Author Topic: Lethal Lessons - talk to the writer  (Read 5129 times)

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
Lethal Lessons - talk to the writer
« on: 28 January 2023, 08:34:22 »
I am open to discuss things, if you want to :)
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

lobezno

• Recruit
Re: Lethal Lessons - talk to the writer
« Reply #1 on: 31 January 2023, 11:20:22 »
Hi!

Im surprised at not seeing any responses here. I really liked the book, specially Jacinda's character. I also liked that Kang-hee had some proper motivations and was not simply the "evil sibko trainer". It was also nice to see anotether side to the fight with the dragoons.

The only critisicm I have (not really author's fault), ist that the story is very simlar to the latest stories in this period where a sibko in a planet has to step up in view of all the warriors having left (No Substitute for Victory, A Question of Survival). I feel that all this kid clanners from the sibkos are basically the same and have mostly the same journey. I would have actually preferred to read more about Jacinda.

In any case, I look forard to reading more from Isi.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #2 on: 31 January 2023, 13:07:25 »
Hi!

Im surprised at not seeing any responses here. I really liked the book, specially Jacinda's character. I also liked that Kang-hee had some proper motivations and was not simply the "evil sibko trainer". It was also nice to see anotether side to the fight with the dragoons.

The only critisicm I have (not really author's fault), ist that the story is very simlar to the latest stories in this period where a sibko in a planet has to step up in view of all the warriors having left (No Substitute for Victory, A Question of Survival). I feel that all this kid clanners from the sibkos are basically the same and have mostly the same journey. I would have actually preferred to read more about Jacinda.

In any case, I look forard to reading more from Isi.

I wrote the first draft before A Question of Survival was released and have to admit, I have so far not read No Substitute for Victory.
The "problem" here is, that the main characters from the Dark Age era are all old people. To continue the story, you need some fresh blood to carry on (because who wants to read all about a bunch of 70 year olds going to war?). I also intended to have Miranda and Darwin work as a kind of mirror to Jacinda.
What she could have achieved, had she not constantly stood in her own way and had she not been alone. Because, let's be honest here, Miranda and Darwin achieved as much as they did, because neither one of them was alone in being different. Had it been only Miranda or only Darwin, their tendency to work in unconventional ways would have ended just as badly as it did for Jacinda.

And yeah, having Kang-hee not just be an evil sibko trainer was very important. My first draft had the outlines of that and enough of it for me to get it, but Phil Lee (my editor) said I had to get deeper into character motivations, that I had not shown enough. Good thing he was there, or I would have missed the goal of Kang-hee not just being evil.
His "final lesson" line was in there from the start to show that. A lot (not all) of his additional motivation came from Phil saying I should show more. So, in big parts, that is his achievement as well :)

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #3 on: 31 January 2023, 13:09:12 »
Oh, and as far as so few responses go: Dominions Divided hit the same day as Lethal Lessons. I assume most people are reading the big story advancing sourcebook before they get to my little novella :)

Known Glitch

• Warrant Officer
  • Why haven't we fixed this yet?
« Reply #4 on: 31 January 2023, 13:57:50 »
It isn't showing up on the US Catalyst page yet (1400 EST on 31 Jan).  Might be why things are quiet.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #5 on: 31 January 2023, 14:06:11 »
It isn't showing up on the US Catalyst page yet (1400 EST on 31 Jan).  Might be why things are quiet.

Here you go :)

https://store.catalystgamelabs.com/products/battletech-lethal-lessons?_pos=1&_sid=9175868c8&_ss=r

bobthecoward

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 31 January 2023, 19:59:59 »
I haven't picked it up yet because I'm still not sure I understand it.

It is the part from Redemption Rites from the other side?

FenderSaxbey

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 31 January 2023, 20:20:04 »
Just popped in to say you did good and you should feel good. Thoroughly enjoyed your book.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #8 on: 01 February 2023, 03:10:31 »
I haven't picked it up yet because I'm still not sure I understand it.

It is the part from Redemption Rites from the other side?

Yes, and no.
It's not just the battle, but tells the story of Jacinda before and after it. It also has additional characters, of course. We get to see a different kind Wolf warriors and how things are changing. Not just one battle where the Dragoons got hammered.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #9 on: 01 February 2023, 03:11:51 »
Just popped in to say you did good and you should feel good. Thoroughly enjoyed your book.

