did not seem she was…reassured by that idea.” Mulvanney shrugged, her short brunette hair waving as she turned her head back to the holo map. “Currently, we are beginning to see signs the Fedcom is recovering, and they have setup a new command post on Foot Fall to coordinate everything. We project the Fedcom’s going to try to break out of the “pocket” they’re in with an assault on Sarna. On it’s face, it sounds foolish, slamming the wall against a dug-in McCarron’s Armored Cavalry, but, it does serve to pin them down and not cause mischief elsewhere.”

“And our sources in ROM suggest that this ACTIVE PANTHER we hear rumblings of will not be ready much before March or April?” Blane asked, turning to Kernoff.

Kernoff nodded. “The Fedcom is rightly wrapping up matters with the Falcons, and our people amongst our former brethren feel that while the Fedcom is detaching troops already for shipment to the Capellan front, those units won’t be ready to fight for some time, even close to half a year. A better revision of our estimates might be June or July, but again, that’s some conjecture, and it’s based on the current rate of the Falcon collapse, that could happen slower or faster, depending on circumstances we may not even be aware of.”

Blane exhaled. “So, the question remains, what do we do? Ultimately, we know there are those amongst our hosts who would like to be rid of us, and Corrine has bought time for other operations, but the fact is, I am not certain she will be the long-term future of the League. The circumstances of her assumption of the Captain-Generalcy has left a bad taste in the mouths of the body politic of the League, a bad taste that some might seek to expunge, violently. And if that happens…”

Trent finished the statement unbidden “..then we make very good targets.”

Blane nodded “Kernoff, how much trouble could your fanatics make to cover our escape if it came to that?”

Kernoff smiled evilly. “As operations in the Fedcom illustrate, I have quite a few options amongst my 6th of June cells, as I did not commit the entire organization to the effort, but I do have some options with them, and the Blake’s Wrath people I have available. You know, we could reinstall the Master..he is the rightful heir..?”
“Whom the people of the League will literally die in job lots to oppose, due to the bionic prejudices, not to mention we’d have come to power in a manner very reminiscent of the whole ‘Scourge of Death’ business the Mariks back in the 27th Century, further playing into the whole ‘rampant paranoia mess’ bionics supposedly cause.” Blane sighed. “We are not going to play kingmaker here any more than we have to. We will prop up Corrine, but if she falls? We run, that simple. There are plenty of contingencies, and we have everything in place to execute any we wish. Is everyone clear on this?”

A series of nods and murmurs by all present let Blane know he had the support of those in the room. At least, I hope so. But I need someone to watch Kernoff and his 6th of June nutcases, Bad enough they talked me into DARK MIRROR, why the hell did I let him kill 6000 people to decapitate the Federated Commonwealth, sure, it made military sense, but all our projections stated Katherine Steiner-Davion would not do what she is doing now! We can’t get near her to remove her from the playing field. The Fedcom isn’t that dumb. And her successor would probably authorize the AFFC to turn Gibson to radioactive glass in response. No, Kernoff has had his day, now its time for him to do his job.

Arian cleared his throat “Primus, forgive my interruption, but what of CORONET DAWN, the Capellans can only lose the war now, as it seems, they have done all they could and not driven the Davions to the negotiating table, and the Fedcom rage will probably only be slaked when Sian itself is in flames. Their vengeance has already hit us and will increase only as time goes on. So, when will it be time to end our participation in Sun-Tsu’s war?”

Blane smiled, Excellent point, Precentor Martial. “I intend for us to back Sun-Tsu with supplies and advisors from now on. Our troops have been sufficiently blooded, and we now have enough experienced cadre to train our expanding militia. We will only intervene if the Fedcom, or their St.Ives stooges actually land on Sian. And I want to just keep it close there. Let both sides bleed themselves white and let Sun-Tsu become more ‘dependent’ on our good graces to keep his sorry ass on the Celestial Throne. I think, lady and gentlemen, we have the beginnings of a very good new year.”

Star Adder Clan Council Hall
Sheridan
Clan Space
February 1st, 3057

“Warriors, trothkin, we must have order! We are not confused surats, we are the bloodnamed warriors of Clan Star Adder!” roared Dagmar Lahiri, loremaster of Clan Star Adder. His ebon features were furrowed with a mixture of exasperation and rage as he banged his gavel again fruitlessly, trying to regain control of the chaotic mess the Clan Council had descended into after Star Captain Sarah Guidice, head of the Star Adder Watch, had made her report on the true state of Clan Smoke Jaguar after the second battle of Luthien.

The report had been more than a little illuminating, to say the least. Through a series of agents-in-place, and other sources and methods that Guidice refused to name, even under threat of a Trial of Refusal, the Smoke Jaguars, if the report was accurate, had underreported their casualties on Luthien by at least 20%. And more damning, they had left out the bit that they had been the instigators of the shameful use of orbital bombardment on Luthien. Cassisus N’Buta thought as he watched the chaos unfold, his face expressionless, his arms folded. Keep your cards closely held, Cassisus, until it is time to play them.

Cassius nodded to his saKhan, Dante Truscott, and rose, his arms outstretched and his smile wide. “Peace trothkin! I promise you war and glory soon enough, but for now, peace while we warriors of the Adder digest this news.” The hall slowly quieted as the murmurs of the assembled warriors died down, and then ceased. Truscott paused for a few pregnant moments, then continued.

“My Warriors. We have never been a friend of the Jaguar. Though they be great warriors, they are also a warrior too close to their namesake. They are all about the hunt, and the kill. And that, my warriors, is the problem. The Smoke Jaguars are bloodthirsty fanatics who use the memory of the Kerenskys to justify their slaughter of those who cannot defend themselves. We told them and the rest of the invading clans what it would take to subdue the Inner Sphere. We told them, and they chose not to listen, and now, their adventurism has led the Clans to the precipice, and has led to the invading Clans becoming so desperate, that one would submit false information to the Grand Council itself!”

“We could move to absorb the Falcons, and the Vipers. They would be more suited to our ways in some respects, but why bother? The bidding will be fierce for both clans and would lead down a road of madness that could sunder the Clans themselves. No, my trothkin, we will not act as our enemies expect us to, this is folly. We know what we must do. And you know it as well.”

The chant began in the back of the hall, but it wasn’t long before it filled the hall “Jaguars”, “Jaguars”, “JAGUARS!” It could be felt in the fiber of everyone present.

“You have spoken my trothkin, and I think we can dispense with a formal vote! Can we Loremaster?”

The loremaster nodded sheepishly, but then one warrior stated, “My Khan, what of the rest of the Grand Council, surely they will try to stop us from absorbing the Jaguars?”

N’Buta threw back his head and laughed. “Ah yes, the same Grand Council that took the bold-faced lies of murdering surats as gospel? Oh yes, I am sure we will stop to ask them for permission. No, my trothkin, better we ask for forgiveness after the deed is done. It is not as if they will be in any position to stop us, as they will all be tripping all over themselves to bid on the carcasses of the Vipers and Falcons.”

Cantonment of the 341st Assault Cluster
Asab
Ramsau
Clan Wolf Occupation Zone.
February 19th, 3057

The Warrior’s Club for the 341st was a small affair, and spartan, with cheap pressed wood furniture and barstools, and a holoviewer in the corner. The alcohol stock being limited to mostly captured Inner Sphere brands of rail quality, but it did what most bars did, it aided socialization and camaraderie, and right now, the officers of the saKhan’s Silver Keshik and the 341st were “debriefing” their recent exercise.

“Star Colonel Sender, I was impressed the way you led your warriors in the recent exercise. I am having discussions with the Khan this month, and we will be figuring out which units will be garrisoning our new holdings in what used to be the Jade Falcon Occupation Zone. Your men are fine warriors, and good ambassadors of the Clan Way as well.” Phelan Kell smiled as he praised Star Colonel Sender and his staff.

