Author Topic: Field Communicator, Long Range  (Read 2377 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Field Communicator, Long Range
« on: 06 January 2019, 10:33:38 »
It struck me the military communications equipment table in AToW (page 301) was missing something between the "Field Communicator" and the "Field Communications Kit, Advanced" (which is only available to ComStar).  This is particularly odd because there is a Civilian "Communications Kit, Long Range".  To remedy this, I propose the below.
Code: [Select]
ITEM EQ. RATINGS COST AFF MASS RANGE POWER USE NOTES
Field Communicator, D/B-D-C/B 500 - 6 KG 100 KM 5 PPH 2,500 KM RANGE TO SATELLITE
Long Range

I added mass to reflect additional signal security (e.g., frequency hopping, encryption, etc.) and range (twice the civilian model).  Of course, both of those also require more power.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
Re: Field Communicator, Long Range
« Reply #1 on: 06 January 2019, 14:21:51 »
Man that is one good manpack!

Nothing like the 10-25km (with a  vehicle rig!) I am used to.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #2 on: 06 January 2019, 14:26:37 »
I looked at real world systems while I was working on it, but ultimately decided to peg the weight and range to the existing systems.  At least communications technology has improved in 1,000 years... :)

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #3 on: 06 January 2019, 15:25:33 »
I looked at real world systems while I was working on it, but ultimately decided to peg the weight and range to the existing systems.  At least communications technology has improved in 1,000 years... :)

no kidding!
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman