Author Topic: Renegades  (Read 33070 times)

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
Re: Renegades
« Reply #210 on: 19 March 2023, 02:47:18 »
Guest chapter by KayEmm

From the personal journal of Kaitlyn Farris

We made planetfall on Esteros. As I expected, it’s even more of a mess than our employer had lead us to believe.

When the Falcons conquered the world back in 3140, they left most of the local power structures intact, but made sure that there would be people for them to answer to. When they pulled out, they left behind a token solahma garrison and police force. While the former apparently was relocated offworld and the latter was dealt with, the planetary authorities didn’t go back to business as usual.

Instead, a lot of long-simmering issues exploded to the forefront. The Kayserling family had been the planet’s ruling family for centuries, which had created a long-standing rivalry with the Sigonella family, probably the second most powerful nobles on the world. As soon as they’d dealt with the last Falcons, Baroness Giana Sigonella made a play for power, accusing Graf Leonhard Kayserling of being collaborators. This split the planetary assembly, leading to a civil war between the two claimants.

While they are the legitimate rulers, Kayserling’s forces are lacking in their ability to project that authority. So far, the most that they can claim control of is part of one continent. As such, we were hired by them to put an end to things and restore order. While on paper both sides had managed to build up their own not inconsiderable armies, they consisted mostly of light vehicles and regular infantry.

Seems simple, right?

Two weeks ago, another merc unit made planetfall, having been hired by Sigonella for more or less the same reason. That amounted to a significant sudden shift in the balance of power, but it’s also something I had expected would happen. I already have Leon, Iulia and Anton working to find out as much as they can about our enemies.

Unfortunately, we can’t really rely on our employers for any backup. The newly-raised First Kayserling Armoured Guards are little more than reservists lead by noble aspirants who are more concerned with social standing than combat effectiveness. They are armed with whatever militia salvage the Falcons didn’t carry off, and have no real air power or mobility. The only real upside is that Sigonella’s forces aren’t any better off, mercenaries aside.

Even when we do deal with the mercs, that won’t fix everything. Despite the attempts to claim otherwise, the Falcons’ departure created a power vacuum. The nobles are fighting over the Alkahera continent, the other inhabited ones have collapsed into factional fighting and warlords. We have reports of pirates, armed militias and even rumors of Falcon holdouts to deal with.

But right now I need to deal with our first challenge. Kayserling is holding a reception in our honor.

Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #211 on: 19 March 2023, 02:49:06 »
Guest chapter by KayEmm

Acting the Part

Kaitlyn Farris looked at herself in the dress mirror and sighed. She was wearing a full military dress uniform, one that was mostly mid-grey with some flat red accents; a more muted version of the colors of her unit, who’s badge was on its shoulder. Functional, if a touch generic, it served the purpose of making her seem both professional and presentable. The outfit had been designed for her, and yet she still didn’t feel right in it. Even adding a small scarf, a signature part of her wardrobe, to it didn’t make her feel any better.

She glanced sideways at her friend and second, Iulia Dragan, and gave her a shrug. Unlike Kaitlyn, Iulia had made no effort to dress herself up, instead still wearing he usual rugged leathers. “What is wrong now?” Iulia asked.

“Do I look okay?”

“You look fine,” Iulia offered a resigned reply, knowing full well that she was going to keep repeating this same point. “Stop worrying about it.”

Kait looked at herself again. Her usually scruffy hair had been neatened up and pulled back into a functional, neat bun. A touch of makeup had helped to soften her features and conceal the small scars she’d accumulated over the years. “I don’t know,” she shrugged. “Maybe it’s my ‘middle of nowhere in the Periphery’ upbringing, but I really can’t handle being around nobles.”

“You met my mother,” Iulia pointed out.

“And that was a situation that was super uncomfortable on so many levels,” Kait simply replied.

“Well yes.”

“Also she is insane.”

“Fine, that too,” Iulia admitted.

A knock on the door interrupted the pair of them. “Come in,” Kait managed with a hint of resignation. A moment later, Leon stepped into the room. Like her, he was dressed in a uniform that they had bought especially for the occasion. He’d done a lot to clean himself up, being freshly shaven and his normally scruffy hair having been trimmed and neatened up.

“You look good there, Commander,” Leon admitted. He’d accessorised with a glove over his right hand and lacked the scarf, but otherwise, his uniform matched hers.

Kait blushed just a moment, which was accompanied by a sigh from Iulia. “And you too,” she replied. “Thank you for volunteering to be my plus one here.”

“Least I could do,” he admitted. “I have some experience with Lyran nobles, so I thought it would be a good idea to have your back here.”

“Better you then me,” Iulia added.

“Shush you,” Kait joked back to her, before turning to Leon. “I guess serving in the LCAF does that for you.”

“Nothing like being talked down to by your betters and being reminded that you’re too poor to be promoted,” Leon commented, his tone more joking than anything else. “Trust me, as much as they’ll be grateful that you’re here to protect them, they’ll all be muttering about how poor and dirty you are behind your back.”

“Charming people,” Kait sighed.

“So here’s my suggestions,” Leon offered. “Number one, mention how long-lived your family unit is and how there’s been a Farris in it for generations. They’ll respect tradition, and it gives you and air of...” he waved his good hand a moment in thought. “breeding, I guess. Like you’re a noble.”

“Should I not mention that it used to be the Blackstones in charge?”

“Gods no,” Leon shook his head. “None of them will know a thing about your family or unit history anyway, so you can embellish the truth a little to help yourself out there.”

“And what if one of them is a hobby genealogist or military historian?”

“Fake it,” Leon simply replied.

“Thanks,” she nodded. “Next?”

“If any of them offer to introduce you to their son, feign politeness but don’t get too engaged,” he offered. “Odds are they’re trying to buy your loyalty, marry off an otherwise worthless kid or both.”

“Understood,” she nodded. “Last thing I want to do is get tied down to one world or family, especially given how volatile the situation is.”

“You’re dealing with nations that didn’t exist a year ago,” Leon agreed. “And don’t bet on any of them being around a year from now.”

“What next?’

“Be wary around any military commanders, be they militia officers or noble house guards or whatever else,” he suggested. “Many of them are going to have completely jumped-up opinions of themselves and their forces, and very little actual combat experience.”

“So be ready for a lot of ‘advice’ from them,” she considered.

“Exactly,” he confirmed. “Each and every one of them is a self-professed expert who got to their position through wealth or family connections, not actual qualifications.”

“The same applies to me,” she noted. “I’m the commander of the unit because of who my parents were.”

“Yes, but you still work for the position,” Leon countered. “And you listen to your officers and your men. That makes a world of difference.” That bought out a chuckle. “After all, you’re taking my advice here.”

“Well, when you put it like that,” Kait admitted. “Anything else?”

“I think we’re mostly good,” Leon finished. “Just remember to smile and nod at all times and you’ll be fine.”

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #212 on: 26 March 2023, 02:38:28 »
Noble Goals

[recording begins]

“The contract with our employer had made it clear that we were to liberate Pangkalan and restore the Duke’s rule over the world, while ensuring that they would have his loyalty. The actual situation we found, however, was a lot more complicated.”

“The world had been captured by the Jade Falcons a decade ago. By all reports, they had faced relatively little resistance to their assault, facing only militia units. The intelligence from our employer put the Seventh Mixed Cluster on the world, but noted that information was out of date and that there was every possibility that the Falcons were no longer present.”

“The hope was that we would simply land on the planet, perhaps deal with some remnant paramilitary units and then plant a flag. While not the most glamourous of assignments, fulfilling such a contract would, of course, be richly rewarding.”
“We were correct in that the Jade Falcons had largely departed the world, leaving behind their paramilitary forces. Armed with only light armour and conventional infantry, they were no match whatsoever for my men and their capabilities. They made an ultimately futile last stand in the capitol city before we dispatched them. In retrospect, that proved to be the easy part of the assignment.”

“Note to self, try to make this sound a little more dramatic. Although I’m not sure how much I can do with our dispatching a bunch of poorly-armed rabble.”

“However, that did not fulfil our obligations, which proved to be far harder than anticipated. After we had dispatched the rabble, we discovered that the Duke had died unexpectedly only a week after the Falcons had departed. His two sons, Santoso and Siem Latupapura had both claimed his title, and as yet neither had been ratified by the planetary council. It turned out that the leadership of the Clan administration had simply sidestepped the pair of them in order to keep the planet running, an outcome that was obviously no longer possible.”

“This now made our unit, and myself in particular, the kingmaker.”

“Santoso immediately made his case to me. He hosted a celebration in my honour at the family estate, hailing myself and my men as the heroes of Pangkalan, delivering them from their oppressors. His treatment of us was nothing short of magnanimous, ensuring that we had whatever that we needed within the limits of what he could provide. He knew how to act the part of a true gentleman, one befitting of his station.”

“On the other side, Siem tried to impress on us his plans for the world. He sought to rebuild its economy, which had been stagnant before the occupation and the pillaging that the Falcons had subjected it to. Likewise, he sought to reform the leadership to prevent the centralisation of power that had caused this deadlock and that the Falcons had exploited.”

“Hm, I probably should re-word that.”

“Anyway, the issue was resolved for us three weeks after our victory. A rather brutish group of mercenaries, calling themselves Stark’s Sharks, dropped onto the world. They claimed that they were here for the same reason as us; to liberate the world. Unfortunately, they now saw us as an obstacle to that goal, and chose to attack us.”

“Fortunately, for all their ferocity, they were also very much lacking in skill and refinement. We dealt them a savage blow, which was enough to bring their leader to an offer to parlay. As a part of his ransom, he revealed that he had been hired by Siem Latupapura through some rather unsavoury contacts. The simple lag time with no working HPGs meant that by the time they arrived, we were already in place.”

“I took this evidence to the council, who quickly acted on it. Santoso was ratified as the Duke of Pangkalan and assumed his position as its leader. On the other side, Siem was arrested on crimes of treason, although his position ensured that he was exiled rather than being incarcerated or executed like a commoner. As soon as the matter was resolved, with approached Santoso with our message from our employer; given all that had happened, he gladly accepted it and pledged his fealty.”

“And with that, we had fulfilled our contract. I had no doubt that Duke Brewer would be satisfied with the outcome.”

-   Luis Caesar, unpublished notes

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #213 on: 26 March 2023, 02:40:26 »
Guest Chapter by Zogster

Opportunity Knocks

Galatea City
Galatea
Galatean League
12 November 3151

As he was lead into the cavernous lobby of the former Bannson Universal office on Galatea, Jakub Day couldn’t help but gawk a little. He had travelled throughout the Inner Sphere with the Star of Sumer and seen all manner of sights, but this one was just a little special.

The fact that it had been abandoned for years might have something to do with it.

Even in its dilapidated state, he could see its former glory. It was definitely built to impress, a use of space that was precious on a planet like Galatea. However, its features were long shut down, with holographic emitters and glittering displays removed long ago. Even the walls showed large discoloured spots, shaped suspiciously like the old Bannson Universal symbol.

“Impressive, huh?” Katarina Morrison asked him.

Jakub just nodded his response. Instead, he fell into step behind Katarina and the unit’s commander, Lana Kotovski. The three of them headed past the dilapidated reception desk and down a corridor lined with long-inactive elevators. At the end, a door led into a conference room where someone was waiting for them.

The room stood in contrast to the rest of the building. While it was only minimally furnished, the lights were on and the faint hum of an air conditioner could be heard. But the room was dominated by a sophisticated meeting table with a glowing holographic emitter embedded under the surface. Jakub, however, was drawn to the man awaiting them. He was handsome, smartly dressed and immaculately groomed, but also somehow immediately forgettable. Jakub had a feeling that he wouldn’t be able to pick the man out in a lineup, which was probably intentional.

The man stepped forward, nodded to the group. “Kotovski, Morrison… Day,” he said, with only the slightest pause conveying his surprise at seeing Jakub here. Jakub nodded and extended his hand, which the man shook in turn.

“Jakub, this is Antonin Ryback. He works with us on gathering information,” Lana said. Jakub nodded, understanding that there was a lot more than was being said. He also figured it was best not to press the matter.

“Good to see you again,” Antonin said to Lana.

“And under better circumstances than last time, I hope,” she replied.
“With better news, definitely. But first…” He glanced over to Jakub, before returning his gaze to Lana, eyebrow cocked questioningly.

Instead, Katarina spoke up. “We thought it best that Jakub be more involved in the unit. At all levels.”

Jakub spoke up at that point. “If it is inconvenient sir, I can leave.”

“No, no.” Antonin raised his hand. “It’s a fair point. And I suppose if he’s to be more involved, then he should get a say in what’s happening here.”

“And I assume that has to do with the recent arrivals?” Lana asked as the quartet took their seats.

Antonin nodded. “The newcomers to Galatea are representatives of a group calling the Alyina Mercantile League. Essentially they’re remnants of the Jade Falcon Occupation Zone that was abandoned during the Clan’s push to Terra.”
Antonin keyed a few commands on the conference table and it projected a holographic star map of the former Occupation Zone. Now it was left an empty grey, bordered by the orange of the Hells Horses and blue of the Lyran Commonwealth, as well as a pair of small patches representing the emergent Tamar Pact and Vesper Marches.

“What do we know about them?” Katarina asked.

“Not much,” Antonin freely admitted. “As the name suggests, they’re apparently under the control of the former Falcons’ merchant caste.”

“So it’s a… post-Clan society?” Jakub put forward.

“Not quite,” Antonin replied. “We think they still follow a Clan structure, just without a warrior caste in charge.”

“Hardly seems like a Clan structure,” Katarina commented, confusion showing on her face.

“And they need mercenaries,” Lana cut in. “Between the Falcons’ move on Terra and their own structure, I imagine they’re lacking for armed forces.”