“Point 5 of our Command Supernova has done well to assist in our efforts to keep things peaceful on Ramsau. They have revitalized lacrosse here on Ramsau with their organization of the youth league, but we realized early on, to play with Clan rules was a bit hard on Spheroid youth. But we have decided the best way to get the loyalty of these people is to give them a future to aspire to, ovKhan.” Sender replied with a sense of pride in his voice.

“Hence your joint patrols with the civilian law enforcement and militia?” Phelan asked.

“Aff, we feel Elementals with no suits, immaculately turned out, and with sidearms only has had a better result in joint patrols with the local law enforcement officers than anything else. So much so, we only must dedicate one or two binaries depending on the time of year. We have even had the local government ask us for extra help with crowd control during the local festivals. That’s mostly dealing with local drunks and the occasional fight or medical emergency.” Sender stated.

“Your methods will I think, do more to prevent the kind of insurgencies we saw cripple the Vipers and Falcons. We must win, as the ancient Americans put it, ‘their hearts and minds’ through persuasion and decency, as we will never win it by force.” Phelan winked conspiratorially

“Aff, I have even punished some warriors for egregious behavior with regards to the locals. It has met with surprising acclaim amongst my warriors. I would have thought it would have had me the recipient of a Trial of Refusal?” Sender intoned, a bit of surprise in his voice. “My men and women have embraced the people of this world. As have I.”

“Are the rumors true about you and a local girl, Sender?” Phelan smiled.

Sender nodded. “Aff, she is the daughter of a prominent businessman, I was recently invited to her parents for dinner. Khan Phelan, a question about this? Why is she so nervous about this? She’s already given me three different instructions on how to behave and what to wear? I will admit, this is all so much more complicated than our way, but yet, I was never interested in such things..till I met Veronica.”

Phelan laughed and shook his head “You’re meeting her parents, and it’s part of a freeborn ritual where the lady in the relationship gets the seal of approval from her parents about her choice of mate.”

“And if her family approves, my Khan?”

“Then you, Star Colonel, are probably going to get hints about getting married.”

Ramon Sender blanched. “Me, a married Clan Warrior? Why what would the rest of the Clan think?”

Phelan laughed. “Star Colonel, I would hold you and your wife up as symbols of the new future we must embrace. And embrace it we will. So, you take a holo with this girl?”

It was then that Phelan heard the clearing of a throat behind him, it was one of his young unblooded aides, and he had a look on his face that he had news he’d rather have died than delivered. He was short for a warrior, barely 1.5 meters tall, lanky, with a large adams apple that seemed to sway every time the boy spoke.

“Yes, Tanis, what is it?”

“My Khan, we have gotten word of a massive Fedcom assault on Tamar. Estimates are 8 plus regiments have dropped on the world. Khan Kerensky has organized a defense with the Golden Keshik and the 4th Guards…but casualties have been heavy.”

“What is enroute to relive Tamar?”

“So far, the 24th Wolf Rangers, the Doberung and Choyer Garrison Clusters, and the 352nd Assault Cluster. They have also requested our Keshik as well.”

“Aff, we will board ship within the hour. Let’s cut this party short. If you will excuse me, Star Colonel?”

“Khan Phelan, I can send a Supernova of my warriors if you require it?”

“Neg, Star Colonel, last thing we need to do is give any of our neighbors ideas. By the way, Tanis? What of the rest of the frontier, anything?”

“Neg, my Khan. The rest of the frontier has been quiet. One significant thing, or at least the Watch thought so when they informed us, initial BattleROM analysis suggests the units facing us on Tamar are from the Fedcom’s Skye Ranger brigade, and several hired mercenary outfits.”

And immediately, the answer presents itself. “Tanis, send a message to Khan Kerensky, she has probably figured this out already, but in case she has not..tell her that I do not think this was an act by the Federated Commonwealth at large, but by Skye..and those loyal to her.”

“My Khan?” Tanis blanched.

“Send the message, Tanis, then get everyone boarded. We need to be on our way within the hour.”
« Last Edit: 23 October 2018, 11:43:28 by panzerfaust150 »
FedCom Fan!

Starfox1701

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #281 on: 23 October 2018, 22:16:01 »
Why do I get the feeling the toaster worshipers are going to be looking for new leadership soon and I hope Tasha kills Ryan's sstup if but.

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #282 on: 05 November 2018, 00:01:25 »
As if the last update wasn't enough, here is another Omake from Yellowhammer...and our fave Kurita Princess...

Many of the so-called mental peculiarities of the
Japanese have their origins in the love of purity and its
complementary hatred of defilement. But, pray, how could
it be otherwise, being trained, as we actually are, to look upon slights inflicted, either on our family honor or on the
national pride, as so many defilements and wounds that would not be clean and heal up again, unless by a thorough washing through vindication? You may consider the cases of vendetta so often met with in the public and private life of Japan, merely as a kind of morning bath for a people in whom love of cleanliness has become a passion.
---From Yoshisaburo Okakura, The Life and Thought of
Japan, London, Terra, 1913

In revenge, there is something that satisfies one's sense of
justice. Our sense of revenge is as exact as our mathematical faculty, and until both terms of the equation are satisfied, we cannot get over the sense of something left undone.
---From Inazo Nitobe, Bushido, The Soul of Japan, London,
Terra, 1900

Patience is a needed Art for vendetta. Haste makes the crop
go sour. Vengeance, like fruits of the vine, requires time to
sweeten.
-Kevin McAbayashi, in Assassin's Handbook, Office of
Reference Materials, Order of the Five Pillars, Luthien, 2887

Palace of Spreading Harmony
Galedon V, Galedon Military District, Draconis Combine
15 March, 3057

Duke Hassad Ricol studied the holodisplay showing the current state of the Combine.

The battered husk of Luthien still glowed the dull gray of a Smoke Jaguar world, now joined by Chatham, Leiston, and Bicester. Yumesta glowed the orange of conflict as the DCMS Sixth and Seventh Ghost bled and died to plug the hole that the 'shift' of the Seventh Sword of Light had opened. His ally "Agate" led the Teak Dragon to Dover to secure the critical shipyards there for Coordinator Franklin Kurita.

Let the eta and burakumin die to slow down the barbarian Jaguars. Once the enemies had exhausted each other, then the true samurai would perform an iaido strike to slay the Jaguar and reclaim Luthien for the Dragon.

Sadly, some of the units that he was hoping to rely on had launched independent actions to strike the Jaguars upon hearing the news of Luthien. Their casualties would need to be made good first....

A chime interrupted Ricol's musings. "My Lord Archduke, a messenger from ComStar."

Ricol blanked the display with a silent snarl of annoyance, "Then send them in!"

The red-robed Adept entered, escorted by a pair of his personal guards, and knelt before the Red Duke. "The Peace of Blake upon you, Archduke Ricol. I have a message for you."

He placed a hard sided metal document case on the table. "As directed, I am to bring this directly to you and place it in your hands for your eyes only."

Ricol glanced at the guard who nodded confirmation that the case had been scanned and was not a bomb. "Ordered, by whom?"

His eyes then were drawn to the white wax seal holding the case closed and he felt a pit of ice form in his stomach. The seal was the familiar Dragon of House Kurita with a sakura flower between the Dragon's open jaws. The seal of the Keeper of the House Honor. "Out, and I am not to be disturbed!"

Ricol opened the latch with a hiss as the seal broke on the case once the room had been cleared. Then he looked at the contents. Inside the case, several of the fluid filled shock absorbing elements had sprung a minor leak, but the contents were clearly undamaged.

A verigraphed sheet of the near-indestructible plastic that had taken the place of paper early in the 25th century had his name in hand-written kanji neatly above the security thumb strip to verify his identity. The other object was a message disk marked with the Dragon and sakura of the Keeper.

