Author Topic: Ridiculously Overboard!!  (Read 18424 times)

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Ridiculously Overboard!!
« Reply #210 on: 21 February 2023, 11:50:55 »
Fanaticism dating back decades...

...plus the finest enhancements the Master and the Manei Domini could install, versus the unleashed rage and insanity of a violated child-combined with the nastiest modifications the Cameron Dynasty could install in a killer covert-operative and the combined residues of those operatives that had borne the previous generation of the Desmond type implant.

it shouldn't even be a contest.  Ananiel's technology was superior, stronger, better armored, and complete, with no known flaws and no failures in implantation.

Amanda Roberts was a damaged meat-suit with damaged tech, able to drive past rational limitations due to the simple expedient of not knowing, or remembering, what those limits might be, and being unable to care what those limits are.

She was a broken thing, but in that brokenness, she was better integrated, the skillwires didn't need to be activated, they were already going, the adrenal boosts didn't need conscious choice, they simple were.  The processor enhancement didn't need to apply to her conscous memory-it had, over the last four years in 'the wild' integrated and copied through the plasticity of youth and developing brain-matter, become her reflexes.

The human brain stops growing around 25 terran years, when the skull's plates finally finish fusing together.  This is why child-soldiers tend to be more messed up after their war, than adults-they have a harder time reintegrating back to civilian status, to peacetime. the Trauma becomes 'normal'.

The Manei Domini officer she is facing, has the brain of an old man, who was an adult and a young man, but still an adult, when he was converted.

Despite the physical differences, then, the fight was horrifyingly even...and he was beginning to feel a visceral sensation he had not felt since the battle of Tukayyid.

He was feeling visceral fear.  The sensation that he was not the one in control of the fight, not the one certain of victory, not ordained to save humanity from itself.

This insane child was the result, and she was here to bring the sins of the Manei Domini to them in the flesh-and-steel.

In a mix of terror and desperation, He threw a punch with all his enhancement...

he lashed out and she felt the breastplate of her suit shatter, and a pressure in her chest, mixed with lancing pains that sent her spinning into the bulkhead,  he remained anchored, and lashed at air with his other fist, as she struggled to reorient, pulling her cutlass from a bulkhead.

she coughed blood, but it hurt less than the surgeries.

"He's still using his cybernetic eyes to track you, I can't spoof them for much longer"

"Keel-Haul..." she coughed, "Make him walk the plank..." She kicked with both feet, and used the velocity and her unbalanced spin, the swipe brought the edge of the cutlass against where a human's windpipe would be.

He gurgled, suddenly clawing as she drew her knees up agianst his massive back, roughly shoving the vibroblade through his reinforcements of myomer, endosteel, and artificial bone.  sparks flew.

his flailing actually made it cut deeper and she grabbed the top of his head, wrestling the powered blade through a neck that could take shots from a 12.7mm machine-gun.

the head came free in a spray of pink mist, coating the chamber in not-quite-enough-blood for a body that size.

the machine was all that was left, lashing out independent of the severed head in her hand.

she drove her blade down, into the opened torso.

stirring like a butter-churn, until he stopped moving.

"I...want...my...answers, Erin." she hacked up more blood with each word.

"You will have them....could you perhaps do me a favor, and convince your Snow Raven allies not to kill me, Please?"
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #211 on: 21 February 2023, 12:11:39 »
Samuel found her struggling up a passageway...

...to CIC.  It wasn't that hard to find Captain Roberts, he just had to follow the trail of bodies to a section filled with an armored computer core installation and the headless corpse of a cyborg the size of a Clan Battlesuit with Elemental inside...only what was inside, was chopped plastic and what was left of a brain hidden in the chest of a cyborg.

from there, it wasn't hard to catch up.

"Captain!!"

"I feel terrible." she mourned.  Her Nighthawk suit was wrecked, there were pieces of it broken and missing and she had a cyborg's head in her left hand.  "I need to get to CIC..."

He helped her using his maneuvering pack to reach the access shaft.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #212 on: 21 February 2023, 13:09:37 »
"Seven thousand civilians...

...That's how many she saved."  Star Commodore Constance Foster announced.  The Khans and the President sat in flanking positions in the hearing room. 

Dignitaries from the Republic were also present, to confirm the proof that the war Criminal John Halloran, aka 'Ananiel' was truly dead.

There wasn't much left of old John Halloran, his cybernetic enhancements had continued during his long tour after the Jihad, relocating his brain to deep in the middle of his armored chest, synthetic nerves connecting it to a head that was just a sensor suite and supplemental processing.

But there was enough to cross-reference with captured Blakist files.  Enough to confirm that the man whose command devastated a dozen or so worlds before, during, and after the Jihad was, in fact, the cybernetic monster that Amanda Roberts had killed in single combat before taking over the WoBS Erinyes.