“And that’s where you come in,” Antonin said. “They’ve got a lot of contracts going and I want someone in our… group,” he said, briefly eyeing Jakub, “On the ground over there.”

“You have an ulterior motive,” Katarina said. Not asked, Jakub noted. He began to imagine that ulterior motives were commonplace when dealing with Antonin.
For his part, Antonin shrugged. “Simply put, we know nothing about them. Are they throwing of the shackles of Clan occupation, or are they simply seeking to put someone else in charge? We need someone there to answer these questions.”

“And make allies,” Jakub blurted out. The others turned to him, each waiting for him to continue. “Alynia was a Jade Falcon factory world. And if the merchant caste is in charge, they’re surely going to be open to trade. It could be good to make friends there.”

“That too,” Antonin admitted. Katarina turned and nodded to Jakub, pride showing on her face.

“It sounds promising,” Lana admitted. “And if Jakub’s right, it could be a good opportunity to refresh and expand our equipment.” She glanced at Katarina, who gave her a slight nod. “We’ll confer and get back to you, but it’s looking good.”

With that they stood. Antonin shook each of their hands in turn. “Don’t take too long,” he reminded them. “While they are offering a lot of contracts, they will dry up quickly.”

“Rest assured, you’ll know soon enough,” Lana replied. With that, the trio departed.

Back out on the street beyond, Katarina quietly asked Lana, “You’re not going to take it?”

“Oh, I am,” Lana replied. “I just like to see him sweat now and then.” Despite herself, a small smile crept across her face.

“And it’s a great opportunity to learn,” said a voice behind them.

The trio turned as one. Lana started back, her surprise clear. Katarina furrowed her brow and asked “When did you get here?”

Jakub, on the other hand, called out “Deep!” He seized the ComStar adept’s hand, and the two of them conducted an elaborate handshake which ended in them bumping their shoulders against each other.

“Think about it,” Deep Zimmerman said with an eager smile. “You could be on the ground floor to one of the greatest changes in Clan society. The chance to see it happen, or maybe even change the course.” He sighed dramatically. “What I wouldn’t give to come with you. But I’ve got work to do here.”

“Don’t worry, Deep,” Jakub said. “I’ll be sure to tell you all about it.”

They said their goodbyes and the adept departed. Almost immediately, Katarina pulled in close to Jakub and said “You have some explaining to do, young man.”

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #214 on: 26 March 2023, 02:47:00 »
Guest chapter by Zogster

In Limbo

Limbo Badlands
Pandora
Jade Falcon Occupation Zone
25 December 3151

It was a hot day in the middle of nowhere, which suited Wynter DeVires just fine. The reorganised Tamar Jaegers had arrived on Pandora to liberate the former Lyran world from its Jade Falcon rulers. In the wake of the Falcons’ evacuation of their former occupation zone, the newly formed Tamar Pact had moved to drive out the remaining garrisons from a number of nearby worlds, bringing them into the fold. As a major factory world, Pandora was an important step.

They had issued a formal challenge to the planet’s occupiers, which they believed to be a disorganised solahma force. The challenge set the site of their battle out in the middle of nowhere, away from settlements and important infrastructure. This suited Wynter perfectly; the further they were from harming civilians, the better.

Her company of BattleMechs from the Third Tamar Jaegers deployed at the edge of the badlands, where grassy plains gave way to broken ground and rocky passages. On her order they advanced, heading to flush out the Jade Falcon forces and hopefully end things swiftly. They had been set upon immediately. The rocky passes disgorged a swarm of light tanks and hovercraft that came barrelling at her company. A smattering of smaller vehicles held back, peppering them with long-range autocannon fire.

“Form up and spread fire. Break their charge!” Wynter ordered. Her lance clustered by her side, and as one they opened fire on the charging vehicles. She focused on an incoming hovercraft, fouling its lift skirts with her particle cannons. The vehicle ploughed into a rocky outcropping and came to a halt, but kept firing its autocannon at her. She switched her focus to a light tank that was bearing down on her. It was slowed by the broken terrain, making it an easy target. Her autocannon and missiles ripped into the tank’s hull. Even so it pressed on, peppering her 'Mech with its own light autocannons and rapid-fire Gauss weapons.

That’s a Sokar, she thought to herself, recognising the light tank as it continued its charge. The vehicle was designed for softer targets, not the wall of BattleMechs it was coming up against. She strode her Defiance forward to meet it. The tank opened up with its primary weapon, a pair of heavy flamers that licked across her 'Mech’s torso. Wynter smiled to herself as the heat rose in her cockpit. She could feel a surge of power running through the Defiance as its triple-strength myomers kicked into gear. Her 'Mech took a mighty step forward and brought its broad foot down on the Sokar’s front, crushing it utterly and impacting it into the ground.

She paused a moment to take stock of the situation. The Scourge and Götterdämmerung at her flanks were making quick work of the fire-support vehicles, while the four-legged Ursa that completed her lance was in amongst the vehicles, spraying fire left and right. She turned her attention back to the crashed hovercraft and detonated it with a pair of precise particle cannon shots.

“Not the best we’ve fought,” came the Götterdämmerung’s gravelly-voiced pilot.

“They’re desperate,” Wynter replied. She looked over at the array of destroyed vehicles before her. “That makes them dangerous. Be on your guard.”
“Copy that,” came the reply.

To a man, her unit turned back to face the rocky passes ahead of them. “The bulk of their forces should be through there. We press on,” Wynter said. Without waiting for a reply, she accelerated her Defiance forward. Her unit fell in step around her.

A quick report of heightened winds was all the warning she had before the dust storms blew in. They scoured across the dusty badlands, picking up monstrous clouds of dirt and sand. Soon enough they had blown right into the Tamar Jaegers, obscuring the battlefield and fouling sensors and radar alike.

Wynter didn’t like it. She wasn’t fond of surprises, especially on the battlefield, and felt she’d had enough of them for one day. “Keep close, and watch out for ambushes.”

“They’re probably as blind as we are,” the Ursa’s pilot replied.

“Don’t count on it,” came Wynter’s warning.

The minutes dragged on as they picked their way through the broken terrain. Between the unsure footing and the limited visibility, their advance was painfully slow. Wynter remained on edge, trying to pick out any sign of movement from the blowing dust around her, or any sound other than the wind’s incessant howl.
“Contacts!” came the call over the radio mere moments before they were beset with laser fire. Searing bright beams shot out from the darkness, scattering amongst her forces. Few seemed to find their marks, and even fewer inflicted serious damage. Nonetheless, the fire continued to cut through the murk.

They’re firing blind. “Spread out and keep moving. Don’t give them consistent targets.” Wynter watched her board as her troops followed her orders, splitting themselves up to avoid drawing fire. Another spread of laser fire struck out blindly in amongst them. Her lance returned fire as one. Missiles, particle cannons, Gauss and autocannon fire concentrated on the point of origin. They were met with a satisfying series of secondary detonations.

Then the main force came crashing down upon them. A mismatched spread of BattleMechs charged out of the blowing dust, colliding with her forces. They sported a wide variety of designs, both Clan 'Mechs and refitted Inner Sphere models. Already spread out, her men picked their targets and fired.
A pair of deafening reports broke out at her side. Wynter found her 'Mech rocked by a spread of shot from two massive autocannons. The bent form of a Hunchback IIC came at her, firing clusters of shot again and again from its shoulders. She returned fire with her own autocannon and particle cannons, scouring armour off the smaller 'Mech. Seemingly undeterred by her return fire, the Hunchback charged forwards, blazing away relentlessly.

Up close she could make out its shiny, factory fresh finish. It was barely marked, beyond a Jade Falcon symbol emblazoned on its chest. They’re using 'Mechs straight off the assembly line, Wynter thought. How desperate are they? She refocused and fired, her cannons striking low and cutting into the 'Mech’s legs. Shocked by the sudden barrage of fire, the Hunchback tumbled forwards and crashed flat on its face. It would almost be comical if it wasn’t trying to kill me.

Fire from above drew her attention. Within the swirling vortex of dust, she could make out a flight of Skadi attack VTOLs joining the battle. The aircraft struggled to maintain position while firing down on the Jaegers with their powerful autocannons. Checking briefly to see that the Hunchback remained still, Wynter backed her Defiance into cover behind a rocky outcropping. Rather than pursue, the Skadi switched targets, angling towards her lancemate’s Ursa. Occupied by an enemy Crossbow, the Ursa was blindsided by the VTOL’s fire, with explosive shells raking across its forelegs.

“Take out their air support,” Wynter commanded. She stepped around the other side of the outcropping and fired up, her autocannon’s pellets raking across the Skadi’s body. A moment later a volley of missiles from the Götterdämmerung struck it as well. Explosions tore across its body, one ripping a section out of its lift fans. The Skadi spiraled out of control, dropping from the sky. At the last moment it seemed to right itself, surging forwards and plunging into the Götterdämmerung’s chest. A massive explosion lit up the dusty sky, enveloping the stocky BattleMech.

“I’m… fine…” grunted the Götterdämmerung’s pilot. It emerged from the blaze, its chest blackened and pitted but still seemingly intact. Wynter turned her attention to her lancemate’s Ursa. The quad 'Mech was struggling, as an intense laser beam from the Crossbow’s barrel arm struck its damaged leg. The leg buckled, sending the Ursa lurching forwards; still upright but crippled. Even as the Crossbow strode forwards, Wynter did likewise, opening up with all her weapons at once and letting the heat flow over her. Lasers, missiles, autocannon and particle fire all cut into the Crossbow. The Ursa raised its body and fired as well, raking the Clan 'Mech with pulse laser fire. Another brilliant explosion lit up the dust clouds as the Crossbow’s heavy laser detonated from within, tearing its barrel-like arm apart.

Before she could press further, a proximity alarm sounded, warning her of as sudden attack from behind. She swiftly turned, her 'Mech’s myomers surging with power, to find the battered form of the Hunchback IIC bearing down on her from above. It fired its autocannons, scouring armour across her 'Mech’s body and sending up warning lights across the board. Rather than retreat, she stepped into its leap, swinging her 'Mech’s bulky right arm up and catching in in the abdomen with an enhanced punch. It hung for a moment, suspended on the end of her arm before she triggered her PPC at point-blank range. Crackling blue lightning cut through the Hunchback’s sensitive internals and shot out the other side. The 'Mech dropped lifeless to the ground once more.

She turned her attention back to the crippled Ursa. Even as it poured fire on the rapidly disintegrating Crossbow, a Point of battle armour closed in on it. Wynter quickly checked her unit’s positions and ordered the Scourge to back him up. Her lancemate complied, closing on the skirmish and tearing into the battle armour with accurate laser fire. Even with the loss of their fellows, two of the remaining point savaged the Ursa’s ankle. The quad ‘Mech lurched forwards once more, its maimed legs collapsing under its weight and sending it crashing to the ground. Wynter and the Götterdämmerung quickly joined the fray, pouring fire onto the Crossbow. Even as it was torn apart, it advanced on the downed Ursa, but its frame gave way and it collapsed before it could capitalise on the ‘Mech’s state. The Scourge, meanwhile, finished off the battle armour Point as they made a beeline for its own legs.

“Those were Constables,” he said, as they paused a moment to take stock of the battlefield.

Wynter nodded her understanding. The Constable battle armour was used by Clan Watch and paramilitary police forces, not on a battlefield. Unless they were this desperate.

“Status,” she barked out, and got a quick round of replied. All were battered, but still functional save for the Ursa. The relentless enemy had taken their toll. At the same time, the chaotic battlefield and driving dust storm had separated out the Tamar Jaegers, leaving nobody in sight beyond the four of them. And for now, the battlefield was quiet. Reports were coming in from other sectors that the enemy was holding fast. Her unit was to regroup and flank the core of their forces. Wynter acknowledged.

It shouldn’t have been this hard, she thought to herself. “They just would not give in,” she mused, as much to herself as anyone else.

“Why would they?” came the reply from the Götterdämmerung’s pilot. “We pushed them into a corner. Where would they go?”

“Fair,” Wynter replied. “Alright, let’s regroup with-“

Her order was cut off by a stream of hypervelocity metal shreds emerging from the billowing darkness. They tore across her Defiance’s side and arm, shredding the damaged limb and ripping it from the torso. Wynter recoiled and surged back, trying to find cover. At the same time her lance spread out, taking positions of their own to bear down on the origin point of their attacker.

Within moments their target appeared. A lone BattleMaster lurched out of the dust, its factory sheen scarred and marked with innumerable weapon impacts. Its right arm was raised as it swept a hyper-assault Gauss rifle across the battlefield, looking for targets. Wynter sent out a call on open channels, saying “You’re outnumbered. Surrender.” The only response was a hail of metal slugs tearing into her cover.

“He wants to die by the sword,” the Scourge pilot said.

“Let him,” came Wynter’s response.

As one, the unit stepped out of cover. The BattleMaster concentrated on Wynter, opening fire with a barrage of lasers. Armour melted off her ‘Mech’s body, sending up more warnings across her board. The return was devastating. Laser fire from the three standing 'Mechs cut into the BattleMaster, searing armour off it. The Scourge’s Gauss rifle punched a hole in its side, while Wynter and the Götterdämmerung rained particle fire across its left arm and leg. Rocked by impacts, it tried to bring its guns to bear on Wynter once more, only to have the Götterdämmerung interpose itself between them and take the brunt of its withering fire.

Wynter stepped from behind her impromptu cover and opened fire, impacting hard on its right torso. The 'Mech’s side collapsed, leaving the arm to drop unceremoniously off its frame. Still it pressed on, firing its few remaining lasers at Wynter. She took the hits, the armour wearing dangerously thin over her 'Mech’s reactor. But before it could capitalise, the BattleMaster was shaken by another devastating volley of fire. Missiles rained across its left side, before a final Gauss slug shattered its structure. The 'Mech’s remaining arm flew off, sliced from it at the shoulder. The towering assault 'Mech finally shut down, collapsing to its knees.