Ricol wiped some of the fluid from the sheet of paper to clean it off. As he did, the holoimage of Omi Kurita as part of the verigraph of the paper seemed to track him with a knowing smile. He then pressed his thumb to the offered security strip and a poem formed like magic.

A parting word?
The melting snow
is odorless.

He frowned. The message of the Keeper's poem was unclear. Clearly the statement was about the transience of existence, but....

With the question lingering in his mind, he wiped more packing fluid off the holodisk and inserted it into the terminal.

The display fuzzed and reformed into the image of Omi Kurita kneeling in seiza. Dressed in a pure white formal kimono embroidered with the five scarlet dragon kamon of House Kurita and a black obi that had subtle gray threading suggesting the Dragon's scales, she was the image of feminine demure beauty.

"Konban-wa, Duke Ricol-san. Please forgive my tardiness in speaking to you. I was unable to accord you the proper courtesies when our paths crossed on Benjamin last October."

Her voice was melodic and her smile pleasant, but there was something lurking in her blue eyes that caused him to shiver slightly.

"I wish to tell you a story for your instruction my lord Duke. Once the Dragon laid a single egg, and guarded it closely, for it held his Prince who would one day take his father's place as the Dragon. The Dragon knew that the Yellow Bird, the enemy of the Dragon would fear this Prince and took precautions, but despite his wisdom, the Dragon underestimated the Yellow Bird's cunning. As the Dragon traveled among his realm, the Yellow Bird struck, wounding the Dragon and nearly slaying the Prince. Only the honor and loyalty of a little blue Dove saved the Dragon and his Prince from the Yellow Bird's strike and the Dragon raised the Dove to among his courtiers and took the Dove's advice for all subjects of the Dragon have their own parts to pay to insure the Harmony of the Realm."

Ricol rubbed his hands nervously, and blinked.

"This is the story that I was told by my father's father as a girl, My Lord Duke. Truly Takashi-Dono was a wise and powerful Dragon to trust one as you who saved him and his son from the rebels of Rasalhague who nearly killed them both before my birth. Your actions on that day...."

The image panned back to reveal that Omi was flanked by vases containing bright orange tiger lilies and blood-red spider lilies. Ricol recoiled as if physically struck at the symbolism of the hanakotoba flower arrangements presented.

Hatred and Death.

Omi's eyes flared a icy steel-blue and her expression hardened, making Ricol's heart race as he trembled uncontrollably. He had seen that expression as a young boy sixty years before. Her eyes were the same as Takashi's father Hohiro I as he laughed at the sight of a noble flogged to death in public court for disrespect to the Dragon.

"....were well hidden, but not hidden enough. You fooled my grandfather. You fooled my father. Your treachery killed my brother and uncle."

Omi's voice was terse and controlled and her terrible eyes bored into him. Ricol gulped, trying to work his numb hands to life.

"My Lord Duke, let me tell you the true story. The Yellow Bird bribed the Dove with a supply of precious stones such as rubies to worm his way into the Dragon's confidence. The attack on the Dragon and his Prince was concealment for the Dove to get close to the Dragon and steal away the Prince's firstborn, conceived out of wedlock, to warp into a foe to be used against the Dragon. Through his treachery the Dove abandoned the Prince to die to the Dragon's enemies, and two of the three children of the Prince died honorable deaths in defense of the realm."

Ricol felt dozens of insects travel up and down his spine, and he blinked away spots in his vision.

"That leaves the last true egg of the Dragon...and the Traitor Dove. My brother Minoru swore to me that no man may live under the same sky as the slayer of his kin when I gave him the sword of Shiro Kurita as Coordinator. Know that I will not stop until your line and your allies' lines are exterminated from the face of the stars and human memory!" Omi snarled, her face flushing with wrath as her control cracked.

Ricol stumbled and collapsed as Omi continued in a hatred-filled inexorable voice filled with grief and fury. "I declare Vendetta upon you and yours, Duke Hassad Ricol, Ruby of the Black Dragon Society. Your treachery will be avenged a hundredfold for each tear that I have wept for my kin. But as for you...I have something special planned for you."

Ricol began to howl in agony as his nerves exploded in fire.

"Even now the Dragon's Breath works on you Ricol. No quick or honorable death for you, lowest of the low, traitor and conspirator. Just the agony of knowing that the Dragon! Will! Have! Her! Vengeance!"

((((()))))

March 18th, 3057

The palace physician bowed before Franklin Kurita. "Coordinator-dono, the Duke's condition worsens."

Franklin nodded slowly. "The cause?"

"Severe mercury poisoning. Incurable. The symptoms are agony, madness and then death as the body consumes its own nerves uncontrollably. Our diagnosis is that he is strong and he might...linger...for days, weeks, perhaps even months."

In the distance the screams of the dying man could be faintly heard.

"How was he poisoned?"

"The message that was sent through ComStar was packed with dimethylmercury in the packing materials inside a sealed case. One drop on bare skin is lethal and he absorbed it through his hands. The DCMS has been called to attempt to make the room safe for human entrance from the poison that evaporated and accumulates on the furnishings, but...." An eloquent shrug.

"I see. Leave me, I must consider the implications of such action by my half-sister."
FedCom Fan!

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #283 on: 05 November 2018, 02:42:41 »
Now that's playing rough!

Starfox1701

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #284 on: 05 November 2018, 05:37:17 »
Well that couldn't have happened to a nicer more deserving fellow.

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #285 on: 05 November 2018, 09:37:28 »
Well that couldn't have happened to a nicer more deserving fellow.
*claps* Not brutal enough... :D
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #286 on: 07 November 2018, 16:19:32 »
Damm   that a hell of a way to make a statement against the Kokuryu-Kai.

Omiko Kurita Keeper of the Family Honor, I salute you

Mackon

• Private
« Reply #287 on: 13 November 2018, 21:53:43 »
"Severe mercury poisoning. Incurable. The symptoms are agony, madness and then death as the body consumes its own nerves uncontrollably. Our diagnosis is that he is strong and he might...linger...for days, weeks, perhaps even months."
She's such a nice girl.

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #288 on: 14 November 2018, 02:50:37 »
She's such a nice girl.
  Leave us not forget, during the canonical BDS assassination attempt on her and Victor just before Operation BULLDOG, Omi struck off a man’s head in a single blow and lost not a single wink of sleep over it.  Yamato Nadeshiko or not, first last and always she is Kurita, and Kurita do not waste pity on blood-enemies.

Besides, as noted on SB.com, the... flair of this particular counter-strike does contain a certain element of ‘beating the grass to startle the snakes’ (pun intended).  If realising that demure, ever-mannerly Omi Kurita is willing to be this calculating and cruel in her revenge alarms more of her enemies into revealing themselves for her next blow, so much the better.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #289 on: 14 November 2018, 09:30:38 »
  Leave us not forget, during the canonical BDS assassination attempt on her and Victor just before Operation BULLDOG, Omi struck off a man’s head in a single blow and lost not a single wink of sleep over it.  Yamato Nadeshiko or not, first last and always she is Kurita, and Kurita do not waste pity on blood-enemies.

Besides, as noted on SB.com, the... flair of this particular counter-strike does contain a certain element of ‘beating the grass to startle the snakes’ (pun intended).  If realising that demure, ever-mannerly Omi Kurita is willing to be this calculating and cruel in her revenge alarms more of her enemies into revealing themselves for her next blow, so much the better.

Or even better: It might scare some of them into shelving their plans until after she has died from old age. Or maybe longer, just in case.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #290 on: 14 November 2018, 09:41:24 »
AN: And another Omake, this time by Gladiusone, it's the return of our fave Von Strang!

Duke Thomas Bradford smiled as he rose from behind his desk to greet his guest. "Colonel Marik! Welcome to Coventry! I hope the trip in system was not too unplesant?"

