Author Topic: 3140 Tall Trees' Irregulars v CCAF  (Read 2291 times)

Nav_Alpha

• Major
3140 Tall Trees' Irregulars v CCAF
« on: 17 January 2014, 02:58:45 »
The discussion about the Gùn over in the fan boards made me want to try this little piece of kit out. So i tried:

x2 Gùn (a primary and an alt-al version)
x4 squads of Fa Shih
x3 Blizzard hover APCs
1 platoon of mechanised infantry (tracked - MG)

against:
Wolfhound WLF-5
Condor (upgrade)
x2 rifle foot squads
x1 SRM foot squad
x1 MG foot squad
x1 platoon of rifle infantry

Sick of the constant hit and fade attacks, daily snipings and mortarings the CCAF occupation force on Tall Trees sends out numerous small patrols to try and make contact and bloody the irregulars.
One such demi-company, making use of two Gùn light mechs is dispatched to the nearby highlands after recon showed the presence of some sort of Jihad era fortification or observation tower.
Moving rapidly down the highway that dissects the thick jungle in the patrol sector the the patrol suddenly run into an ambush - taking heavy machine gun and even SRM fire.
In a matter of seconds, the lead Blizzard is knocked out and then destroyed - leaving its passengers - a squad of Fa Shih battered and in the middle of a killing zone.

As the paired Gùns (each carrying a squad of BA) race forward they detect the rumble of a nearby fusion reactor - and spot a rebel Wolfhound and Condor powering up near fortification, which sits on a nearby hillside.

Desperate to save their pinned down BA the two mechs lurch forward, firing at the dug in infantry who are camouflaged amid the thick jungle.
Meanwhile the remaining Blizzard and the regular infantry platoon try to flank the ambush - staying clear of the jungle they try and find a back way around.
Now faced with hordes of BA and even two mechs the irregular ambushers begin to fall back - one squad breaks contact while the SRM team provides suppressive fire. Amazingly, the missile pierces the Gùn's cockpit, badly injuring the pilot who passes out, bringing the 20 tonne mech down with a crash.
Amazed the MG squad fires off a burst at the approaching BA and also falls back.

Things looked to turn for the CCAF forces as the rebel reinforcements arrived - a double burst from the Gùn's heavy PPC and the Blizzard's SRMs knocked out the approaching Condor's engines and left it stranded in the middle of the highway. The Condor's return fire however butchered the entire Liao mechanised platoon.
The Wolfhound was likewise blitzed by a squad of Fa Shih who threw themselves forward with lasers blazing.

Desperate to break contact the Tall Trees' infantry ambushers continued to slip away from the attacking BA but kept losing numbers to their lasers.
Meanwhile, their friends - the rifle platoon - continued to sit out the fight in the ruins of the old Word of Blake watch tower, well away from the fighting.

Over confident, the remaining  Gùn teamed with the Blizzard and charged the Wolfhound - unfortunatly his gunnery left a bit to be desired and their fire missed. Only for the Wolfhound and Condor to dish out some real hurt: the Blizzard was destroyed and the Gùn lost its right arm (along with its sole weapon).

With the BA still snapping on their heels, most of Irregular leg infantry looked set to be chased down and killed. But the brave MG squad decided to pull a valiant rear guard action.
Dropping down among the foliage, they broke out their heavy machine gun and waved the other two squads on to relative safety.
It was over in seconds - two squads of Fa Shih leapt forward - only to be met by an almost continuous burst of fire that brought down two armoured troopers. The return fire however wiped out the entire squad.

Meanwhile the other Gùn managed to regain his senses and somehow pull his shattered machine to its foot (it was missing the right one). Looking around and seeing both of his APCs smoking he called a hast retreat - only to catch a centre torso full of PPCs from the Wolfhound and explode.
Shaking the stump of his right arm impotently his lance mate also decided it was time to go and sprinted off back down the highway, all the while barking for the BA to get the hell out of there.

A quick realignment of forces saw the irregulars ready to do the whole thing again - while crippled the Condor and Wolfhound held the western edge of the board and effectivly blocked off the highway.
Along the road's southern stretch the remaining infantry squads had redeployed in a good skirmish line with overlapping lines of fire.
And of course, there was still that platoon back in the fort playing "deep defensive".

The four squads of Fa Shih knew they were licked - and had just watched their rides either get killed or run away - and decided discretion was the better part of valor.
Two squads deployed their mines amid the tree line, hopefully cutting of that line of pursuit and then jumped back down the road. The other two advanced via jump jets across the highway so that they were now boxing in the Wolfhound.
The next round saw those two squads blaze away at the mech, while it in return caught one troopers with a PPC burst, turning it into a red smear.
In a rage the Wolfhound lashed out with a giant foot, killing the remaining trooper of the first squad.

Seeing the writing on the wall that third squad deployed mines and followed its brethren into retreat.

All in all - a good game. The CCAF came in cocky and got ambushed early, losing two APCs and a mech. While three BA squads and a Gùn made it home they didn;t really hurt the irregulars who only lost a squad. (every other squad was in the red though and had been bloodied)

The CCAF invaders will know to bring more forces next time they beard the rebels in their lairs!

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Nightgaun7

• Warrant Officer
  • The ends justify the means.
    • Built for War - A BattleTech TRO by fans like you!
Re: 3140 Tall Trees' Irregulars v CCAF
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2014, 15:01:20 »
I'd be interested to see the map you used for this scenario

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2014, 16:15:23 »
It was one of the generic MM Maps - from memory it was heavily wooded with a single lane of highway zig-zagging through it.
A couple hexes back from a bend in the road there was a small gaggle of buildings, including a two level hardened building
« Last Edit: 22 May 2014, 16:18:35 by Nav_Alpha »

Nightgaun7

• Warrant Officer
  • The ends justify the means.
    • Built for War - A BattleTech TRO by fans like you!
« Reply #3 on: 01 June 2014, 22:46:33 »
I based a match on this when my players wanted a game before I had all the prep done for the first scenario I'd been planning. Used a hastily thrown-together custom map in MegaMek. Players seemed to have fun, thanks for the idea.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 01 June 2014, 23:00:09 »
I based a match on this when my players wanted a game before I had all the prep done for the first scenario I'd been planning. Used a hastily thrown-together custom map in MegaMek. Players seemed to have fun, thanks for the idea.

Happy to help!