“Is it over?” the Ursa’s pilot asked.

“For now,” Wynter replied, surveying the carnage. Distant sounds of battle echoed throughout the chaotic field, but they were clear for the moment. Her lance picked their way through the badlands, angling to regroup with the rest of her unit. Shattered BattleMechs lay around them, both the unpainted remnants of the solahma forces and the recently rebranded Tamar Jaegers. She could see more of her command, and they were to a man battered and damaged.

“It was always going to end like this,” she mused, looking at the carnage. “They wouldn’t let it happen any other way.”

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #215 on: 26 March 2023, 02:49:14 »
Guest chapter by KayEmm

Screaming Demons

Kait –

I managed to dig up an old MRBC profile on the Screaming Demons, the unit Sigonella hired. While it is five years old at this point, it still has a lot of useful information about them. While they are in theory a bigger unit than we are, I feel that we’ve got the edge in terms of experience, tactics and leadership. And I’m confident that they won’t be ready for some of the tricks we can pull.

Leon

History

The Screaming Demons first appeared on Galatea in 3136 as a hodgepodge mix of BattleMechs, IndustrialMechs, light tanks and conventional infantry. The group was lead by Captain Milo Russel, who used his experience as a RAF officer to help attract new recruits and sell his unit. The fact that he had been dishonorably discharged was conveniently omitted from his recruitment pitches. Regardless of the truth, he was able to take advantage of the growing instability across the Inner Sphere to help build up his unit.

As the Republic of the Sphere continued to crumble, Russel found no shortage of work. The unit saw considerable action over the next three years in the territories of the former Republic, working for everyone from Successor State armies to Republican holdouts and even several short-lived local warlords and minor powers. The unit found enough success to continue to grow during this period, with Russel showing himself to be a competent, if unspectacular leader.

Russel managed to leverage this experience to land a plum contract as a support unit for the LCAF during Operation HAMMERFALL. While not a part of the initial invasion forces, the Screaming Demons were used in mop-up and counterinsurgency operations on former Republic worlds that the Lyrans or their Wolf allies had conquered. At first, this went well for them, with the unit acquiring valuable salvage while suffering very few losses. Even after the reformation of the Free Worlds League as a response, Russel was confident enough to extend his contract with the Commonwealth.

This decision would come back to haunt him when the Wolves turned on their Lyran allies. The Screaming Demons deserted their posts in the face of the Wolf forces, commandeering a JumpShip and fleeing back towards Commonwealth space. Even this proved to be no safe haven, as the unit was again caught out as the Wolves pushed further into the Commonwealth. Managing to reach Galatea, the unit survived, only to end up with a black mark on their career due to their seeming desertion.

After rebuilding, the unit managed to land what was seen as a safe contract in the center of the Commonwealth, away from the Wolf advance. Instead, they found themselves caught in the Falcon surge across the nation. Outnumbered and facing destruction, the Screaming Demons fled again, this time heading towards the anti-spinward reaches of the state.

While they survived, the unit was charged with desertion and piracy in absentia. And even with the MRBC being nearly powerless to enforce such charges, the unit’s reputation has suffered no less. For the last three years it has been operating out of the Rim Collective, taking advantage of the relative lack of competition in the market to slowly rebuild.

Composition

The Screaming Demons presently stand at a combined-arms battalion in strength. The centrepiece of the unit is Hellfire Company, which is commanded by Major Russel himself, and consists entirely of BattleMechs. Brimstone Company consists of a mixture of light vehicles and VTOLs, and is chiefly tasked with supporting Hellfire. Damnation Company is made up of conventional infantry and are usually relegated to support and security roles; many of its members are DisPossessed MechWarriors looking for a chance to regain their status. Finally, Hellbat Lance consists of a pair of aerospace fighters.

(From what I’ve gathered, they have expanded their numbers since this report. Either that, or they’re good at making themselves seem bigger than they are. Either way, I’d be careful – Leon)

Most of the unit’s strength is made up of older designs, with many dating back to the Jihad or earlier, and it lacks Clan technology. Their infantry forces are particularly poorly equipped, and are lacking in terms of both equipment and effectiveness. Where possible, the unit likes to use flame or heat based weapons, such as flamers, plasma rifles or inferno missiles.

Support

Presently, the Screaming Demons are only just making ends meet with regards to their technical support needs. While adequate in their skills and experience, their technical support teams lack in equipment and do not have deep reserves to draw from. On the other hand, many among their crews are masters of scavenging, jury rigging and acquiring supplies by dubious means, which helps to cover their shortfalls. The current state of the unit’s financials are such that the requests for new equipment are likely to go unanswered for the time being.

(If anything, their financial situation has gotten worse over time. One big loss could be all it takes to knock them out – Leon)

The unit possesses two DropShips. The majority of its assets are handled by the Inferno, a Triumph-class DropShip. While its interior has been rearranged to suit the unit’s needs, this has served to only exacerbate the unloading problems endemic to the class. On the other side, the small BattleMech force is carried onboard the Terror, a Trojan-class DropShip. Both vessels are believed to be in a poor state of repair. The unit does not have access to a JumpShip.

Colours and Insignia

The unit insignia depicts a winged, demonic figure, its mouth open in an angry shout. In theory the unit uses a fiery red, yellow and orange scheme, however many of its 'Mechs and vehicles either sport camouflage patters or patchworks based on whatever is available to them.
« Last Edit: 23 July 2023, 01:05:38 by Deadborder »

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #216 on: 26 March 2023, 02:49:45 »
Guest chapter by KayEmm

From the personal journal of Lewis Guise

I thought the Esteros contract looked too good to be true. Turns out I was right.
Major Russel saw an opportunity and leapt at it, and I don’t blame him at all. All we had to do was intervene in a local civil war and make sure the ‘right’ side won. It seemed simple enough; stomp on a poorly-armed noble guard and call it a day. Our employer, Baroness Giana Sigonella, was willing to give Major Russel the leeway to do whatever he wanted to win the day, although she was pretty specific in ensuring that we limited collateral damage and didn’t engage in any sort of ‘extracurricular’ activities. Of course, that just meant ‘make sure the old hag doesn’t find out’.

No sooner had we landed then she’d put us on duty. We made great strides in pushing forwards, quickly breaking the stalemate that had been ongoing for the last couple of months while making inroads into the Fulda Badlands. We were right in our estimate of the enemy forces too. Graf Kayserling’s militia were little more than medium tanks and infantry, and didn’t even try to fight us. Instead they ran as soon as they saw us coming,

Old lady Sigonella was concerned that he was stalling for time or the like, but Major Russel simply figured that they were cowards who didn’t want to get into a fight they couldn’t possibly win. Turns out she was right, for once.

Another merc unit, the Iron Knights, just made planetfall five days ago. There’s no question who they’re working for either, as Graf Kayserling hosted them with a parade through the centre of the freaking capitol city to show them off. After that they’ve dropped off the radar, having presumably been sent into the field to hunt us down. It makes sense, since we’re the biggest threat to Kayserling’s forces.

Yes it’s a setback, but its also not the end of the world. We need to hit them hard and inflict a few losses and show them that they don’t stand a chance against us. That way we can bring their leader to the negotiating table and make him realise that he’s better off sitting this one out. Russel’s smart, and he has me at his back. We’ve got this.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #217 on: 03 April 2023, 23:16:07 »
From the campaign journal of Connor Carson

At first I was somewhat disappointed to have been left out of the invasion of Pandora. After all, a big part of the Pact’s sales pitch was the opportunity for Clan salvage, and we weren’t going to get that from sitting around on our bums on Arcturus. However, after I read the reports that came back from Pandora, I’m beginning to think we got a better deal by missing out on it. Furthermore, as conniving as it sounds, the losses suffered by the Tamar Jaegers are to our advantage; they are going to have to lean more heavily on their mercenaries to get the job done.

While we’ve been helping to train the newly-raised Tamar Pact Militia and keep the peace, I know that we’re going to be seeing more action soon. Regis is clearly looking to expand and build her own little empire based around the historical Tamar Pact. I wish her a lot of luck with that, given that the heart of the Pact is still in the middle of the Horses’ OZ, and I know that she doesn’t have the forces for that. Still, nothing wrong with dreaming big. Her followers seem to be in on that idea as well; the Pandora debrief headed up by Kommandant DeVires was very informative in that regard. Despite the losses her unit had suffered, she was eager to get back out there.

When it happens, we’re well positioned for any further advances into the (former?) Falcon OZ. We’re still at full strength and basically itching to go. And unlike the recent mess with the Burnt Offering, we’ve remained entirely in the Pact’s good books with no marks against us. I’ve been using our training exercises to help get the unit ready for the forces we’re likely to face. On the other hand, if what I’ve gathered is true, there may not be anything for us to face. So fewer opportunities for that valuable salvage but on the other hand, less chance of losses.

Depending on how things go, I feel that an expansion of the unit could be on the books. We’re back up to where we were five years ago, and the guys we absorbed along the way are well integrated into the unit’s structure. And while I know there’s still a few bad eggs among them, I also figure that if they were going to try and pull anything they would have done it by now.

As strange as it may seem, things are looking up for us. With where they are now and the modicum of stability that they’ve achieved thus far, I don’t see the Tamar Pact going away any time soon. And as long as they’re willing to keep paying, I’m all for that.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #218 on: 03 April 2023, 23:22:07 »
Guest chapter by KayEmm

Firewalkers

Outside New Hampshire City
Orkney
17 November 3151

Ordinarily, Kirsten Ravenwater would have been impressed by the scenery around her BattleMech as it advanced. It was unlike anything she’d seen before, with rugged mountains punctuated by 'Mech-sized crystal formations, as well as giant, cactus like trees that created a truly alien landscape. Instead, she was tense, not with fear, but the anticipation of what was to come.

And as the first red indicators appeared on her tactical display, she couldn’t help but feel the slightest surge of excitement. A moment later, the voice of Star Commander Orson cracked over the command channel, confirming their presence. “Enemies sighted. Appears to be a mix of medium BattleMechs and vehicles.”

“Aff,” she confirmed, her Ebon Jaguar slowly accelerating towards the targets before she gave her orders. “All units, you are free to engage.”

This was the moment she’d been waiting for since the start of the year; the long-postponed invasion of the Jade Falcon Occupation Zone. A chance for the Hell's Horses to flex their muscles and extend the Clan’s reach, while also offering a chance at glorious combat.

It was the latter that she was most excited for.

Her BattleMech forces charged forwards, with supporting vehicles around them as a veritable stampede of metal, bearing down on their foes. From the side of her cockpit, she could see Zara’s Procyon Point in among their forces, looking more like a pack of gigantic hunting dogs than the machines they were. She quickly flipped open a private channel to her friend. “And good hunting.”

“You too,” Zara’s voice came back over the channel, colored by an almost machine-like twinge that Kirsten had come to accept as normal from the ProtoMech warrior. She never could fully understand the bond between warrior and machine that Zara often spoke of, but she also was not going to doubt its effectiveness.

Ahead she could see the already unfolding battle, with their recon elements already engaged with the Falcon forces. Orson’s Epona was literally running rings around a hapless Ku tank, pouring fire into it from its lasers. The boxy vehicle shuddered and lurched as one of its wheels collapsed, sending weapons fire spraying in every direction save for at the attacking hovercraft. As it collapsed, its rear hatch swung open with conventional infantry pouring out.

Not Elementals, she noted.

Weaving in among the crystal pillars that dotted the battlefield, Kirsten sought her own prey. Her systems locked onto a possible target, a boxy Pinion that did not appear to be engaged so far. It was one of a Star of 'Mechs, all of which were reading as medium or light designs. So are they holding back or buying time for reinforcements, she considered as her 'Mech closed the distance. Because they have to know that they are outmatched by now.

Any other concerns were put aside by the tone from her targeting system, indicating a missile lock. Thumbing the trigger, Kirsten sent two flights of missiles at the Pinion, watching as the missiles streaked towards their target. Only a few of them made their mark, denting the enemy BattleMech’s armour and undoubtedly drawing the attention of the warrior within.

Only lightly damaged, the Pinion pushed forwards along with the rest of its Star. Other long range weapons began to hit the Falcon 'Mechs as they advanced, doing little more than scraping armor. For their part, the enemy MechWarriors seemed to be undeterred by the obviously superior foes that they were facing.

This should have concerned Kirsten, but instead she was eager for the fight. Her Ebon Jaguar surged forwards, closing the distance to its prey. Switching weapons, she instead let fly with its twin particle cannons, unleashing a pair of searing blue bolts of artificial lightning on the enemy 'Mech, with the wave of waste heat immediately reminding her of just how powerful the weapons were. Both of them struck home, spearing into the Pinion’s left side. The boxy 'Mech reeled, but managed to remain standing under the assault.

Keeping up its own advance, the Pinion returned fire, the searing beam of its heavy laser going well wide of her 'Mech. “Brave, but not terribly good,” she snorted as she and her opponent continued to close the distance. They have to know that they are completely outmatched, she considered. But they do not want to admit it.

She closed down the distance with the Pinion, again opening fire with her particle cannons. One of them finished off the work of the first volley, shredding the Jade Falcon BattleMech’s arm. The second speared into its chest, this time causing it to stagger but not fall in in spite of all the damage it had suffered. Instead, it fired back with its heavy laser in an act of stubborn defiance. This time the shot struck home, melting through the armour on Kirsten’s arm.

A quick glance at her damage display told her that the limb had held under the assault, while the rest of her 'Mech was pristine. Status boards told her similar information about the rest of her unit; they had some armor damage, but that was it. A glance around the battlefield told her that the Falcons were faring far worse, and yet they also seemed to be refusing to give up.

