Author Topic: The Wolf Empire: Our Khan Beat Devlin Stone in a Savage Wolf! Buy Savage Wolves!  (Read 198755 times)

SteveRestless

• Major
Sounds like a fun time!
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
Quick question for our resident Awoo's.  What was the Wolves capital world in the Homeworlds called?
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
Pretty sure it was Eden, but I'm thinking about it now and I'm not sure if it's ever been made explicit.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Orwell84

• Lieutenant
Quick question for our resident Awoo's.  What was the Wolves capital world in the Homeworlds called?

It was on Strana Mechty, along with that of the Sea Foxes / Diamond Sharks. I don't think the specific capital city / government complex / what have you was ever explicitly named.
All Clan totems are equal but some are more equal than others.

"The Succession Wars solved no problem. Their effects, both immediate and indirect, were either negative or disastrous. Morally subversive, economically destructive, socially degrading, confused in their causes, devious in their course, futile in their results, they are the outstanding example in Spheroid history of meaningless conflict."
The Third Star League's view of the Succession Wars, plagiarised from an ancient Terran historian's judgement of the Thirty Years War.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
Pretty sure it was Eden, but I'm thinking about it now and I'm not sure if it's ever been made explicit.

Odd :s What other worlds did the Wolves control in the Homeworlds? Trying to find a factory for them :)

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
The only world they controlled outright, at least as of 3067, was Tranquil. But they had enclaves on Circe, Dagda, Eden, Glory, Grant's Station, Hoard, Paxon, Roche, Strana Mechty and Tiber. But yeah, I checked and confirmed that per Warriors of Kerensky, their Strana Mechty enclave was their capital.
« Last Edit: 07 May 2019, 06:38:15 by Kojak »

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
Perfect! Thank you Kojak!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Has there been any talk anything going on with next book finally see Devlin's showdown with Khan Warren-Steiner?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
Warren?  ???

- Klarg1

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Warren?  ???
Sorry Ward.  I was typing too fast for my brain to register it.  xp
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
I am wondering if anyone has played that out . . . does the Ferro-Lam armor give you enough advantage to cover that 25t difference between mechs?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Terrace

• Lieutenant
I am wondering if anyone has played that out . . . does the Ferro-Lam armor give you enough advantage to cover that 25t difference between mechs?

Well, given that Ferro-Lam armor provides a 75-ton 'Mech with the effective armor of a 90-tonner, and it'll be equipped with "OP PLZ NERF" Clantech, I think it could comfortably fight an Atlas II.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Except Stone's Atlas is not stock either.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
Except Stone's Atlas is not stock either.

True.  I think it'll come down to a kind of 'last shot from a crippled mech' kind of thing.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Another victory for the Invasion Wolves!

Finally trotted out my actual tournament force- Timber Wolf C (3/5), Mist Lynx C (4/4) and Elemental L (4/4)- which gives me quite a bit of range but nearly 1/3 of the BV is quite fragile.  I did load Swarm ammo in one of the LRM bins for the Timberwolf since I was expecting to face grouped IS opponents.  Opponents were randomly assigned and I ended up facing another experienced player who was representing the Free Worlds League with a Awesome 8Q (3/5), Hercules 9001 (3/5), and 2 Spider 8M (4/5) who was supposed to be experienced.

A bit of sniping at range for a single hit occurred with a ERLL to the AWS CT, but the third turn caused a problem when he managed to connect with the right arm of the Mist Lynx with a 10 point hit . . . which was enough to melt it down.  This put the Mist Lynx into forced with draw, though the Timberwolf started giving back the damage- everything that connected on the AWS except a 3 point LRM hit and the ERML hit the Awesome's CT.  I started to lose initiative for a series, which having the smaller number of units on the battlefield was rough.  My Elementals were moving up while the Timber Wolf was backing to use terrain to block LOS to at least one of the two larger opponents.  The Timber Wolf ended up having to turn and twist to keep the Awesome at bay behind some woods while his Hercules, which had taken minor damage, backed up behind some L1 hill.  My fresh Elementals ended up above him on the L2 . . . The ERPPC and LB-10X missed though a SSRM2 and MPL hit me.  AMS took the SSRM2 down by 1, unfortunately not able to reduce the attack to nothing.  The Timber Wolf hit with a ERLL, LRM15, UAC/5 and ERML, missing with the other LRM15.  Nothing in the attack went into the dirt.  Then the Elementals opened fire and hit with 2 Small Lasers and 6 missiles . . . one Small Laser burst hit the head, and a missile managed to do the final damage to get internal on the arm that had the MPL.  He was awake from the hit, but when I rolled for the crit on the arm I got a 12- Limb Blown Off!  And then the Herc pilot fell . . . The Elementals had taken 3 PPC blasts from the Awesome however, all 9s or better- but no troopers were lost.

