Author Topic: Neoprene Maps  (Read 2098 times)

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
Neoprene Maps
« on: 16 August 2019, 09:05:24 »
I haven't had mine very long, so I'm curious how folks are storing these in order to flatten them out and avoid the curled ends on one side.
Are you reversing them and putting them in the box?  Just laying them out?  Something else?

CDT Special Agent #343

Insaniac99

• Warrant Officer
Re: Neoprene Maps
« Reply #1 on: 16 August 2019, 10:19:18 »
I haven't had mine very long, so I'm curious how folks are storing these in order to flatten them out and avoid the curled ends on one side.
Are you reversing them and putting them in the box?  Just laying them out?  Something else?

I reverse them, or store them with the side I use most on the outside.  I don't have a big problem with curling, I just counter roll right before laying them down.

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 16 August 2019, 10:23:52 »
Stored horizontal, not vertical.  You may want to investigate ironing them VERY carefully.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 16 August 2019, 11:46:10 »
I haven't really done anything with mine. I keep them in their boxes at the moment, and just deal with the curling if I want to use that side of the map. A metal mini will hold the corners down, so if I've got a unit actually standing on the part that wants to curl, the mini flattens it out. If I don't have a mini standing there, then it really doesn't matter much if the corners curl up. The curl is minor enough that it isn't like the whole map tries to roll its self back up like a poster would.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #4 on: 16 August 2019, 11:52:57 »
yeah, the curling minor enough where a decent-sized washer would hold it down

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
« Reply #5 on: 17 August 2019, 11:47:13 »
Okay, pulled one of mine back out and gave it a look.  One end is barely curled, the other much more so; to the point that it would take three minis on the edge to weigh it down flat.
I reversed it in the box, and we'll see how that works out. 

The thought has occurred to me of getting some clip-on pants hangers and modifying them slightly to store the maps vertically, and letting gravity straighten them over time.

CDT Special Agent #343

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 17 August 2019, 14:05:05 »
Okay, pulled one of mine back out and gave it a look.  One end is barely curled, the other much more so; to the point that it would take three minis on the edge to weigh it down flat.
I reversed it in the box, and we'll see how that works out. 

The thought has occurred to me of getting some clip-on pants hangers and modifying them slightly to store the maps vertically, and letting gravity straighten them over time.

That's organization your best, cheapest route.
Catalyst Demo Agent #221, Huntington, WV

It's times like this I ask myself "What would Jabba the Hutt do?"

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #7 on: 17 August 2019, 21:56:04 »
You may want to investigate ironing them VERY carefully.
:o

I'm going to Guess that you are JOKING!   ???

I can't believe anyone would Seriously suggest ironing rubber.   :o
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 18 August 2019, 00:25:21 »
Not joking at all.  Look it up, although be careful.  Some reasons for neoprene maintenance can be, erm... NSFW.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Register