Author Topic: Titan II Carrier DropShip  (Read 1279 times)

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
Titan II Carrier DropShip
« on: 21 May 2018, 09:54:59 »
This is my first attempt at a DropShip and my numbers are probably a wee bit wrong somewhere so I appologise.

The Titan class DropShip always had my head scratching as the TRO seemed to lack any Clan refit for its weapons and equipment save that the Clan one carried 30 fighters instead of 18.  It still has the old lasers and AC-20's that armed the SLDF ships, and this makes no sense to me, so I had a go at Clannifying the Titan II.  One thing I did that makes it stand out is considerably slow her down to a 4/6 movement curve.  The Titan, in my head is a CV(E) (not Combustable Vulnerable Expendable) but a jeep carrier, there to beef up the defences of friendly WarShips.  The Clans however I would think would use it more as a patrol and system security ship.  30 Fighters is a scary force for anything to come across and the Titan would represent a serious threat to anything short of a cruiser and even then..its iffy.

So I slowed her down, upped her armour protection and anti-fighter firepower by eliminating the short ranged heavy caliber ACs and opting for a simple mix of lasers and missiles for long range work.  And even if she was challenged by an Assault DropShip say, in the Inner Sphere, she's got enough firepower to fend one off for the most part.

Code: [Select]
Class/Model/Name: Titan II Carrier DropShip
Tech: Clan
Vessel Type: Aerodyne
Mass: 12,000 tons
Safe Thrust: 4
Maximum Thrust: 6
Armor Type: Ferro Aluminium
Armament:       

8 x Large Pulse laser
15 x ER large Laser
8 x Medium pulse laser
8 x LRM 20 + Artemis IV Fire control
12 x AMS

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Class/Model/Name: Titan II Carrier DropShip
Mass: 12,000 tons

Equipment: Mass
Drive & Control: 2928
Thrust:  Safe Thrust: 4
      Maximum Thrust: 6
Structural Integrity: 18 1080
Total Heat Sinks: 450 Double Heatsinks 450
Fuel & Fuel Pumps: 500 tons 510
Cargo and Consumables: 1660 tons
Fire Control:
Armor Type: 81 tons Ferro Aluminium Type (1361) 80
Standard Scale Armor Pts

Fore: 338
Right: 338
Left: 338
Aft: 330

Cargo:
   Bay 1: 1677 tons 2 x Bays

Escape Craft
18 x Escape Pod

Crew and Passengers:
4 x Officers
25 x Crew
7 x Gunners
60 x Bay personnel

Weapons and Equipment Loc SRV MRV LRV ERV Heat Mass
# Type - - - - - - -

4 x Laser Large Pulse (C) Nose 40 40 40 40 24
6 x Laser Large ER (C) Nose 60 60 60 60 72 24
2 x AMS (C) Nose 2
96 x AMS (C) Ammo Nose 4

4 xLRM 20 + Artemis IV (C) LW 64 64 64 64 24 24
144 xLRM 20 + Artemis IV Ammo LW 16
4 x Laser Medium Pulse (C) LW 28 28 16 8
2 x AMS (C) LW 2
96 x AMS (C) Ammo LW 4

4 xLRM 20 + Artemis IV (C) RW 64 64 64 64 24 24
144 xLRM 20 + Artemis IV Ammo RW 16
4 x Laser Medium Pulse (C) RW 28 28 16 8
2 x AMS (C) RW 1
96 x AMS (C) Ammo RW 4

2 xLaser Large Pulse (C) LW (aft)20 20 20 20 12
2 x Laser Large ER (C) LW (aft)20 20 20 24 8
2 x AMS (C) LW (Aft) 1
96 x AMS (C) Ammo LW (aft) 4

2 xLaser Large Pulse (C) RW (aft)20 20 20 20 12
2 x Laser Large ER (C) RW (aft)20 20 20 24 8
2 x AMS (C) RW (Aft) 1
96 x AMS (C) Ammo RW (aft) 4

