Author Topic: Favorite Factory/Production Site  (Read 3379 times)

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
Favorite Factory/Production Site
« on: 25 May 2020, 10:22:18 »
We've had favorite medium mech, favorite asf, favorite, well, most everything, but I was thinking of some factories the other day & it got me thinking what are people's favorites.

Maybe its that it makes your favorite unit (Mech/BA/Warship, whatever)

Maybe its the way its designed.  (Under a Mountain like Hesperus)

Maybe its where it is  (Terra, New Avalon, etc etc.)

Or Maybe its just some company that has some great fluff that you love.

So like the title says,  What is your favorite Factory/Production Site Location?

And I do mean specific factory location,  both the maker & the world.

So Achernar + New Avalon  v/s  just saying Earthworks or Hesperus.

For me, I think it might be the NETC Factories in the New Earth system.

They had several, mostly Vehicles, but also a Dropship line & eventually some Mechs in the Dark Age.

Their products were pretty much sold to anyone & everyone in the Terran corridor.

Finally, and really most important, it was the world we were based out of in my old MW-1 RPG campaign of the Late 80's - Early 90's

Vehicles = Karnov, Engineering Vehicle, Myrmidon, Vedette, Manticore, Alacorn
Dropships = Gazelle, Dragau, Castrum
Mechs = Kheper, Uraeus, Fwltur (Industrial)

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Favorite Factory/Production Site
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2020, 14:23:56 »
I'm going to go with the Quickscell plant on Ares.  Some time ago, I fluffed it as the place manufacturing my PPC Scorpion variant...

Hellfire

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2020, 23:33:43 »
My favorite shipyard is at Alarion, because of the FWL attack that knocked out at least some of the Jumpship production there for decades in the early 3000s. Knocking out a jumpship factory at the height of the damaging a jumpships being taboo makes quite a few statements.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2020, 23:41:08 »
I love Hesperus!  The history, the many epic battles, everything about it.  I've liked Hesperus since the days of MechWarrior on a 2.86 Tandy.  Great place to buy battlemechs. 
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2020, 23:56:24 »
Olivetti Weaponry on Sudeten.

First, it makes two of my favorite mechs, the Thunderbolt and Warhammer.

Second, I found the bit of backstory cool. Former engineer discovers the place in ruins and gets it back up and running.

And third - During our last campaign, the players merc group was hired to raid Sudeten. This included recovering personnel from Olivetti. Intel from this was used for follow up raids, including the (non-canon) Star League era underground warehouse that had a few Warhammer 7A's and Thunderbolt 5Sb's that needed liberated.

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2020, 23:58:31 »
Hope Industrial  Works, in the Fiefdom of Randis. On Randis actually.
I like manufacturers that aren't under the thumb of the Great Houses. And I like that HIW represents real measurable progress in the Periphery; that it's not just a recycling backwater reusing ancient trash. By the Dark Age they make Warhammers, Dervishes, Firebees, and the Hawkwolf. While they are mostly still Introtech (Succession Wars) level even at that point, it is progress!!
Now if only they started making Phoenix Hawks... they'd be perfect!!  :))
Also, Battletech  doesn't have a lot of factions that feel like "the good guys", but the Brotherhood of Randis come close to fitting the bill. So anything connected to them I'm pretty ok with.  ;)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #6 on: 26 May 2020, 01:07:13 »
Niops

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Sigil

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 26 May 2020, 06:19:28 »
Nimakachi Fusion Products industrial complex on Lapida II.  Built inside the tunnels of a bankrupt underground mining facility originally owned by a company from Sendai, during the Succession Wars it produced both the Spider and Warhammer.  The factory itself was cobbled together during the Succession Wars and due to the continued technical decline, was forced to end production of the Warhammer by 3028, leaving it producing only a single light 'Mech.

Ironically, the Clan Invasion saved the plant, with the DCMS throwing boatloads of cash at Nimakachi and giving it access to LosTech in exchange for every last Spider they could produce.  Nimakachi would go on to produce the successor to the Spider, the 35-ton Venom, beginning in 3050 and the 45-ton quadrupedal Bishamon beginning in 3060.

