Author Topic: Does anyone (still) use Ral Partha minis?  (Read 806 times)

Inxentas

• Private
Does anyone (still) use Ral Partha minis?
« on: 21 June 2024, 09:06:34 »
While I love the new redesigns of the modern, plastic minis I did some research regarding Inner Sphere vehicles and infantry. Since I am European I am mainly looking at European webshops selling 6mm models. Seems Ral Partha sells a lot of BH vehicles that are found in older TRO's. I was wondering if anyone here uses those minis... and what their experience was assembling these Ral Partha mini's?

I am an old wargamer and not allergic to metal, but I do like my minis to neatly fit. I am not looking for a modelling challenge, I'm basically looking for minis to play combined arms without having to wait / cross my fingers for plastics. Would RP minis be a good fit for me?

Charistoph

• Major
Re: Does anyone (still) use Ral Partha minis?
« Reply #1 on: 21 June 2024, 10:38:02 »
It's hard to say how they will scale with the plastic, until someone posts a side-by-side picture of them.

Still, Ironwind Metals still uses the Ral Partha molds if they haven't had a rework.  The Badgers, Bandits, Strikers, and Goblins that I have were all made from those molds, and even includes the Ral Partha year stamp on them.

And there are a LOT of Vehicles (to say nothing about Infantry or airborne assets) which are only available in metal, with no clue as to how long it will be till plastic options become available for them.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 21 June 2024, 14:38:47 »
If all you really care about is having a mini for the vehicle, the metal RP ones will do fine.  If you are a stickler for scale, you might disappoint yourself.   The new plastic ones will be scaled amongst themselves and the new plastic mechs usually, while the metal ones can vary.  I might be able to take a picture of the plastic Galleon and Maxim next to thier metal counterparts if my sister can get them from the neice and nephew.  (Uncle got a Caesar mini from last year's launch event.  The little weirdos chose vees instead of mechs.😅)

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #3 on: 21 June 2024, 14:55:11 »
I haven't bought from Ral Partha Europe in a long time, and I understand they have a fair few molds that are showing degredation at this point.  It might be worth checking around for reviews of specific minis.

As an alternative, Fantasywelt in Germany stock a huge cross-section of Iron Wind's catalogue, and their prices aren't bad.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #4 on: 21 June 2024, 15:59:07 »
I've been a big user of RPE in the past. Being in Australia, RPE's shipping is much, much less than IWM's (however, see below). Yes the range is constrained, and I'd usually be getting vehicles more than 'Mechs.

However, I've recently taken to saving my purchases and getting in at IWM's Black Friday sale in November, so I can exceed the $250 limit for free international shipping. I plan my unit builds well in advance, so I can then work on what I get for most of the next year.

And adding on the comments re vehicle scale. It is a bit all over the place, but that's about metal, and includes IWM, not about RPE specifically. Do ask for comparison pics in the "Hobby hints & tricks" forum, and I'm sure you'll get responses!
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #5 on: 22 June 2024, 15:05:52 »
Nothing wrong with the older stuff, but RPE's equipment has been degrading for years.

I bought some stuff from them over ten years ago and it was marginal then.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Inxentas

• Private
« Reply #6 on: 27 June 2024, 07:18:07 »
Thanks guys. Compared to FantasyWelt it seems Ral Partha has a different catalog of models altogether. Slightly cheaper as well, which I can imagine if their equipment was outdated a decade ago. Their website is also terrible, which some pictures being so low res it's impossible to tell what the (infantry and BA) models actually look like.

SeeM

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 28 June 2024, 01:44:19 »
I bought nearly everything from RP, because I have their other stuff and its less shipping. The simplest rule is: newer is bigger. Rescaling happened several times. CGL plastics are obviously larger than RP sculpts. If You will play with more, I carefully choose words here, modern playerbase, metal miniatures will stand out as smaller ones.