The Black Hawk next to the Pinion was speared by laser fire, staggering before continuing its advance. A battered Cizin charged towards the Horse lines, trailing black smoke from tear in its side. A Sokar tank was torn apart by an internal explosion, but its Pointmate continued as if nothing had happened. Zara’s Procyons literally hounded a Jaguar, surrounding the quad 'Mech and pouring weapons fire into it while doing their best to evade its response.

We need to end this, she considered. Throwing caution to the wind, she opened fire with her Ebon Jaguar’s entire arsenal, ignoring the heat as it battered her in the cockpit. The two PPCs struck home, smashing through the Pinion’s depleted torso armor, staggering the 'Mech where it stood. Moments later, two flights of missiles finished what they had started, slamming into the enemy BattleMech, exploiting the openings her cannons had made. The Pinion withered under the assault, wavering a moment before crashing to the ground, thick black smoke billowing out of it.

Around her, Kirsten could see the last dying embers of the battle, as her forces snuffed out the remaining Falcon defenders. The battlefield was littered with the wreckage of 'Mechs and combat vehicles, all of which belonged to their fallen foes. It had been less a battle, and more a massacre.

A beep from her communicator caught her attention, indicating an incoming signal from an unidentified source. “This is Star Captain Kirsten Ravenwater, Alpha Galaxy, Clan Hell's Horses,” she all but snapped. “Who is this and what do you want?”

“Th-this is Chief Administrator Angus of New Hampshire City,” the voice on the other end replied, clearly fearful. “We wish to offer our surrender.”

“Surrender after one battle? What are you playing at, freebirth?

“You have destroyed all our defenders,” he managed. “We want to surrender to prevent any further violence.”

“Then I claim your city for my Clan,” she triumphantly replied.

“You do not understand, Star Captain,” Angus continued, his tone almost apologetic. “We are surrendering the entire world. We have nothing left to defend ourselves with at all.”

So that is why they fought so hard despite being so outmatched, she realized. They were all the Falcons had on the world. She again glanced around the battlefield, seeing the wreckage of the fallen defenders. We won, and yet, I had hoped for more.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #219 on: 03 April 2023, 23:26:22 »
Guest chapter by Zogster

Wild Horses

Hadfield
Benfled
November, 3151

“This is what they have?” Coulter Murphy asked nobody in particular. His Star advanced down the broad streets of Hadfield, the planetary capital of Benfled, a world in the Jade Falcon Occupation Zone. Down the far end of the boulevard was an open circle, ringed by classical buildings and dominated by the statue of a local figure. But the ordinarily bustling plaza was occupied by an array of light tanks and IFVs, dug in with sandbags and waiting for their advance.

“What were you expecting?” came the reply. A low, gravelly voice originated from one of the Elementals clinging to his Doom Courser’s flank.

“Some sport at least,” he growled. This was Coulter’s first real outing since winning the Doom Courser, his first chance to open it up and see what it was capable of. While he preferred to fight at a distance, he had configured it for the close-in brawling that was all too common in urban battles.

“What are they waiting for?” came the voice of Koji, his second who flanked him in an Ebon Jaguar.

Their answer came soon enough. Buildings all around them burst with automatic weapons fire, as infantry opened fire from concealed positions within. At the same time the distant tanks erupted, sending autocannon shells and missiles streaking at the advancing Clan 'Mechs. They weathered it with ease, only minor damage reports coming from the Star.

“We shall handle this,” the Elemental commander said. His Point dropped off Coulter’s Doom Courser, as did others from the rest of his Star. The battle armour spread out to the surrounding buildings, easily forcing their way inside. Coulter would not have to worry about the infantry any more.

Instead, he focused on the tanks ahead. Letting out a bellowing “Charge!” he pushed his OmniMech’s throttle to its limits. The quad strode ahead, flanked by the other four 'Mechs of the Star. As one they opened fire.

The effects were devastating. His own autocannon rent the side of one tank, leaving it barely functional. Koji’s HAG tore through sandbags as if they were nothing, eroding the hull of a tank that was squatting behind them. The Grand Summoner and Timber Wolf spread missiles and laser fire amongst the vehicles, sowing chaos and destruction. The Mad Dog Mk IV clipped the towering statue with its autocannon fire, sending it toppling down onto a dug-in tank.

“Ugly thing,” Coulter remarked, eliciting a round of chuckles from his Star.
They pressed forward, weathering the much thinner fire. Coulter focused on a Sokar IFV that was rapidly backpedalling from its ruined fortifications. The tank sprayed his imposing OmniMech with light Gauss fire before firing its paired autocannons. The shots went wide as Coulter pressed his advance. He fired a burst from his gargantuan autocannon, sending clusters of shot across the light vehicle and into the columned facade of the building it had backed up against. The sandstone columns shattered, dropping the overhanging roof onto the back of the tank.

“This place was settled in the Age of War,” remarked Delilah as her Mad Dog finished off the Sokar.

“So?” Coulter asked.

“So that building could have been five hundred years old.”

“Then it was due for renovations.”

Another round of chuckles came up from the Star. Coulter paused to assess the carnage around them. The paramilitary forces had been wiped out, with little left but the broken hulls of tanks scattered around them. His own troops had suffered minimal damage despite charging headlong into their fire.

It was good to get out and stretch his legs, metaphorically speaking. For too long the Hell’s Horses had been stagnant, sitting and waiting. And while it wasn’t the greatest of battles, it had whetted his appetite for more.

“Contacts,” came the report from Delilah, bringing him back to the battlefield.

“Report,” he snapped.

“We have a group assembling on the next block,” Koji replied.

“Then we go to them,” Coulter declared. “Scott, Zhang, with me.”

Coulter fired up the Doom Courser’s jump jets, while the Grand Summoner and Timber Wolf alongside him did the same. As his bulky OmniMech soared above the streets, he tucked its legs in under its body to clear a gleaming glass tower. The three 'Mechs descended rapidly into the steel canyon beyond. A handful of light tanks were caught by surprise, with foot soldiers scattering around them. His Starmates opened fire as they descended, tearing up the street with missile and laser fire and scattering the bodies of infantrymen to the winds.
Coulter let his quad 'Mech land right in front of a light tank before shredding it utterly with a blast from his titanic autocannon.

“More rabble,” Zhang reported as her Timber Wolf bore down on a Vedette tank. It rapidly backpedalled away from her laser fire, which only served to tear up the street some more.

Coulter only grunted in return. Agile as his 'Mech was, the close quarters limited his manoeuvrability. To his side, a Point of infantry opened up from the upper levels of a residential tower. He could see them poking out from the greenery that wound around the building, armed with nothing but simple rifles. Their small arms fire pinged ineffectually off his OmniMech’s thick armour. For now, he could ignore them.

With his two Starmates behind him, Coulter advanced down the city street. A boxy Ku IFV trundled up to his 'Mech with unwarranted bravery, with more infantry firing from cover behind it. It fired the full force of its weaponry, sending laser pulses and hypervelocity metal shreds into the front of his 'Mech. Coulter laughed out loud in reply. “Bold! I like it!” he declared to the busy street over his 'Mech’s speakers. His eager grin turned to a snarl as he returned fire, lasers tearing across shredding the oversized wheels on one side. The other side ground ineffectively against the street as it desperately tried to reverse. Coulter advanced his Doom Courser, looming over the crippled vehicle. “Where is your bravery now?” he asked over the loudspeakers. In lieu of an answer he opened fire, tearing into the vehicle’s front and leaving it as smoking wreckage.

He took a moment to check behind him. Scott’s Grand Summoner brought down a buzzing VTOL with deadly accurate laser fire, while Zhang laid into the foot troopers around them with machine gun fire. Satisfied, Coulter turned back to the scattered forces ahead of him. “And now you,” he said, thumbing the firing stud for his lasers. Brilliant pulses scattered across the assembled troops in front of him, sowing chaos and disarray more than inflicting harm.

The infantry, however, did not last long. More fire came from the sides of the street, as Elementals emerged from the buildings on either side. They advanced firing anti-personnel gauss rifles, sweeping the street with supersonic metal slugs. The infantry were cut down left and right, falling to a man.

“Glad you left some for us, Star Captain,” came the low growl from the Elementals' commander.

“Try and keep up next time,” Coulter replied with a chuckle.

Time to deal with the annoyances. Coulter easily maneuvered his Doom Courser through the broken streets, its four legs navigating the strewn rubble with ease despite its massive bulk. Small arms fire continued to splash across its flank as he backed up to the green-garnished tower. He kicked up with his 'Mech’s hind legs, rearing the gargantuan machine forwards before lashing out backwards. Both hind legs smashed through the building’s structure. He trotted forwards, watching with relish as the tower collapsed in on itself. It rapidly disappeared into a growing cloud of dust and debris, burying his attackers.

“Impressive,” came the Elemental’s low voice.

“And it opens up new avenues for us.” He turned his Doom Courser around to stride through the rubble. “Come. Let’s see if there’s anything left to fight. I’m not ready to stop now.”

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #220 on: 03 April 2023, 23:28:11 »
Guest chapter by Zogster

From the personal journal of Lana Kotovski

I write this as the Ur is speeding away from our brief but very informative visit to Alyina. The situation had changed while our newfound employers were on their way to Galatea, and by the time we had arrived in system there was a contract waiting for us. We set down just long enough to refuel and negotiate our contract before heading off again.

Our objective is the planet Esteros, up until recently a part of the Jade Falcon Occupation Zone. The Falcons had mining operations there, extracting resources to use in their BattleMech manufacturing, but once they departed the planet, those operations were overrun by local warlords. The AML is relying heavily on its BattleMech manufacturing for trade. And the rare earths and radioactives provided by the mine on Esteros are a vital part of this manufacturing process.
It’s a simple assignment to retake the mine and re-establish supply.

Our limited time on Alyina was enlightening.  Antonin’s initial assessment was correct, but it goes far beyond what he expected. The Alyina Mercantile League still incorporates a number of former Jade Falcon worlds. We’re already pouring over the maps we were provided to figure out just how much they encompass.

They operate under Clan structures, but with the merchant caste calling the shots. That is I imagine as much to do with the prior power held by the Jade Falcon’s merchants as the complete abandonment of their warrior class. It’s a huge change for such a rigid society, and I imagine it will only change further over time. The last thing I imagine a newly empowered merchant caste will want is to cede power to a resurgent warrior caste, so they are likely to rely on mercenaries rather than raising their own armies for a while. At the same time, I it is possible that this will lead to further power sharing with the other civilian castes, and a more egalitarian society overall.

Well, I’m getting ahead of myself. But I can hope.

Jakub was right as well, but more than we could have hoped for. Alinya is a massive BattleMech manufacturing centre producing a wide range modern Clan-spec OmniMechs. They seem to have maintained their entire manufacturing capabilities despite the change in leadership. It seems the Falcons’ haste to leave was to our gain.

As part of our contract, we were able to negotiate for newly manufactured materiel as part of our payment, as well as options to purchase more. I’m already drawing up plans for upgrades and expansions to the unit once the campaign is completed. I know not to count my chickens, but I have a good feeling about this.

While we don’t have solid numbers on opposition, we believe they’re not as well equipped as the Star. We have maps of the mine and the surrounding areas, and are already drawing up plans for deployment. At the same time, our units are being repainted in local camouflage based on the purple plant life. We’re ready for this.

I find these times to be the most peaceful. When I know what’s ahead and have a good plan in place. It won’t be long before we’re in orbit over Esteros, ready to drop. But now’s the time to sit back and look to the future. I like what I see.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #221 on: 03 April 2023, 23:33:54 »
Guest chapter by KayEmm

Red Hills

Surviving the reception ball had been just the start for Kaitlyn Farris. Now the real battle was about to begin.

Meeting with Graf Kayserling and his officers had made it clear that the mercenaries hired by their rivals were the main threat. While representing only a small portion of their overall forces, the mercenaries were still better equipped, more mobile and more experienced than the conventional forces fielded by either side. Eliminating them would remove a significant portion of the enemy’s capability.

In the three weeks since their arrival, the mercenaries, identified as the Screaming Demons, had been ranging across the Fulda Badlands, raiding a variety of targets. The suspicion was that they were probing Kayserling defences, testing their strength and looking or an avenue or a larger assault. She also had no doubt that the Demons would be aware of her arrival, given how much of a show it had become.

From the intelligence she’d been provided from their employers, Kaitlyn Farris had reached the conclusion that the Fulda Badlands were a good place for an enemy force to hide out. The region was already a natural battleground, with rough hills, rocky outcroppings and ample valleys giving a unit plenty of cover. Centuries of human settlement had only added to that, with the region turning into a mass of mines, both active and played out, as well as supporting settlements and infrastructure. Beyond just the visual cover, the combination of minerals in the ground and mining equipment meant that MAD scans would be useless. No doubt the mercenaries also would have patrols or pickets to warn them of any scouts trying to hunt them down.

However, Kaitlyn had other resources at her disposal.

She had been introduced to Anton Yamashita through Iulia, who had sold her on his skills as a scout. Forgoing any advanced equipment, he usually travelled with nothing more than his supplies, an old hunting rifle and a communicator. So far, he had surpassed her expectations. This time proved to be no exception.

Anton had tracked the mercenaries down to a ghost town in the badlands. It made a lot of sense; the town gave them cover and a place to store their supplies, and was in a nicely defensible location. However, Anton had managed to find them a path that would cover their approach and leave the mercenaries with little warning of what was to come. An overnight dust storm had played well to their advantage, helping to further conceal them from detection.

