Author Topic: Fan Made TRO - Project NELSON.  (Read 6427 times)

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
Fan Made TRO - Project NELSON.
« on: 12 July 2020, 14:47:46 »
Last year I, working with friends and artists released Project Zhukov, which was an attempt to flesh out the Hell's Horses who, for many years had been called the Tank Clan, but until fairly recent TRO's had basically nothing to show for it as theirs.  And you can get this here - https://drive.google.com/file/d/15eVrYnYNKYYuMNvuGnitKYaXTuVplNEq/view?usp=sharing

This helped me establish in my head an AU setting now called the 'Zhukoverse' which was coined by a friend who has helped me work on these projects. So we started talking about what to do next. We wanted to keep expanding upon Clans where we've been told they are good at X but have never or are rarely shown this. And this immediately made me think of the Snow Ravens. In their background and story, the Ravens are 'The Naval Clan' but we didn't get anything that was distinctly Clan Snow Raven in the aerospace area until the Wusun in TRO 3085. So, fitting the Raven's into the Zhukoverse was felt to make sense and to be the next step.

But what to do with them? WarShip refits? Fighters? DropShips or more? The answer to that question is 'yes'. It was then a case of fitting them into the Zhukoverse and seeing what could change without making them overpowered or having 'favored faction' status either. And, I like to think that I've succeeded in that with this Project.

I will note that this is a 'beta' as we're waiting on 4 pictures of WarShips to be done and once they're added they'll be put into the book and the link here will be updated. But with Matt Plog being a very busy man, this could still easily be a month away. This aside, it is complete.

So it gives me great pleasure to present Project NELSON for your reading pleasure and enjoyment! I'd like to thank the people that helped with this and their input and patience as well as the amazing work by the artists, proof reader and PDF folks!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KA95zGLd8-V30gcrXuBhH7eJWkZs34fo/view?usp=sharing

As always, any comments are most welcome, positive or negative, please read and enjoy!
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

cawest

• Captain
Re: Fan Made TRO - Project NELSON.
« Reply #1 on: 12 July 2020, 14:54:57 »
looking forward to reading this. 

wolfcannon

• Lieutenant
    • wolfcannon's photobucket album
« Reply #2 on: 12 July 2020, 14:57:00 »
dam fine work.
Daniels Avenger                Clan Coyote
General Jennifer Daniels    Galaxy Commander Jim Skyes
                                        Omicron Galaxy
Clan Wolf in Exile
328th Assault Cluster(the Lion Hearted)
Star Captain James Sword

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 12 July 2020, 15:01:47 »
Last year I, working with friends and artists released Project Zhukov, which was an attempt to flesh out the Hell's Horses who, for many years had been called the Tank Clan, but until fairly recent TRO's had basically nothing to show for it as theirs.  And you can get this here - https://drive.google.com/file/d/15eVrYnYNKYYuMNvuGnitKYaXTuVplNEq/view?usp=sharing

This helped me establish in my head an AU setting now called the 'Zhukoverse' which was coined by a friend who has helped me work on these projects. So we started talking about what to do next. We wanted to keep expanding upon Clans where we've been told they are good at X but have never or are rarely shown this. And this immediately made me think of the Snow Ravens. In their background and story, the Ravens are 'The Naval Clan' but we didn't get anything that was distinctly Clan Snow Raven in the aerospace area until the Wusun in TRO 3085. So, fitting the Raven's into the Zhukoverse was felt to make sense and to be the next step.

But what to do with them? WarShip refits? Fighters? DropShips or more? The answer to that question is 'yes'. It was then a case of fitting them into the Zhukoverse and seeing what could change without making them overpowered or having 'favored faction' status either. And, I like to think that I've succeeded in that with this Project.

I will note that this is a 'beta' as we're waiting on 4 pictures of WarShips to be done and once they're added they'll be put into the book and the link here will be updated. But with Matt Plog being a very busy man, this could still easily be a month away. This aside, it is complete.