I threat those metal minis almost like a historical thing. It's a chapter in Battletech history that is about to end (in BT time it would be around 10 years). Sometimes I place the order - especially with Aerotech minis - and wait two weeks until it is done, because literally it has to be done. I find it refreshing in everything we play is made in China days.

RP are decent, especially if You play more than BT. Their other stuff, especially Noble Armada and 15mm fantasy stuff is impressive.
« Last Edit: 28 June 2024, 01:46:36 by SeeM »
(+)

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 28 June 2024, 14:59:54 »
I still have some of the older models myself, made of metal.  From doing a side by side look at two of them, they appear to be close to being to scale..
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #9 on: 28 June 2024, 15:35:09 »
There are a good few metal minis that work well with the modern plastic size-wise; I should put together a list.  But some examples are:

Templar
Pendragon
Thanatos
Enfield
All Celestials
Toyama
Legacy
Reseen Archer
Reseen Rifleman
Gestalt
Jupiter
Ghost
Savage Coyote
Stooping Hawk
Canis

from just looking at my collection. Note, not all available via RPE, but some are.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 28 June 2024, 19:51:49 »
The Protomechs SEEM to scale pretty well, too.  At lest of the four chassis I have, at any rate.
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #11 on: 29 June 2024, 00:41:44 »
Most of my collection is made up of metal miniatures and many were purchased at RPE, this before Brexit and therefore with negligible shipping costs compared to today.
The availability of the miniatures goes up to TRO3067 with some exceptions on exclusive IWM pieces which are overpriced, at least this happened almost a decade ago. Personally, in fact, I haven't purchased from them for a long time.
Some moulds, especially those relating to large models, such as Naginata or Demolisher II, may present imperfections, at least it often happened to me and after making a formal complaint the miniatures I had ordered were promptly replaced with others.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #12 on: 07 July 2024, 11:26:52 »
Yes

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #13 on: 07 July 2024, 12:18:19 »
While I love the new redesigns of the modern, plastic minis I did some research regarding Inner Sphere vehicles and infantry. Since I am European I am mainly looking at European webshops selling 6mm models. Seems Ral Partha sells a lot of BH vehicles that are found in older TRO's. I was wondering if anyone here uses those minis... and what their experience was assembling these Ral Partha mini's?

I am an old wargamer and not allergic to metal, but I do like my minis to neatly fit. I am not looking for a modelling challenge, I'm basically looking for minis to play combined arms without having to wait / cross my fingers for plastics. Would RP minis be a good fit for me?

Sure, vehicles have almost no assembly.  I can't think of anything that is more than a turret attached to it.

Mechs can vary, some are single piece, some have a couple points, others, RE-Seen Marauder, are like 20 pieces of HELL in a box.

As for using them, while the 2 KS have certainly added to my collection, they have not doubled it. 

I had hundreds of minis before either KS arrived & far more of them are painted than the 1st KS is painted at this point.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 07 July 2024, 15:43:41 »
Sure, vehicles have almost no assembly.  I can't think of anything that is more than a turret attached to it.

For ground-vehicles, yeah.  Airborne, particularly VTOLs, they involve a bit more.

For my Strikers, 2 bits (body turret) unless I add a base to them, Goblins, too.  Badgers were 3 before the base, body, turret, front weapon (with options for the latter 2).  Bandits were 4 before the hex base, body, flying base, front weapon, turret (again with options for latter 2).  I think that Bandit is as crazy as most of the other metal ground-based Combat Vehicles get.

The only challenging thing I had with them was by my own choice, like magnetizing the Goblin turrets and making two of them LRM variants.

For the 2 Karnovs (VTOLs) I just built there was the body, wing, 2 tail planes (1 sprue), 2 engines and 2 propellers (1 each on a sprue), before the flight stand and hex base.  As seen below:

It's the most complex Combat Vehicle I've done, and probably will remain so for some time.  It's even more complex than a few Mechs I've done (like the Wyvern IIC), but definitely as complex, or a bit easier than a few of my metal mechs I have, like the Celestials.  Basically, anything where the legs and hips are separated are a challenge.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #15 on: 08 July 2024, 00:44:01 »
I forgot about the Karnov which is odd since I have 2 of them.