Seated in the cockpit of her BattleMech, Kait checked over her tactical map, showing the positions of her unit in their approach to the ghost town. They had advanced overnight, so far apparently remaining undetected in their approach. Everyone’s in place, she considered. Time to go. She opened a command channel. “Knight Lead to Knight Flight. You are go.”

A minute later, the predawn silence was broken as a pair of aerospace fighters roared overhead. Releasing their payloads, they pulled away before two brilliant fireballs erupted from in among the town.

Got them, she considered. “All units, this is Knight Lead. Go!”

She pushed her Warhammer IIC forwards, advancing on the town and the enemy forces waiting within it. Other BattleMechs moved with her, both on foot and soaring through the air on their jump jets. Below, her display showed thermal blooms as reactors came on-line, the mercenaries reacting to the attack. Even as they did, shots rained down from the Iron Knights onto their forces.

One of them was already on the move; her system tagging it as a light SRM carrier. Without a moment’s hesitation, she lined it up in her crosshairs, the reticule flashing gold to indicate it was in range. She squeezed the trigger, a pair of brilliant blue bolts leaping out from the PPCs before smashing into the vehicle’s side.

The two shots rocked the vehicle, smashing through its side armour. Then, a moment later, the vehicle exploded, a brilliant fireball lighting up the darkness around it. That’s a lot bigger than it should be, she considered. “Enemy forces could be packing infernos,” she quickly concluded, calling out over the tactical network. That was a big risk, both to her men and the enemy, especially in among a collection of old, dry, wooden buildings.

While they had been caught flat-footed, the enemy were quickly regaining their composition. A flight of long-range missiles peppered Kait’s Warhammer IIC, battering the armour but doing little actual real damage. More shots went off around her, the enemy fire more opportunistic and hurried than anything coordinated as they tried to respond to the unexpected assault.

Leon’s Phoenix Hawk soared past her, returning fire at a mercenary Exhumer as it did. Shots scarred the broad BattleMech, staggering it but not taking it down. Several other 'Mechs joined it, followed by a lance of hovercraft pushing down from the hills. Long-range missiles backed them up, soaring over the ridge to pummel enemy targets.

Not that the enemy force were all just standing there and taking fire, however. One of the enemy 'Mechs pushed forward towards her, spitting PPC and autocannon shells as it did. Her 'Mech rocked as several shells slammed into the torso, failing to penetrate the thick armour. A second flight of long-range missiles joined them, most of which simply scattered around her to little effect.
She spotted the source of the attack; a dome-headed Koschei in among the buildings. She quickly pushed the Warhammer forwards, turning and opening fire on the mercenary 'Mech. A wave of heat washed into the cockpit as both PPCs fired again, unleashing twin bolts of artificial lightning. One of them smashed into its side, staggering it but not yet dropping it. The other went wide, reducing one of the buildings to splinters.

The enemy 'Mech followed her, its weapons again opening up on her as it turned to keep her in its sights. A PPC shot scored more armour off her side, while more autocannon shots rocked the Warhammer. Moments later, another flight of LRMs, followed by a PPC shot peppered her armour. Kait took a glance at the tac display, trying to find the Koschei’s ally. A Zeus briefly flashed up on her display, the 'Mech hanging back from the rest of the battle.

Don’t want to get bracketed in here.

She opened fire again, this time adding her pulse lasers to the mix while ignoring the heat rushing into the cockpit. Once again, one of the PPCs went wide, while the other made its mark on the enemy BattleMech’s barrel-like arm. Before it could retaliate, she fired her jump jets, taking to the air, twisting to keep the enemy 'Mech in her sights as she did.

The Koschei’s MechWarrior clearly wasn’t ready for this and was left flat-footed by her move. The Zeus was likewise caught out, not moving from its dug in-position. As she came down, Kait fired again, quickly swapping her weapons around as she fought with the heat that continued to batter her.

Only one of her PPCs fired this time, but it clearly made its mark. As the enemy 'Mech staggered under the impact, her lasers followed through, slicing into the exposed flank and the vulnerable equipment within. Her short-range missiles added to the damage, detonating within its body. They must have struck something, as the barrel-like arm tore itself apart, along with the autocannon contained within. Direfully wounded, the Koschei staggered drunkenly, only just managing to keep its footing.

Kait had no time to celebrate, as a warning alarm filled her ears. She twisted the Warhammer around to face the Zeus as it levelled its weapons at her. However, before the enemy 'Mech could act, a brilliant PPC bolt went straight through the cockpit of the Zeus. Decapitated, the assault 'Mech stood there, as if stunned. Then, deprived of control from its human pilot, it simply collapsed.

“Enemy commander down,” Iulia’s voice crackled over the communicator.

“Nice shooting,” Kait replied.

The wounded Koschei staggered back, trying to keep its gutted flank out of Kait’s line of fire. Around it, other BattleMechs were joining it, trying to pull away from the Iron Knights’ advance. They were still firing at her forces, but their shots were more about covering themselves and discouraging pursuit. As they pulled back, a flight of long range missiles scattered around the town, creating clouds of thick smoke to cover their withdrawal.

“Should we pursue?” Leon’s voice came over the communicator.

“Shadow them, but don’t engage unless they do,” Kait suggested. “Make sure they’re not just trying to fake us out.” She glanced around the town, noting several disabled 'Mechs and wrecked vehicles. “But I think they’re done.”

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #222 on: 03 April 2023, 23:35:17 »
Guest chapter by KayEmm

Our first clash with the Screaming Demons worked out well for us. We ambushed them at their staging ground, catching them flat-footed before they were even aware of what had happened. By the time they had pulled themselves together, we were already all over them. After a brief battle, they decided to pull back after Iulia killed their commander (as she does).

Once they were clear we secured the site. Overall, three of our 'Mechs were disabled, but they can all be easily be repaired and put back into the field. We also lost four hovers that were crippled, but again they are all repairable. Our personnel losses were limited largely to light injuries to crews, all of which will be back in action soon enough. Really, the biggest problem was Buster [EDITOR'S NOTE: Captain Buster Snegwort] complaining about the damage his vehicles took, which is pretty normal for him anyway.

The Screaming Demons came off a lot worse for it. They lost six 'Mechs and seven vehicles, and abandoned all of them on the field when they withdrew. They left behind a considerable amount of supplies and ammunition as well; curiously enough, our techs have been going over what they found, and a lot of it was apparently brand new material, imported from off-world. It could be worth finding out where the Demons were getting their supplies from.

Finally, even though we killed their leader, we still took several prisoners who were left behind during the retreat. From what we got out of them, we rather effectively decapitated the Demons and left them with no clear line of succession. Between the losses they suffered and the lack of leadership, the Demons seem to be spent as a force. We’re assuming they’re going to try and hook up with the rest of Sigonella’s forces, so it’ll probably be a case of watch and wait.

Speaking of, we reported our success to Graf Kayserling. To say that he’s delighted with the result is an understatement. Now they’re pushing for a major assault into Sigonella’s holdings now that they’ve lost their most powerful force. And, just as Leon predicted, he’s suggesting that I should work closely with Captain Johan Kayserling, who in addition to being an officer in their forces just happens to be one of his sons who also just happens to be unmarried so far.
Strange how that works.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #223 on: 13 April 2023, 03:18:18 »
Guest chapter by KayEmm

Kayserling forces continue advance

Dateline Viencia

The offensive by forces loyal to Graf Leonhard Kayserling continued, making significant advances. In the last seventy two hours, the towns of Viencia, Wien and Dieppe were liberated from rebel control, falling in the face of their daring counteroffensive led by Captain Johan Kayserling.

The loyalist forces crossed the Po river and launched swift attacks against the rebel forces. The daring action was spearheaded by Captain Kayserling, who lead the offensive from his BattleMech. His lance used their mobility to cross the river and outflank their enemies, sowing chaos among the rebel formation. This created an opening for the First Kayserling Armoured Guards to seize several key river crossings and launch their main offensive.

Surprised by the swift action, and unable to mount an effective defence, the rebel forces withdrew, retreating back to the town of Viencia in an effort to regroup. Despite this effort, they were soundly defeated and driven into a rout, abandoning the town. As the loyalist forces advanced, they pushed token garrisons out of Wien and Dieppe, recapturing both towns. While full figures are not yet available, it is apparent that the rebel forces have suffered substantial losses in their retreat.

In a statement, Graf Kayserling praised the valiant actions of the loyalist forces, while expressing regret at the lives lost on both sides of the conflict. He implored Baroness Sigonella to stand down her forces to prevent further needless loss of life. “We are, after all, one world,” he stated. “And while we fight among ourselves, the Jade Falcons and other threats are still looming  around us. We cannot protect our world against them while we remain divided.”

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #224 on: 13 April 2023, 03:19:20 »
Guest chapter by KayEmm

From the personal journal of Lewis Guise

Just when I thought I’d gotten everything under control, it got worse.

While the Sigonella job looked like a plum contract, we were blindsided when Kayserling hired his own mercs. When they arrived, we figured they’d be sent after us first, since we were her best asset. And yet, that moron Russel still managed to be caught flat-footed by them somehow. We were ambushed and suffered severe losses, including Russel himself. I can still his headless Zeus lying there on the ground next to me. His mistakes cost us nearly everything.

I was able to pull together what was left and organize a tactical withdrawal. Marko and Greene both recognized my skills and got behind me, and supported my taking control of the unit. We pulled back to Sigonella’s heartland to reorganize and take stock. The Baroness was furious at us for abandoning her front line and wanted to send us straight back down there, but I sat her down and explained the situation to her. Eventually she saw reason.

That bought us a few days to get things organised, but next thing I knew the old harpy was screaming at us again. Her forces were falling back after losing several towns and a vital river crossing, and it’s clear that she’s losing bad. This big push is being led by the same mercenaries that crushed us, and they’re doing a real number on her forces.

She wants us to go stop them, but I know how that’s going to end up for us. We’re now outnumbered, and I figure those mercs are not going to give us any mercy. I’m open to negotiating, but their commander has to know how badly he has us by now. If I was him, I’d demand whatever I wanted from us as condition of our surrender, and know that we were willing to pay it rather than risk being wiped out.

So I’m going to get us out of here. Our JumpShip’s not due back for another couple of months, but fortunately we’ve got options. We can withdraw back to Alwaid and take ourselves out of the conflict. We could hire ourselves out to one of the local warlords to bolster their forces. Or we could even find our own slice of paradise and set ourselves up. Either way, it’s going to be a better option than following Sigonella’s orders.

I worked hard to get to the top of this unit. I’m not going to throw it all away now.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #225 on: 13 April 2023, 03:21:40 »
Guest chapter by KayEmm

Counteroffer

Baroness Giana Sigonella: Major Farris, it is good of you to meet with me on such short notice.

Major Kaitlyn Farris: You contacted me with an offer to parlay. As such, I am here on behalf of both my employer and my unit.

Sigonella: Your employer, of course.

Farris: What was it you wanted then?

Sigonella: I will be blunt and honest with you, Major Farris. I am well aware of how the situation has developed, and will not attempt to hide it. Your employer has made several key breakthroughs, and my forces are in retreat. Furthermore, your own unit has dealt my mercenaries such a severe blow that they simply deserted rather than attempting to retreat. My only surprise there is that it took them this long to run off.

Farris: So you want to open negotiations for a cease-fire or surrender then.

Sigonella: You misunderstand me, Major. I did not get to where I am today by surrendering at the first sign of trouble.

Farris: So what did you want then?

Sigonella: It’s no secret that your unit has been key to Graf Kayserling’s success, despite his efforts to put his idiot son front and centre of their propaganda. I’ve met the man; he can barely walk a BattleMech in a straight line let alone lead a force into battle. I am well aware that your unit led the Po River offensive while Kayserling’s men took all the glory.

Farris: Did you ask me here just to flatter me?

Sigonella: Simply put, I want to hire you.

Farris: I see.

Sigonella: I will gladly pay you above whatever Graf Kayserling offered you. Furthermore, I will also give you the payment and supplies I had intended for Major Russel’s band. Combined with the salvage that you took from them already, you would be effectively double-dipping at my expense.

Farris: In short, you want me to betray my employer.

Sigonella: It would be beneficial to you, after all. You’d already have whatever advance my rival has offered you on top of what I am offering. Furthermore, since you have worked with them so far, you would have insider information about their forces that would aid you in your operations against them.

Farris: With all due respect, Baroness Sigonella, I am going to refuse your offer. I don’t know what sort of mercenaries you were used to dealing with in past, but I am not going to turn on an employer who has treated my unit fairly and with respect just because you wave more money at me.

Sigonella: [sighs] I suspected that would be your answer, but I had to try no less. You are a sight more professional than Major Russel was, and I both respect and rue that dedication.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #226 on: 13 April 2023, 03:22:57 »
Guest chapter by KayEmm

It’s over. Well, at least this phase of our contract is.

Under our lead, the First Kayserling had advanced deep into Sigonella’s territory. With the Screaming Demons out of the picture, her forces were not able to mount any sort of offensive action, and were substantially outmatched by the Iron Knights. They’ve been on the retreat for the last week, only just stopping short of turning it into a full panicked rout. Not only have they abandoned territory, but they’ve also given up supplies and ammunition in their hurry to withdraw.

We’d reached the outskirts of Palmero, a major city that was also the seat of Sigonella’s power when she contacted us again. This time, rather than trying to buy me off, she was looking to open negotiations with Graf Kayserling using me as a relatively neutral third party. It worked, because he was very much willing to talk. Honestly, while Sigonella’s rebellion was an affront to his authority, it does feel like he was more concerned about loss of life and Esteros as a whole than his own personal power.

Its early days yet, but so far we have a cease-fire that is holding. What it looks like will be the likely outcome is that both Kayserling and Sigonella will merge their personal forces into a unified planetary defence force, something that Esteros has so far lacked (though Sigonella gets to keep control of a lance of family heirloom BattleMechs, of course). For her part, Sigonella is unlikely to get more than a token slap on the wrist and retain her title and position.
Kayserling will no doubt make some statement about restoring unity, healing and so on, while trying to focus attention on external threats.

