Author Topic: Star League - Third Time's a Charm  (Read 1782 times)

Church14

• Lieutenant
Re: Star League - Third Time's a Charm
« Reply #30 on: 09 July 2024, 17:51:03 »
Yeah. I would assume Alaric isn't as stupid as Kerensky and keeps at least the structure of the Republic intact. Yes the symbols are vanishing (like the currency, renaming of streets, removing statues etc) but the invisible administration has to stay least his merchants will govern a huge mess.

A theory for the military: I will assume that we might get a separation in the military forces like the old Star League: a regular army (freeborns and Clan younglings and solahma) and something akin to the Royal army consisting of Trueborns and maybe the worthiest IS freeborns (something on par with the knights). In this the Clans would still be the top dogs but they could integrate IS soldiers into their ranks and dangle the carrot of high rank above them.

Or it might go like what the Scorpions did: two Kahns (or perhaps lordlings): one for the Clan and military, one for the civilan administration. Though I suspect Alaric will not survive to see the final stage of a new Star League. Heck we might never see a real Star League and after say a 100 year struggle the IlClan falls to give rise to something else.
A literal reading of HotW is that the government is gone and Wolves will institute their own with their own people. Something like a Capellan takeover. Since Wolves just do not have the people for that, I think you’ll be more right.

I hadn’t thought of Alaric forcing even the freeborn Wolfes into the SLDF and keeping the “true” wolf units trueborn. That would make the wolf touman tiny. Like maybe 13 clusters. But it would give a couple regiments of SLDF for a head start

Spirit Cat Refugee

• Master Sergeant
  • Still alive
« Reply #31 on: 09 July 2024, 19:01:17 »
Based on IKEO images released months ago it's clear there will be heavy recruitment for the SLDF, and we know the Successor State for the Republic will be some sort of SLDF/Terran Hegemony hybrid.

My guess is Alaric starts his war against the Capellans, finds out that he's incredibly dependent on the other Clans because the Wars are barely holding Terra, and the Capellans start to make some gains. So Alaric strikes a deal and goes back on his initial proclamation of completely destroying the Republic. He allows a lot of structures for civilians to stay in place and opens up the SLDF to all including ex-RAFers. He's loath to do this because re-arming and organizing the ex-RAFers is a ticking time bomb. There's no reason for them to be loyal to the Clans, and a lot will (hopefully) bear a grudge.
Clan Protectorate

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #32 on: 10 July 2024, 05:50:40 »
An option for Alaric could be to do as you say and recruit from former RAF. What he could do is to use the Wolves-in-Exile as the command structure for the new SLDF Units as they would have experience in dealing with Inner Sphere citizens. Mixed units of Wolves and RAF might also be a possibility. Former Knights and Paladins used as commanders could also work.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Metallgewitter

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: 10 July 2024, 05:57:22 »
Considering that the highest ranking surviving Republic official is Levin we might not get a grudge holding RAF. Levin is described as someone who even betrays his own ideals for the greater good. and in this case the greater good might be to get concessions for Republic citizens while serving the wolves. Of course we still don't know if some are still acting like a 5th column group as Stone had first intended. For example the lover of Janella Lakewood the Ghost Knight Mason who is still not accounted for

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #34 on: 10 July 2024, 08:05:10 »
Considering that the highest ranking surviving Republic official is Levin we might not get a grudge holding RAF. Levin is described as someone who even betrays his own ideals for the greater good. and in this case the greater good might be to get concessions for Republic citizens while serving the wolves. Of course we still don't know if some are still acting like a 5th column group as Stone had first intended. For example the lover of Janella Lakewood the Ghost Knight Mason who is still not accounted for

And even Levin himself his whereabouts are unknown. I kind of hope he shows up outside Wolf Territory as a Goverment in Exile but I doubt that will happen.

Spirit Cat Refugee

• Master Sergeant
  • Still alive
« Reply #35 on: 10 July 2024, 10:08:25 »
Any scenario where the RAF on their own decides to negotiate with Alaric (or where they grudgingly work alongside Wolves) and joins him is just going to add fuel to the fire that the Wolves have mega plot armor. The Wolves DO NOT need in a meta sense a free 10 extra regiments of crack troops, after they already went from 22 to 75 Clusters in 60 years to justify their conquering Terra.

What we need to see in IlKhan's Eye's Only is Alari realizing just how daunting building this new Star League is, and that for all his pro-Clan hubris and pooping on the Republic, he's going to have to eat crow (A LOT OF CROW) and backtrack some of his grandstanding, such as completely destroying the Republic government and RAF. Let the RAF remains join the SLDF only after Alaric is forced to offer a ton of concessions because he realizes just how desperate a position his league is in.