But yeah, I was thinking ground units for the most part.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 08 July 2024, 00:58:38 »
The funny thing about the Karnov was aside from finding the right bit to drill the stand hole for it, the most challenging thing was putting on the engines at a good angle without gluing my finger to the wing.  It surprisingly went rather well.  I had only a little bit of glue on my thumbs and fingers after installing 4 of them.  I think I got more on my thumbs putting the propellers on.

SeeM

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: 08 July 2024, 02:52:34 »
Karnow has an excuse. It may be glued in a crusing speed, or in a lift/landing situation. Maybe that is why we need two of them.
(+)

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: 09 July 2024, 14:50:41 »
The funny thing about the Karnov was aside from finding the right bit to drill the stand hole for it, the most challenging thing was putting on the engines at a good angle without gluing my finger to the wing.  It surprisingly went rather well.  I had only a little bit of glue on my thumbs and fingers after installing 4 of them.  I think I got more on my thumbs putting the propellers on.
I thought I would add this here in case anybody actually reads hit.

At some point propellers and rotors became the bane of my VTOL and aircraft construction.

Then an epiphany hit me while eating my lunch.
I cleaned and kept the plastic container my sandwich came in and went to Hobby Lobby.
There I found a series of hole punchers and picked out a 1 inch diameter one.
I punched 2 1inch circles out of the plastic sandwich and drilled a hole
right in the center.
Then I sprayed them with car door tint to make them darker.
PERFECTION!
Now if a small scale model has rotors or props they get ripped off and replaced.

For larger rotors you can use a compass with a blade on one end.

BTW-I recently found out that Death Ray Designs currently produces multiple
widths and blades counts of a similar product for a very economical price.

shadowdancer

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: 09 July 2024, 18:40:34 »
I am old school on the Ral Partha/IWM miniatures. Have played the game for 38 years. Have at least 1 of all the old plastic and resin miniatures (painted and put away) but have not kept any of the new Catalyst ones that has crossed my path. Scale had not been a big suit of all three. Will continue to collect the new metal ones but do not plan on collecting the Catalyst ones. Just got use to what Battletech started with.
Wishing the Worse on your Enemies
Contact the 13th Armored Calvary
Deliverers of "BAD LUCK"
Anytime
Anyplace
If the Price is Right

Greywind

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: 09 July 2024, 18:48:11 »
I use whatever is in my collection.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #21 on: 09 July 2024, 22:35:56 »
I thought I would add this here in case anybody actually reads hit.

At some point propellers and rotors became the bane of my VTOL and aircraft construction.

Then an epiphany hit me while eating my lunch.
I cleaned and kept the plastic container my sandwich came in and went to Hobby Lobby.
There I found a series of hole punchers and picked out a 1 inch diameter one.
I punched 2 1inch circles out of the plastic sandwich and drilled a hole
right in the center.
Then I sprayed them with car door tint to make them darker.
PERFECTION!
Now if a small scale model has rotors or props they get ripped off and replaced.

For larger rotors you can use a compass with a blade on one end.

BTW-I recently found out that Death Ray Designs currently produces multiple
widths and blades counts of a similar product for a very economical price.

i just run my choppers without props. it's the future. they spin SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPER FAST! You can't see them!

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #22 on: 10 July 2024, 09:52:38 »
There are stores that sell plastic rotor disks(akin to what we got in MWDA VTOLs) sized for metal minis. :)
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #23 on: 10 July 2024, 10:34:49 »
I've started to use clear styrene and plastic circles for rotors for my VTOLs.  It just seems more natural, especially if the unit is on a stand, since its supposed to be in action.