Author Topic: Bannsons's Raiders  (Read 4218 times)

DarkSpade

• Major
Re: Bannsons's Raiders
« Reply #30 on: 06 July 2020, 20:38:23 »
I really hated Danai in that book(if I'm thinking of the same one. one with two stories in it?). I felt like they could have replaced her with generic CC officer #4 and it wouldn't have changed anything.  Her character was much more interesting previously, but now she's as shallow as a dog bowl.

I don't see Anastasia being a RotS spy.  There's nothing I've read that could support the idea.  And what failures? Sure she didn't take earth, but she's arguably the first clanner to even land a force on the planet.  Or is she a failure because of her taking part in that trilogy because holy crap those books were bad.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #31 on: 06 July 2020, 21:23:23 »
I'm fairly certain that she's really a Republican spy sent to infiltrate and destroy the Wolves. As far as the Steel Wolves go, Anastasia hasn't really suffered for her failures. This is strange for the Clans who hold success in such high regard. Anastasia stinks up the joint and is now saKhan? How utterly completely staggeringly incompetent was Garner Kerensky any ways? Either that Anastasia is Asa Taney reborn. The names even sound alike.

Lol, she has gone through at least a trinary of warriors who think they would do better back in Steel Wolves days . .  had a tech try to assassinate her . . . and was defeated so she was taken bondswoman.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #32 on: 07 July 2020, 00:08:47 »
The way things went with her remind me of when in a comic book you get a writer who has this specific story arc they do for a character, then the next writer who comes in hates that character and makes them randomly become stupid and evil so that they can tell a story with their own favorite character.

A hazard of having an IP where multiple authors handle the same characters for a significant length of time.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
« Reply #33 on: 07 July 2020, 00:43:50 »
The way things went with her remind me of when in a comic book you get a writer who has this specific story arc they do for a character, then the next writer who comes in hates that character and makes them randomly become stupid and evil so that they can tell a story with their own favorite character.

A hazard of having an IP where multiple authors handle the same characters for a significant length of time.

Oh, like the whole Jihad thing...  ;D

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #34 on: 07 July 2020, 01:44:02 »
Love it or hate the Jihad was in the works since '58 . . . Anastasia's problem basically went from being introduced by . . . Coleman?  And then we get a new trilogy by someone who never seemed to have read the character.  Tassa Kay was a GREAT character as introduced on Archenar IMO, her involvement with Raul, her 'get out of jail' card from the Exarch (what DID happen on Dieron?), and other things . . . the book is one of my favorite of the early MWDA stories- and the bad guys were the MWDA faction I liked to play, they were the representatives of 'my' Wolves!
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #35 on: 07 July 2020, 05:47:17 »
Not just by some one who had never read the character but some one who was also bad writter who might not had even cared about characters and setting. And it really shows how bad Proving Grounds Trilogy is. I have seen better writting even from my least favorite 40k author Ben Counter who's fault is writting dry stories without giving any personality to characters involved. And yes, Space Marines have personalities.
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

James Bedford

• Private
  • Clan Spirit Cat Seyla!
    • OH and MD Mechwarrior group
« Reply #36 on: 13 July 2020, 14:18:42 »
Proving Grounds Trilogy is really bad.  And it's a shame because ever since then the BattleTech fiction has been trying to build a narrative around those events and how monumental they were.  But the books just fail at delivering it.

Reading Highlander Covenant makes it even more frustrating.
Clan Spirit Cat Seyla!

Quote from: Worktroll
Face it - MW:DA had, for its run, massively greater commercial success than BattleTech's ever had. Over two million click-base minis - want to guess where the number of BT minis comes in? I'd guess on the order of a few percent of that. While BT has survived for 30 years, we've never had the same number of players at any point. The pity was that unlike BT, MW:DA ended up being run by businessmen, not game fanatics.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #37 on: 13 July 2020, 14:36:17 »
Covenant?  You mean the Grey Watch?  Heck even when Julian & Friends are basing off Northwind with Paladin Ariana Zou nearly a dozen books later, it gets messed with by Del Rio.
Colt Ward

James Bedford

• Private
  • Clan Spirit Cat Seyla!
    • OH and MD Mechwarrior group
« Reply #38 on: 13 July 2020, 15:17:08 »
Yeah, I meant Grey Watch.  And I'm aware that almost every Dark Age Novel touches on it.  Grey Watch just adds even more to the frustration mix.
Clan Spirit Cat Seyla!

Quote from: Worktroll
Face it - MW:DA had, for its run, massively greater commercial success than BattleTech's ever had. Over two million click-base minis - want to guess where the number of BT minis comes in? I'd guess on the order of a few percent of that. While BT has survived for 30 years, we've never had the same number of players at any point. The pity was that unlike BT, MW:DA ended up being run by businessmen, not game fanatics.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #39 on: 13 July 2020, 15:38:37 »
Oh yeah, Anastasia, Tara and the Black Paladin feature prominently until the FWL arc takes over.  But IIRC the only novel that revisits Northwind is . . Fortress?
Colt Ward

Register