The tunnels would ultimately save the factory itself, and Nimakachi as a whole, from the Word of Blake during the Jihad.  Nimakachi's primary factory and headquarters on Tematagi were destroyed in 3069 by the Order of the Faithful, an eclectic pirate group started by the Astrokaszian Warlord Sir Obbaka Rashier and manipulated by WoB agent Hadai Tol.

abou

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 26 May 2020, 07:31:18 »
Mine was Independence Weaponry on Quentin... until the Dracs took it.

Syzyx

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 26 May 2020, 09:13:03 »
Gonna hafta go with LexaTech Industries. As for the specific site, Hun Ho was the only location for LexaTech originally but then they seem to have invented Irece for the specific purpose of eliminating the Stinger LAM line without killing the company (and a good chunk of the DC) overall. This leaves me at a bind with canon as I like LexaTech for the aforementioned LAM but quite dislike the shoehorned in world of Irece due to associations.
But as a matter of fact I was quite busy getting potty-trained at the time and had no time for interstellar politics.- ykonoclast

LastChanceCav

• Captain
  • Repossessing the dispossessed ...
« Reply #10 on: 26 May 2020, 10:17:54 »
StarCorps plant on Crofton. Omnimechs and omnivees? Yes please.

Cheers,
LCC
Last Chance Engineering - Bespoke Battlemechs for the refined gentleperson.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #11 on: 26 May 2020, 10:47:37 »
Hope Industrial  Works, in the Fiefdom of Randis. On Randis actually.
I like manufacturers that aren't under the thumb of the Great Houses. And I like that HIW represents real measurable progress in the Periphery; that it's not just a recycling backwater reusing ancient trash. By the Dark Age they make Warhammers, Dervishes, Firebees, and the Hawkwolf. While they are mostly still Introtech (Succession Wars) level even at that point, it is progress!!
Now if only they started making Phoenix Hawks... they'd be perfect!!  :))
Also, Battletech  doesn't have a lot of factions that feel like "the good guys", but the Brotherhood of Randis come close to fitting the bill. So anything connected to them I'm pretty ok with.  ;)

Niops

Two good shouts also Barcella Beta manufacturing my favourite OmniMech the Shadow Cat, along side the Joust and Shoden tanks
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Lord Harlock

• Captain
  • Watching from the Shadows
« Reply #12 on: 26 May 2020, 23:41:40 »
Probably, the Corean Enterprise plant on New Avalon for pumping out Valkyries since the end of the Star League for the most part. However, my favorite jump yard is Challenge Systems at Panpour that supposedly produces Monliths. Well maybe they finally finished one by 3150? The thing about Challenge Systems is that they being working on something for years, but no body knows. The truth is probably that they are bad at making Monolith jumpships.

gleamingterrier

• Corporal
« Reply #13 on: 27 May 2020, 14:29:51 »
SelsSys' Fidelity space complex on Loyalty. Almost as big as the Galax complex, but was able to survive and continue through the Jihad, albeit with reduced production.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #14 on: 28 May 2020, 00:08:24 »
Sekkaris Mekwerks on Mars, and Earthwerks Incorporated on Keystone.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 28 May 2020, 00:22:21 »
ArcRoyal.

They've got a few duds, but there are some very nasty mechs being made there.

Gigastrike

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 29 May 2020, 06:17:53 »
Right now it's the Defiance Industries Furillo plant.  The Uziel and Defiance are neat.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #17 on: 29 May 2020, 09:26:38 »

Back in the Clan Invasion and FedCom Civil War days, Norse-Storm on Loxley and Solaris.  Hard to go wrong with Devastators, every variant of Thunderhawk, the Nightstar, the old school Xanthos, the stealth Hunchback, the LB-20X Hunchback, the modern Swayback, and Maelstroms and Stealths for cavalry and skirmishing.  The name is also great.  Of course, the company, the associated merc unit, and most of those designs originated with a group I played with in Boston during my college days.  (About as munchy as Blackwell on Outreach after the Fourth Succession War...)

Today, I’d go with Kerensky Memorial Manufacturing on Strana Mechty.  Made some of the first Clan omnimechs and was resurrected and remained at the cutting edge of mech design thanks to the Society (albeit in secret).  Still churning out Septicemias, maybe Osteons, and lord knows what else for the Homeworlders as far as we know.

