Author Topic: Rate That Mech: Cronus CNS-3M  (Read 4302 times)

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
Rate That Mech: Cronus CNS-3M
« on: 28 May 2018, 04:55:27 »
I have not really used this one myself, so, I am leaving it to you folks. Rate that mech!

klarg1

• Captain
Re: Rate That Mech: Cronus CNS-3M
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2018, 07:00:01 »
Is "plug ugly" a valid rating?

I mean, it's statistics seem pretty OK for a generic 55 ton trooper, and I know it's subjective, but wow.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2018, 07:15:03 »
Agreed with klarg1 on the ugly thing, but the introductory tech 3M version is a solid line trooper...in fact, it's the dream of many a player of the classic 55's...

The advanced tech 5M version's role has been changed to more of a skirmisher, but is still effective, if a lot more expensive...

The TD9 version looks to be a close assault nightmare...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2018, 07:21:23 »
The 3M looks like a WVR-6M that trades two SRM tubes for another Medium Laser...  I think I'd rather have the WVR...

Siden Pryde

• Warrant Officer
  • Papermaster
« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2018, 08:01:51 »
As others have already stated, the CNS-3M is a good mech with a mug only a mother could love.  Works well as a replacement for Wolverines and Shadow Hawks, or partnered with any of the classic 55-tonners.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #5 on: 28 May 2018, 08:19:52 »
First order of business, if these 'rate that mech' things are going to be a regular thing, please relocate to the Fan Articles section of the forums. That's what it's for.

The Cronus is one of those designs that is just fantastic to use in games. And that's a problem, in a way- it adds such a fantastic mid-weight beast to the 3025 days that despite being super-rare in those days, people like to use them. It's like the best parts of a Griffin and Wolverine, with a battleship's fire control director on top of its head for some reason.They're beasts, they're hard to beat, there's basically no better option in that era, and it's why they should be avoided at all costs in a campaign game unless there's a really good reason why you or your enemy would have such a rare bird.

The upgrade? Ohhhhh yeah. It didn't get any less mean with age, at least. That's a nasty customer. Still rare, but not as much anyway- in the Jihad era, it's not just worth having one in your army if you can find a way, it's worth going out of your way in-general to get one if you can. One of the games' finest Mechs of its class- and surprisingly, not a bad miniature either (thought he 'standing still' pose is disappointing, the detail is pretty solid)
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #6 on: 28 May 2018, 13:14:49 »
The Cronus is literally what you end up with when you have a pile of Griffin, Shadow Hawk and Wolverine parts in a pile, plus some bits and bobs left over from when that tank got blowed up. The manufacturer data even lists the Shadow Hawk as the donor for its skeleton, making the CNS-3M the rare example of a canon FrankenMech. I would probably consider giving it quirks accordingly (though that also means you can substitute literally any 55-ton 'Mech mini and say your Cronus looks more like that).
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #7 on: 28 May 2018, 13:46:07 »
That mech that looks like a Jack Kirby villain?

Outside of looks, it's a solid mech. Maybe if it look a little closer to the Ostsol and Ostroc, it would get more respect. 
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 28 May 2018, 13:57:50 »
Given that the Gladiator is also an introtech mech and simply disappeared. Would you team the Cronus with the Gladiator and if so how?

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 28 May 2018, 14:10:10 »
How? The Gladiator went extinct centuries before the Cronus was first built.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #10 on: 28 May 2018, 14:16:13 »
Now hold on, the Gladiator 4R was around between sometime during the clan invasion to the end Jihad, available to mercs. The Cronus -3M is also merc-accessible starting in the Clan Invasion so it's certainly possible that a under-upgraded merc unit could put them together in a lance around 3060

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 28 May 2018, 14:24:26 »
True, but that isn't a lot of overlap, especially considering the Cronus 5M debuted in 3060, and I got the impression they'd stopped FrankenMeching the 3M at that point.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #12 on: 28 May 2018, 14:32:26 »
there are apparently enough to show up on the MUL (but probably very few). And yes, it would be for a very short time. Some Chaos March-contracted unit wiped out when the Wobbies took control of the Blake Protectorate or somesuch

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 28 May 2018, 14:35:15 »
Reading through the TRO:3075 entry, Merryweather went under during Succession Wars, but they did complete 3R and started some production of the 4R, so it is possible that an antique 2-3-or 4R is still out there.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 28 May 2018, 14:51:17 »
Yeah, the Cronus 3M is like the Wolfhound’s mutant big brother.  Or, as was mentioned earlier l, what happens when you go into mech production by cobbling together bits and pieces from the local junkyard, scavenging battlefields, etc.  That said, for a FrankenMech it isn’t bad.  Maybe even uglier than the Cataphract, but not bad.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #15 on: 28 May 2018, 15:00:36 »
Now hold on, the Gladiator 4R was around between sometime during the clan invasion to the end Jihad, available to mercs. The Cronus -3M is also merc-accessible starting in the Clan Invasion so it's certainly possible that a under-upgraded merc unit could put them together in a lance around 3060

Now, if only the Lyran Commonwealth would start making the Alfar again...all the good 55 tonners could be merged in a single unit...

;)

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #16 on: 28 May 2018, 15:02:26 »
The Cronus is one of those designs that is just fantastic to use in games. And that's a problem, in a way- it adds such a fantastic mid-weight beast to the 3025 days that despite being super-rare in those days, people like to use them.
the -3M Cronus was first introduced in 3031. so it is a post succession wars design. and even then it was a FWL design pretty exclusively.

and given the Cronus's stats, it appears to have drawn heavily from the long popular WVR-6M Wolverine that the FWL already had been using for centuries.
« Last Edit: 28 May 2018, 15:04:57 by glitterboy2098 »

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 28 May 2018, 15:20:30 »
Now, if only the Lyran Commonwealth would start making the Alfar again...all the good 55 tonners could be merged in a single unit...