The handsome woman in her late fifties bowed, then took his offered hand. "Thank you, your Grace: no, we had no need to push our engines, and proceeded at a leisurely single gravity." He offered a chair, which she gratefully took. "Ah, thank you again ... my bones aren't as spry as they once were."

"I know how you feel ... fortunately, my own days of burning hard towards enemy planets are over: my greater concern is rallying the nobility of this planet to all pull in generally the same direction."

"Somehow, your Grace, I think I have the better situation," the League-born mercenary winced, obviously thinking of her own nation's recalcitrant parliament.

"Please, Colonel: enough with the 'your Grace's'. I might feel forced to style you 'Her Grace, the Duchess of Augustine.'"

Kristen blanched. "Heaven forefend: I've put a great deal of work into avoiding that little planet. It does quite well enough without me being reminded I'm supposed to run the bloody place. A regiment is far easier to command, and less likely to result in backchat and whining."

Bradford smiled. "There are some perks," he offered, as a servant brought in two frosty bottles of beer marked with the Coventry kangaroo, and she took one with relish. They sampled their brews, and sighed in satisfaction. Then the duke grew serious. "Pardon me, Colonel, but I wished to take a moment to extend my most sincere condolences for the situation in the League. Is there any word on your brother? Your niece?"

She sighed. "Nothing on Thomas or Isis, I'm afraid: cousin Corrine is keeping a firm lid on things, and relations with Sian is not exactly conducive to correspondence. Joshua, thank God, is on New Avalon surrounded by the best doctors and guards available." She took another sip. "The Archon Princess sent her own best wishes, and I know her people are working on learning more." Kristen shrugged. "It seems that civil war remains the Free World's League's nation passtime. All I can do is focus on doing my job ... which, today, is getting my boys and girls ready to defend this little mudball of yours."

"I'm actually quite fond of this little mudball," Bradford rejoined in mock offense, but smiled. "Actually, I have also recieved a letter from Katherine Steiner Davion, and it was ... quite interesting. It seems that she is interested in activating a clause in your contract, and transferring your employment at a significant markup."

"Oh?"

"Yes: of course, it's your decision, but it will pay far better than your current commitment, and either way Coventry will be delighted to house and protect your dependents as though they were our own." He pulled a data chip from his desk, and offered it to her. "It is a combat assignment, and will involve venturing into Periphery space as part of a multi-regimental task force to liberate five worlds from the Jade Falcons ..."

"With all due respect, my lady," offered Kommandant Ryan Cooper, as he cut his steak, "And, if I may, after the Island, that's a heck of a lot, whatever the newsies say ... I'm not sure if I or any of my boys and girls would be interested in joining the Legion." He paused to take a sip of wine, then continued. "I mean, sure our enlistments are up, and we're all thinking about whether or not to re-up, but the Legion has something of a reputation ... and not everyone agrees with me that it's overblown."

"Perfectly understandable," agreed Juliette as a server reloaded her scotch. The private room in a Sudeten hotel that until recently had been used as a Falcon administration center had held up fairly well after years of occupation and misuse, with mercenaries now recouperating in various rooms and halls, while the kitchens and resturants worked overtime to feed them. Fortunately, rank had it's privileges. "And to be honest in return, I do not think that your troops would fit with the Legion style of warfare: our agressive tactics have a tendancy to be ... costly, despite our best efforts. We are already recuiting heavily for the Forsaken, our conventional branch, to bring them up to full regimental strength, we have something else in mind for your troops.

"Essentially," she sipped at her liquor, "We envision you forming a mercenary command of your own, and I, as Baroness of Strang and ... well, let's not get ahead of ourselves. As Baroness, I can hire your troops, and you remain independent of the Legion. After the campaign, we can revisit the matter, and you can either remain mercenaries - in which case we will likely at least keep some of you on - or you can sign on with whatever national defense force we form. Your missions will likely be crowd control, security and some urban combat, door knocking and rooting out stubborn Falcon holdouts: the Legion and heavier units will handle field combat."

"So, you basically want regime support forces."

"Essentially. I'm not expecting you to liquidate neighborhoods that disagree with me, Kommandant, but as you know, it takes more than landing a few dozen 'Mechs on a planet to claim it as yours: you can drive over it, bomb it, fly over it, but you can't claim it as yours -"

"Unless you've got a scared eighteen year old with a rifle and bayonet standing on top of it," chimed in Cooper, scooping up some peas. "If I agree, I intend to run my command as though I still served the Commonwealth: that means regular discipline, training, protocols and ethics. If I receive orders that violate those ethics, I won't follow them."

"I'm sure we can have that written into your contract, Kommandant," smiled Juliette.

"Equipment needs to be decent: I'm not sending my troops into the fight without proper gear."

"I have an agreement with the AFFC: you will draw your weapons, armour and equipment from their quartermaster. I envisong a mix of foot and motorised infantry, although the precise details will likely become more clear after future discussions. I have here a list," she touched a small data chip, "Of other officers and NCOs the AFFC has recommended, for your perusal. Some you have served with before, others you may have heard of. Once you have a core, you can recruit from there."

He looked thoughtfully at the young mercenary. "You seem to have thought this through pretty well. How many troops, exactly, are you imagining I could organise?"

She lifted a bite of steak to her mouth. "I'm thinking three or four regiments, with appropriate artillery and VTOL support, medical teams and administration." As he blinked in shock, she reached into a pocket and pulled out a small golden pin. "I imagine a promotion is in order ... Brigadier Cooper."
FedCom Fan!

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #291 on: 14 November 2018, 09:44:03 »
AN: Another fine Omake by Gladiusone of SB.com!!

Intelligence

Juliette watched through the window to the courtyard below, as grizzled sergeants ran infantrymen through close quarter drill. While all were veterans of the AFFC, the finest combined arms military not being run by a cult, they were from multiple units, and still getting used to working together. Fortunately the Heavy APCs have arrived, along with the Patton’s, Manticores and Po’s we ordered, she mused, and that’s not counting the hundreds of tons of other gear Cooper’s boys and girls will need. Then there’s transport ... here’s hoping Kitty S-D is good to her word. So far, the regent of the Federated Commonwealth had held up her end of the bargain between them, but with Spheroids you never knew where you stood.

Sighing, she turned to where Adrian stood, noteputer at the ready. “You have the latest update on our targets?”

Her best friend, aide and bodyguard in and out of the cockpit, nodded, tapping on his device. “Cleared through MIIO, Wolfnet, plus word from the normal sources,” he added coyly: even here, on Sudeten with the Clanners cleared out, he didn’t name the Lost by name: even a hint of their presence could betray the various loyal Barons seeded throughout the OZ. “Cross checked and collated, with the appropriate annotations and footnotes.”

“Summarise,” she ordered, and he nodded, knowing that she would absorb the details later.

“Erewhon, population ninety million, large continents with few small oceans. Cool and dry, most of the population is in sheltered, fertile valleys fed by geothermal activity. The folk are hardy and laid back, mostly subsistence farmers and sheep herders, but there are six sizable cities with light industry, and spaceports where large quantities of wool, grain and other local products are loaded onto DropShips. The populace is descended from New Zealanders, being a mix of Maori, Scottish, English and Scandinavian ancestors. The Falcon forces largely stick to the cities, and the locals let them, preferring to mind their own business. More recently groups of Labourer, Merchant and Scientist Caste Falcons have been landing and building their own enclave, including industry and manufacturing.

“There aren’t any regular Falcon units reported to be on site, apart from some basic Solhama infantry and armor units at the main spaceport: there’s just not much the Tankers really care about there. However, signals intercept suggest it may be being used as a fallback site, so there may be survivors from broken Budgie units recuperating there when we arrive.”