Which will be the next part of our contract. While we’ve ended the civil war on Alkahera, we now have Alwaid to deal with. That’s far more of a mess; the Falcons’ departure left behind a power vacuum and now there’s no central authority at all. The biggest threat is one warlord who’s been making a lot of progress while everyone’s been more focused on the fighting over here, but that’s not all we’ll need to deal with.

Added to that, we have another loose end to tie up. Baroness Sigonella made it clear that the Screaming Demons had deserted her forces after we defeated them, but so far they’re unaccounted for. We know they haven’t jumped out of the system, which means that they are still somewhere on-world.

Finally, on a more personal front, I have another issue to deal with. We worked with Johan Kayserling, the Graf’s youngest son during the campaign (the oldest is an LCAF officer, and the second is a corporate bigshot on Donegal). He’s an officer in the Graf’s forces due to his position rather than any skill; likewise, he’s a MechWarrior, piloting a BattleMech that has been in the family for a couple of centuries. Unfortunately, he’s only mediocre at best, the result of being surrounded by yes-men and getting by on his noble rank.

Leon and I did our best to try to help him and teach him a few things, and to his credit, he did seem to be willing to listen to us. However, it seems that as a by-product of that education he’s now somewhat smitten with me, which is going to make things awkward to say the least. And the worst part is that I feel like his parents are actively encouraging him.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #227 on: 13 April 2023, 03:24:27 »
Guest chapter by KayEmm

Dimitri Mandragov, the Warlord of Esteros

Dimitri Mandragov’s rise to power had an inauspicious start. In 3142, he was an officer in the LCAF and a part of the forces assigned to protect Esteros and its mineral assets. The unit was functionally destroyed during the Jade Falcon invasion of the world, leaving an injured Anton Mandragov as one of the few survivors. Having managed to conspicuously escape the fate of his colleagues, he went underground, both metaphorically and literally.

Operating out of a series of abandoned mines across the world’s Alwaid continent, Mandragov formed a resistance cell from a combination of survivors from the local noble forces and civilians opposed to Jade Falcon rule. For the next eight years they engaged in terrorist operations across the continent, chiefly bombings and sabotage, which usually ended up killing more civilians than members of the Jade Falcon paramilitary forces or administration. Nonetheless, he was able to attract a core of loyal followers to his side who also wanted to bring an end to the Jade Falcon rule.

Mandragov’s greatest break would not be of his own making; rather, in late 3150, the Jade Falcons simply pulled all their forces from the world, leaving behind a small police and administrative force. While not knowing the reasons for this move, he none the less saw the opportunity and took it. After two months of quietly building up his forces, he launched an attack on Tirana, the regional capitol in April of 3151. Caught off-guard and overwhelmed, the Falcon authorities were captured and subsequently executed by Mandragov’s forces.

Having seized the city, his army quickly swelled with eager followers. They seized the Falcon armouries, equipping themselves with an assortment of weapons and equipment that had been, in turn, taken from the planetary house guards during the invasion. No longer needing to operate covertly, Mandragov’s army moved openly against other Clan-held targets, taking three cities within the next two months. Along the way, he continued to expand his army through a combination of popular recruitment and conscription.

In June of 3151, Mandragov was formally contacted by the Esteros Assembly, who offered him an opportunity to join with them and reunify the planet. He flatly refused their request, claiming that he was not going to be beholden to a ‘band of parasitic nobles’. Seeing an opportunity, Mandragov turned this moment into a propaganda coup, painting himself as standing up for average people and freeing them from the nobles that had controlled their lives for centuries. This played well to much of the populace, who had spent years under Falcon control while their supposedly rightful rulers had done nothing to help them.

At the end of the month, Mandragov made contact with the Mikros Collective, an alliance of mining settlements that had also freed themselves from Falcon control. The Collective flatly rejected his offer of an alliance, claiming that they would rather stand on their own. Mandragov’s response was to mobilise his own forces and take the Collective’s territories, using superior numbers and equipment to quickly crush the local defenders. The Collective’s surviving leaders were quickly rounded up and executed.

The next two months would see a similar pattern as Mandragov’s forces moved to extend his control over the centre of the continent. As he did, his forces continued to grow, and not just through salvage and conscription. Mandragov had begun his campaign with a mixture of light and medium tanks, conventional infantry and a few converted IndustrialMechs; by the middle of the year, his forces had expanded and now included BattleMechs and VTOLs that had clearly been supplied from off-world. While the source of these weapons was unclear, they greatly expanded the capabilities of his forces, allowing him to further accelerate his campaign.

By the end of the year, Mandragov controlled most of the central part of Alwaid. After he crushed two other would-be warlords and forcibly incorporated their forces into his own, the other groups chose to keep away from his territories and give him a free reign to do what he pleased. With the planetary government distracted by its own civil war, and no other force on Alwaid able to stand up to him, Mandragov appeared to be unstoppable. However, that was all about to change.

-   From Warlords of the 32nd Century, Galatea Free Press

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #228 on: 13 April 2023, 03:26:01 »
Guest chapter by KayEmm

The Battle of Port Alouis

Before the Jade Falcon invasion of Esteros, Port Alouis had been the major shipping port on Alwaid and served as a hub for vessels travelling to the rest of the planet. This made it largely redundant to the Falcons’ needs, as the Clan simply focused their effort on the one continent to extract the resources they sought. As a result, the port was effectively shut down. Any vessels docked at the time were impounded, while the majority of the workforce were relocated to other industries. The Clan paramilitary force present was largely focused on stopping smuggling and ensuring that no vessels went in or out; however, some evidence suggested that there was also collusion between the Port Alouis authorities and elements within the Free Guilds.

Following the withdrawal of the Jade Falcon forces in late 3150, the Paramilitary forces simply stayed in place while awaiting further orders. As news spread of Dimitri Mandragov’s uprising, the remaining residents and workers of Port Alouis made plans to take advantage of the situation. With their leadership missing, the Paramilitary force was thrown into disarray and were swiftly removed by the locals, who had armed themselves with cached weapons. Port Alouis was declared a free city, under the control of the Port Alouis Workers Party, led by Horace Henderson.

As a part of the plan to reunify Esteros, Port Alouis was seen as a key objective. Not only would capturing it serve as a useful beachhead given both its docks and landing facilities, but it would also enable the reopening of trade. Major Kaitlyn Farris made it her first objective, landing her forces on the highway outside of the city and marching on it. They were met by members of the Workers Party, who sought to open negotiations. Given that they were equipped only with small arms, light APCs and a few IndustrialMechs, the Workers Party knew that they stood no chance against a mercenary battalion.

While openly friendly, Henderson had private reservations about the situation. While his chief concern was that his holdings would lose their autonomy, there were other factors at play. For years he had been running a smuggling operations, trading weapons for narcotics and other contraband. While he had been able to keep this a secret from the Falcon paramilitary forces, he now feared that reunification would bring his activities to light.

Henderson invited Major Farris and her command staff to meet him in order to negotiate terms. Secretly, he had forces loyal to him personally positioned to take them hostage. Confident that he had the upper hand, he ordered his men to attack. Instead, Major Farris proved to be ready for him, and Henderson found his forces surrounded by the Iron Knights’ battle armor units. Realizing that he was outmatched, he chose to quietly surrender.

Following the failed attack, Henderson was arrested, with Amira Chen becoming the new leader of the Workers Party. Rather than further escalate the situation, she chose to peacefully negotiate with Major Farris on behalf of the Workers Party.

-   From Esteros Burning, Galatea Free Press

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #229 on: 13 April 2023, 03:29:46 »
Guest chapter by KayEmm

LIC Surveillance Log 546-214A

Major Kaitlyn Farris: So tell me what we’re dealing with here. Is Mandragov’s army as big as it looks?

Lieutenant Leon Mackinaw: Yes and no. The bad news is that his army is indeed that big, and nobody seems to know how it got that way.

Farris: What do you mean?

Mackinaw: Simply put, the amount of equipment he has far exceeds the amount that should have been available to him. Between the Falcon invasion, the occupation and everything else, he should have one, maybe two battalions of light and medium tanks and some Industrial MODs at best.

Farris: But that’s not what he has, is it?

Mackinaw: No. Current estimates are the he fields over a regiment of tanks and at least a battalion of BattleMechs, many of which are recent designs. On top of that, he has an estimated three regiments of conventional infantry. Finally, he’s been scraping together ‘auxiliary’ forces made up of MilitaMechs and even modified Industrials.

Farris: I see what you mean. Any ideas where any of that came from? There shouldn’t be any BattleMechs at all here save for us.

Mackinaw: No, and that’s the worrying part. It seems that his army underwent an explosive growth around the middle of last year.

Captain Iulia Dragan: I could try to seek their origin. Maybe something will reveal itself.

Farris: Please. [pause] So Leon, you said yes and no. Please tell me there’s some good in this.

Mackinaw: Mandragov’s got no real long-range mobility for his forces; no DropShips or bulk air transport or the like. He can relocate elements, but that’s about it. The result of which is that he can’t mass his army in one place.

Farris: So he’s divided it to try to cover as much as he can.

Mackinaw: Exactly. He has three major operational groups; each one consists of a battalion of tanks and a company of ’Mechs, plus infantry support. Individually, those forces are still more than a match for any of the other warlords, but would be closer to an even footing for us.

Farris: So if we could take them down piecemeal, then we can wear him down.

Mackinaw: Assuming that he doesn’t try to consolidate his forces, yes. Plus there’s also issues of the quality of his forces he has to deal with.

Farris: I’ll take anything good here.

Mackinaw: Despite the size of his army, he’s deficient in the quality of his troops. Most of his MechWarriors and tank crews don’t have any professional training, and usually rely on weight of numbers against largely inferior opponents. They also lack individual initiative, with his forces having a very top-down structure. That doesn’t discount the possibility that he may have some mercenary officers in among his ranks, however.

Farris: Very useful to know.

Mackinaw: His infantry forces are also relatively weak. Many of them are poorly trained conscripts with little mobility, and their equipment is more of whatever they can get their hands on. Finally, he doesn’t have any aerospace fighters or battle armor, which will help us a lot.

Farris: Definitely.

Mackinaw: That being said, he also has a personal guard unit made up of a company of ’Mechs with some tanks and infantry in support. They’re the best trained and best equipped of them, and they’re mostly loyal to him personally.

Farris: Of course. But it’s a start. [pause] Iulia, do you have any thoughts?

Dragan: Hm... [sound of shuffling paper] He is a survivor. He lived when many others died. But... I think that is not a strength, but more him throwing others in his way. He feeds off their strength, their deaths sustain him.

Farris: Can you use that?

Dragan: He has chosen a dangerous path. If I am right, then it will be his downfall.

Farris: I’ll take that as a yes.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #230 on: 13 April 2023, 03:31:37 »
Guest chapter by KayEmm

Preah Khan

While Dimitri Mandragov was the most infamous of the Esteros warlords, he was not the only one by any stretch. The combination of a power vacuum and a sudden influx of weaponry saw a number of others rise to take whatever power they could.

Preah Khan was one such example. A mining shift supervisor before the invasion, he was effectively pressed into Jade Falcon service after their conquest of the world. For nearly a decade he worked for the Clan, operating MiningMechs in various locations across the continent. During that time, he used his charisma and position as a shift supervisor to build up a number of allies, both within the mining teams he worked for as well as more criminal elements.

The sudden collapse of Clan authority across the continent gave him an opportunity. Arming his men with weapons provided by his contacts in Port Alouis, he sized control of the Mont Sazabo mine complex. His forces captured and executed the remaining Clan administrators while facing little actual resistance. This gave him a base from which he expanded his forces, arming them with modified IndustrialMechs and other mining vehicles.

With reports reaching him of a growing power vacuum across the continent, Khan chose to expand his reach. His forces moved south and entered the city of Metz, quickly defeating the remaining paramilitary forces. The city’s people hailed him as a hero, but that adoration quickly turned to fear when he announced that he was seizing it for himself. With no forces left to resist him, the city’s leaders were forced to surrender. Khan's forces imposed their own brand of order, engaging in widespread looting while executing anyone who tried to oppose them.

Emboldened by his success, Khan continued his advance. After conscripting new recruits from Metz into what he was now calling the Killer Khans, he took control of a number of smaller settlements in the region, extending his reach all the way to Port Alouis. However, he chose not to attack the port city due to the role it was playing in supplying both his own forces and his personal vices; any such attack risked disrupting that flow.

Instead, he swung west and pushed towards the city of Narborne. Along the way, the Killer Khans encountered only sporadic resistance from ad hoc militias and local police units that did little to slow his forces. Narbourne offered only limited resistance as well. While the populace had stockpiled weapons, they still had little chance of slowing down a force spearheaded by armed IndustrialMechs. The city fell, and was subjected to the same heavy-handed rule as Metz.

While he had now controlled a rough triangle of territory, Khan quickly found that he was out of room to expand. To the west he was limited by the coast, but it was to the east that he found his greatest obstacle. Any moves to extend his reach would bring him into conflict with Dimitri Mandragov’s army, a force that massively outnumbered his. Instead, Preah Khan chose to consolidate his control over his existing territories while also looking for other ways to extend his reach.

-   From Warlords of the 32nd Century, Galatea Free Press

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #231 on: 13 April 2023, 03:34:53 »
Guest chapter by KayEmm

Living the High Life

Clambering down the access ladder from her BattleMech, Kaitlyn Farris couldn’t help but take in the view before her. The manor had once been grand, no doubt lavished on by generations of nobles as a way of demonstrating their wealth and power. What she saw as she approached was little more than a shell of that grandeur. The gardens were the first indicator of what had happened, being overgrown and strewn with garbage and debris, some of which had been converted into makeshift barricades. Several derelict vehicles were scattered around them, only adding to the air of desolation.

