Author Topic: Why vehicle requires such an unreasonable numbers of crews?  (Read 1453 times)

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Captain
Why vehicle requires such an unreasonable numbers of crews?
« on: 22 September 2019, 09:09:07 »
TO says that a vehicle requires one crewmember per each 15 tons, rounding up.

So, a vehicle requires...

1 crewmember for a vehicle with 15 tons or less.
2 crewmembers for a vehicle with 16 to 30 tons.
3 crewmembers for a vehicle with 31 to 45 tons.
4 crewmembers for a vehicle with 46 to 60 tons.
5 crewmembers for a vehicle with 61 to 75 tons.
6 crewmembers for a vehicle with 76 to 90 tons.
7 crewmembers for a vehicle with 91 to 105 tons.
8 crewmembers for a vehicle with 106 to 120 tons.
9 crewmembers for a vehicle with 121 to 135 tons.
10 crewmembers for a vehicle with 136 to 150 tons.
11 crewmembers for a vehicle with 151 to 165 tons.
12 crewmembers for a vehicle with 166 to 180 tons.
13 crewmembers for a vehicle with 181 to 195 tons.
14 crewmembers for a vehicle with 195 to 210 tons.

But why we need for that much crews?

Modern Main Battle Tanks are usually weights around or even more than 60t, but these tanks are manned by three to four crews, and the only difference between the numbers of crews is apply the auto loader or not, nothing more. And the era of Battletech is 31th, about a millennium after our real world.

Well, if it is a naval vessel or space crafts, it can be justified because a ship needs more crews than the minimum numbers to run. But, it never applies to the typical ground vehicles.

So, why they can't be operated by only three to four members? If the vehicle don't have any turrets it can be manned by only one or two regardless of its weight. If it have the turrets, it may needs for an another gunner per a turret, or also requires a loader per a turret as well. Perhaps, superheavy variants may requires a crew chief/mechanic. Why not?

Perhaps, the reason would be its myriads of guns rather than only one main gun on the MBT of the real worlds? But isn't these guns on a turret are supposed to be coaxial? Then I don't think that a turret needs for more than one gunner.

If you can apply neurohelmet on the commander, I am sure that you require far less numbers of crews as well. Neurohelmet is not battlemech exclusive - Aerospace Fighter also uses it - so I think that it is nothing wrong to use a neurohelmet for a vehicle commander.

Anyway I don't get it. The system requires too much crews despite it actually needs far less numbers of crewmember. At least it is surely a bad idea to requires a crew per some tonnage.
« Last Edit: 22 September 2019, 09:14:49 by PuppyLikesLaserPointers »

Register