Author Topic: Am I being Too clever in an RPG?  (Read 2786 times)

Drop Bear

• Lieutenant
Am I being Too clever in an RPG?
« on: 20 February 2013, 04:52:16 »
In one of the other Mech Games they have rules about Hanger bay sizes and Tech Rolls, if a Hanger isn't big enough you take a penalty to your Technical Skill Rolls for such reasons as not enough work space, insufficient tools or spere parts & consumables, conversely if you have a larger than required hanger space the extra working room, tools parts & such gives you a bonus. they also have rules for Skill "Laboratories" that depending on the Rank of the "Lab" adds to your skill rolls.

now I have 4,000 Cubic Meters to play with and my Mech needs 3430 Cubic Meters of hanger not to not take a Tech Roll Penalty, but the GM has told me that I may have to shear my hanger space with a similarly sized vehicle in the not to distant future, reducing my hanger space in to the Penalty range. If I include a Machine Shop and a Electronics Shop (Skill Labs for Mechanics and Electronics respectively) both taking up 100 Cubic Meters each I can take a Skill Bonus now and negate my skill penalty when it comes time to double up later on.

my question is am I being Clever, a little bit too clever and rules lawyerish or am I being a cheating <Bleep>? after all I'm replacing near on three and a half cubic meters of Hanger Space with 200 cubic meters of of machine & electronics shops.

Stahlseele

• Lieutenant
Re: Am I being Too clever in an RPG?
« Reply #1 on: 20 February 2013, 08:48:58 »
sounds good in theory.
technically it should work without a problem.
and who says you have to have both vehicles in the same hangar at the same time anyway? O.o
do maintenance / repairs on one while the other is on patrol for example. no malus to either then right?
Quote from one of the Mechwarrior: Living Legends Mod Developers:
'any kind of discussion of randomness ALWAYS WILL EQUATE to being able to critically hit a mech's reactor by firing a micro beam laser while facing 80 degrees to the side, shooting the ground, which would cause a random explosion which would randomly crit his entire team's reactors which would randomly cause the server itself to explode which would randomly generate a strange quark which would randomly hit the earth and randomly randomness ****** the shit ****** random!'

Drop Bear

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 20 February 2013, 10:24:29 »
rules are a bit specific on how things work with Hangers, you can have a "Repair Hanger" and rotate damaged craft through it for repairs, but to count as hangered for maintenance each must have it's own bay space with rolls at -2 for Minimal, -1 for Limited, +/-0 for Standard, +1 for Extensive.

I have a 4,000 Cubic Meter module strapped to the side of an old mining barge to play with, for my craft at minimal I need 686 Cubes (unless your desperate you don't use this for anything but a docking bay or long term inactive storage), 1715 cubes for Limited (what most sensible people conciser the minimum for a proper hanger) and 3430 for Standard, there is no way I'd have the almost 7000 cubes I'd need for extensive on this ship.

Thankfully my Giant Robot is only a Resources Exploration rig, my token weapon is a Laser that is so token it's ineffective against last generation Military hardware and due to my poor gunnery is almost ineffective against first generation military and any generation of civilian hardware.

My character has only Token Tech skills and after working her 40 hours a week mining or standing watch wile underway and about an other 20 a week on ship board chores my character still have to find 120 hours a week to maintain the Mech. the maintenance Bots should give me 40-60 "Man" Hours and I may be able to bargain for an other 20 man hours out of the other characters, but that will cut in to my profits and still leave me with 40-60 man hours a week to make up. thankfully the client is paying for materials on this job.

Nodachi

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 26 February 2013, 07:26:23 »
Which mecha rpg is this one?

Drop Bear

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 27 February 2013, 03:11:43 »
Jovian Chronicles (By Dream Pod 9), I'm playing out of the 1st Silhouette edition, as it's the most comprehensive edition, 2nd edition bottomed out before it could put out enough books to match the 1st edition, that and it was tainted by the inclusion of D20 rules in the source book and you had to buy the Silhouette rules set separately, if they hadn't included the D20 crud they could have put the rules in the Source book and made it the 2nd ed core book.

Register