Author Topic: (Answered) Conversion of MMLs with Artemis IV to Alpha Strike  (Read 3905 times)

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
The previous topic was written for a different edition of Alpha Strike (it mentioned using regular BT damage values and modifying them, which is an immediate red flag), and proved to be unhelpful.

I'm building a custom config of an Omni.  Specifically, a Perseus.  This particular custom config features an MML-9 with Artemis IV.  That's where my uncertainty comes in.  A strict reading of the rules (posted below) makes me think that by mounting Art. IV, the unit completely foregoes any possibility of having SRM, LRM, or IF.  My gut tells me that's wrong, because Art. IV equipped launchers are still capable of firing alternate munitions (the entire point of SRM and LRM), and still capable of firing indirection.

Quote from: Table Notes, pg. 107
LRM, MML, and SRM Damage: The value left of the slash indicates the Weapon’s damage when employed without any Artemis FCS; the value right of the slash indicates the weapon’s damage when employed with an Artemis IV FCS (including Prototype Artemis). LRMs, MMLs, and SRMs using Artemis-improved damage values cannot apply those values to the LRM or SRM special.

There are two values for MMLs listed on the conversion table, one with Art. IV (right side), one without.  However, nowhere does it say that an Art. IV equipped MML is able to use the damage values without Art. IV to calculate SRM, LRM, and IF, it just says that they can't use the Art. IV values.

Even after that, I'm... well, drawing a bit of a blank on how to calculate these.  My initial impression from reading is that I'd end up with LRM 1/1/1, IF1, and SRM1/1.  The problem with that is that it obviously doesn't take the minimum range of LRMs into account when assigning a 1 value to short range.

How should this resolve?
« Last Edit: 27 April 2015, 14:11:14 by nckestrel »
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Conversion of MMLs with Artemis IV to Alpha Strike
« Reply #1 on: 27 April 2015, 14:11:00 »
Artemis, in Alpha Strike conversions, makes a unit disqualified from LRM or SRM special abilities.  That's true for LRM, SRM or MML.
They do still qualify for IF.

An MML unit (without artemis) splits it's damage values among LRM and SRM.  All it's short range damage counts toward SRM, it's medium range value is split equally, and the long range damage value applies towards LRM only. 

So an MML (without Artemis), would be split 1.0/.375/0 to SRM, and 0/3.75/.5 to LRM.  The 3.75 at medium range, by itself, isn't enough to qualify for LRM or SRM, so unless the unit had more MMLs (or SRMs and/or LRMs) to get those medium range values up to 1.0, the unit would not get LRM or SRM.
(I believe the above LRM/SRM split for MMLs needs errata as it appears to have been left out of the ASC version).
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
Re: (Answered) Conversion of MMLs with Artemis IV to Alpha Strike
« Reply #2 on: 27 April 2015, 14:16:34 »
That ruling on Artemis is a bit disappointing, but I can see the reason behind it.

Should an Artemis IV equipped launcher use the first or second value for IF?
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: (Answered) Conversion of MMLs with Artemis IV to Alpha Strike
« Reply #3 on: 27 April 2015, 14:19:20 »
It would use the Artemis values.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Register