Alaric needs to come to the RAF, NOT the RAF come groveling to Alaric.

Given that Alaric's revealed pic in IKEO looks pretty haggard, I hope this is the direction CGL is going to go.
« Last Edit: 10 July 2024, 10:17:15 by Spirit Cat Refugee »
Clan Protectorate

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #36 on: 10 July 2024, 10:38:29 »
Holy Keanu Khan!

Spirit Cat Refugee

• Master Sergeant
  • Still alive
« Reply #37 on: 10 July 2024, 11:09:42 »
Holy Keanu Khan!

On second thought, that's probably not Alaric since he doesn't have the face scar, but the guy does have a Khan sash, so that's weird...
Clan Protectorate

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #38 on: 10 July 2024, 11:35:41 »
Levin working with the greater good assumes Alaric doesn’t force a bunch of harsh changes on Terra, and I’m not convinced he’s capable of being hands off with Terra.

HotW says Stone made it so Terra should hate Alaric, and Alaric has a history of wildly overreacting any time something gets remotely personal. Like slaughtering thousands because artillery almost hit him. I don’t expect an Amaris, not even close. But I also do not expect a benevolent, competent Warlord of Terra.
« Last Edit: 10 July 2024, 11:48:27 by Church14 »

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #39 on: 10 July 2024, 11:47:32 »
On second thought, that's probably not Alaric since he doesn't have the face scar, but the guy does have a Khan sash, so that's weird...

I’m not sure this character is a Khan. That’s the Hegemony IIC icon on his shoulder. This may be someone high in the SLDF or a leader of the Hegemony IIC

EDIT: Have we seen a close enough shot of Alaric, Anastasia, or Chance in iKEO art dump to see what iconography the trueborn wolves appropriate?
« Last Edit: 10 July 2024, 11:54:25 by Church14 »

Spirit Cat Refugee

• Master Sergeant
  • Still alive
« Reply #40 on: 10 July 2024, 13:15:07 »
I’m not sure this character is a Khan. That’s the Hegemony IIC icon on his shoulder. This may be someone high in the SLDF or a leader of the Hegemony IIC

EDIT: Have we seen a close enough shot of Alaric, Anastasia, or Chance in iKEO art dump to see what iconography the trueborn wolves appropriate?

He appears in these two images from midground.
Clan Protectorate

Spirit Cat Refugee

• Master Sergeant
  • Still alive
« Reply #41 on: 10 July 2024, 13:15:53 »
And here.
Clan Protectorate

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #42 on: 10 July 2024, 13:29:31 »
I imagine that guy is whomever Alaric appoints the SLDF commander
The Suns will shine again

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #43 on: 10 July 2024, 14:17:39 »
I imagine that guy is whomever Alaric appoints the SLDF commander
Except Anastasia got that title.

Which hey, I’m not sure anyone cares if she buys the farm, but iKEO should see her in the role for a while first.

Crimson Dynamo

• Lieutenant
  • Opening hearts, minds, and throats since 2807
« Reply #44 on: 10 July 2024, 14:25:52 »
Where are these art teasers coming from?
"Well, I do, Marcus, and rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads. If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched. There are no flags in the MAC."
"And there never will be," Barton said, nodding his head in agreement.

"You guys are facing a freaking Shadow Division! These guys have strict policies against playing fair!"

"I don’t care. Kill them. I planned the defense so I know it will work. If they claim otherwise, they’re cowards. Any step back is a betrayal of me, and saying they don’t have enough men is just an excuse for incompetence and disloyalty. Tell the Krypteia to do it if you’re too soft but get it done." -Emperor Stefan Ukris Amaris I

Fire Scorpion IIC

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #45 on: 10 July 2024, 15:56:48 »
He appears in these two images from midground.

That ain't Alaric, that's ilKhan Asmongold hyping up his Twitch followers

Spirit Cat Refugee

• Master Sergeant
  • Still alive
« Reply #46 on: 11 July 2024, 14:02:28 »
Where are these art teasers coming from?

Brent Evans dropped them a few months ago during Tuesday Newsday.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.405205438597055&type=3
« Last Edit: 11 July 2024, 14:07:27 by Spirit Cat Refugee »
Clan Protectorate

Metallgewitter

• Captain
« Reply #47 on: 11 July 2024, 14:45:31 »
Looking through the teaser pictures it feels as if space battles with big ships are back. Though most likely more like "The Ravens are showing off their numerical advantage" Makes me wonder what the great equalizer will be. Maintenance issues? If the Ravens move their fleet to Terra their fleet might have issues getting maintained and supplied for longer deployements.