Honorable mention to Vengeance Incorporated on Pirates’s Haven.  Who doesn’t like a mech factory for a bandit king (er, queen)?
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 29 May 2020, 09:30:54 »
Right now it's the Defiance Industries Furillo plant.  The Uziel and Defiance are neat.

While I'm not a fan of the Defiance,  I agree with love for this plant.

Its where the Lyrans produced all their Recon mechs............      Locust, Wasp, & Zeus

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 29 May 2020, 11:22:00 »
back in the day... the gm-blackwell facility that was making the marauder II as listed in objective raids.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #20 on: 29 May 2020, 11:45:20 »
Mine was Independence Weaponry on Quentin... until the Dracs took it.

Independence Weaponry on Quentin is a great choice.  As of 3151, I have NO idea what is still being produced there.  It has changed hands from Davion to Kurita in 39, then from Kurita to Word of Blake Protectorate during the Jihad.  From there to the Republic, and then from the Republic back to Kurita.  I can't think of many other factory worlds (any) that have changed hands so many times in the setting.  We know what it made in 3025 thanks to the original House Davion Sourcebook, and have an inkling what might have been made there at the beginning of the Jihad thanks to MadCapellan. 

But in 3151?  No clue. 

Nibs

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 29 May 2020, 14:57:11 »
I've always been partial to the factories on Ramora (Raven Alliance). 81 000 planetwide population, largely Taoist, producing a massive selection of aerospace military hardware (including an OmniFighter in the Periphery!). The cherry on top? Raveena Electronics doesn't seem to stop producing vintage Chargers, even after the Jihad. Awesome.
« Last Edit: 29 May 2020, 15:07:36 by Nibs »

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 29 May 2020, 16:53:27 »
I've always been partial to the factories on Ramora (Raven Alliance). 81 000 planetwide population, largely Taoist, producing a massive selection of aerospace military hardware (including an OmniFighter in the Periphery!). The cherry on top? Raveena Electronics doesn't seem to stop producing vintage Chargers, even after the Jihad. Awesome.

No, not Awesome, Charger.

ba-boom-bing

Yeah, that's begging for a retcon. Where's the source? edit - Nemmind, it's objective: clans, and they're not 1A1s like I thought you meant.
« Last Edit: 29 May 2020, 23:22:00 by Greatclub »

assaultdoor

• Sergeant
« Reply #23 on: 29 May 2020, 18:05:34 »
Gonna hafta go with LexaTech Industries. As for the specific site, Hun Ho was the only location for LexaTech originally but then they seem to have invented Irece for the specific purpose of eliminating the Stinger LAM line without killing the company (and a good chunk of the DC) overall. This leaves me at a bind with canon as I like LexaTech for the aforementioned LAM but quite dislike the shoehorned in world of Irece due to associations.

When did the Hun Ho location get introduced? Irece is the only location listed in in House Kurita: The Draconis Combine.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #24 on: 29 May 2020, 20:27:45 »
earliest reference i could find was 3055: Upgrade (2005 FanPro printing) under the cerberus entry

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 29 May 2020, 23:18:04 »
3055 was REALLY bad w/ listing off the wrong factories for certain houses.

I'm thinking this is a "Reverse" of the Bishimon/Venom issue.

Here we have a Draconis Combine Manufacturer was listed for a Mech made in the FWL.

We ended up getting some "new" factories at satellite facilities out of those errors.

Temetagi-II was one of those so the Combine could have their own source of Spiders, Venoms, Bishimon.

Hun Ho was added to give the FWL a "Lexatech" factory where the Cerberus was made.

Unless some later source backdates them to an earlier date, I chalk it up to "expansions due to cooperation post-Outreach conference", because that is when you saw lots of manufactures start sharing designs via the Omni-Project or creating new designs together, IE Gunslinger.

« Last Edit: 29 May 2020, 23:20:26 by Hellraiser »

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #26 on: 30 May 2020, 15:18:56 »
Quickscell, man. They have everything you need!  :D
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #27 on: 30 May 2020, 20:47:21 »
Quickscell, man. They have everything you need!  :D
That's lots of factories.  You have to pick just one.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #28 on: 30 May 2020, 21:01:00 »
That's lots of factories.  You have to pick just one.

Pandora.
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #29 on: 30 May 2020, 21:02:35 »
the Hand-Built Timber Wolf line on Weingarten.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Register