Author Topic: What movies are we watching: B-Movie Blitz  (Read 157208 times)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Re: What movies are we watching: B-Movie Blitz
« Reply #1170 on: 12 November 2019, 15:22:53 »
Remember that in Terminator 3, the new villain robot had a plasma rifle and a flamethrower built into her arm. So there's already precedent.
Sarah O'Connor television show at least try make some sense.  I don't think there enough time to express story more clearly.  I see films as events, brief moments of importance. When you have television style show, you got time tell tail that makes sense. 
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #1171 on: 14 November 2019, 01:16:20 »
Just watched Stephen Chow's The Mermaid.  Pretty entertaining, a bit more heavy on the drama than his usual work.  The comedy was done in his usual style, and it was neat to see a number of recurring faces from the other films in it. 

The special effects were par for the course for China, but it worked.
« Last Edit: 14 November 2019, 11:07:35 by Luciora »

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #1172 on: 14 November 2019, 11:05:47 »
Midway 1976.

First scene, where the Japanese discuss Halsey, approx 22 min 30 sec.

Second scene, between Nimitz and Halsey, approx 36 min 25 sec.

Time stamp may vary slightly dependent upon copy. There's a couple other scenes in between the two which may have caused some confusion.
Glad to know I'm not making stuff up. Thanks.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Triptych

• Lieutenant
    • My Amazon Author Page
« Reply #1173 on: 01 December 2019, 04:25:58 »
The Irishman

Scorsese is at it again with Robert DeNiro, Al Pacino and Joe Pesci, perhaps for the final time together. It's about a guy named Frank who becomes a hitman for the mob, and his relationship with Jimmy Hoffa.

I gotta say, its 3 and a half hours long and some portions do drag a little. Some of the computer generated de aging is a bit awkward, because these old actors have a hard time physically playing younger versions of themselves- stand ins would have helped.

In the end though, it's nice to see DeNiro, Pacino and Pesci do one last turn- it almost feels like a swansong for all the major players involved. Lots of the supporting cast was from Boardwalk Empire too. The whole thing is very similar to Goodfellas. 8/10

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #1174 on: 01 December 2019, 04:59:32 »
I like the 1976 Midway movie. I can get past the wrong planes, and different ships...because its the 70's and they didn't want to use models.
It told a good story...more factual than other war movies later down the road. Its in my top 10 of war movies. Not the best but still pretty good. The stuff with the Charleston Heston and his son could of been left out.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #1175 on: 07 December 2019, 12:03:05 »
Watched Charlie's Angels.

It was okay.  Not as much campy fun, not that boring to me, just okay

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #1176 on: 08 December 2019, 09:30:45 »
The Irishman.

While it was good, I have to admit, I agree with reviewers who called it "Goodfellas... with the boring bits included". The driving scenes were indeed draggy and too much investment for too little payoff. But it was good. Not as good as was claimed: "The first 5 minutes are better than any MCU film!" somebody bragged, and it was not true.

Unlike other reviewers I liked retirement home De Niro and retirement (prison) Joe Pesci - it hammers home the bottomline that crime has significant lasting consequences and few lasting rewards. But otherwise there's not much one learns from the story, unlike, say, Godfather. Similar to Goodfellas, the thrill is from knowing that these events happened in real life. (More or less, minus dramatisation and the questionable claims about Jimmy Hoffa.) Other than that, you don't learn anything.

Certainly entertaining though. 8/10, wouldn't watch again, good for a one-time deal.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #1177 on: 17 December 2019, 22:51:22 »
Well, I saw Keanu Reeves Shoots People John Wick 3 last night.

I haven't actually seen the first two but I don't really think it mattered.  What was going on in the film was pretty obvious.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #1178 on: 17 December 2019, 22:59:50 »
Watched 6 Underground on Netflix. Typical Michael Bay fair. gratuitous explosions and a limited script. Until this movie, I never saw an outdoor cafe table explode in a ball of flame. The car that hit it, did not.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1179 on: 18 December 2019, 02:11:45 »

I haven't actually seen the first two but I don't really think it mattered.  What was going on in the film was pretty obvious.

I've seen them all.  My rundown goes Wick 1, Wick 3, Wick 2..

It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1180 on: 18 December 2019, 03:24:59 »
Don't know, don't especially care.  I watched it because a friend had rented it and I was hanging out at his place and I'm not really thinking that I'm going to bother seeing the other two.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1181 on: 18 December 2019, 05:04:45 »
I've seen them all.  My rundown goes Wick 1, Wick 3, Wick 2..

John Wick is a mile above it's sequels. John Wick 2 is polarizing, but passable. John Wick 3 is pretty good, but the franchise is going stale somewhat.

I'd say that plot wise, not seeing John Wick and John Wick 2 would make it difficult to understand some of the factors involved. This doesn't mean the movie would make sense, but it would be somewhat less compelling. There is actually a pretty good story line at play there, but if you didn't really enjoy it overmuch then definitely don't bother watching the other two, you'd just be wasting your time.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #1182 on: 18 December 2019, 10:03:35 »
John Wick is a mile above it's sequels. John Wick 2 is polarizing, but passable. John Wick 3 is pretty good, but the franchise is going stale somewhat.

But not stale enough to prevent John Wick 4 (as JW3 made over $100 million in profit)
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1183 on: 18 December 2019, 13:16:33 »
I'd say that plot wise, not seeing John Wick and John Wick 2 would make it difficult to understand some of the factors involved. This doesn't mean the movie would make sense, but it would be somewhat less compelling. There is actually a pretty good story line at play there, but if you didn't really enjoy it overmuch then definitely don't bother watching the other two, you'd just be wasting your time.