“Shame to interrupt their RR,” murmured Juliette. Strangely, she didn’t sound very apologetic.

“Gotterdamerung is next, and we both know the story there: small, cold, tiny population of neobarbs who make their living herding reindeer and supporting whatever pirate band is hanging about the spaceport. Just so happens this time around it’s the Falcons, 4th PGC.”

Juliette nodded: maybe fifty thousand people lived on that snowball, and apart from its location on the Exodus Road back to the Clan homeworlds, she wouldn’t even be bothering with it. “Next?”

“Population of almost eight million, Last Chance is a hot, wet world with a large trio of continents largely covered by mountains and jungle. Most of the people live in three cities that are at the mouths of large rivers, but there is a serious logging and cattle industry, with the loggers clearing land for the cattle to be raised on, slowly beating back the jungle day by day. Unfortunately, the local wood is very hard, yet rots very quickly once harvested: much of the work is done by ancient LoggerMechs that are on their last legs, and lots of brute force. The Falcons have largely ignored the activities of the locals, as long as they bow their heads and pay their tithes.

“Fourth Talon Cluster was scheduled to be stationed there just before Clover Spear kicked off, and there’s no indication they’ve moved yet.”

“And Botany Bay?” She asked with a raised eyebrow, remembering previous discussions about the rather ... rambunctious former RWR planet.

He grinned. “Much of the almost a million residents of Botany Bay live underground, in geothermally fed caverns that give shelter from the obsidian sand and ice storms that ravage the surface on a regular basis. Settled by Rim World Republic convicts and political prisoners, the locals actually benefited by the Falcon conquest, as the Clanners had a method of building domes at the lone spaceport that wouldn't be eroded by the storms before the year was out. Unfortunately for the Clanners, the locals also proved to be disturbingly independent, chafing heavily under the Clan yoke: well they remembered the name Kerensky, and they had no love for the decedents of the SLDF, whatever they called themselves now.”

“The Third Talon might have thought they had an easy temporary posting, but the locals have other ideas. It seems they haven’t gotten any easier to control than they were under Amaris. Punitive expeditions into the caverns with Elementals and light 'Mechs broke up the last three attempts at rebellion, but there are rumors that another attempt to push the invaders back into the Black is underway ...”

“Gods bless those convicts,” the Baroness shook her head. “Presumably there’s the normal share of Solhama troops and ‘military police’ caste bully boys on each world?”

He nodded. “Seems an easy way for Lyrans living under the Tankers to get a better ration is to volunteer to kick Periphery folk about while wearing green.” He shrugged. “More things change ...”

She turned back to the window, as a full regiment of infantry, technically mercenaries but in her pay, snapped to attention, their hands slapping on the stocks of their battle rifles loud enough to echo up to her office. “Oh no, my friend,” she said softly, a hint of fang showing as her lip curled in a slight smile, “After this campaign, things are never going to be the same.”

Neither of them discussed the final target on their itinerary. The Baroness was as familiar with the intelligence regarding Von Strang’s World as he was: she checked the updated data summaries each day upon waking, and before going to bed. In a lesser woman, such would be considered obsessive behaviour. In her, it was simply reality.

“Marik and the others have all touched down: you’ve got a breakfast meeting with them scheduled tomorrow with all three colonels, after they’ve got their people settled,” he continued: Kristen’s Krushers, the 13th Republican Light Lancers and the Legion of the Rising Sun had been subcontracted to join von Strang’s Legion on their campaign, paid by Steiner-Davion. “The galley has checked with their staffs to ensure we don’t make any basic dietary mistakes or the like.”

“Good work,” she told her former classmate, who just holstered his noteputer on his belt and stood at ease. She glanced over at him. “And our own people?”

He shrugged. “Two battalions are ready to march, third is still working up. Give Major Haddock a month to get used to his promotion and get over his nerves, he’ll be fine. We won’t be the same as we were before the Island,” he added in a slightly warning tone.

Juliette turned back to the window, taking solace in the sight of soldiers at work. “We never are,” she whispered, the faces of men, women and children under her care who had died over the years since her crusade had begun. So many ... she shook her head to clear it. When she turned back to Adrian, it was the Vampire who met his eyes. “They’ll be ready when we drop onto Erewhon ... or when we leave,” she said firmly. “There is no other choice.

“We’re going home.”

FedCom Fan!

Starfox1701

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #292 on: 15 November 2018, 13:47:21 »
I wonder if this little operation will draw the attention oof the toaster lovers?

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #293 on: 15 November 2018, 14:45:36 »
it might but I'm not sure they even are crazy enough to want to play 1 on 1 with Juliette Von Strang and her Legion

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #294 on: 07 December 2018, 11:33:26 »
Prelude to Sarna, Part 2

“...We launched some supporting operations to further pin down Fedcom forces, and they moved to breakout as expected, but the performance of Blakist troops was not up to the standard they had set earlier in the invasion. Our own operations have currently met with mixed success; however, we have moved the lion’s share of McCarron’s people into place to greet the Fedcom breakout attempt. Other operations, such as the “removal” of disloyal mercenary elements in our own forces, went well, though the fugitive, John Wesley Bordon, remains at large, but the Maskirovka has made his capture a priority and we expect bids from bounty hunters within the week…”

Excerpt from report to the Chancellor on the Progress of East Sea from the Strategios, dated 13 Feburary, 3056 (damaged copy was released by Capellan Joint Committee to Investigate the Prosecution of the War (Joint Committee formed from both the House of Scions and Prefectorate.) The document was released to the public in open hearings on 19 July, 3058.

Operations East Sea and Lattikia (Combined Wave 2)

Corey
Attacking Units:35th Free Worlds “Volunteers”, (ex – 5th Marik Militia)
Defending Units: Corey SMM, Corey Planetary Guard
Results: The Corey SMM turned their coats, and invited the Mariks in without a shot, expecting the world would be returned to the Confederation, however, the Mariks swiftly disarmed the Corey SMM and deposed the government, installing their own military governor and began the process of integrating the world into the League.

Tsingtao
Attacking Units: House Hiritsu
Defending Units: 36th Lyran Guards RCT, Tsingtao Planetary Guard.
Results: House Hiritsu had bad intelligence, that suggested the 36th had left to become part of Clover Spear, but in fact, it had never left Tsingtao, and was greeted with a ferocious series of counterattacks that smashed the Warrior House, destroying 50% of the unit before it fled off world. 

Heilgoland
Attacking Units: 15th Dracon
Defending Units: 3rd Fedcom RCT, Heilgoland Planetary Guard.
Results: The 15th suffered the same bad intelligence that House Hiritsu had suffered, and was mauled by the 3rd, who weren’t even supposed to be on the world, and had been missed on their usual baseworld of Sarna.

Van Diemen IV
Attacking Units: 4th Free Worlds “Volunteers”, reinforced mid-month by the 5th Free World’s “Volunteers”
Defending Units: 3rd Republican, Van Diemen Planetary Guard.
Results: The 3rd managed to coalesce around the minor mining town of New Arrangton. They fought a game siege, but the arrival of the 5th showed the 3rd that the writing was on the wall. Within the week, the 3rd Republican departed Van Diemen for Castor.

Manapire
Attacking Units: Ishihara’s Grenadiers, Marshagima’s Legionnaires
Defending Units: 3rd Ceti Hussars RCT, Manapire Planetary Guard.
Results: The Ceti Hussars managed to enter the caves and smashed both Capellan merc units badly, with the 3rd Battalion of Ishihara’s Grenadiers fighting a brave rear guard action to allow time for the rest of the force to get to their dropships and escape, however, the Davions got there first, and forced the remains of both units to surrender.