;)

Ruger

Hope you do not mind, but I am stealing this idea.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #18 on: 28 May 2018, 18:28:15 »
Given that it originally was built from a ShadowHawk chassis,  I'd have loved it if the SRM-4 was an LRM-5 instead.

Overall all its quite a solid mech if existing in only very small #s for a very short time of 28 years.

I'm not sure about it being mostly FWL mech however, it was fluffed as being sold to Mercs & Militias.

I'd think the FWL Military would have much more capable builders & not be buying from a hand crafted 1 at a time operation like Gilmour.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #19 on: 28 May 2018, 18:52:21 »
I think the FWL was more than happy with the WVR-6M... I know I am... :)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #20 on: 28 May 2018, 19:41:05 »
I'm not sure about it being mostly FWL mech however, it was fluffed as being sold to Mercs & Militias.

Late succession wars was FWL only. Starting in the Clan Invasion it was open to mercs as well.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #21 on: 10 June 2018, 09:20:34 »
Late succession wars was FWL only. Starting in the Clan Invasion it was open to mercs as well.

Yeah, I know, I'm saying that that doesn't really match the fluff from the TRO where it was Mercs/Militias from the beginning.

Militias can = FWL, but I'd still like the MUL to list it as Mercs in the LSW period to match the fluff.

Though I suppose it might be an issue of "volume" where 10-20 out in merc hands across the entire IS isn't enough to rate it for the MUL.

Still, I think they have put things in there with only a single mention in fluff before.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #22 on: 22 June 2018, 10:06:13 »
First of all, i like the design.  The original Succession Wars era Tech variant is cheap to maintain and its solid trooper.  5M is squishy with that XL engine, but it's ok. CNS-TD9 is good close up machine, nice spotter but it might well be forgotten since you have have Improved C3i lancemates to take advantage of it's abilities. Also it's likely extinct after it's brief existence during the Jihad since it's C3 tech is dropped like hot potatoes because's it WoBish.  It would been nice to see a Dark Age variant before the age ends.

As for it looks. Does ANYONE notice this is actually smaller Thunderbolt? I don't think its looks are bad. Their just not something of beauty at first.

"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #23 on: 22 June 2018, 10:29:31 »
As for it looks. Does ANYONE notice this is actually smaller Thunderbolt?

I don't notice that because it's not.  There are some vague similarities in the profile but the overall design - including the general design of the limbs, the arrangement of the torso details, etc. - are all different to me.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #24 on: 22 June 2018, 11:46:19 »
I don't notice that because it's not.  There are some vague similarities in the profile but the overall design - including the general design of the limbs, the arrangement of the torso details, etc. - are all different to me.

I'll go the other way and agree to an extent. They certainly aren't closely related, this isn't a Mad Cat Mk.II situation at all, but they do have similarities in their layout in terms of art at least. In use, of course, they're very, VERY different.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Crimson Dawn

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #25 on: 22 June 2018, 21:38:23 »
I'll go the other way and agree to an extent. They certainly aren't closely related, this isn't a Mad Cat Mk.II situation at all, but they do have similarities in their layout in terms of art at least. In use, of course, they're very, VERY different.

I can see something here and there but I would say the Thor has more in common with a Thunderbolt than this Cronus to me.  Also even seeing these similarities I would say I like the look of the thunderbolt more I think the Cronus looks a bit off maybe it is the big guns sticking out everywhere I do not know something just is not clicking with me.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #26 on: 23 June 2018, 18:44:43 »
Cronus 3M has a Large Laser which is backed up by three Medium Lasers and a SRM-4 launcher
Cronus 5M has ER PPC, 2 ER Medium Lasers,  ER Small Laser and a Streak SRM-4 Launcher

Thunderbolt 5S has Large Laser, LRM-15 Launcher, 3 Medium Lasers, SRM-2 and pair of Machine Guns
Thunderbolt 5Sb has ER PPC, LRM-15 + Art, 3 Medium Lasers, Streak SRM 2 and pair Small Lasers.

This is just sample comparison.

Aside from the LRM launcher, slight bigger SRM Launcher, 3M resembles Thunderbolt 5S in weapons load out.
While the 5M resembles the Star League Royal variant, 5Sb, again minus the LRM launcher, one less Smaller Laser (be it order tech one)

My point is, they have also a similar weapons load out as well.   

Anyways, Cronus trough cookie for it's time.  Frankly i enjoy them.

Thunderbolt has similar variants armed accordingly .
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #27 on: 24 June 2018, 02:24:48 »
Quick thoughts, lovely Mech, rancid art from the dark days when gun barrels had to be at least big enough to fit an 18-wheeler in.  Standing on its rear.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Nastyogre

• Warrant Officer
  • Sons of the Suns, Defend your homes!
« Reply #28 on: 25 June 2018, 14:09:39 »
Quick thoughts, lovely Mech, rancid art from the dark days when gun barrels had to be at least big enough to fit an 18-wheeler in.  Standing on its rear.
Bingo. Most of that art should be redone and the miniatures re-sculpted.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #29 on: 25 June 2018, 15:43:07 »
I stumbled across one and used as the spotter for my C3 lance. 6/9/6 lets it get in close and let the big boys throw some firepower down range and it can crit-seek a little with that streak not needing to worry about wasting ammo. If something is pestering the big guns, the PPC can reach back and tickle them with the same C3 network.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Register