Thank you. I really loved writing it, because I took an instant liking to Jacinda when I read her character entry in EA. Really happy I got to tell this story.

Known Glitch

• Warrant Officer
  • Why haven't we fixed this yet?
« Reply #10 on: 01 February 2023, 14:28:42 »

lobezno

• Recruit
« Reply #11 on: 02 February 2023, 10:46:15 »
Once thing I forgot to ask!(spoilers ahead:)

What was the point of killing the doctor in such a boring offscreen manner? I found his relationship to Jacinda actually quite interesting.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #12 on: 02 February 2023, 13:05:43 »
Once thing I forgot to ask!(spoilers ahead:)

What was the point of killing the doctor in such a boring offscreen manner? I found his relationship to Jacinda actually quite interesting.

I think I have to go deeper into my writing process here to explain what happened:
When I write, most of the time I have no idea what will happen. I experience the story as I write it. Of course, that doesn't work in a shared universe like Battletech, but I still retain some of that process when writing Battletech. Secondary or tertiary characters are often the place where that shows the most.
My original draft had Samuel die even more boring. It just happened. Jacinda was informed about it, but we didn't get much background what happened.
Phil (my editor) was confused if it might have been an attack or anything. It wasn't. He just didn't show up to the meeting (I had no idea why) and when Jacinda got back, she was told he died. No explanation.
So I changed that and added more information.
Why it happened? I really don't know.
I think it worked out well for Jacinda's character development, because it was so pointless and offscreen (for her, too). She needed that loss, that blow, so my subconscious gave it to her. But it was not an actual decision I made.
I fear that is the best answer I can give you.

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #13 on: 03 February 2023, 00:31:06 »
It worked for me.

Thanks, I enjoyed the story very much!  The 2/12 kills was a neat addition to the ToP lore.
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Orwell84

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 03 February 2023, 05:37:57 »
Oh, and as far as so few responses go: Dominions Divided hit the same day as Lethal Lessons. I assume most people are reading the big story advancing sourcebook before they get to my little novella :)

Speaking for myself, yes, the RasDom took priority, plus I'm backlogged with non-BT novels right now. But based on your previous work I expect I'll like this one when I get to it later this month.
All Clan totems are equal but some are more equal than others.

"The Succession Wars solved no problem. Their effects, both immediate and indirect, were either negative or disastrous. Morally subversive, economically destructive, socially degrading, confused in their causes, devious in their course, futile in their results, they are the outstanding example in Spheroid history of meaningless conflict."
The Third Star League's view of the Succession Wars, plagiarised from an ancient Terran historian's judgement of the Thirty Years War.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #15 on: 03 February 2023, 18:31:23 »
It worked for me.

Thanks, I enjoyed the story very much!

You're welcome :)

The 2/12 kills was a neat addition to the ToP lore.

Yeah, I really enjoyed this idea.
Let's see if it will come to bite Jacinda or Miranda and Darwin in the ass. ;)

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #16 on: 04 February 2023, 14:56:56 »
You're welcome :)

Yeah, I really enjoyed this idea.
Let's see if it will come to bite Jacinda or Miranda and Darwin in the ass. ;)

Of course it will!  Thats the fun part- seeing the plot hooks left dangling for the fishies to bite  ;D
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
  • Stephanie & Jiyi Chistu "Restoring Honor to CJF !"
    • Clan Jade Falcon:  SWTOR
« Reply #17 on: 08 February 2023, 07:56:58 »
For a Falcon, I enjoyed your novel 8) In the end it is still Clan, quiaff

Perhaps as I can liken it to Jiyi.

But yes, like The Jade Dominion, I appreciate the (reduced) Wolf Empire too

I liked Jacinda's character, and epsecially Miranda and Darwin

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #18 on: 08 February 2023, 08:28:26 »
For a Falcon, I enjoyed your novel
Not sure that is a good thing :P

8) In the end it is still Clan, quiaff

Aff

I liked Jacinda's character, and epsecially Miranda and Darwin

Thank you. Me too. I came into this book for Havinda, I stayed for all three of them.
Will be interesting to see how Darwin's single syllable word thing will play out when he is in command :D