Author Topic: MOTW: Quasimodo- What the Hunch?  (Read 9960 times)

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
Re: MOTW: Quasimodo- What the Hunch?
« Reply #60 on: 04 April 2020, 14:18:39 »
That will always be the appeal of the AC/20. I have done more damage with a Swayback myself.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #61 on: 04 April 2020, 14:38:10 »
Well yeah.  Four medium lasers equals the same damage output as an AC/20.  They just don't have quite the same psychological impact.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #62 on: 04 April 2020, 14:43:59 »
AC/20s do have the advantage of concentrating the damage to a single location, regardless of psychological impact. Getting a location destroyed affects a game a lot more than just losing armor all over.
Of course, Swaybacks tend to carry way more lasers than just four, so they have higher damage output overall, which probably ends up being more important.

Speaking of Hunchbacks, does any advanced Hunchback variant compete with the Quasimodo is it an upgrade over any and all?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #63 on: 04 April 2020, 14:49:46 »
The 6S might.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #64 on: 04 April 2020, 14:54:20 »
Barring lucky location hits, the Quasimodo outclasses any Hunchback that exists.  Up close it's swinging three hyper-accurate large lasers and more than double a Hunchback's physical damage on top of being faster than most and more maneuverable than all of them.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #65 on: 04 April 2020, 15:15:35 »
The 6S might.

I'll second this. The -6S remains scary in its own right.

The -6N also still holds a place in my heart, since the deep bins let me load a good 3 tons of Precision ammo for the AC/20 and the BV is dirt cheap for what I can usually accomplish with it. Still not Quasimodo-levels of good, but at 445 BV less, they rarely compete with each other. Either I can afford one, or the other.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #66 on: 04 April 2020, 18:02:01 »
Barring lucky location hits, the Quasimodo outclasses any Hunchback that exists.  Up close it's swinging three hyper-accurate large lasers and more than double a Hunchback's physical damage on top of being faster than most and more maneuverable than all of them.

Absolutely this . . . I would take the Quasimodo over any HBK- even the modern ones mounting GR or RACs.  Then again, that is the point of a tech upgrade.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #67 on: 04 April 2020, 19:49:31 »
Picking a 'Modo can come with a significant hidden cost, however - it really wants to be one of the last mechs to move, and the last few initiative slots can be precious.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #68 on: 04 April 2020, 19:54:05 »
Grab some filler infantry to use as initiative sinks :P

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #69 on: 04 April 2020, 22:57:05 »
Picking a 'Modo can come with a significant hidden cost, however - it really wants to be one of the last mechs to move, and the last few initiative slots can be precious.

Fun thing with the Mofo is that even if you can't get into brawling range for a turn, the VSPLs still make it a 'Mech to take seriously. Just try to get within two hexes of anything, ideally something a lil' bit more fragile, and let the -3 to-hit (-2 if your TSM is on) smack something around.

I vastly prefer that over something like the Ti Ts'ang, which I find way overspecialized in its TSM brawler role.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #70 on: 13 April 2020, 09:41:30 »
Why would you want to do that?

Half the point in having the er-med is so you can fine-tune your heat. With heavy mediums you'd have five 7 pointers and a two. It would also completely overwhelm the heat budget in the only bracket h. med are worth anything.

cERML? Gimme a pair. This wouldn't be a spot for the heavy to shine.

I would do that because I think it would be fun. Why would you do it otherwise?
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #71 on: 13 April 2020, 10:03:16 »
Why would you want to do that?

Half the point in having the er-med is so you can fine-tune your heat. With heavy mediums you'd have five 7 pointers and a two. It would also completely overwhelm the heat budget in the only bracket h. med are worth anything.

cERML? Gimme a pair. This wouldn't be a spot for the heavy to shine.
Dropping in cERML?  Like this machine needs to be even more beastly? :-)
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #72 on: 13 April 2020, 10:48:31 »

I would honestly say that is probably what the Solaris VII machine was using to fight the Hellstar . . . granted its only 4 more points of damage over all, but its 7 point hits so its quicker with the MVSPL to open the armor.  But the key point is it gets 3 more hexes of range and bumps the brackets into being larger.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #73 on: 13 April 2020, 11:38:40 »

Not the cERML; Improved Heavy Mediums.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #74 on: 13 April 2020, 11:42:00 »
Improved Heavy are a bad idea on melee mechs- no way to safe them! . . . but you two are talking past each other to different posts.
Colt Ward

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #75 on: 13 April 2020, 11:47:40 »
I would honestly say that is probably what the Solaris VII machine was using to fight the Hellstar . . . granted its only 4 more points of damage over all, but its 7 point hits so its quicker with the MVSPL to open the armor.  But the key point is it gets 3 more hexes of range and bumps the brackets into being larger.

I'm pretty sure that the Mech with exactly one variant didn't swap in a secret mixed tech version for its Deployment section in the book it was introduced in.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #76 on: 13 April 2020, 11:50:56 »
I did not say the TRO entry hinted or offered . . . but Solaris VII is the land of customization, and if you wanted to make a splash for the new mech then stacking the odds for such a high profile win never hurts.
Colt Ward