5 x Laser Large ER (C) Aft 50 50 50 50 60 20
2 x AMS (C) Aft 2
96 x AMS (C) Ammo Aft 4

Ammo
Type # Rounds

LRM 20 Artemis IV ammo 288
AMS (C) Ammo 576

Other Equipment
30 x Fighter Bays - 2 Bay doors each

As always, any thoughts or comments are most welcome:)

Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Starfox1701

• Warrant Officer
Re: Titan II Carrier DropShip
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2018, 02:05:27 »
Ok I thought about this one all day and I have concluded I don't like it. I see what you're among at I think but it losses too much of what made the Titan effective in the first place. You see Titans aren't standoff weapons. There supposed to follow there fighters in and break face on if he Dropships or just wreck the day of heavy fighters and that means big guns.

At first u was ify on the speed drop but I think she can live with it and the extra armor is nice. While I know most of your designs are ment to live in the clan invasion era. With that in mind I have a purposed change. Either way she has too many heat sinks by at least 100 tons. Even her current load out can't break 50% of her heat dissipation capacity. It is based on the original load out keeping in mind that clan guns are lighter I'd wager any tonnage saved can go into additional ammo.

Option 1 replace nose and aft ac with clan ultra ac 20s. Wing mounts get LBX AC 20s . Upgrade all large lasers to clan er and all mediums to clan pulse. Add you ams setup. Upgrade LRMs to clan 20s with Artemis iv Increase standards ac ammo to 32 tons add 8 tons cluster ammo and increase lrms to 20 tons.

If there any tonnage left from dumping heat sinks add fule since you got the armour from shrinking the engine not sure what the will add up to because heavy metal don't run on phones an I don't have a pc right now or is have run the sheet for you.

I get the whole baby carrier othing. I love the stores of the jeep carriers fighting Japanese battleships at Lete gulf. Its just when I look at the Titan I don't see a Casablanca I see a half pint Midway.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2018, 02:29:33 »
Ooh thats a good way of looking at it.  I tend to think navally and view carriers as sort of a sacred cow, something to be guarded and protected.  Whilst the Jag's built the Miraborg/Charybdis to fly in with its fighters and knee you in the groin and then in the face as you fell forwards with the crying and vomiting, that's because its a Jaguar design and their approach to everything was 'boot to the head'. 

I never thought of the Titan as an attack carrier but it really does make sense when you look at even the original designs weapons loadout.  In my mind the Titan was built to hang back and if she got in trouble, run away, with her guns being a big deterrent to anything coming after her, but now that you mentioned it, I have seen the big, obvious thing that's been doing a song and dance right in my face and i'll have a look at her again :)
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #3 on: 03 June 2018, 17:03:05 »
Interesting.

But I'd have preferred the weapons match the original better.

Flat swaps to GR, LRM20Art, ERLL, MPL.
Add small AMS to flavor in arcs less than 12 weapons.

Actually, what I would really like to see in a Titan is one that goes "Marine Insertion" & drops 1 Star of Fighters for a Star of 5 Taxies & a Binary of Elementals.

I think something like that would make for a nifty system patrol unit.

Sadly its probably more of an IS craft than a Clan one.  (18 Fighters & 3 Shuttles w/ a company of Marines would work)

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Starfox1701

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 03 June 2018, 19:27:31 »
That might work better as a variant of the Snow Raven Titan Monitor class

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #5 on: 04 June 2018, 15:43:00 »
I actually thought about that option but the SR version is already down to 10 Fighters I think & the weapons are focused on a specific task so I wouldn't want to steal weight from those.

I guess if it was JUST a Marine unit but that didn't have quite the same feel.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Starfox1701

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 04 June 2018, 16:08:46 »
Think of it as a naval star, 3 standards and 2 marine boarder variants. They work together to cripple the ship then they send in the troops with the aero trinery flying cap.