Part of this hearing, was about what to do about that ship, the Republic of the Sphere wanted it.

They also wanted the half-conversion cyborg girl who killed Ananiel.

"Seven...thousand?"

"Near enough.  There were more awaiting shipment to the vessel on the surface.  The sons of Plunder have been...busy."  Connie confirmed, "Presently, Kappa and Delta Galaxies are still mopping up on Tresspass, we have confirmed a civilian population of over fifty thousand prisoners and persons taken as slaves, just in the main city and nearby farms."

"What about Erinyes?"  the Republic's Ambassador demanded, "That ship is-"

"That ship, is not the Republic's Property."  President Mitchell Avellar stated, "it is a war-capture, taken by personnel operating under Alliance letter of Marque, and Reserve Director, and Captain, Amanda Roberts has not chosen to release it for auction under Prize rules."

"Clan Snow Raven has first claim on the auction, and right of refusal." Khan Lynn McKenna added, "Which makes historical or treaty claims from outside parties third priority."

"May I ask...what is your intention with it, then?" the envoy demanded.  "That ship is a weapon of mass destruction-"

"that ship's mass driver is to be dismounted."  the door closed, and Amanda strode in, her nighthawk suit helmet-less and repaired, draped in a ridiculous long, nylon-pseodoleather 'coat' with absurd braiding at the cuffs and styled like the cover of a romance novel, her synthetic eye in place, and a slightly bloodied bandage wrapped around her head.  "It is to be dismounted, and the sale of it, and certain other equipment, is to be done in order to restore the SLS Erinyes to her original specification as a mobile yard ship for colony support."

the girl stopped, "and I'll fight anyone who says she goes to the breakers."

"You intend to command two ships?" Khan McKenna asked.

"Negative." Amanda stated, "I will release her to commission with the Outworlds Fleet, or to commission with Clan Snow Raven, and nobody else.  She's very horrified by what the monsters made her do, she was never supposed to be a weapon."

Avellar started to smile, and leaned back, as the Republic's man stared.

"You're personifying a warship- one that-"

"I am stating that the M-11 Advanced colony research ship known as SLS Erinyes is fully aware, for the first time since she was shut down, of what people have used her for-she's Sapient enough to  be horrified.  They enslaved her like they tried to do to me, they butchered her, took her artificial wombs, her 'iron wombs' and dumped the frozen embryos, they stripped her factories and colony support equipment, and dumped it, they shoved a gods-damned mass driving super-cannon into her and used her as a gods-damned atrocity factory!!"  Amanda stepped up to the Republic's delegation, "can you begin to contemplate the damage?  to be helpless, mind dimmed, forced to murder again, and again, and again when your whole purpose was to nurture life??"

Amanda turned to the rest of the board, "I am speaking on behalf of one who has no legal standing, who cannot claim the basic human rights everyone in this room is born with!  They made her a slave and used her!!"

Captain Roberts laid her chipped cutlass on the evidence table, "There is an ancient saying-we are all free, or none of us are free.  They made her a slave-of-war, a tool of butchery and murder, she wants to be what she was originally designed to be, that is her wish, and as the holder of her Mark, I insist that wish be granted, that we prove to god and the universe that we are not animals!!"

"By what right??" the Envoy almost shouted.  "That machine is an abomination!!"

"I...am the Great Captain Roberts!!!" Amanda spat back at him, "I also hold the legal title to that ship, and I say she is to be released from bondage, and I will  terrorize, or kill, anyone who seeks to make slaves in the Alliance!  You are not great enough to contend with my will, so give it up, jackhole, I've crushed stronger men than you and greater monsters than you've ever seen."

"Well, Mister Envoy, that settles that." Mitchell Avellar announced, glancing to McKenna and her SaKhan, both of whom nodded agreement.

[The End of the Introduction]

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #213 on: 21 February 2023, 13:20:37 »
[out of story]

I've hit up 2nd ACR for help with the sequel, we're still in discussions.

I find I'm as enthusiastic about the adventures of "The GREAT CAPTAIN (or pirate) ROBERTS!!!" as I have been for years with the various Ngo sagas.

painfully enough, there ARE some commonalities on that front, and I left (I hope) enough dangling threads that I can continue to develop the setting and especially Amanda, without going back and retreading over-and-over-and-over in ways that some of y'all have suggested dissatisfaction with.

Amanda's legal status is "Government sanctioned Privateer", not a mercenary, not a merchant, not a true member of any established military, because her 'yard' is the Unincorporated regions, she IS technically an agent of the State, but not in the standard reactive posture.  her 'job' is to seek out trouble to get into, and then, get out of it.

Her bona-fide with the Clanners, is taking a giant-size warship with only ten men, and doing most of the work her own-damn-self.