Fire Scorpion IIC

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #48 on: 11 July 2024, 15:20:47 »
Looking through the teaser pictures it feels as if space battles with big ships are back. Though most likely more like "The Ravens are showing off their numerical advantage" Makes me wonder what the great equalizer will be. Maintenance issues? If the Ravens move their fleet to Terra their fleet might have issues getting maintained and supplied for longer deployements.

Pulling out before damage gets too bad (both sides)

Warships (proper ones) are still precious

There will be a lot of fleet actions in the first half of the campaign but in the second half it will go back to classic engagements with all warships limping to maintenance

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #49 on: 11 July 2024, 18:26:07 »
A few things could add up.
- Ravens’ economy supposedly could barely keep the warships operating, much less used as actual weapons. Two stars of the fleet operating for extended periods should require a substantial support structure. There’s only one in that region I know (Sol) of and Elements of Treason makes it look like Wolves aren’t sharing. Even if wolves are sharing, can titan yards support 14+ warships that are actually being used? This is an honest question. I have no idea.
- the Raven fleet is irreplaceable. Even one warship loss could make ravens gunshy about deploying them in combat.
- Alaric could possibly give ravens an order that crosses a line and Ravens refuse his orders. Their blurb in HotW makes it sound like Ravens see the ilclan as transactional. If Ravens aren’t gaining. How long until they make problems for Alaric?

Crimson Dynamo

• Lieutenant
  • Opening hearts, minds, and throats since 2807
« Reply #50 on: 11 July 2024, 19:08:57 »
Brent Evans dropped them a few months ago during Tuesday Newsday.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.405205438597055&type=3

Been living under a rock I guess. Thanks for the share, some really good art pieces in there.
"Well, I do, Marcus, and rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads. If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched. There are no flags in the MAC."
"And there never will be," Barton said, nodding his head in agreement.

"You guys are facing a freaking Shadow Division! These guys have strict policies against playing fair!"

"I don’t care. Kill them. I planned the defense so I know it will work. If they claim otherwise, they’re cowards. Any step back is a betrayal of me, and saying they don’t have enough men is just an excuse for incompetence and disloyalty. Tell the Krypteia to do it if you’re too soft but get it done." -Emperor Stefan Ukris Amaris I

Knightmare

• BattleTech Developer
  • System Admin
  • Warrant Officer
  • Wrench'in it
    • BattleTech.com
« Reply #51 on: 11 July 2024, 22:24:55 »
Given that Alaric's revealed pic in IKEO looks pretty haggard, I hope this is the direction CGL is going to go.

Ouch. That's not Alaric, that's me. And he's not the CO of the SLDF.

Some of the guess work in this thread is pretty good. A couple of posts have hit bits, but not the whole picture. Just keep in mind that we're in the earliest moments of Alaric's victory and everything that declaration means. Remember, nothing new forms in a bubble. And big things take time to matriculate and mature. The gestational period for most factions typically took place off page, so by the time they were introduced—like the histories of the Great Houses in the OG Housebooks—readers & players are in a far future era.

I can't reveal much more though, sorry. But keep the speculation coming, it's fun to read.
BeemerCon Summarized. Knightmare, end of turn: "How come none of my weapons fired?"
Look, dude, when you are a real mechwarrior you don't need to get all dressed up in cooling suits and cool helmets to work on your mech. You just strip down to your 1980s panties and crop top vest and start wrenchin' it.
Yen Lo Wang = David Lo Pan

Metallgewitter

• Captain
« Reply #52 on: 12 July 2024, 02:37:10 »
I can't reveal much more though, sorry. But keep the speculation coming, it's fun to read.

We need a thread which contains the speculations and then tick of which were true  :cool:

When it comes to ship maintenance Sol has for one the partially functional Titan Yards (no production possible) and also the Belter yards which took ovetr the slack in terms of Jumpship production. Of course the question is how they will react to the takeover. Plus there are still the mothballed Republic yardships that could offer mobile maintenance (if they can be reactivated. The Republic didn't because resource crunch and this simply doesn't dissapear when someone else takes over). But I would also think that battle damage at one point will sideline the ships for long stays in a dockyard. Or even worse imagine if someone manages to cripple a ship by destroying the drives or cracking the KF core and said ship is stranded in a hostile system.

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #53 on: 12 July 2024, 03:58:40 »
Which hey, I’m not sure anyone cares if she buys the farm, but iKEO should see her in the role for a while first.

I care. She's my favorite character in BattleTech. And if I needed a buy-in for Alaric's Star League (I don't, obviously, I couldn't be more excited for a Clan Star League), it'd be her. So yeah, I totally agree with you.