That air extended to the manor building itself. Its exterior had not only been neglected, being covered in grime and overgrowth from the garden, but actively defaced. Graffiti was splashed across the walls, a variety of colorful designs at odds with the stately home underneath. Many of the windows were smashed, while others were boarded up.

But it was the apparent militarisation of the site that struck her the most. A Griffin stood by the manor, clad in an ugly, patchy brown and tan scheme. A Winterhawk APC lay nearby tangled in among the overgrowth, its side torn open by weapons fire. Several ATV Quads were parked nearby, ready for use by soldiers that had never gotten the chance. Two watch posts had been built on the roof of the manor, while others were scattered around the grounds, while fresh bullet holes had been blasted out of the walls.

And that was before the bodies that were scattered around the manor’s exterior. While they had been covered with sheets, it was impossible for her not to notice them as she approached.

Groups of Iron Knights infantry were engaged in securing and cleaning up the area; some of them were in the process of marching away with groups of enemy soldiers. At a glance, their captives seemed to be as dirty and unkempt as their surroundings.

She entered the building proper, an Iron Knight trooper saluting as she did. The interior of the manor was as she’d expected it to be, dirty and decaying from a decade of neglect. Any furnishings, art or anything else of value had likely been stripped years ago. What remained was makeshift beds, bare mattresses and other crude furniture, alongside graffiti-covered walls and other, less identifiable stains. More of her infantry were in there, engaged in the same sort of clean-up procedures.

One figure dominated the room, a trooper in battle armor that towered over all around it. From the markings on the suit, she could instantly identify who it was. “Captain Khasyanov,” she began with a salute.

“Major Farris,” he replied in kind, his clawed manipulator making for an odd salute.

“At ease,” she nodded. “How did it go?”

The suit looked around before replying. “Flawlessly. Yamashita led us right up to the manor proper without them even knowing we were here. By the time they spotted us, we were on them. There was a short fight and we had to put down the Hover, but that was it.”

“Very good,” she nodded. “And the ’Mech?”

“Didn’t even move,” Khasyanova nodded. “The MechWarrior wasn’t even awake.”

“I’d have thought they would have had someone on standby at least,” she considered. “So what do we have?”

“Besides the captives and a captured Griffin, there’s a stash of small arms and ammunition,” he noted. “And a drug lab in the east wing.”

“Interesting use of an outpost,” she nodded.

“This is no outpost,” Khasyanova countered. “You’re standing in the command headquarters of Preah Khan’s raiders,” he explained.

“It is?” she looked a little confused. “The guy controls two cities. Why would he be hanging out in a dump in the middle of nowhere?”

“You can ask him yourself,” he finished, indicating to another room, one with a soldier standing outside of it. “I was as surprised as you were.”

She stepped into the room in question, finding a single figure waiting. Seated at an old table, his hands cuffed, he did match the intelligence photos of Preah Khan she had been provided with; or at least, he once had. The man seated in the room was wild-eyed, his long hair and thick beard filthy and matted, and was clad in a ragged dressing gown. She didn’t want to know what was underneath that.

“Preah Khan, I presume,” she began as she sat opposite him, the trooper from outside standing behind her.

“Very much so,” he eagerly nodded. “Um, whoever you are.”

“Major Kaitlyn Farris,” she explained. “Commander, Farris Iron Knights. We’re here on behalf of the Esteros Assembly.”

“Well thank god for that,” he all but shouted out. “I humbly surrender to you.”
She frowned a moment. “You seem to be awfully ready to throw yourself on my mercy.”

“Well, you know, you captured me and all that,” he nodded. “So I suppose you’ll ship me back to the capitol for a show trial and stuff.”

“You seem to be very eager.”

“Well, you know,” he glanced nervously around the room. “Jig is up. Game over. I fold. Cash in my chips and go home for the night. Being a warlord was fun and all, but I think I’m ready for a change of career.”

She was beginning to wonder how much of the product from his drug lab had gone straight to him. “I need some information.”

“If it’s all the same to you, I’d rather just save it for the trial,” he grinned. “You know, look good, make it all compelling for the holos. Daring warlord gives up all his secrets and gets a nice, cozy luxury cell for the deal.”

Kaitlyn paused a moment in thought. “I’d love for that to happen, but I can’t guarantee a thing,” she simply stated. “Preah Khan, I am here to bring order to Esteros by any means necessary. And there are parties within the assembly that would see your getting your show trial and prison cell as being... inconvenient.”

“You what?” He blinked.

“Consider this,” she continued. “This facility is under the control of my unit, It would be very easy for us to dispose of an unwanted figure and simply lose the body. With all the losses your troops suffered, what difference would one more make?”

“You wouldn’t...” he trailed off as he nervously looked around.

“But if you were to give up some useful information, I could convince my employers that it would be beneficial to keep you alive,” she explained.

“Well, you know...” Preah Khan nervously jiggled his leg as his eyes continued to dart around. “Yeah, well here’s the thing.”

“Go on.”

“So about a month ago, one of my agents was caught dealing to some of Mandragov’s men,” he explained. “Now Boss Mandragov and I had an arrangement, where my people are free to operate in his turf if I don’t sell to his men. Like, you know, it’s not my fault if he conscripts junkies, right?”

“And Mandragov did not take this well,” Kaitlyn nodded. What little she knew about the warlord suggested that he ruled over his territories and army with an iron fist.

“That would be fair to say,” Khan nodded. “Like, he had my man killed and sent his head back to me, and told me that he was going to gut me and hang me by my own intestines.”

“I see.”

“So you know, I decided that I was going to, you know, run off,” he admitted. “Retreated to this fallback location to lie low and hope that Mandragov didn’t find me.” He glanced nervously over her. “You’re not working for him, are you?”
“You’re alive, so no.”

“No, no, entirely fair,” he held his hands up in front of him.

“So then if you’re here, where’s rest of your army?”

“No idea,” he shrugged. “I kind of took off without really telling them what was going on. Didn’t want to risk security in case they ratted me out to Mandragov.”

“You ruled two cities,” she noted. “Who’s in charge of Narbourne and Metz now?”

“Could be my guys,” he admitted. “Could be Mandragov. Could be anyone, really.”

“I see,” Kaitlyn nodded. “One other question. Where did you get your BattleMechs from?”

“Yeah, well, funny story that,” he admitted.

“I’m listening.”

“A guy rocked up with a DropShip and basically asked me if I wanted to buy some ’Mechs and some other gear,” he explained. “I paid him off in loot from the territories I run. Minerals, gems, stuff I’d stolen from the cities... drugs. Lots of drugs. He seemed happy with that.”

“Did they identify themselves?” She asked. “Were they Clan or Lyrans or what?”

“No idea,” Preah Khan admitted. “But I wasn’t going to ask too hard either. I figured that if I didn’t buy them, then he’d sell them or Mandragov or someone else. So you know, get some ’Mechs or be crushed by them. It was the smart move.”

“I see,” she finished. “Thank you for that. I’ll make arrangements for you.”
“No, thank you,” he nodded. “Thank you for your kindness and generosity and everything. And, if you could please, please, please let your employers know how useful I was, that’d also be great.” The nerves were clear in his voice as he finished, a forced smile on his face.

Kaitlyn stood, heading back outside with the trooper to join Khasyanova. “How did you find him?”

“He was passed out in the master bedroom,” the armored trooper confirmed.
“Surrendered when we pointed our guns at him. The neurohelmet was under the bed. I guess he didn’t want to risk anyone else taking his ’Mech.”

“And your thoughts?” She asked, turning to the soldier who had been with her in the room.

She took of her helmet, shaking out her long, dark hair. “He is genuinely afraid,” Iulia Dragan confirmed. “But he also is telling the truth. I can see it in his heart.”

“So we have an unknown party arming these warlords,” Kaitlyn finished. “This just got a lot more complicated.”

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #232 on: 03 May 2023, 03:45:09 »
Guest chapter by KayEmm

After our unexpected capture of Preah Khan, the Iron Knights had continued to push east, advancing through what had previously been his territory. Without their leader, his small army had splintered, with most of them going to ground. His troops in Narbourne had emptied the city’s treasury and fled, their current location unknown. On the other hand, the small group of holdouts in Metz had no idea what was going on or where their leader was, and surrendered after only a short battle.

The main issue both cities are facing is establishing who is in charge now. Preah Khan removed anyone who was even loosely associated with the Falcons, which created something of a power vacuum once his own people were out of the picture. Making matters worse, nobody wants to put their trust in anyone who held any sort of office during the Falcon occupation, which means that anyone with any real experience in running a city is going to be out of the question. I’ve passed all this along to Graf Kayserling, so he’s aware of the situation that he’s going to inherit and, hopefully, can do something about it.

After a week of silence, we made first contact with Mandragov’s army. Leon’s recon lance made contact with an advance scout force of hovercraft and wheeled vehicles, ironically likely sent to find us. There was a brief skirmish and, while Leon’s lance was outnumbered, they came off the better for it. As expected, the enemy force were poorly coordinated and lacked in practical experience; by his assessment, he suspected that they had never faced actual BattleMechs before.

There was a brief skirmish before the enemy recon force chose to disengage. Leon’s lance suffered only light damage in the engagement. On the other side, the enemy force lost three vehicles that were either disabled or crippled in the field. Unfortunately, by the time we could get a recovery team there, the surviving enemy crews had already either fled or gone to ground, which meant we couldn’t get any intel out of them. However, we learned a lot no less.

Our own recon, as well as the information we’ve gathered, tells us that Mandragov’s forces are holding the city of Baret to the east. They have a substantial force there, roughly equal in terms of numbers to our own. And while they are likely less experienced and cohesive than we are, they also are going to be able to use the city and the terrain to bolster their numbers. I’ll put Iulia and Anton to work to give us whatever advantages we can get.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #233 on: 03 May 2023, 03:51:05 »
Guest chapter by Zogster

Albatross

Low Orbit
Esteros

Deep within the bowels of the Union-X class DropShip Eridu, nestled in a drop cocoon, Lana Kotovski leaned back into her BattleMech’s command couch. She exhaled slowly and let a small smile creep across her face. We’re ready for this, she thought. They knew their objective, had a good estimation of enemy forces, had a layout of the battlefield and had been able to position their transports directly above the OZ without opposition. While the battle was ahead, in her mind the hard part was over.

“Prepare for drop,” came the voice of Ur’s mission controller. Eridu’s sister ship, the venerable Union had served as the Star of Sumer’s command ship for generations and was outfitted for command and control. Lana reached out and danced her hands over the controls, performing her thousandth last-minute check. All systems were green, as they had been for hours. Confirmations rang out from the unit’s BattleMech and battle armour commanders, before Lana added her own.

“We’re on schedule. Beginning countdown. Drop in ten.” As the mission controller counted down the seconds to launch, all was quiet over communications. She knew it wasn’t nerves, but professionalism. Her people were keeping the channels clear for updates or any sudden emergencies. Not that there would be any.

As the seconds counted down, she watched the bay doors open on her monitor. Soon the glittering planet Esteros was spread out beneath her. She forced her hands from the controls and leaned back in the command couch once more. Soon there would be more than enough requiring her attention but for now, all she could do was sit back and enjoy the ride.

“Drop.” The mechanical arms released Lana’s drop cocoon. Already caught in Esteros’ gravity well, the result was immediate. The cocoon plummeted from Eridu’s safety, the multi-thousand ton spacecraft vanishing from sight within seconds. Around her she could see the faint sights of her unit’s ‘Mechs and battle armour, plummeting from both ships towards the planet with her.

Soon enough, the cockpit began to shake. The temperature rose rapidly, and her external view was obscured by the searing red burn. Her drop cocoon had hit the atmosphere and was burning away as she plunged directly through it. Lana had lost count long ago of how many combat drops she had made. It was almost peaceful at this point, satisfied with the knowledge that her fate was outside her hands.

Within moments the heat shields were expended. The cocoon cracked open and ejected from her ’Mech. She watched as the components billowed out and away, lost above her as her ’Mech dropped like a stone. The radio was now full of chatter as different units checked in, each saying the same. Ejection successful, no damage or malfunction to report. She added her own confirmation.

The formation had tightened up as they fell. Looking around, she could make out other familiar sights. Her own lance, clustered close by. Katarina’s Warhammer, Enkidu; companion to her own ’Mech. Jakub’s Shadow Hawk, Princess, surrounded by his own lance. And the numerous other ’Mechs and battle armour that made up her assault force.

They were rapidly approaching the target. She could make out the contours of the mine, nestled atop an ocean-side cliff. It was nearly unassailable from the ground, but a ripe and open target for airborne assault. As she reached for the controls, she could see the Star’s fighter wing already swooping in from afar, softening up the defences.

Now was the time to act. She had picked out her landing site and was on target. In a few moments she would activate the braking thrusters attached to her ’Mech’s back. She gripped the joystick in one hand and held the other over the thruster control, keeping one eye on the landing zone and the other on her countdown. Seconds ticked away until the moment came to fire.

Which is when it all fell apart. She felt more than heard a detonation from her ’Mech’s rear, just as she hit the controls. The BattleMaster was flung off-course, pitching wildly to one side. A quick glance at her monitor showed that one of her thrusters had failed, leaving her plummeting off-course and far too fast towards the broken landscape below.

“Star Actual to all units. Have booster failure. Attempting to land,” Lana managed to call out over the comms as she angled towards a relatively flat target. Her BattleMaster struck hard, one leg coming down on a ledge and slipping, crumbling the rock face beneath it. The 85-ton BattleMech pitched over, tumbling to its side and down the embankment. She desperately flung its arms up to shield the cockpit before it crashed face-down into the mine below.

