Author Topic: inverse design challenge "Dare to do it badly"  (Read 5577 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: inverse design challenge "Dare to do it badly"
« Reply #30 on: 15 February 2020, 04:50:54 »
*snip*
Goes back to something I've said since around the time TRO 3050 came out. Custom designs wouldn't be so unbalancing if canon designs didn't inhale upon the proverbial equine of short stature.
Amen!

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #31 on: 17 February 2020, 13:57:32 »
IS Pulse Lasers have their uses.

Put them on BIG mechs to discourage backstabbers.

Put them on C3 Spotter/Backstabbers.

Put them on TSM Pugilist Mechs.

Venom-KC?, I think that is the model, does fine with them.
Spider-8M / C
The mentioned Wraith does fine too.

Not every Clan Mech is a T-Wolf
Not every IS Mech can be armed with Standard Medium Lasers
Otherwise the game would just be a bunch of Griffin-1E "Sparky" clones running around.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #32 on: 17 February 2020, 14:21:52 »
But...but... muh metagame efficiency flashbulb designs!

Not every Clan Mech is a T-Wolf
Not every IS Mech can be armed with Standard Medium Lasers
Otherwise the game would just be a bunch of Griffin-1E "Sparky" clones running around.

Notsonoble

• Lieutenant
  • Justice will be delicious!!!
« Reply #33 on: 17 February 2020, 16:13:33 »
...all units within the same C3 network will be able to target the spotted enemy using the best range modifier available to the closest spotting unit.

That alone shows how the Venom and Spiders would have been better with standard mediums. The short range of a ISMPL is 2. Why take a heavier weapon that makes your fancy targeting network less reliable?
Self:  Meltrans are already culture shocked, except their response is to squeal like high school girls at a boy band concert and discharge energy weapons in random directions.
Weirdo: Sounds like the proper reaction to a Macross Cannon to me.
Quote from: Weirdo
And of course if even a single Constitution had shown up onscreen for even a single second, you would have been able to hear the mass squeeing from orbit.

deathshadow

• Lieutenant
  • Special Tasks Group
    • Cut Code Down - Minimalist Semantic Markup
« Reply #34 on: 17 February 2020, 18:59:58 »
Put them on BIG mechs to discourage backstabbers.
Or put two mediums in and get double chances to hit for at least some damage sooner.

Outside 2 hexes a standard medium equals or betters a MPL on the damage curve. The LPL is beat outside 4 hexes by the standard large! That targeting bonus at ranges you should be avoiding getting into in the first place isn't worth the weight offset.

Venom-KC?, I think that is the model, does fine with them.
Stunning example of them being garbage. Perfectly good fast mover that would be better served by ERML and more sinks -- assuming one doesn't fix the glaring flaw of it still carrying singles. Six ERML and 4 more sinks, up it to DHS. Or go with six standards and the extra single sinks. The overall damage curve will be higher and you can hang back a bit further whilst staying effective.

The mentioned Wraith does fine too.
Crippled by the pulse. ERLL, 2x ERML, Targeting computer, dump the excess tonnage into armor. Again, hang back and plink instead of going full Gungan by charging up to a range that eliminates your mobility advantage.

Meesa says teh wraith wents FULL Gungan. Meesa sayz yews nevah goes FULL Gungan.
Death will take those who fight alone.
But united we can break a fate once set in stone.

CUTCODEDOWN.COM

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #35 on: 17 February 2020, 20:24:26 »
That alone shows how the Venom and Spiders would have been better with standard mediums. The short range of a ISMPL is 2. Why take a heavier weapon that makes your fancy targeting network less reliable?

I don't think you understand how C3 works if you think the weapons on the Spotter affect it, at all.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #36 on: 17 February 2020, 20:33:20 »
Or put two mediums in and get double chances to hit for at least some damage sooner.

Outside 2 hexes a standard medium equals or betters a MPL on the damage curve. The LPL is beat outside 4 hexes by the standard large! That targeting bonus at ranges you should be avoiding getting into in the first place isn't worth the weight offset.
Stunning example of them being garbage. Perfectly good fast mover that would be better served by ERML and more sinks -- assuming one doesn't fix the glaring flaw of it still carrying singles. Six ERML and 4 more sinks, up it to DHS. Or go with six standards and the extra single sinks. The overall damage curve will be higher and you can hang back a bit further whilst staying effective.
Crippled by the pulse. ERLL, 2x ERML, Targeting computer, dump the excess tonnage into armor. Again, hang back and plink instead of going full Gungan by charging up to a range that eliminates your mobility advantage.

Meesa says teh wraith wents FULL Gungan. Meesa sayz yews nevah goes FULL Gungan.

I fully understand the use of longer ranged weapons.
You don't appear to understand the use of short ranged weapons & when they have a purpose & advantage in being used.
Like on a C3 spotter/Backstabber/Fast Light or on a mech designed to counter those Backstabbing/Spotters with a bigger chassis that can hunt them w/o worry of also dying to them.

It sounds like your basing all standards on having a 1v1 mech duel.
While I don't mind a 1v1 mech duel, I play far more company level games where there is very much a use for specialized units.

Notsonoble

• Lieutenant
  • Justice will be delicious!!!
« Reply #37 on: 19 February 2020, 12:52:20 »

I don't think you understand how C3 works if you think the weapons on the Spotter affect it, at all.

Pre TW yes, but the wording in TW nerfed it. Unless there was an errata I missed.
Self:  Meltrans are already culture shocked, except their response is to squeal like high school girls at a boy band concert and discharge energy weapons in random directions.
Weirdo: Sounds like the proper reaction to a Macross Cannon to me.
Quote from: Weirdo
And of course if even a single Constitution had shown up onscreen for even a single second, you would have been able to hear the mass squeeing from orbit.

assaultdoor

• Sergeant
« Reply #38 on: 19 February 2020, 22:12:16 »
Pre TW yes, but the wording in TW nerfed it. Unless there was an errata I missed.

My copy of TW says you use the range from the closest unit. It says nothing at all about the range of the closest unit's weapons.

LastChanceCav

• Captain
  • Repossessing the dispossessed ...
« Reply #39 on: 05 March 2020, 22:00:13 »
If you are mechwarrior enough AND your national economy robust enough, then maybe you could be among the true elite, a pilot of a Falconcougarthunderbird!

Cheers,
LCC
Last Chance Engineering - Bespoke Battlemechs for the refined gentleperson.

Register