Matsu
Attacking Units: Blanford’s Grenadiers and Kingston’s Legionnaires
Defending Units: 8th Arcturan Guards, Matsu Planetary Guard
Results: The 8th did the best they could against Blandford’s and Kingston’s but as on Truth, the numbers and experience were not in their favor, and the unit withdrew to Mandate after two weeks of fighting. However, the arrival of the Capellans re-opened divisions that had racked the world during the 4th Succession War, and when the FC troops withdrew, they exploded into open violence, with the Capellan units often acting as peacekeepers between the various factions.

Diversionary Raids

Verlo
Attacking Units: House Daidachi
Defending Units:  15th Deneb Light Cavalry RCT, Verlo Planetary Guard
Results: House Daidachi had already come off two successful raids, and was looking forward to a third, but the 15th, while not as experienced as the Capellans, did have the numbers on them, and used them effectively, frustrating the Capellan commander, and forcing him to leave 10 days after his unit arrived, completely empty handed.

Jonzac
Attacking Units: House Kamata
Defending Units: Jonzac Planetary Guard
Results: The people of Jonzac awoke to find that House Kamata had done an avalanche drop right atop the main militia barracks in the planetary capitol. The Capellans then began to systematically loot the world, taking with them 35 Million C-Bills worth of refined petroleum products, and another 10 million in industrial machine presses.

“The final wave of Clover Spear faced Falcon units that were at best, in an advanced state of moral and logistical collapse. With the exception of Winfield, Falcon units fought in a confused and/or half-hearted manner, and were not often willing to engage us, even when they had a clear advantage. We are happy to report the fourth and final wave concluded ahead of schedule, and the timetable to shift units back to the Federated Stuns State Command is as follows…”

Taken from the daily operational briefing provided to Field Marshal Ranier Poulin, Supreme Commander of “Operation Clover Spear”, declassified October 9th, 3076

Winfield
Attacking Units: 21st Striker Regiment, and 151st Light Horse Regiment, Eridani Light Horse, Grey Death Legion, 1st Argyle Lancers, 3 Independent Artillery Brigades.

Defenders: 6th Provisional Garrison Cluster, 1st Provisional Cluster (3 Trinaries of survivors from various Falcon Clusters), 8th Talon Cluster (20% understrength) Clan Jade Falcon

Results: Winfield was the scene of some of the bloodiest fighting of Clover Spear. The world had had an active insurgency that at times, resembled a civil war, with as many people supporting the Falcons due to their Star League origins, as fought against them. Winfield soon became a “training” ground for Falcon sibkos, and several were amalgamated into a provisional cluster along with the shattered convalescing survivors of several destroyed Falcon clusters lost earlier in Clover Spear, as well as the remnants of the 8th Talon Cluster, fresh from their defeat at the hands of the Wolves. (The 8th found Trell I in a planetary uprising, and wisely evacuated two weeks after arrival, taking as many of the lower caste members as they could). The general uprising before the FC troops made landfall was dealt with brutally, with a Falcon warship, the CJF Emerald Tornado dropping deadfall ordnance directly on rebel-held areas of the capitol before she was nuked from existence by FC aerospace fighters.

The fighting dirtside was no less brutal, as the Falcons holed up in the Kerensky Munitions and Armaments factory complex, as well as the nearby town of Hazen. A brutal three-week siege then ensued, with little quarter asked or given. The last defenders then made a massed night assault on the lines of the 1st Argyle Lancers, and if not for the actions of Hauptmann Sara Bennigan, and her Thunderbolt, rallying a makeshift defense of the logistics area and the regimental headquarters, the 1st would have been overrun. Haputmann Bennigan was awarded the Medal Excalibur for her actions in a ceremony at Davion Palace in 3058. Accurate and timely artillery fire shattered the Falcon charge, and the Eridani Light Horse cut off the survivors and annihilated them. Only 24 Falcon warriors survived to be taken prisoner.

Apollo
Attacking Units: 3rd Crucis Lancers RCT, 26th Lyran Guards RCT, Grey Death Legion, 3 Independent Artillery Brigades.
Defending Units: 17th Falcon Regulars, Clan Jade Falcon
Results: The fighting for Apollo was short and sharp, with the Falcons abandoning the defense of Apollo after a week of desultory resistance. The 17th has not been seen again since fleeing Apollo.

Evicler
Attacking Units: 8th Deneb Light Cavalry RCT, Davion Light Guards RCT, 1st Kell Hounds, 3 Independent Artillery Brigades
Defending Units: 9th Talon Cluster, Clan Jade Falcon
Results: The 9th challenged Morgan Kell to a duel for the fate of the Cluster, and the chosen champion, Star Commander Aaron Malthus, was unhorsed from his ‘Mech in less than fifteen seconds. The unit then became bondsmen of the Kell Hounds.

Devin
Attacking Units:  1st Robinson Rangers, 2nd Davion Guards RCT, 2 Independent Artillery Brigades
Defending Units: Choyer Garrison Cluster, Clan Jade Falcon
Results: After a small engagement near the 1st Rangers LZs, the Falcon morale collapsed, as much to a lack of logistical support and the fact that there was no help coming from their clan. The rest of the campaign was marked by accepting mass surrenders.

“..I knew we had to break out, it wasn’t going to end well for anyone in the “Old Kentucky Pocket” if we didn’t. But we didn’t have a ton of mobile forces to accomplish it, if we all moved from the border, we’d have the League come in after us and crush us from behind, all we had was the 12th Vegan Rangers, who’d already had one of their regiments lose a tough campaign on Tsinghai. But all their regiments wanted some payback. So, in a long, and at times, emotional conversation over a series of HPG messages, I authorized them to break out. It threw off our timetable for ACTIVE PANTHER a bit, but it worked out..in a fashion, in the end. Damn near gutted the 12th Vegans on Sarna, I hope the survivors can forgive me for that.”

Taken from “Too Long a Soldier” pp. 335, by Marshal Jackson Davion, AFFC (Ret.)

Corey
Attacking Units: Beta and Gamma Regiments, 12th Vegan Rangers, 2nd Robinson Rangers
Defending Units: 35th Marik Volunteers (ex. 5th Marik Militia)
Results: Barely two weeks had gone by since the 35th had arrived on Corey, and they were barely involved in assimilating the world back into the Free Worlds League when the Fedcom force arrived to contest ownership of the world. The 35th did well, but the weight of numbers was against it, and the Marik unit left the world after a month of heavy fighting, having lost nearly a battalion trying to hold back the Fedcom force.

Matsu
Attacking Units: Alpha and Delta Regiments, 12th Vegan Rangers
Defending Units: Blanford’s Grenadiers and Kingston’s Legionnaires
Results:  Things did not go well for any of the combatants on Matsu. The Capellan units were still bogged down trying to bring peace to Matsu when the 12th arrived, causing a flareup in the violence, forcing both units to be scattered in penny packets that were brutally overrun by the Rangers early on. But, the Capellans stabilized the situation and a bloody stalemate soon settled in, with both sides being harried by the factionalized insurgents, thus plunging Matsu into a nasty three-sided civil war.

Zion
Attacking Units: 1st Kestrel Grenadiers
Defending Units: 3rd Free Worlds Guards
Results: The 1st Kestrel savored a chance to raid the 3rd Guards, as they had drubbed them before, and did so again, smashing them time and again over a period of two weeks, and destroying almost a battalion before it was all said and done. They also seized some 50 Million C-Bills worth of agricultural products for their trouble, and a warehouse of Battlemech parts for the militia, who had recently been disarmed due to concerns as to their loyalty.

Operation Pointe Claíomh (Sword Point)

“They abandoned our brothers and sisters on Tamar, abandoned them and our Duke to the rapacious hands of the Clans! All because he dared to do what they could not! KICK ALL THE CLANS OUT OF THE INNER SPHERE. Ryan Steiner is a hero, whose name will beat in the heart of all true Skye patriots for all time….”