Anastasia has had more practical experience in both working alongside and fighting against a large variety of foes than most of her peers, which will certainly come in handy when it comes to wrangling a bunch of individualistic, gloryhound Clan warriors (and whatever non-Clanners end up signing on) and turning them into an actual SLDF.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Metallgewitter

• Captain
« Reply #54 on: 12 July 2024, 04:58:31 »
The question would be if she is also as good behind a desk. You know usually the Commanding General spends more time in meetings then in the actual field. For example when the RAF formed they put Victor first in charge due to his experience molding different soldiers into a cohesive whole but also because Belle Lee, his successor, was described as not so good behind a desk. Though I guess in the first years she will most likely have to lead from the front and do less staff work. Which is interesting for a newly formed army as so far once a new nation has formed it usually has a grace period to form it's military (even the Republic had a bit more time before it's first wars)

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #55 on: 12 July 2024, 07:00:00 »
The question would be if she is also as good behind a desk. You know usually the Commanding General spends more time in meetings then in the actual field. For example when the RAF formed they put Victor first in charge due to his experience molding different soldiers into a cohesive whole but also because Belle Lee, his successor, was described as not so good behind a desk. Though I guess in the first years she will most likely have to lead from the front and do less staff work. Which is interesting for a newly formed army as so far once a new nation has formed it usually has a grace period to form it's military (even the Republic had a bit more time before it's first wars)
Hey. Alaric’s League gets six whole months. How much longer do they need?

Also, it isn’t really a new formed army. More of a coalition. The only group that might be considered a new formed army is whatever comes of the ex-RAF

Metallgewitter

• Captain
« Reply #56 on: 12 July 2024, 07:40:25 »
Well repairing the equipment for once. Plus stocking up on spare parts, ammo, armor and so on. And 6 months for training new soldiers? Yes ex RAf soldiers would be good but new recruits? And how many will actually answer the call? While you are correct that the army so far is a lot of more one entity they still have to reorganize after the battle that was Terra. Units must probbaly be amalgamted and need to perhaps relearn things with new members

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #57 on: 12 July 2024, 08:30:04 »
Well repairing the equipment for once. Plus stocking up on spare parts, ammo, armor and so on. And 6 months for training new soldiers? Yes ex RAf soldiers would be good but new recruits? And how many will actually answer the call? While you are correct that the army so far is a lot of more one entity they still have to reorganize after the battle that was Terra. Units must probbaly be amalgamted and need to perhaps relearn things with new members
My comment was tongue in cheek. Wolves are gonna be scrambling to get their ducks in a row in 6 months. The couple months of the fortress are priceless for them. They have a touman that, best guess, took close to 75% fatalities before gaining WiE and the initial RAF abtakha. Just training a competent officer corps seems like a task. You also need time to hammer the reorganized units into a cohesive force. (In EA we see new clusters from the Empire who didn't get to train long enough together performing pretty abysmally in spite of still solid troop quality.) That's after the number of possible trials of grievance over "How can you dare decommission the 4th Wolf Guard Battle Cluster" as Alaric just doesn't have the warriors anymore to keep every cluster online.

Then we have that clans do not coordinate much, if ever. So even if the 13th Wolf Guards Alpha Trinary has it all sorted, if it deploys next to a trinary of Ravens, there's no reason to expect them to work well together. Best hope is they drop, hitting different independent objectives where coordination is more strategic than tactical. Which even then... can't imagine there won't be some clan dick measuring over who gets to command each force.

The only thing that shouldn't be a problem is that Terran production will make up the numbers for when/if clanSpec salvage comes up short. Thought you will have wolf warriors for the first time running IS spec machines and having to train on the limits of those. Though RotS was pretty far into making clanSpec, so not as bad a shock as it could be.
« Last Edit: 12 July 2024, 08:35:10 by Church14 »

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #58 on: 12 July 2024, 11:23:15 »
Don't forget that the Terran based Shipyards will probably have a ton of work for the Jade Falcon and Wolf warships and jumpships long before they have open spots for Snow Raven warships. As for not being able to build new warships, did I miss something? The Republic was building warships before the Fortress walls dropped.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #59 on: 12 July 2024, 11:43:12 »
To borrow from the ancient wise, Terra is Big Medicine. 

Titan yards can maybe barely accommodate one ship at a time for repairs. 

Or, Titan Yards might be turning out a warship in the background as well as Overlord C droppers, and repairing two or more warsips at a time...  Have to wait and see what the future brings.
« Last Edit: 12 July 2024, 11:45:49 by rebs »
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert