Author Topic: Is that a Timber Wolf in your back pocket?  (Read 5555 times)

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
Is that a Timber Wolf in your back pocket?
« on: 16 October 2018, 03:38:37 »
I have a question regarding Wolf's Dragoons:
I know that on their way to the IS they dropped of their warships and advanced gear at a secret supply depot. What I'm wondering is, did they have any Omni-mechs in that supply cache? Or did they only bring Succession Wars and Star League tech with them?
I haven't read all the source material on the Dragoons and I haven't read the novels surrounding the Dragoons "coming out" party just before the invasion, so I don't know if I have just missed this tidbit of info or not???
Thanks for any help!! 😁

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
Re: Is that a Timber Wolf in your back pocket?
« Reply #1 on: 16 October 2018, 03:47:15 »
I believe they picked up schematics for OmniMechs later during one of their last supply runs to homeworlds

I think I was only a couple of designs they had access to Dire Wolf being the obvious one with each individually built not a production line
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #2 on: 16 October 2018, 03:50:21 »
Their initial equipment was almost entirely downgraded star league/very early clan equipment. It seems there were a few exceptions, but those appeared to be limited to star league level equipment.

They also made several supply runs to replace losses. On the last of these (around 3020), they received new orders from Khan Kerlin Ward to prepare the inner sphere for a clan invasion, as well as schematics to produce clan technology and omnimechs. As far as I know, they didn't get these new mechs into production until around 3050, and it doesn't look like they ever had the capability to produce a lot of them.

(Fun side note. I've long suspected that the dragoons' exclusive Archer variant was based on one of the configurations of the Summoner. Jaime Wolf piloted a Summoner when he was in clan service)
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 16 October 2018, 04:00:15 »
I believe they picked up schematics for OmniMechs later during one of their last supply runs to homeworlds

I think I was only a couple of designs they had access to Dire Wolf being the obvious one with each individually built not a production line

Aaah! See, now I didn't know they went all the way back to the Clan world's! I thought they went to their secret base and hunkered down while they rebuilt and resupplied... okay, that changes my perception a bit! Thanks! 😀

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 16 October 2018, 09:03:38 »
And they werent very successful to prepare the IS for a clan invasion.  ;D

Especially the Dire Wolf blueprints can't obviously be part of the first mission in 3005 as the Dire Wolf was developed by 3010.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #5 on: 16 October 2018, 09:40:54 »
Actually the dragoons are one of those overhyped units with too many cool toys and writer fiat protection that really failed abysmally when confronted with even opponents or when were tasked with a real task.

*dodges incoming fire of dragoon fans while running away*

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 16 October 2018, 11:13:53 »
Aaah! See, now I didn't know they went all the way back to the Clan world's! I thought they went to their secret base and hunkered down while they rebuilt and resupplied... okay, that changes my perception a bit! Thanks! 😀

They actually had both they did have a hidden base with their Warships and supplies but they also went at least part of the way back to the homeworlds to get new orders and more supplies

I don't think they actually had a map all the way I think I remember reading they wiped their navigation logs for the trip home to stop lost equipment being used as a map to the homeworlds
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #7 on: 16 October 2018, 11:25:34 »
IIRC they did that (whipe out the homewolrd locations) before their last trip, when they effectively defected from the clans.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #8 on: 16 October 2018, 11:37:17 »
Actually the dragoons are one of those overhyped units with too many cool toys and writer fiat protection that really failed abysmally when confronted with even opponents or when were tasked with a real task.

*dodges incoming fire of dragoon fans while running away*

Yeah, never been a fan of the giant-scale 'hero' merc units either- Dragoons, Kell Hounds, Eridani Light Horse, GDL, etc.- they're boring, to me. I like the more 'on the edge of desperation' units much more- Wilson's Hussars, for example, or some of the ones like Smithson's Chinese Bandits that ended up finding that they had to get their hands a lot dirtier than expected to survive (falling into Blakist machinations or even outright piracy to get by).

No judgement about Dragoon fans, obviously, but my sole regret about the scouring of Outreach was that Herb, Ben and co. didn't finish the job the way they did with the GDL.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 16 October 2018, 12:22:54 »
No judgement about Dragoon fans, obviously, but my sole regret about the scouring of Outreach was that Herb, Ben and co. didn't finish the job the way they did with the GDL.
The Dragoons were established to exist circa Dark Age already so i reckon the Jihad writers were limited by that, regardless what they may have wanted.
I don't think they ever regained their former status though. Powerful mercs, respected, but not uber special. Mercs business has faltered in the Dark Age after all.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #10 on: 16 October 2018, 15:14:03 »
The Dragoons were established to exist circa Dark Age already so i reckon the Jihad writers were limited by that, regardless what they may have wanted.
I don't think they ever regained their former status though. Powerful mercs, respected, but not uber special. Mercs business has faltered in the Dark Age after all.

To be fair, while much of that was pre-ordained, they also weren't afraid to do things like changing around the circumstances of Peter Steiner-Davion's death and such. There's precedent.

That said, yeah, they're not exactly also-rans in the Dark Age, but not 'several regiments of crack troops with Clan gear and their own factories' kind of crap anymore. I'll call it even.

The GDL though deserve a few Jade Falcons stomping over their graves. Fight me on this.  ;D
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #11 on: 16 October 2018, 15:19:53 »
I like to think they had a few stars of omnis for a "in case found completely up shit creek, unseal the Union-C" situation

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #12 on: 16 October 2018, 20:20:05 »
To be fair, while much of that was pre-ordained, they also weren't afraid to do things like changing around the circumstances of Peter Steiner-Davion's death and such. There's precedent.

