Author Topic: Arrow IV, not just for artillery?  (Read 1353 times)

Charistoph

• Major
Arrow IV, not just for artillery?
« on: 07 September 2018, 23:56:53 »
Would it be a crazy idea if someone reconfigured the Arrow IV launcher to fire from an aerospace fighter and configure an ammo variant for anti-shipping instead of anti-terrain?
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Vition2

• Lieutenant
Re: Arrow IV, not just for artillery?
« Reply #1 on: 08 September 2018, 00:47:44 »
If you are looking for the effectiveness of the official anti-ship "bombs", then I would say no.  Reasoning being that each bomb is 10 times the mass of the standard Arrow IV (2 tons per bomb compared to 5 missiles per ton, reference TO, pg 414).  This difference makes it very difficult for me to see a launcher that would be able to properly handle the "bomb".

That doesn't mean that Arrow IVs aren't effective against warships, 2 points of capital-scale damage isn't anything to sneer at when it's coming from something 1000 times smaller than the warship it's firing on.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #2 on: 08 September 2018, 03:19:15 »
can't ASF's have Arrow AAM's under their wings?
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #3 on: 08 September 2018, 04:47:17 »
If you are looking for the effectiveness of the official anti-ship "bombs", then I would say no.  Reasoning being that each bomb is 10 times the mass of the standard Arrow IV (2 tons per bomb compared to 5 missiles per ton, reference TO, pg 414).  This difference makes it very difficult for me to see a launcher that would be able to properly handle the "bomb".

That doesn't mean that Arrow IVs aren't effective against warships, 2 points of capital-scale damage isn't anything to sneer at when it's coming from something 1000 times smaller than the warship it's firing on.
The best use of onboard arrow launchers might be against fighters with reflective armor.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 08 September 2018, 08:50:16 »
The best use of onboard arrow launchers might be against fighters with reflective armor.

I know homing Arrow IVs don't deal AE damage.  Not sure is Air-to-Air Arrow IVs also lose the AE type.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #5 on: 08 September 2018, 09:19:36 »
I know homing Arrow IVs don't deal AE damage.  Not sure is Air-to-Air Arrow IVs also lose the AE type.
Regular arrows (Cluster or non-homing) to have AE and F, just use those.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Register