Author Topic: Future TRO Artwork  (Read 4718 times)

Tangoforone

• Master Sergeant
Future TRO Artwork
« on: 22 November 2019, 16:44:12 »
I think the artwork should be updated to match the new minis being released, and what better art to represent new minis than the 'In-Development' sketches and final drawings being provided during the Kickstarter.  I think those sketches give a good combination between technical prints and artwork, and they will match the minis that people will purchase.  I imagine a few of those sketches exist for the AGOAC and BB minis as well.

Not everything may be included, but is it a good idea to include content that doesn't have a plastic miniature for it?  If Catalyst is trying to market the plastic minis, what better way to do so than to create a TRO that has the plastic minis they have released, the artwork to represent them, a couple variants, and the lore (which should include predominant factions who used that unit)?  Especially with Sarna and the MUL as such large resources for this game, if someone wants to read up on the units from 3025 or whatever era that are not included in the above TRO it is easy enough to search the old TROs on Sarna or the units by era in the MUL.

I have a nostalgia for the old stuff as most do, but now is as good a time as any to update the artwork for future releases of the TROs, both in PDF and in print, instead of releasing artwork that is outdated by miniature standards.

Let's hear your thoughts on the matter.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
Re: Future TRO Artwork
« Reply #1 on: 23 November 2019, 05:16:50 »
Well considering that these

Were just made public on the kickstarter, i'd not be surprised if we see an revised Clan Invasion TRO in the least.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #2 on: 23 November 2019, 10:54:37 »
A TRO: Kickstarter would not be unwelcome. IMO it would need something extra besides new art to further distinguish it from TRO: Clan Invasion

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #3 on: 23 November 2019, 19:44:03 »
Those are gorgeous!  The Executioner is looking meaner than ever!
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #4 on: 23 November 2019, 19:59:52 »

I hope to someday see an updated (& debugged) version of MW2: Mercs with the KS models.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #5 on: 23 November 2019, 20:17:40 »
Short of Microsoft buying Activision, I don't see that as being likely to happen this century.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Crimson Dawn

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 23 November 2019, 23:22:20 »
Honesty they really do not have to.  I am sure if Microsoft (or whomever Microsoft allows to) wanted to they could make a game about you playing a merc creating a lance and going through a campaign leading up through the clan invasion would be fully possible.

Heck as much as I like that game (and I really do) it could be made better by better following the lore and even going thorough Turkiyed. So Microsoft get on that!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #7 on: 24 November 2019, 01:06:17 »
Isn't Mechwarrior 5 supposed to go from 3015 up until the Clan Invasion?  All they really need at that point is an expansion to take it into the 3050s.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

shivanwurm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 24 November 2019, 01:52:22 »
It would be nice if we got some sort of line art collection(not even a TRO) once they are all done after the KS.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #9 on: 24 November 2019, 01:54:30 »
I'm still hoping for a coloring book
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 24 November 2019, 08:43:26 »

seconded!!
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 24 November 2019, 10:28:50 »

I can't help but think this would be a fairly easy thing to pull off using print on demand.  They'd be limited to the newer art as it's often cleaner and unshaded, but page layout would be as simple as slapping the image in the middle of the page.  Really, getting the cover made would be the most resource intensive part of it followed by selecting the images.

Then again, they could just throw all the images into a public server and let us print them out ourselves.   ;D
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #12 on: 24 November 2019, 10:44:49 »
... guys, nothing is stopping you from printing out and coloring in the art work :P
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Asgo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #13 on: 24 November 2019, 10:50:24 »
... guys, nothing is stopping you from printing out and coloring in the art work :P
they are probably missing the "paint by numbers" numbers. <ducks for cover>

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 24 November 2019, 11:06:46 »
they are probably missing the "paint by numbers" numbers. <ducks for cover>

true, and true again ...

I have a fairly large word file with lots of project phoenix stuff.  Something official would be kind of cool though.
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #15 on: 24 November 2019, 14:04:02 »
Wow. These look pretty good. I'm a fan of the Executioner... I think it's probably the best Clan redesign so far.
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

Crimson Dawn

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #16 on: 24 November 2019, 15:22:24 »
Wow. These look pretty good. I'm a fan of the Executioner... I think it's probably the best Clan redesign so far.

I have to agree with this.  It went from a design I always thought looked really dumb to something that looks cool and intimidating.  For me that is a huge change.

Tangoforone

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: 26 November 2019, 19:04:12 »
They released that new line art just as I posted this basically. I do think that the In Development artwork would better represent a technical readout, though I am not opposed to the line art either. I'm on the fence for buying the most recent tro because there doesn't seem to be anything new between the old tro and new tro. But then again, if I want my game store to carry battletech stuff I need to buy battletech stuff from them.