That wouldn't have enabled us to waste the damnable Traitor Goons the same way. PSD's death was one of those things we could play with, but wiping the Goons out once and for all? Yeah, Loren and Randall wouldn't have allowed it, no matter how much sense it made to do so. Same fiat shield protected the Kell Hounds, Victor & Katherine SD, Sun-Tzu Liao, and so on.

- Herb

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #13 on: 16 October 2018, 20:22:47 »
What is the bv of a fiat shield?

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #14 on: 16 October 2018, 20:45:52 »
What is the bv of a fiat shield?

One Hundred Trillion to one, it's a one hundred trillion BV!!!1!

And that's standard 4/5...
TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #15 on: 16 October 2018, 21:02:53 »
One Hundred Trillion to one, it's a one hundred trillion BV!!!1!

And that's standard 4/5...
TT

Ah the old Jamie Wolf vs 35 trillion stingers scenario

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 16 October 2018, 21:12:45 »
Ah the old Jamie Wolf vs 35 trillion stingers scenario

One man, and his Machine!

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #17 on: 16 October 2018, 21:27:19 »
I'm sad that there was never a canon fight between Jaime Wolf and Morgan Kell.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #18 on: 16 October 2018, 21:29:09 »
Yeah, never been a fan of the giant-scale 'hero' merc units either- Dragoons, Kell Hounds, Eridani Light Horse, GDL, etc.- they're boring, to me. I like the more 'on the edge of desperation' units much more- Wilson's Hussars, for example, or some of the ones like Smithson's Chinese Bandits that ended up finding that they had to get their hands a lot dirtier than expected to survive (falling into Blakist machinations or even outright piracy to get by).

The Kell Hounds, at least, were more of a House unit pretending to be mercenaries despite never actually working for anyone else.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 16 October 2018, 21:36:35 »
Oh I think they did a great job beating whiney-be puppies down like WWE Raw! Just enough " lavage " to insure proper cleansing for the next time. Who doesn't like a great comeback story every now and then?

TT

( Yes I did use the correct wording here )
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #20 on: 16 October 2018, 21:43:15 »
I don't know about every trip, but I think it is mentioned that the Dragoons met the Khan in the periphery somewhere.

It would likely make sense that they did so where they dropped off the Warships.

It would also explain how they were back so fast using standard JS's unless they used their mothballed Warships to make those trips.

It would be far more likely that the Khan came most the way to the IS to meet them

They also had no Omni's with them.

They only took SL Tech items & even some of those had to be left behind w/ the warships when it was discovered they would stand out too much.

The Imp & Annihilator specifically made a lot of people say WTH?!?!?

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 16 October 2018, 22:30:17 »
And then they produced the very first Armored Gluag... Marauder II!

It was like WTF did we just see... a slow-ass Marauder that brushed off an AC/20 and still keeps coming?

And it has a Stalker buddy keeping pace as well? And it has buddies supporting them? I bugging out now!

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: 17 October 2018, 01:35:49 »
The Kell Hounds, at least, were more of a House unit pretending to be mercenaries despite never actually working for anyone else.

They worked for the FedSuns, when Prince Ian died. And they worked for the FWL after Morgan Kells departure. And short before the 4thSW again a tour with the FedSuns.

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: 17 October 2018, 01:43:56 »
Well I for one am very happy that all of the classic iconic units WEREN'T allowed to be arbitrarily erased. The Jihad was bad enough as it was. But that's another topic.
And since this topic ISN'T "which unit do I hate the most for being a success" maybe shelve that discussion on another thread??

The info on the Dragoons secret base and trips back home to raid the fridge and do their laundry?? What books/sources do I look in? Novels? Sourcebook? Crystal ball?
A point in the right research direction would be hawt!! 😁

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: 17 October 2018, 06:26:14 »
IIRC the story, when the WD recovered their warships is covered in Blood Legacy. Maybe there are navigation data? Haven't the book at hand.

haesslich

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: 17 October 2018, 08:43:10 »
The novel where they got their warships and other cached tech was in Wolf Pack. They were established as making limited runs of Clan mechs as of Blood Legacy, which is what you're remembering.

That's also where Jamie told Teddy K that Khan Kerlin Ward told them, during their last supply run, to cut ties and prepare the Inner Sphere for invasion.

Which, given how the novels went, they didn't. At least they didn't get all the Steiner-Davion killed, so other parties could get their shots in.

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: 17 October 2018, 10:08:56 »
Yeah, i always wondered what their plan was. What kind of preparation was it to sit back and keep secret? What if they had really contacted Hanse and told him the truth?

Do we have coordinates in Wolf Pack where the warship cache is?

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #27 on: 17 October 2018, 14:13:39 »
note that shortly after that meeting with kerlin Ward, the Dragoons opened up Academies on Outreach, with training options in mech piloting, tactics, logistics, Mech repair, etc.. it was used a lot by mercenaries, but also by successor state military's. and graduates of said places would inevitably spread their skills around afterwards.

While the Dragoon's couldn't really improve the technology of the IS much without revealing their deception, they could conduct a ground-up program to increase the general competence of the inner sphere's techs, soldiers, and officers.
« Last Edit: 17 October 2018, 14:30:55 by glitterboy2098 »

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 17 October 2018, 14:15:50 »
I think they also helped with intelligence they had on the Clans but I was surprised after luthien they weren't more active against Clan forces

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #29 on: 17 October 2018, 14:18:41 »
Why would they need to be?  House units were starting to win against the Clans and they had a cushy little fiefdom that was making buttloads of cash for little work.