Author Topic: Battle Angel Alita Trailer posted  (Read 14855 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Re: Battle Angel Alita Trailer posted
« Reply #60 on: 15 February 2019, 13:26:53 »
I got you.  It was just too funny to pass that up.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #61 on: 15 February 2019, 15:52:38 »
Meh..  Doesn't look like anything i'd be interested in..
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #62 on: 16 February 2019, 11:08:23 »

I just saw it, and I got to say that it was one of the most polished movies that I have seen in years.
CGI, acting, and plot have been done expertly, and honestly this is the best cyberpunk we had in decades.
Casual moviegoers get a great movie and fans get a great take on Battle Angel Alita (includes elements from later books).

I will buy the blueray and I want to see a sequel.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #63 on: 16 February 2019, 13:23:52 »
I just saw it, and I got to say that it was one of the most polished movies that I have seen in years.
CGI, acting, and plot have been done expertly, and honestly this is the best cyberpunk we had in decades.
Casual moviegoers get a great movie and fans get a great take on Battle Angel Alita (includes elements from later books).

I will buy the blueray and I want to see a sequel.

You just almost exactly what I wanted to say...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #64 on: 16 February 2019, 13:34:15 »
One extra note, unlike most movies, this one is worth the 3D.
And I almost never say that.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #65 on: 16 February 2019, 13:38:04 »
Good to know... I'm planning to see it tomorrow, so that's timely gouge!  :thumbsup:

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #66 on: 16 February 2019, 13:47:02 »
One extra note, unlike most movies, this one is worth the 3D.
And I almost never say that.

I don't think the theater I was in had it available in 3D, but I would have been somewhat tempted...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #67 on: 16 February 2019, 18:17:37 »
I liked it.   Putting the two plots together was a nice way to keep it from slogging.  Most of the fights were decently lit as well.  The emotional arcs worked very well too. 

My 20-ish year memories of the OVA and scattered reading of the Manga meshed pretty well with the movie also.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #68 on: 16 February 2019, 21:08:49 »
I wasnt as happy with the original 4un of the manga. I competely loved Last Order series which I felt had broader story to tell and it was enjoyable.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #69 on: 16 February 2019, 23:04:58 »
I wasnt as happy with the original 4un of the manga. I competely loved Last Order series which I felt had broader story to tell and it was enjoyable.

Well, so much about the setting was deliberately kept a mystery in the original run. Last Order jumped right out the gate raining truth bombs on people.

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #70 on: 16 February 2019, 23:12:22 »
Well, so much about the setting was deliberately kept a mystery in the original run. Last Order jumped right out the gate raining truth bombs on people.
LOL.... BAA was a love poem. BAA:LO was a thesis on bondage & politics in the Star Wars universe in comparison... Truth bombs indeed :D
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #71 on: 17 February 2019, 19:32:03 »
Saw it in 3D today... really amazing CGI!  It felt like large parts of the story were left out though, and not just because of a few rough cuts.  And I say that without having read the manga.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #72 on: 17 February 2019, 20:39:35 »
Saw it in 3D today... really amazing CGI!  It felt like large parts of the story were left out though, and not just because of a few rough cuts.  And I say that without having read the manga.

Actually, it was very much like the anime version (of course, it has been over a decade since I last watched it, so I might be forgetting something...might be time to break out the DVD)...there is much more in the manga version though; background and future stories.,.

Ruger

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #73 on: 17 February 2019, 21:13:20 »
Her later upgrades would make some Canopians jealous if they get that far with sequels.

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #74 on: 18 February 2019, 03:42:52 »
I saw it on Thursday, I thought it was pretty good, with that said I remember watching some anime of it just can't remember if it was the anime or an anime movie (if there was one)
some of the key plot points that really got me as being handled very well had to do with the heart, her friend (boyfriend) and dr syrin.

with that said while its an excellent movie, there are definitely some very sick evil people and plot threads that occur, so I can understand why one of the trailers in the theater I went to, was a horror movie one.

as to her survival it definitely seemed to me that when certain events happened in the past her "core" went into preservation life support mode, which meant that her heart, dialed down to minimal mode which considering the type of power source it is, also meant that it wasn't using fuel very fast. as far as nutrients to keep the brain alive I took that as a combination of setting the life support to a minimum resource use mode, but also question the size of the reserves, and whether the "core" had some way of scavenging from the environment to restock.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #75 on: 18 February 2019, 17:45:52 »
Just how spoilerish do we want to go here regarding Alita/Gally/Yoko's manga back history?  Considering we aren't even sure we will get a sequel and considering we won't know just how the cinematic story will go if we do?

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #76 on: 18 February 2019, 19:03:08 »
If you're gonna go manga backstory from Mars Chronicle, it's still pretty fresh, I'd recommend spoilers.  I'd also strongly emphasize you're dealing with manga backstory, which is going to be different from the film adaptation.  Not by bloody much, it seems, since Cameron and co. did their homework and then some, but anything we don't see (or have referenced) in the film we don't want to assume too much about.

That said, finally got to see it, hot damn that was so much better than I expected or hoped.  Hell, my mother wanted to see it and she came along; she's never seen or read any of the source material (hadn't even heard of it until she saw the trailer) and loved the movie complete with cheering in the battles.  Clearly it's totally something that people who aren't even interested in anime and don't know the tropes or stories will still enjoy.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #77 on: 18 February 2019, 19:17:51 »

That is something I have also noticed, this movie has a very wide audience appeal.
Men & Women, Young & Old, and across cultures.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #78 on: 19 February 2019, 02:46:16 »
I guessed as much, hence the spoiler tag in my post.  That being said, finding out about her past as well as Mars' history 200 years in past was just so weird, it was just about on par with Bastard!'s story from the manga.  It did feel like almost 2 separate stories.  Also finding out her actual heritage and how she ended up in the scrapyard was quite surprising.

Like I said, those would be interesting things to adapt, if Cameron & Rodriguez decide to continue telling her story.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #79 on: 19 February 2019, 21:46:31 »
Technical note I'd like to address on the film, and something that I was really happy over.  No shaky-cam BS, AND while slow-motion was used it wasn't like Snyder's weird fetishy look at it (like say 300) but simply to smooth out what would be a blink-and-miss-it moment into something you can easily follow and understand what's going on, yet not going so slow that you lose the kinetic interest and tension build up.  It's just enough to catch the action, while keeping the speed and spectacle up, and I give Cameron mass props for striking that subtle balance.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #80 on: 20 February 2019, 20:28:54 »
Just saw it tonight.  I don't recommend the 3D.  It just doesn't add anything and it doesn't take long before you're invested in the story enough to not even notice it anymore.

The movie itself was great.  It does cram a lot in, but I think anyone who hasn't read the manga probably wouldn't even notice. I went with two people that haven't and they're both already demanding a sequel.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #81 on: 20 February 2019, 20:49:38 »
Technical note I'd like to address on the film, and something that I was really happy over.  No shaky-cam BS, AND while slow-motion was used it wasn't like Snyder's weird fetishy look at it (like say 300) but simply to smooth out what would be a blink-and-miss-it moment into something you can easily follow and understand what's going on, yet not going so slow that you lose the kinetic interest and tension build up.  It's just enough to catch the action, while keeping the speed and spectacle up, and I give Cameron mass props for striking that subtle balance.
I looked at the time adjustment effects as kind of like the matrix where they did a slow down to as mentioned let us "see" what happened in that split second of action (altho in the matrix they also went the other way) IE to do time acceleration to make it look like they are doing things really fast

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #82 on: 21 February 2019, 11:20:15 »
For those people who, like me, haven't read the original manga, they're currently available on Kindle Unlimited if you've already got a subscription.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #83 on: 23 February 2019, 18:05:59 »
Amendment to the above, it's only the first three volumes of the manga that are on Kindle Unlimited, but that covers mostly the same stuff as the movie.

Just got back from seeing it.  Enjoyed it though I wish that they hadn't gone for quite such a cliffhanger.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #84 on: 24 February 2019, 08:25:13 »
If i call correctly, the manga ended on cliff hanger didn't it?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #85 on: 24 February 2019, 09:09:04 »
I wouldn't really call the movie a cliff hanger.  More like a set up for another movie

If i call correctly, the manga ended on cliff hanger didn't it?

Yes, then no, then Yes again.

Basically, the ending was a cliff hanger, but then another chapter was released.  Some time later, that chapter was decanonized and then Last Order came out.  I think Last Order is still coming out?
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #86 on: 24 February 2019, 09:10:48 »
I wouldn't really call the movie a cliff hanger.  More like a set up for another movie

Yes, then no, then Yes again.

Basically, the ending was a cliff hanger, but then another chapter was released.  Some time later, that chapter was decanonized and then Last Order came out.  I think Last Order is still coming out?

Pretty sure it's over although I have to get the last several volumes (only got up to 12, and according to Wikipedia, it stops at 19 volumes for Last Order; it ran from November of 2000 to January of 2014 in Japan...the original made it up to 9 volumes, and then there is Martian Chronicle, which is a new series that has started coming out as a sequel to Last Order...it's up to 6 volumes as of the Wiki entry, and is ongoing per that information).

Edit 2: There is also a singular volume prequel manga story called Ashen Victor set in the same world, but prior to the events of the original Battle Angel in the Scrapyard...

Ruger
« Last Edit: 24 February 2019, 09:15:40 by Ruger »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #87 on: 24 February 2019, 12:32:05 »
Unfortunately, Last Order finally finished coming out couple years ago. They buttoned it up with her going back to Mars find her past.  Right now the author seems to be interested in the prequel time period showing her past, which frankly i'm not digging.  Others may find it more appealing seeing her as young girl struggling to grow up and surviving on harsh lands of Mars, which is not unlike madmax setting with horrors of life "Child" soldier trying to survive.  It's too much for me, i wanted more of the continuation of Last Order or another evolution of the story with that style story telling.  I don't think were going get it with the artist / author going current direction of the story.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #88 on: 24 February 2019, 13:06:41 »

Mars Chronicles is a mix of prequel and continuation, now it very prequel heavy but I think that a switch is coming.
Personally I hope to see where she gets the gun-creature.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #89 on: 27 February 2019, 02:51:36 »
I saw the movie tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it.  I'm certainly hoping for a sequel(s), but it is all I get then I hope there is a directors cut with just a small amount of additional footage.

Register