He got up the next turn and went into retreat around the curve of the woods, the Awesome came forward, the Elementals landed 2 hexes away from the Awesome and my Timber Wolf ran forward 7 hexes and turned to face the Awesome which was 7 hexes away.  Needed a 6 for everything but the ERML which was a 8 . . . missed on a LRM rack again but everything else hit.  Failed the attempt on a double-tap but no jam at least, more damage spread on the torso with the PPC arm getting some attention . . . and a 5 point LRM hit to the head.  The Elementals opened up, hit with three Small Lasers and another six SRMs . . . one of which was Snake Eyes!  too bad it was the LT . . . or not, since the crit roll failed.

The Awesome ran into some light woods, the Elementals dropped out of the sky into the heavy woods right in front of them, the Herc ran around to the other side of the light woods while my Timberwolf ran forward to be 2 hexes from the Awesome with the Spiders 3 & 4 hexes away.  Fire away!  Both LRMs fired Swarm ammo, this was the reason I brought it!  ERLL, UAC/5, ERML and both LRM15 hit from that range, but only 11 of the 30 missiles hit the Awesome . . . 14 (8 & 6) hit one of the Spiders, and the last (1 & 4) hit the Hercules.  The Awesome weathered the pounding with nothing getting past armor . . . but it was enough to knock it down.  The Spider had armor blown off but the Herc . . . the single LRM that hit it got a LT TAC . . . and crit the engine, so the Herc was going to run hotter.

Winning initiative again definitely helped, the Awesome tried to get up . . . fell the first time and took a pilot hit- unfortunately staying awake.  It just stayed standing in the woods after running.  The Elementals leaped for the light woods on the other side of the Herc . . . which then back up to a L1 hill and was 3 hexes away.  The Timber Wolf ran forward to close on the Herc, placing a single hex of the hill between them.  The Spiders decided to jump off to catch the Mist Lynx and knock it out of the fight instead of letting it make the slow retreat to the edge of the battlefield.  More fire cost the Herc its LBX arm along with stripping the armor on that side torso . . . and it fell.

The time ran out on the battle as the Timber Wolf had chased the Herc as it engaged in its forced withdraw, blowing through a rear side and removing all rear center armor . . . the Herc fell again, straight back onto its rear CT . . . 1 crit . . . rolled up to crit the gyro.  Meanwhile the Timberwolf had taken some armor damage and 1 PPC hit to the rear side torso had gone internal but no crits.

End tally was a crippled Hercules in exchange for a crippled Mist Lynx & crippled Elemental point (1 dead, 2 w/o armor, 2 completely intact) for a 3-2 victory for the Wolves.  So 8 or so turns in roughly 2 hours of play.  Next opponent will be another random selection and then the next match I think will be power matched (example, 3-0 will play 3-0 all the way down so 1-2 will play 1-2).  The next stage will add another 5k, which will be plenty of fun.
Colt Ward

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
That sounds like fun.  I miss playing.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
What was that Lyran quote from the Invasion, something about what it was like to fight the Wolves?  I can never get it exactly right
Colt Ward

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Nvm, got it . . . one of my favorites-

What's it like fighting the Wolf? Imagine lightning on legs, or an earthquake with arms, or catastrophe with genius, or just pure hell on wheels.
-A soldier of the Lovinac militia to a reporter, 2 June 3050
Colt Ward

SteveRestless

• Major

It was played out Gencon 20... I believe 12? Both the Unity City Wolf v ROTS Battle, and the smaller Stone v.s Alaric that included their personal forces. Wolves won, Alaric won.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
I knew it was the diorama I just was unaware if it had been played.
Colt Ward

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Anyone have a list of what factories were captured from the Marik-Stewart Commonwealth & other League territories?  From the chunk bitten out of the Lyran Commonwealth?

I know Kali Yama on Kalidasa was taken, now produces the Orion C but is also where the Stormcrow III was being built.  Figure that is the Orion line getting converted and one of the medium lines- maybe the Treb to match weights- for the Stormcrow III.  Which still leaves Perseus, Griffin, Anzu, Hunchback, and Wasp lines for mechs.  Maybe the Herc was still being built which gives them a IS 5/8 heavy design, or maybe it was converted to the Anzu line in 3098.  For BA the Longinus was converted to the C, and maybe a IS Std line the Wolves also have operating.

Keystone's Earthwerks-FWL Inc produces the Shockwave and Trebaruna when taken, and later has the Tomahawk II being built.  Maybe it was still producing Battlemasters, Thug, Grand Titan, TBolt, Apollo, Bloodhound, Phoenix Hawk and Stinger.  I do wonder if the Apollo line was converted for the Shockwave, and which assault line became the Tomahawk II?  As far as the assaults go, the MSC was producing new Battlemasters going into the 3130s since the Silverhawks CO was given one- so did the Thug or Grand Titan become the quad line?  Exeter Org produces the R10, which is great for the Empire and sucks for the Lyrans and Leaguers.  They also make a Pegasus hovertank, or did anyway.