Excerpt from captured Sons of Skye propaganda leaflet taken by Landing City Police Department on Solaris, March 8th, 3057. The raid on the cell also yielded 10 rifles, 40 pistols, 10,000 rounds of ammunition, half a ton of C-9 explosives, 500,000 L-Bills, and a plan to assassinate Duke Brewer of Coventry during a scheduled visit in June.

Tamar
Attacking Units: 4th Skye Rangers RCT, 17th Skye Rangers, 22nd Skye Rangers, Dragonslayers, Eriksson's Einherjar (1 Regiment), 789th Striker and the Black Cobra Regiment of the Crater Cobras.
Defending Units: Golden Keshik, 4th Wolf Guards Assault Cluster, Clan Wolf, CWS Nicholas Kerensky

Results: The Wolf Clan Warship Nicholas Kerensky was lost early in the invasion, being blotted from the sky by at least 50-60 nuclear weapons as the Skye forces gained aerial superiority and dropped Eriksson’s Einherjar right on top of the Golden Keshik’s barracks and ‘Mechbays. Though the Einerjar was brutalized, with barely a battalion surviving to be relieved by the 4th Skye, it managed to gun down a majority of the Keshik in their barracks, with only a trinary led by Natasha Kerensky managing to fight their way clear. Kerensky soon linked up with the 4th Wolf Guards and then led them on a mobile campaign that frustrated the efforts of the Skye forces to take the planet for a better part of a month.

Most citizens of Tamar, surprisingly, did not revolt against the Wolves when called to do so by Ryan Steiner. Many were content to remain neutral. The arrival of a Wolf Clan relief force in mid-March, led by Phelan Ward, consisting of the 352nd Assault Cluster, the 24th Wolf Rangers, the Doberung and Choyer PGCs, and his own Silver Keshik, ended any realistic attempt by Skye and her forces to retake Tamar. At the same time, a courier ship from the Federated Commonwealth arrived, denouncing the actions of Ryan Steiner, and stating that any units that did not return with the courier ship would be dispossessed if they managed to return to the Federated Commonwealth, or left to the tender mercies of the Wolves if they did not.

Upon hearing this, the Dragonslayers, now consisting of 2 weak battalions, and the surviving Black Cobra Regiment of the Crater Cobras fled to return to the Federated Commonwealth, where they were given free passage to Outreach. The remaining units were involved in a titanic battle in and around Tamar City, where all the remaining Inner Sphere units were destroyed over another three weeks of fighting, with the Wolves taking heavy casualties, especially in the 24th Wolf Rangers and the two Garrison Clusters. Vlad Ward was among these casualties, attempting to rally a trinary from the Choyer PGC when it broke under a counterattack by the 4th Skye Rangers. He died under the guns of at least three assault ‘Mechs. Very few bondsmen were taken by the Wolves, with no quarter asked, nor given.

In the final aerospace battle, Ryan Steiner in his Lucifer dueled the Wolf Clan Carew Ngyren in his Visigoth. The fight lasted some twenty minutes, with Ngyren finally killing Ryan Steiner, and the fighter plummeting to the planet below.

In the wake of the fighting, Natasha Kerensky has called a Clan Council meeting to discuss the future of the Wolf Clan in the Inner Sphere….

Wolf Clan Council Chambers
Tamar City
Tamar
Wolf Clan Occupation Zone
March 16th, 3057

You can still smell the burning buildings even here. Phelan Ward-Kell, saKhan of Clan Wolf observed, as the current bloodnamed of Clan Wolf filed into one of the larger lecture halls at the campus of the former War College of Tamar. Their usual meeting place, the Hall of the Bloodnamed, which used to be the meeting place for the former Ducal government and the parliament, was now nothing but smoldering rubble, one of the last stands for the remains of a Skye Guards Regiment, a Cyclops that had been repeatedly holed by an over-enthusiastic warrior had fallen right atop the building…95 tons does nasty things to any building not built like a bunker.

I don’t know how to feel about Vlad being dead. Part of me is gratified that such a rival is gone, not just for my own personal fortunes, but for the future of the Wolves. He was perhaps not as blinkered as the Jade Falcons were, but his prejudices would have been the Wolves undoing. Better he died a glorious death here, though there wasn’t much left of his giftake when we found his ‘Mech. I think one of the Skye ‘Mechs kicked in his cockpit, right into the sidewalk in fact.

On the other hand, Vlad was a Wolf warrior par excellence. He was everything the founder asked us to be. Brave, cunning, skilled, ruthless. He was a Warrior we expect, and yet, that expectation has led to this. The Falcons and Vipers being chased out of the Inner Sphere, the Jaguars mired in unending blood and death in a disintegrating Combine, no closer to Terra than any of us, while the Adders are systematically making sure they have no home to return to. Huntress fell a month ago, and from what I understand, the Jaguars resisted to the last, Lincoln Osis died at the hand of Tabitha Paik. There are wars and rumors of war swirling through the homeworlds. The madness the founder fled with the eight hundred is gripping the Clans themselves, and all because of one man. Hanse Davion, you magnificent bastard. You’ve crippled the clans for all time. You knew that when you started this. And now, your son and daughter have us in a corner. But what is to be the solution? War, or something else?

Loremaster Katya Kerensky gaveled the meeting to order. “Trothkin near and far, I call this meeting of the Wolf Clan Council to order. I remind all that we exist in a state of war, and the Martial Code governs this meeting. We shall all abide by the decisions made here, it is our rede. Until we all shall fall, selya!

“Selya” the chamber thundered

Though usually, the Clan Council consisted of some three hundred seventy-five warriors, give or take depending on bloodname vacancies, however, in this case, the representatives of the lower castes had been invited today, thus swelling attendance in the hall to possibly over five hundred. This was a meeting to decide the future of the Clan as a whole, and more representatives were attending via teleconference.

Natasha Kerensky, Khan of Clan Wolf, rose from her place front and center in the conclave, she doffed her ceremonial mask and smiled, opening her arms wide. “Trothkin. I come to you a clan that is facing a crisis. But like all crises, there is both danger, and opportunity. Do we choose war? We would be within our right to take vengeance on the Federated Commonwealth by our laws, and our customs. Ryan Steiner was a liege lord of the Federated Commonwealth, he was not acting in their name, but it was their responsibility to keep him in check!”

The chamber roared with approval. “WAR! PUNISH THE ARROGANT FREEBIRTHS!!”

“But what would war gain us? Sure, we would beat the holy hell out of the Federated Commonwealth for a while. But in the end, they would smash us underfoot of their numbers, and their artillery. Their people would rally to their leaders, convinced ALL the clans are nothing more than perfidious, murderous neighbors whose very way of life must be violently exterminated. It is a war we cannot win ultimately.”

“I SEEK A TRIAL OF GRIEVANCE, NATASHA! YOU SPEAK AS AN OLD FREEBIRTH, NOT A BOLD WARRIOR WE NEED TO LEAD US!” shouted one voice from the gallery. Several shouts and murmurs echoed in sympathy for the speaker, or to shout him down for interrupting the Khan.

Katya Kerensky leaned into the microphone and banged her gavel furiously. “Order, we will have ORDER! Or I will have Star Captain Fetladral clear the hall!”

The very mention of Star Captain Fetladral seemed to take the starch out of the sails of many of the dissenters, and the shouting matches slowly broke up, and people resumed their seats. Loremaster Kerensky turned to Natasha and nodded.”

“Thank you, Loremaster. In any event, I ken disaster for us if we choose war. But there is another option, trothkin. We can choose peace. In fact, I believe we must choose it. The most important imperative of the leadership of this clan is to ensure that the clan continues to survive and thrive. War with the Federated Commonwealth will never accomplish this, and all the emotionalism of the Crusader cause will not change the facts. The second most powerful Clan was badly humbled, and may even now, be in the process of being absorbed, or worse.”