That buys respect from people for whom proficiency with violence is a social grace.  Her obvious submission to Avellar helps here too, and since it's clearly NOT genetics but instead, malfunctioning cybernetics and a certain level of visible kuh-rayyy-zee nobody in their right mind thinks a bondcord is a smart move...but she's damned useful, and she's cooperative.

anyway...hope you all enjoyed this. I will be setting up a Google Doc for the sequel, and will post it when I have a useful plotline and (I hope) some people chipping in with cool characters and ideas (and editing help) because I want this series to be decently polished rather than just banged out between work-shifts at boeing.

please, feel free to comment, tell me what I got totally wrong, what I should have done better, and who should get more focus time?

eriktheviking

• Corporal
« Reply #214 on: 21 February 2023, 13:27:37 »
It has been a most enjoyable introduction to a new character and a twist on the Manei Domini. I do hope you decide to develop this further and I would like to see which clan would attempt to put a bondcord on Amanda and their bidding process for the honour.

Thank you for the story. :thumbsup: :clap:

Artifex

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #215 on: 21 February 2023, 13:49:52 »
:clap: Well done Cannonshop I for one like this character you've painstakingly fleshed out in the last few weeks.

This one wonders how Murakami is going to fare now under the aegis of Amanda as a colony support ship.

paulobrito

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #216 on: 21 February 2023, 14:04:41 »
Is anew type of personage, and a very interesting one. Please develop her.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #217 on: 21 February 2023, 14:27:43 »
:clap: Well done Cannonshop I for one like this character you've painstakingly fleshed out in the last few weeks.

This one wonders how Murakami is going to fare now under the aegis of Amanda as a colony support ship.

For that, You can believe I will be hitting up Noriko Murakami's creator (for the record: Giovanni_Blasini of these very boards) for info, details, maybe nag him to help on a short or three...

Ramblefire

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #218 on: 21 February 2023, 14:47:19 »
I like that your keeping the Cambiano belters around now. Nice to know that my contributions are sticking around. Maybe I'll get to see Naomi or her kids tooling around some day.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #219 on: 21 February 2023, 15:34:36 »
For that, You can believe I will be hitting up Noriko Murakami's creator (for the record: Giovanni_Blasini of these very boards) for info, details, maybe nag him to help on a short or three...

I can do that.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #220 on: 21 February 2023, 16:05:34 »
Cannonshop, well done..  and of course now I hope for more of the The GREAT CAPTAIN (or pirate) ROBERTS!
 :thumbsup: :clap: :beer: :rockon:
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #221 on: 21 February 2023, 16:57:53 »
[out of story]
Her bona-fide with the Clanners, is taking a giant-size warship with only ten men, and doing most of the work her own-damn-self.

I wonder if delcaring Erinyes as a person is thought of by the Ravens as Amanda taking her as a bondswoman?

Avellar is probably happy at the plan to remove the weapons and return Erinyes to peaceful civilian use.  Personally, for his local politics, and foreign relations.  "we don't have a planet breaking warship, we have a mobile shipyard to support colony development."

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #222 on: 21 February 2023, 17:11:05 »
Well that can get a bit tricky with the Ravens.  The Clans do have a bit of a problem with AI thanks to how much of a pain it was for Kerensky's liberation of the former Terran Hegemony.

georgiaboy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #223 on: 21 February 2023, 17:22:26 »
Was it Canon or Fanon that Kerensky had a problem wit the SDS AI's being too imagitative and independent.
"Constructive critism is never a bad comment"
-Me

"By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher."
- Socrates

croaker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #224 on: 21 February 2023, 17:43:22 »
Was it Canon or Fanon that Kerensky had a problem wit the SDS AI's being too imagitative and independent.

Fanon, but one that has appeared in Cannonshop's stories before.

CS, another very enjoyable ride, and I eagerly await the next. Thanks for sharing Amanda and her adventures with us!

Known Glitch

• Warrant Officer
  • Why haven't we fixed this yet?
« Reply #225 on: 21 February 2023, 17:48:15 »
Encore!  Encore!

Thanks again for this story and the setting.  Looking forward to more going forward.

Will also offer up another set of eyeballs for research if you need them.

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #226 on: 21 February 2023, 18:05:36 »
Wait? Whut?

You actually plan a sequel?

o.O

O.o

Oh shit. Moar please.
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

namar13766

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #227 on: 21 February 2023, 18:06:38 »
Was it Canon or Fanon that Kerensky had a problem wit the SDS AI's being too imaginative and independent?

Something about that always made me wonder.

When the Caspars were demonstrating an “alarming degree of autonomy” before they were lobotomized into serving anyone who had the correct codes...which was more possible?

Were they showing too much bloodthirstiness, or did it go the other way where the AIs were refusing to execute illegal and/or horrific orders?

You have to remember that the Star League was an environment where a mercenary group could go around openly calling themselves the Greenhaven Gestapo and be financially successful enough for an up and coming despot to notice and want to hire them.

