Author Topic: Emulating other aspects of the BTu in some game format  (Read 776 times)

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
Emulating other aspects of the BTu in some game format
« on: 09 September 2017, 12:37:43 »
So, I was thinking about planetary conquest one night, and I recalled the interesting game called Dragon Dice.  One of the things I enjoyed about Dragon Dice were two things: 1) Each die represented a unit. When you had an army, you rolled all the dice, and you used the different results for different effects. One of which was... 2) Terrain Dice. They had a D20 that had different effect icons and a value which indicated range from target.  Movement icons allowed you to change the facing on the die if they outnumbered your opponent's.

Imagine having a pool of dice, each one representing a lance or company and objective dice that represented key places near a capital or on a world.

I know that I've wanted to see various aspects of BT tackled in a game format of some sort, just like the above. Catan for world- or region-building. A Cities & Knights add-on to have the occasional pirate raid.

But, I know there are others. What games have you looked at and thought 'Oooh! I could probably port that into BT for some fun way to cover X'?
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Hythos

• The Embiggened Man
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
Re: Emulating other aspects of the BTu in some game format
« Reply #1 on: 20 September 2017, 23:57:49 »
Exactly! A Tech-repairs and manufacturing "mini-game" is needed :)
Agent 722
Salt Lake City / Utah
Have 'Mech, will travel.

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
Re: Emulating other aspects of the BTu in some game format
« Reply #2 on: 21 September 2017, 14:13:25 »
I always felt there should be some rules halfway between the BT battlefield and the old Succession Wars game, where you fight over a planet or star cluster in some sort of economic + military campaign game.  My impression is that some developer like Paradox or possibly Slitherine would be capable of handling the complexities; a primarily FPS/RTS oriented or "strategy-lite" company wouldn't.

Register