Wick is a retired assassin who went on a rampage after some jerks killed his dog and burned down his house.  Then he got involved with The Big Criminal Organization that he used to work for and killed one of their heads because the guy was too stupid to live, but he did it in the hotel where no fighting is supposed to occur.  This led the organization to use gratuitous Latin to put a bounty on his head.  Movie start.  Did I miss anything important?

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #1184 on: 18 December 2019, 13:37:56 »
Did I miss anything important?
His late wife (who was the reason he retired) gave him the dog.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #1185 on: 18 December 2019, 13:39:55 »
I think JW1 was preferred by those who liked straightforward shoot em ups, while JW2 was preferred by those who liked to explore the intricacies of how the High Table underworld works.

The seasonal mood is kicking in hard down here. I watched the Series 8 Dr Who Christmas Special "Last Christmas".

Damn I miss Clara.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1186 on: 18 December 2019, 15:00:10 »
But not stale enough to prevent John Wick 4 (as JW3 made over $100 million in profit)

I like how Wick 1, established that there was a somewhat global assassin kabal, and 'safe zones' in the continentials..  Then how it was Expanded on with 2, and further with 3..

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1187 on: 18 December 2019, 15:53:23 »
His late wife (who was the reason he retired) gave him the dog.

Yeah, but that point wasn't really necessary to understand what was happening in 3.  I mean, the dog barely even got mentioned since he's got a new dog.

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #1188 on: 18 December 2019, 18:49:47 »
Yeah, but that point wasn't really necessary to understand what was happening in 3.  I mean, the dog barely even got mentioned since he's got a new dog.
It's what makes it all romantic. He did it for love.  ;D

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1189 on: 19 December 2019, 01:29:18 »
Caught Rambo, Last blood..  Loved the way he rigged his farmstead for that final battle..  But the end, was rather strange..  are we to assume he just sat there to die?

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1190 on: 19 December 2019, 05:07:22 »
Wick is a retired assassin who went on a rampage after some jerks killed his dog and burned down his house.  Then he got involved with The Big Criminal Organization that he used to work for and killed one of their heads because the guy was too stupid to live, but he did it in the hotel where no fighting is supposed to occur.  This led the organization to use gratuitous Latin to put a bounty on his head.  Movie start.  Did I miss anything important?

Quite a lot actually, but it's clear that you didn't enjoy the movie, and I really don't care enough to explain things you likely already know and are willfully disregarding in because you simply didn't like the movie.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1191 on: 19 December 2019, 11:34:05 »
I enjoyed the movie, I just didn't find it to be terribly deep or meaningful.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #1192 on: 01 January 2020, 08:22:16 »
For the Holidays my wife and I watched Die Hard and the 1984 version of A Christmas Carol, the one starring George C. Scott.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1193 on: 01 January 2020, 09:27:22 »
Just caught Zombieland: Double Tap.

It dragged through the first two acts, then went a light speed in the final act.

Pity, they couldn't follow up on the promise of the first, but they did leave it for a long time.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #1194 on: 01 January 2020, 09:40:03 »
I'm looking forwards to seeing Jojo the Rabbit, it looks different to be sure!
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1195 on: 01 January 2020, 15:19:23 »
Just caught Zombieland: Double Tap.

Strangely, i've never watched the first one all the way through..  Caught 10 min here or there...

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1196 on: 01 January 2020, 19:21:19 »
Strangely, i've never watched the first one all the way through..  Caught 10 min here or there...

I really enjoyed the first movie, Zombieland was novel, a fresh take on the Zombie movie.

Zombieland Double Tap was very faithful to the original, but really slow and dull through what should have been the best part.

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #1197 on: 09 January 2020, 15:42:20 »
I was impressed by 1917, there were few minor gripes, but in all I enjoyed it a lot
Shoot first, laugh later.

Deathknight69

• Captain
  • Supernaturalizing the universe !!
« Reply #1198 on: 26 January 2020, 06:46:26 »
The Battle of Britain followed by 633 Squadron.
"Remember kids, Ammo explosion's are as much fun as friendly fire and incoming fire has the right-of-way." - ShadowSeraph
Avatar by Wombat, Thanks again to the blue fuzzy marsupial of wanton destruction.
"SRM Carrier. It's actual combat value is irrelevant; the face of a player when one of their 'mechs takes a point-blank shot from one is priceless!  ^-^" - Fireangel
"What's a little canon-deviation amongst friends and enemies" - Self
Quote from: DarkSpade on August 10, 2022, 15:23:40
If you think about it, the perfect merc lives long enough to complete the objective, but not long enough to get paid.
Well, there's an Obi-Wan level point of view comment for you ...  xp
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 15:35:06 by Wolf72 »

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #1199 on: 26 January 2020, 17:29:24 »
ok since 1983 i was never ever able to watch return of the jedi without interruption and over the years i was always interrupted or movie broke or dvd died and at one time theater was on fire at same point at line fly causally chewee. today was the day  i finally was able to watch it without any of the stuff happening to it.

also watched jexi and it is one movie that makes a point of making sure one reads the terms of service

finally got around to watching old live action adaptation of manga uzumaki nice horror flick

and i was tortured by my friends when they dragged me to theater and forced me to sit through the most horrid movie ....rise of the skywalker...i want my 2 hours back and i want to have my eyes replaced!
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Register