So it gives me great pleasure to present Project NELSON for your reading pleasure and enjoyment! I'd like to thank the people that helped with this and their input and patience as well as the amazing work by the artists, proof reader and PDF folks!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KA95zGLd8-V30gcrXuBhH7eJWkZs34fo/view?usp=sharing

As always, any comments are most welcome, positive or negative, please read and enjoy!

damn that's some nice work.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 12 July 2020, 15:13:41 »
Blimey you lot read fast! :D  But please lemme know your thoughts!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #5 on: 12 July 2020, 15:27:57 »
Still not a clan fan, but any excuse to see Plog's other work on display, I'll take!  :thumbsup:

And thank you again Marauder, for pointing me to him.  I'll have to throw some additional work his way once I've paid off the taxes (my exemptions didn't keep up with my children growing up!  :-[)

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 12 July 2020, 15:35:54 »
Still not a clan fan, but any excuse to see Plog's other work on display, I'll take!  :thumbsup:

And thank you again Marauder, for pointing me to him.  I'll have to throw some additional work his way once I've paid off the taxes (my exemptions didn't keep up with my children growing up!  :-[)

Glad to be of service and I hope ya like the writing as well as the art :)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #7 on: 12 July 2020, 15:39:53 »
Your writing has been quite good... it's just the subject matter I don't find interesting.  And I'm one who reads The Economist for pleasure!

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 12 July 2020, 15:57:43 »
Hah! Fair enough :D

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #9 on: 12 July 2020, 16:03:01 »
Seriously, I can't recommend The Economist highly enough.  Their obituaries are the best writing in the magazine.  They wrote one on Dame Vera a week ago, and it moved me to tears.  And I'm not even British!

You can register for free, and get three free articles per week.

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 12 July 2020, 22:19:40 »
okay i have not finished it and only skimmed it.  i did notice that the space base clan does not have a BA, small craft or dropship that support the SAR mission or recovering items in space. 

Also how about a small mobile ship yard? 

i have an idea about aero pilots that are down checked.  How about an atmosphere only fighter/ground attack. 

just being a good idea fairy. 

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #11 on: 12 July 2020, 23:48:30 »
Wow.  Catalyst is looking at you sideways, man, wondering, "Who is this guy?" by now.  I can't spare the time to really look at it due to a surprise bathroom reno right now, talk about incentive to get it done.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 13 July 2020, 01:26:14 »
i did notice that the space base clan does not have a BA, small craft or dropship that support the SAR mission or recovering items in space.

Also how about a small mobile ship yard? 

I would guess that the Kestrel would find gainful employment in the SAR role, the Skua is space adapted so can do EVA's and is indeed designed for it. The small mobile shipyard is a good idea but I didn't think of it :D Also it might have an issue in the Clan's Trial based system. You loose than and you've just given your rival a shipyard. Probably better to keep everything centralised at Lum.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #13 on: 13 July 2020, 05:58:43 »
Or simply "off the books" where your rivals never see it...  ^-^

Kasaga

• Lieutenant
    • Project: LEGION (An AU by Kasaga)
« Reply #14 on: 13 July 2020, 09:30:32 »
I love it.  Can't wait for the finished product.  I'm in the middle of reading everything on it.  So glad to see this community is going strong still.  I'm going to try and pound out the next part of my Project Legion while I'm waiting for Star Citizen patch and to go back to work after my month vacation.

Keep it up brother.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 13 July 2020, 14:45:41 »
Wow.  Catalyst is looking at you sideways, man, wondering, "Who is this guy?" by now.  I can't spare the time to really look at it due to a surprise bathroom reno right now, talk about incentive to get it done.

If they want it i'd let them have it :D And i'd love to hear your thoughts and feedback :)

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #16 on: 13 July 2020, 15:03:13 »
Wow buddy, what a great job!  :thumbsup:

I've only skimmed this very pretty fanbook but I love the InnerSphere names for Clan fighters, great angle. A lot of good stuff and the art is ridiculously good.

Keep up the fantastic BattleTeching!!

Can't wait to see the next Clan.  >:D

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #17 on: 13 July 2020, 15:23:16 »
+1 more for the art!  :thumbsup:

Seriously, Plog is great... more people should be commissioning him for custom work, even if it slows down how much of his stuff I can pay for...  8)

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #18 on: 13 July 2020, 16:57:04 »

Great to see it reach this stage. The cover is spectacular, the writing is very clean and excellent use of art. Also the naming overview is a great innovation.

The only suggestions that I can give is to use two columns for text (it is very wide right now), and to use different font between the class size and underlying classes for clarity (p27-p32).
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 14 July 2020, 03:11:30 »
Great to see it reach this stage. The cover is spectacular, the writing is very clean and excellent use of art. Also the naming overview is a great innovation.