The idea that killbots liking to kill could possibly be a problem might not occur to anyone in setting until at least a couple months after a non-trivial percentage of the population got bombed from orbit.
« Last Edit: 21 February 2023, 18:24:32 by namar13766 »

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #228 on: 21 February 2023, 18:30:31 »
As far as canon goes I have been watching(almost more listening with Chapter 7 thanks to being at work) Sven der plank's wonderful youtube series covering the Amaris Civil War.  It pretty well does cover just how much of a butcher's bill the SDS was extracting from Kerensky.

Korzon77

• Captain
« Reply #229 on: 21 February 2023, 18:30:36 »
I find it interseting that at least some segments of the hegemony were interested in long-range colonization.

Maybe there were groups that realized the whole star league + feudal lords with WMD's just wasn't stable and wanted to hedge their best?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #230 on: 21 February 2023, 18:56:25 »
Argh... you seem to do the most impactful stuff while I'm at work...  ::)

You KNOW I'm 100% in for the editing and AToW stats ends of the business... just let me know when!  :thumbsup:

And yes, I still owe you Sam at least... maybe this weekend I'll have time...  8)

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #231 on: 21 February 2023, 22:04:34 »
I can do that.

I'll have a request for you inbound before Friday by PM.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #232 on: 21 February 2023, 22:05:49 »
Encore!  Encore!

Thanks again for this story and the setting.  Looking forward to more going forward.

Will also offer up another set of eyeballs for research if you need them.

I'll try to have a research request for YOU by Friday as well.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #233 on: 21 February 2023, 22:07:37 »
Argh... you seem to do the most impactful stuff while I'm at work...  ::)

You KNOW I'm 100% in for the editing and AToW stats ends of the business... just let me know when!  :thumbsup:

And yes, I still owe you Sam at least... maybe this weekend I'll have time...  8)

I will also be hitting you up for more profiles, Daryk. :)

kioras

• Sergeant
« Reply #234 on: 21 February 2023, 22:58:41 »
Amanda having this bit of disconnect also means that the Snow Ravens can look the other way at the moral questions to the full functional AI.

It is loyal to Roberts after being properly returned to colonization spec, out in the wastes proving very important work.

Out of sight, out of mind.

EAGLE 7

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #235 on: 21 February 2023, 23:06:04 »
    Thanks for this new-age BT story with a twist of Cannonshop for the flavor addition to the Great Pirate Rum.
   I will offer help furthering the G.P.R. Story.

How does the GPR fund, crew, spares, and logisticsize a 2 mega-tonne warship as a privateer? Who is paying for the trauma psychological staff for the AI?
   Yeah the AI can help, onboard manufacturing helps but things break when in daily use. Need to get ahead of maintenance and replacement cycle specifically items that require months/years to bootstrap tooling and manufacturing for.

Why do I see Clan SR and Outties best clandestine operatives trainers becoming crew for GPR? How else can they learn from the best and spread the knowledge from the SAS symbiote crammed into GPR’s brain?

Do the Snow Ravens have a lottery going to have some control over the entire clans elementals all begging to go work with the GPR? ( And have her children ).

The AI should be ringing every electron out of any data device she can connect into in order to find any hint of Wobbies and have a list of anyone who worked with them, with footnote of all war crimes.

Oooopsie sorry Republic I know you offered amnesty, but amazingly I was eating a banana when I slipped and war crimes data fell onto the HPG to every planet that has former WobbiWobbies on them......so sorry.
“ My Clan honor is bigger than your Dragon honor, and comes in 18 clan flavors.”

Zakharra

• Corporal
« Reply #236 on: 22 February 2023, 00:37:11 »

As others have noted, mostly fanon, but the SDS took such an enormously huge butchers bill from Kerensky's SLDF it is easy to see how he could have decided that AIs, even shackled and heavily restricted ones, were simply too dangerous to be allowed to exist. If the SDS AIs shackles had been looser, they would have likely extracted a much higher butchers bill. To a man like Kerensky, that would be a nightmare scenario and something to avoid/prevent at all costs.

I do wonder how long it will be before the RoTS sends an deniable black ops/RSI team to either capture/destroy the Erinyes and capture/kill Amanda Roberts, the Great Pirate/Captain of the (Imperium) Sphere!

Smegish

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #237 on: 22 February 2023, 01:09:59 »
Zakharra, they are probably already on the way...

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #238 on: 22 February 2023, 15:14:46 »

Oooopsie sorry Republic I know you offered amnesty, but amazingly I was eating a banana when I slipped and war crimes data fell onto the HPG to every planet that has former WobbiWobbies on them......so sorry.
You almost owe me for a keyboard at work
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Lazarus Sinn

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #239 on: 23 February 2023, 08:56:56 »
tagged
Foolish consistencies are the hobgoblins of little minds.