There were murmurs of surprise. “Has it come to this, Khan Kerensky?” asked Colin, the old, wizened leader of the laborer caste, he was respected far beyond his station for his loyalty to the clan, and his steady advice on non-military matters. He had been very successful with most of his suggestions in how to assimilate the restive Inner Sphere populations of the Occupation Zone into the Clan as a whole.

“I am sorry Colin, it has. My last meeting with the Grand Council went badly, to say the least, and some clans aren’t even bothering to consult with them before turning on their fellows. Many Clans are not conducting themselves with any sort of honor. I often say that ‘Slavish adherence to ritual shows that one has nothing better to think about’, but in this case, that ritual, properly applied, did provide a measure of stability for our people. A thin veneer of stability against the chaos violence usually brings. The Commonwealth’s offensive, and the way it was conducted has shaken the Clans to their core and has stripped that veneer away.

Another voice chimed out “What of the ilKhan? He is a Wolf. Surely he can bring sanity to all of this?”

“Trothkin, I applaud your faith in Ulric, he is the best of us. But what good are his words when all ears have been closed to him?” Kerensky shook her head. “No, we have but one course. We must make common cause with our Inner Sphere citizens, we must unite the Clan and we must become part of their lives, as they must be made welcome to us. We must, proverbially, and in some cases, actually speaking, ‘cut their bondcord’ now, and for all time.”

The hall went silent.

“Trothkin, amongst the bravest of us here on Tamar was the 24th Wolf Rangers. They were an experiment. Consisting of trusted Lyran and Rasalhaguian adoptees, and equipped with Inner Sphere ‘Mechs and vehicles, we used them to see if we could integrate Inner Sphere warriors into the touman. The 24th proved to us over the last three weeks that the answer was yes. They were everywhere, plugging the line when it broke, launching attacks when needed, and they all volunteered as one, to recover bodies of the bloodnamed time, and time again, including the remains of Vlad Ward. And they suffered for it. Over a third of them are dead. Many more will never pilot a ‘Mech again. But what do we call them? ‘Freebirth?’, “Spheroid?’ What we should call them, if they have earned a place to be there, is ‘warrior’ or ‘trothkin’. Because for now, they are us, and we are them.”

“OvKhan, then what do we do about the Commonwealth?” a young Star Commander in the front row inquired.

Khan Kerensky smiled. “We do the unexpected. We deliver an olive branch. We have much to bargain with, and we Clansmen know how to bargain, do we not, quiaff?”

10th Skye Rangers Cantonment
8km South of Hirihito
New Kyoto
Skye March, Federated Commonwealth
March 23rd, 3057

“I give a rats ass General, I am a Marshal, I outrank you, and that means in the AFFC, you follow orders? Kapice?” Marshal Sharon Bryan was not happy. She had gotten priority message from no less than Nondi Steiner herself that a) Most of the Skye Guards brigade had gotten a wild hair up their asses and gone off and attacked Tamar, potentially provoking the Wolves at a really bad time for the Commonwealth, and b) she had been ordered to disarm the one remaining regiment of the Rangers, the 10th and incarcerate the senior personnel on suspicion of high treason pending their “interview” with LIC.

Things had begun well enough, they had met with a party from the 10th Skye Rangers, including their regimental commander and S-3 under flag of truce at a point 100 meters outside the main gate. Both sides had ‘Mechs and troops under cover, all guns trained on the parley. No doubt with orders to gun me down if it goes badly, Sharon’s mind reported.

And that smartass Rhonda Snord isn’t making things easier, she’s content to stand there with her arms crossed and smoke a cigar. she’s ordered her people to even leave their ‘Mechs behind!

“We are following our lord’s last orders, legal orders Marshal, and as such it is you who is committing a criminal act. I warn you, any of your people set foot on our cantonment..we will take action!” Leutnant General Bukkish was a long serving officer from Tamar, whose career had been less than stellar, even for a “social general” but he was loyal, and that loyalty had gotten him promoted up the ranks of the Skye Rangers, even if that loyalty wasn’t to the Commonwealth as a whole. His hair was receding, what was left was grey, and his dusky skin was spotted, his beady brown eyes betraying the fear he felt for himself, and his people, as an Elite RCT, backed up by an equally competent mercenary battalion had just shown up and demanded his people lay down their arms without so much as a by-your-leave.

Sharon Bryan had half a meter on the General, and she leaned in slightly, coming almost nose to nose with the General. “Oh, that would be a mistake, General. You do that, and I won’t bother taking any prisoners. You’d all be traitors to the Commonwealth, and I’d treat you as such.”

“Fine sentiments Marshal, but how does it feel being a Davion lapdog?” Bukkish replied, his voice dripping with sarcasm.

“No worse than it does being loyal to an idiot that may have begun a war for his own pride.” Bryan replied, her own snark on full display. “It seems, General, we are at an impasse. Fine, I will make this simple. You’ve got 4 hours. Either surrender, or at the end of four hours we’re coming in. If you don’t resist, we will take prisoners. If you do? Well, your people had better have luck on their side when it comes to surrendering, because my kids will probably shoot first, then ask questions later, we’re done here. “ and with that, Bryan turned on her heel and left, her gaggle of aides trailing behind. Snord ran up to Bryan’s side.

“That could have gone better.” Snord said wryly.

“He didn’t have any intention of surrendering, and he knows he can’t win. We have the numbers and firepower.” Bryan scoffed.

Snord nodded sadly. “Yes, you are right, but Marshal, you did kind of come in there guns blazing. And no offense, but we could just wait them out.”

Bryan shook her head. “Nope, not going to give these traitors a rallying point.”

Snord stopped walking, and turned to Bryan “What rallying point, Marshal? The rest of the Skye Brigade is dead, or behind Wolf razor wire, being turned into bondsmen. We could give a bunch of well-trained, misguided folks a chance to save their own lives. Not to mention the lives of our boys and girls who are going to have to go in after them.”

“Spoken like a mercenary, Snord.” Bryan said, exasperated.

Snord nodded. “We have time on our side, Marshal. Cut their power, water, and lights. We send in Loki to disable their fusion plant, and then we wait. May take a few weeks, maybe a month, but we have nothing but time.”

“Let me consider it, Snord. You’re right. We don’t need any more loss of life here than necessary. But it depends on what Tharkad tells us.”

« Last Edit: 18 December 2018, 09:48:20 by panzerfaust150 »
FedCom Fan!

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #295 on: 07 December 2018, 12:10:51 »
You sank my Kat/Vlad ship panzerfaust :(

It's not a proper fanfic unless the main female character has to choose between Mr Nice Guy (Galen) or Mr Tall, Dark, and Dangerous (Vlad).

Love that Ryan went down in an Aerospace duel and at least Vlad died doing what he was born to do.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #296 on: 07 December 2018, 16:57:32 »
Ahh poor Vlad, but then again he died in the only way he could have and made him happy, A Warrior Death

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #297 on: 07 December 2018, 17:06:21 »
You sank my Kat/Vlad ship panzerfaust :(

It's not a proper fanfic unless the main female character has to choose between Mr Nice Guy (Galen) or Mr Tall, Dark, and Dangerous (Vlad).
And the two trying to kill each other in a Circle of Equals quiaff?

Ryan's a douche but you gotta admit, he died putting his money where his mouth was.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #298 on: 07 December 2018, 20:53:23 »
And the two trying to kill each other in a Circle of Equals quiaff?

Augmented or Unaugmented?  Sounds like a great mini-fic.

Starfox1701

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #299 on: 08 December 2018, 02:33:08 »
Ryan was an idiot and got a better death than he deserved. People are going to be dying in his name for decades. Glad to see we killed 2 birds with one botched invasion. Good riddance tto Vlad and his scumy dilosions of grandeur.

Now who wants to take bets that The Wolves will get a crack at Sian?

Register