The only suggestions that I can give is to use two columns for text (it is very wide right now), and to use different font between the class size and underlying classes for clarity (p27-p32).

Really glad you like it :) And I'll see what we can do about the layout for the names :)

rufusexc

• Private
« Reply #20 on: 14 July 2020, 04:39:21 »
Excuse me, but the Omnifighters were not supposed to have the names referring to the Asian steppe population (e.g. Mongol, Genghiz, Kyrgyz, etc.) and, the Aerospace fighters the names referring to Alexander the Great (Issus, Tyre, etc.)?

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 14 July 2020, 06:51:56 »
Excuse me, but the Omnifighters were not supposed to have the names referring to the Asian steppe population (e.g. Mongol, Genghiz, Kyrgyz, etc.) and, the Aerospace fighters the names referring to Alexander the Great (Issus, Tyre, etc.)?

Yes and no with regards to the names. For example the Bashkir are Russians that originated in Iran, the Turk = the Turkish :) The Vandals were Germanic and so on. So the name whilst it seems to be Mongol themed with Jengiz, Sabutai etc, its not solidly set in stone because a lot of the others are indo-european/early European or Middle Eastern. So the naming convention, at least to my mind is more akin to 'tribal people' and with all the obvious ones taken from the Mongolians and Eurasians without having HUGE names, I cast the net wider and went for African, and American peoples to give them some representation, and there's a selection of very good names that would appeal to the Clanners.

And if someone brought it up in a Khan council you could use the admittedly loose naming designation to rules lawyer your way around it :D Also you can easily head canon it that the Snow Ravens perform rituals that would not look too out of place in Native American Tribes, considering that many of them and many other Tribal peoples venerated the Raven as a divine animal, the Snow Raven's might have something similar, and this could then be used to explain the Native American names that cropped up in this setting. That and I just wanted some more inclusion and African and Native American Tribal names felt like a good way of doing it :)

You're 100% correct about 2nd line fighters, they're named after stuff/battles/generals related to Alexander the darn handsome and its why I used those names for the 2 Hells Horses stuff, the Grannicus is named after a battle for example :)
« Last Edit: 14 July 2020, 07:22:02 by marauder648 »

Yu Kigono

• Private
« Reply #22 on: 14 July 2020, 14:16:38 »
Fantastic work marauder, just like Project Zhukov in quality. However, I have a small bit of errata: In the entry for the Saga, the location of the SRMs and ER Mediums are flipped, so the missiles are in the arms, and lasers in the torso.

kindalas

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #23 on: 14 July 2020, 14:52:53 »
I'm really enjoying this document.

One quick question don't battle armor bays take 2 tons per trooper?

Because your tanks are calculating it at 1 ton per trooper.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 14 July 2020, 15:45:17 »
I'm really enjoying this document.

One quick question don't battle armor bays take 2 tons per trooper?

Because your tanks are calculating it at 1 ton per trooper.

Depends on the BA :) A Standard Elemental is a 1 ton unit and takes up 1 ton, anything above 1 ton costs 2. Also did you see the Snow Raven document? Thats really what this is about :D

And that raises another question, would ya'll like to know more about this AU and soforth? We've got ideas and as you can see in the NELSON book we hint at them and indeed, straight out say stuff about what else happens elsewhere.  So.  Would you like to know more?
« Last Edit: 14 July 2020, 15:50:20 by marauder648 »

georgiaboy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #25 on: 14 July 2020, 16:35:03 »
Yes, More Please!
"Constructive critism is never a bad comment"
-Me

"By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher."
- Socrates

Dukeroyal

• Sergeant
« Reply #26 on: 14 July 2020, 18:48:33 »
I would definitely like to know more.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #27 on: 14 July 2020, 21:29:52 »
Hang on....

Would you like to know more? Starship Troopers!

Think like a pirate? Down Periscope!

Are you placing movie qoute throughout all of your work?  ;D

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 14 July 2020, 23:49:41 »
Hang on....

Would you like to know more? Starship Troopers!

Think like a pirate? Down Periscope!

Are you placing movie qoute throughout all of your work?  ;D

I've smattered the odd reference there, you get a cookie if you spot the naming convention for the Sivalinn class Cruiser :D

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #29 on: 15 July 2020, 05:39:40 »
Interesting document Marauder I'll have to have a second look but looks like a fantastic start, thank you
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3