The Wolves also picked up the Xiphos production facility on Washburn.
Colt Ward

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Another round in my local tournament last night, turned out it was a grudge match . . . A Free Rasalhague Republic force encountered a Wolf patrol.  Griffin 1DS (3/4), Cicada 3F (3/3), and Venom 9K (3/3) ran into my Timber Wolf, Mist Lynx and the Elementals riding along.  The Rasies rushed the Wolf force trying to negate the range, pushing the Wolves into a more defensive posture  The Griffin pilot wasted all six of his LRM shots, only hitting his target once with all twelve missiles that survived the Mist Lynx's AMS slamming into the hillside the mech was crouched beside.  While hard fought by the Rasies, they showed little skill as mechwarriors- the only thing that made it even close was that each Wolf mech took a hit to the head that stripped it of armor . . . the Mist Lynx even took damage in the cockpit with life support and the Active Probe both being fried by the left over energy from the Cicada's ERPPC.

The first to fall was the Cicada, taking nearly a full salvo broadside from the Timber Wolf- a ERLL, ERML, UAC/5 with a double tap, and each LRM15 hitting with 12 missiles . . . lost a leg, a engine hit, a medium laser was hit.  Already having taken a ERML hit to the head from the Mist Lynx, the pilot was KO'd from his mech slamming to the ground.  The mech also went into shut down from the heat.  The Elementals closed and was positioned on the hill above the fire down upon the prone mech when the Spider walked in their direction trying to get among the battle armor while it was cooling.  It was a poor choice as the Timber Wolf came around a hill to fire on the Griffin from 150m- momentum had shifted to the Wolves, which was evidenced when the Griffin also fell that turn from its right leg being opened up with melted armor seizing up that hip.  The Griffin toppled to the ground but was still a threat which caused the Elementals to shift back.  The Venom tried to get in the Timber Wolf's face to save the Griffin as it stood, all that did was let the Wolf pilot blast the light mech point blank- a once proud fleet light mech was sawed in half to be a scatter of debris at the Wolf's feet.  All that remained was to chase down the fleeing Griffin, whose speed was reduced to 3/5/5 . . . the medium mech was in such bad shape, it turned its back on the pursuing Timber Wolf- more armor remained to the rear.  The move threw off the Clan mechwarrior, who fired as if leading the fleeing mech (yes, I missed four of five 6s that turn).  Leaping elemental fired upon the medium while the Mist Lynx circled back in front of the Griffin to cut off its retreat.

The Griffin collapsed a short time later as more lasers & missiles found the faltering engine.  The Cicada awoke and fired off a single ERPPC hit that took off the gun arm on the Mist Lynx before it went down to the Wolves.  Clan Wolf lost a bit of armor off the Timber Wolf, 2t of LRM ammo, half ton of UAC/5 ammo, and the unfortunately positioned gun arm of the Mist Lynx . . . leaving the Rasalhague command wondering what fate befell their probe.
Colt Ward

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Colt Ward

Panthros

• Sergeant

Where did the art come from?  I love it!

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
it's for the kickstarter mockup of the clan invasion box set expansion

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Unfortunate events today, I must talk with the techs about the work they did on the Timber Wolf (or maybe I was jinxed when my 13th Wolf Guards Timber Wolf got bumped to the floor, and broke . . . I had to sub a Falcon painted TW).  Missing full salvos of 5s (ERLL, ERML, UAC/5 & 2 LRM15) against a nearby Raven Stormcrow C was difficult to over come . . . and when the Mechwarrior driving the Mist Lynx occupied the heavy woods hex the Timber Wolf was going to move into, it left the Wolf warrior sitting next to a hill.  Dezgra Snow Raven warrior could not hit the target with his weapons, instead he resorted to a chalcas kick!

Which connected with the head.  Wolves lost that battle even though I managed to cripple the Stormcrow C and a Salamander point.  Thirteenth Wolf Guards went 2-1 with a good showing of points.  Next up will be a bracket and adding another 5k to your force.
Colt Ward

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
Even if it didn't go so great, you got to take Aidan Pryde out for a ride.  That's pretty cool.  Pardon all my contractions. 
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
224 FL.
GR (16)
SLRM15 (16)
3 x ERMPL
2 x CASE II

Placement is per ON2-M.

I was never here.

So going back to this . . . I played with a Atlas that had SLRM20 . . . and I have to say, that was nice for the very simple fact I knew I was going to get a PSR every time it hit.  I am still not sure I like the Streak LRMs for the weight, BUT . . . with tight resources and placed in the hands of garrison warriors?  This makes some sense.
Colt Ward

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
Honestly it is mostly new toy syndrome. If I was min maxing I would never use an ER Pulse Laser.

That said, SLRMs are direct fire weapons. They suit a trooper Mech like an Orion. Also at the time I had just come off the Vikings IIC and was sniffing around for IS LRMs that I could turn into weight savings for new heavy weight Clan tech.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Oh, no complaints . . . like I said, it would be used for the same reason on a garrison machine as SSRMs- you know when it hits, its all going to hit.  It just has the benefit of causing a PSR when it does and no other single Streak system can do that in game.  The 20 size rack being a Streak system also offsets the low salvo count per ton, so while I prefer 2 or more tons per LRM20 when possible a single ton with Streak is more palatable.

Now, do Streak LRMs make sense on a unit compared to regular LRMs?  It can be debated, but not for quite the same reasons you would on a IS design- because its Clan they are not going to use as many of those alternate munitions.
Colt Ward