The cockpit shook with the impact. She bounced almost out of her command couch, snapping into the restraints. He left leg slipped off the foot pedals and crashed into the underside of the console. She felt something give, and a violent jolt of pain shot through her. The restraints snapped back, holding her against the command couch, as the BattleMaster finally came to a standstill.

Fighting through the pain, she slowly came back to her senses. The radio was abuzz with chatter, as much concerned with the battle raging around her as her own condition. She picked out Katarina’s voice in amongst the crowd. “Eye Command to Star Actual. Status. Lana, are you there?”

“I’m here,” she said at length through gritted teeth. She glanced at the map and her status board.

“Damage is minor but I’m isolated.” Her hands flew over the controls and the BattleMaster started to right itself. A grinding noise filled the cockpit as she encountered resistance, her ’Mech struggling to come to its feet. A check on her external monitors identified the problem. “I’m pinned by rubble. Trying to extract myself.”

Proximity sensors rang out, and Lana glanced up at her monitor. A pair of Vedette tanks were picking over the broken terrain towards her. She returned her attention towards the ’Mech’s legs, trying to shift the rubble off them. She cursed inwardly as the tanks drew ever closer, tracking their guns on her ’Mech’s prone form. Before they could fire, a quintet of missiles burst in the air between them, rapidly obscuring their view with thick black smoke.

“Thanks Jakub,” Lana said over the comm. She pressed down hard on the foot pedals, crying out as another spike of pain shot up her leg. She felt something shift on top of the ’Mech, and it swiftly righted itself, pulling itself to its feet. A moment later the two tanks burst through the smoke cloud, firing wildly. Shots went either side of her imposing BattleMech. She returned fire, concentrating everything on the first tank. Particle cannons and missiles slammed into its front, punching through its armour and detonating something from within. The tank vanished into a brilliant fireball.

“Star Actual, this is Comet Recon lead,” Jakub’s voice called out. Lana listened in as she pursued the second Vedette which was backpedalling desperately into the smoke cloud. “Heading for your position.”

“Copy,” she said curtly. The Vedette’s autocannon shells detonated against her BattleMaster’s thick armour, making little difference. She fired another volley, disregarding the massive heat spike. Shots burned across the medium tank, searing strips of armour from its hull. Its shredded treads ground against the broken rocks as it retreated further into the smoke.

Lana pushed through only to be suddenly intercepted. A modified mining ’Mech surged into view as the smoke cloud dissipated. Already at point-blank range, it lunged with a massive diamond-tipped drill. Already caught by surprise, it was all Lana could do to angle her ’Mech’s torso away from the blow, catching it on the already battered arm. However, the industrial ’Mech’s follow-up was more devastating, spraying the BattleMaster from two fluid guns. The caustic spray quickly ignited, sending her assault ’Mech up in flames. The cockpit rang out with heat warnings, and she could feel her ’Mech becoming sluggish and unresponsive.

Forgoing weapons, she swung back with the BattleMaster’s bludgeoning fists. Two mighty blows pounded into the industrial ’Mech’s torso, sending it staggering back a step. She followed up with a volley of short-ranged missiles, detonating almost the moment they left the launcher. Explosions rocked the mining ’Mech’s torso, briefly obscuring it from view. Another spray from its fluid guns washed over her ’Mech, keeping its heat dangerously high.

Before she could respond, another pair of attackers emerged. To her left, the remaining Vedette tank returned to the fore, bringing its autocannon to bear on her once more. At the same time, the boxy form of a Raider BattleMech emerged from behind the mining ’Mech. Both fired at once, slamming her BattleMech with unguided missiles and autocannon fire raining across its bulky form. She struggled against the sluggish controls but found her ’Mech pitching backwards, crashing to the ground and tumbling over onto its side.

Shaken in her cockpit, Lana fought against the pain. It took her a moment to come to her senses and take stock of the situation around her. The BattleMaster had rolled over as it fell, leaving its back to the enemy. It was facing one of the mine’s rock walls, which had a few small shacks set up against it. She could see workers huddled in fear within, with her own ’Mech in a direct line between the enemy’s fire and their minimal shelter.

The trio bore down upon her. She pushed the BattleMaster up on one arm, interposing it directly in the way of the shacks. Alarms rang out as more impacts struck against the ’Mech’s exposed rear. She gritted her teeth and struggled with the controls, trying to keep the ‘Mech steady and the workers’ shacks from harm. The fire abated for a second, and she took a moment to see why.

Two new forms had entered the fray. Jakub’s Shadow Hawk descended from above, scattering more smoke missiles over Lana’s position while simultaneously firing down on the Vedette. His autocannon scattered shot across the already damaged tank, perforating it all over its body. The vehicle seemed to sag in place, leaking fluid across the mine’s floor.

At the same time, Wen’s Nightsky lunged into view, bringing its weighty hatchet down on the mining ‘Mech’s shoulder. The blow ruptured its bulky fuel cannister, which instantly burst into flames. The industrial recoiled, burning all over and tumbling to the ground.

The Raider turned, suddenly outnumbered. It fired its paired missile racks at the Shadow Hawk which almost immediately leapt out of the way. At the same time the Nightsky moved in from its flank, cutting into the ’Mech’s form with an array of lasers. Staggering from the impacts, it tried to maintain its footing while bringing its weapons to bear on its new attacker.

All this allowed Lana to catch it by surprise. She emerged from the smoke cloud foot first, crashing the BattleMaster’s weighty treads right into the ’Mech’s hip. The raider spun with the impact, barely able to turn to face her before catching a full volley of particle cannons in the chest. Artificial lightning impacted on its chest, blowing back and coursing harmlessly across the BattleMaster. The Raider was blown off its feet, crashing down on its back and scattering rocks and debris around it. A final shot from Jakub’s autocannon tore into its exposed structure, puncturing engine and fuel tanks alike. The Raider ground to a halt and lay still.

“You alright?” Jakub said, his voice soft with concern.

Wincing against the pain in her leg, sweating at the steadily decreasing heat in her cockpit and at the same time feeling a righteous fury rising in her, Lana nodded. “All good.” She took a steadying breath, and scanned the terrain. Finding no immediate threats, she turned to the radio.

“Star Actual to all units. What’s our status?”

“Situation is contained,” Katarina’s voice returned. “There’s only minimal resistance left, and they’ve got nowhere to retreat to.”

“Copy that.” Reports from other units came in, confirming Katarina’s statement. As Lana had hoped, the battle had been a straightforward affair. In fact, the only major damage had been suffered by her BattleMaster. ”Give them a chance to surrender. They’re done here and they know it.”

Confirmations rang out. She nodded to Jakub and Wen, who quickly jetted away to join the rest of the battle. Alone for the moment, Lana turned her attention back to the shacks behind her. Despite the masses of weapon fire they remained undamaged, with the occupants seemingly unharmed. She sighed in relief, but cast her eye again over their conditions. While things had settled for the moment, there was more going on here than their employer knew.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #234 on: 03 May 2023, 03:53:26 »
Guest chapter by Zogster

Night Lights

Chort
Alwaid Continent
Esteros

If Alwaid had a wealthy region, it would have been the city of Chort. Sprawling across coastal hills, its combination of luxurious beaches and perpetual sunshine had attracted only the wealthiest of buyers. And while the beaches were barely used due to Esteros’ punishing ultraviolet radiation, the glittering ocean beyond made for perfect views for the mansions and elaborate estates that had quickly lined the coast. Anyone rich and influential on Alwaid – and many from Esteros beyond – had their own beach house on Chort.

Of course, when everything fell apart, this same wealth had attracted the worst of Esteros. And so it was that Bashiban Olegi, Warlord of Esteros had marshalled his troops to one of the wealthiest cities on the planet and taken up residence by force.

That it was close to a handy chokepoint for transportation from nearby mines didn’t hurt either.

Bashiban leaned back in the luxurious waterbed left by its former occupant. The man had apparently become famous for his reinterpretations of epic Star League poetry into ultra-violent thrillers. Bashiban wasn’t much for cinema, but he would admit the man had great taste in homes. From here, he could see out over the long white beach and to the ocean beyond, reflecting only the pale light of Esteros’ three moons.

He smiled to himself. Things had been good since he set up here. Oh, he was minor league as warlords went, but he knew it and was happy with that position. All he’d had to do was convince Mandragov it was cheaper to pay for access to the mines than to wipe him out, and he was set. That his forces were guarding the pass certainly helped. He didn’t much like Mandragov and his rhetoric, but had to admit he was a shrewd businessman.

Not that it had been particularly hard to move in. The place had been all but emptied out by the Jade Falcon occupiers, then abandoned once again when they left. Someone called the Free Guilds had apparently maintained it for whatever reason, but all that meant was that wealth luxury had awaited him and his men with no resistance.

Of course, in these uncertain times, he had provided security. As well as the forces securing passage to the mines, he had units scattered throughout the hills around Chort. Nobody would be able to approach undetected. He glanced out at his pride and joy parked on the manor’s lawn. His personal BattleMech, an Avatar that had been supplied by his backers. While he’d had little chance to use it yet, he just loved the feeling of power that came from its dual heavy particle cannons. It felt like nothing on Esteros could stand up to him. Now he could just lean back and revel in his comfort. What more was there to do?

His brows furrowed, suddenly unsettled. Had he seen something out there in the dead of night? He sat up and peered out onto his beach. The waves were crashing lazily on the glittering sand as always. He could see an encampment of soldiers out on the beach, lounging long into the night. And yet something else was…

The moment it struck him, it was too late. The ocean erupted, with a quartet of massive forms emerging from the depths. It took him a moment to take stock of exactly what he was seeing. Two of them, a Longbow and Bandersnatch opened up with a myriad of long-range missiles, arcing up and over his manor, lighting up the night sky. He felt as much as heard the impacts from around his estate. A Helios let loose with flights of short-range missiles which burst in mid-air, scattering flaming gel across his troops. He watched in horror as his men vanished in the ensuing inferno.

Finally at their lead a towering Gunslinger paused and took deliberate aim. Bashiban leapt from the bed, his silken robe flapping around him as he ran for the patio door, desperate to escape. He flung open the sliding glass door just as the ‘Mech fired. Even from this distance, the sonic boom of the twin gauss rifles was deafening. They struck with terrifying precision, punching through the Avatar’s recessed cockpit, carving it clean out of the torso. The heavy BattleMech collapsed backwards, crushing a wing of the manor under it.

The ground shook with the impact. Bashiban stumbled as he ran, tripping over a plush recliner and collapsing to his hands and knees. He scurried forwards for a moment before picking himself up. But suddenly there was nowhere to run. The four BattleMechs loomed over him. From all around, he heard the sounds of chaos. Yelling. Explosions. Fires crackled in the distance, bringing burning smells to his nose. He stopped dead in his tracks, staring up at the barrel-like form of the Gunslinger.

A woman’s voice boomed from the BattleMech, seemingly more amused than anything else. “Former warlord of Esteros,” she announced. “Surrender.”
What more was there to do?

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #235 on: 03 May 2023, 03:56:00 »
Guest chapter by KayEmm

Uninvited Guests

DropShip Red Son
Alakaid, Esteros

The Iron Knights had no real field uniforms as such. Usually members of the unit wore whatever they had which was rugged and functional enough for field use, accented with the unit’s badge for the simple sake of identification. Despite that, Kaitlyn couldn’t help but feel self-conscious about her rough fatigues as the image of Graf Kayserling flickered to life on the situation room’s holotable. If Iulia and Leon, who were also present, had any concerns however, they did not show it.

“Graf Kayserling,” Kaitlyn began with a polite nod. “It is a pleasure to speak to you again.”

“As it is for me too,” He replied. “However, I wish it were under better circumstances.”

The immediately tensed up, as if bracing herself for action. “What has happened?”

“Two days ago a JumpShip entered the system,” he explained. “It used a pirate jump point to get as close to the world as possible.”

She nodded as she considered the development. “Which means that they probably were not here for anything legitimate. I assume they deployed ships?”

“They did,” he confirmed, the holographic image nodding in confirmation. “Two vessels, however they used the moons to conceal their approach for as long as possible.”

“We’re looking at some reasonably skilled crews here,” Leon suggested. “Between the pirate point and the run around the moons, I would wager that they’re experienced raiders and used to getting into a system where they’re not wanted.”

“Unfortunately, our lack of aerospace assets meant we couldn’t intercept them,” Kayserling admitted. “We lost track of them as they descended over eastern Alakaid.”

“Which means our own fighters probably wouldn’t have been able to get to them either,” Kait admitted as she bought up a map of the continent. “I assume they made no attempt to identify themselves.”

“They did not,” Kayserling confirmed.

“I see,” she tapped her chin in thought. “Thank you for that, Graf Kayserling.”

“Of course. If we learn anything else, we will let you know.” He finished. “Until then, farewell and good luck.” He gave a sharp salute, which she promptly responded to before the image flickered out.

“Pretty nice of the Graf to personally deliver the bad news,” Leon commented.

“Maybe he’s concerned about his employees,” she offered. “Especially given that we’re the ones who are trying to pull the planet back together.”

“And it’s nothing to do with the fact that he’s trying to marry his son off to you, of course,” Leon added. Behind him, Iulia chuckled.

It was all Kait could do not to roll her eyes and instead focus on the situation. “Any thoughts as to who they are?”

“Well if it helps, I don’t think it’s the Falcons returning for their world,” Leon suggested. “They would have announced who they were and what they were doing.”

“I’ll take your word on that,” she admitted. While she had done a lot of study on Clan tactics and combat, it was all theoretical for the moment. It was one of the areas where Leon had far more experience than she did. Still, the idea that the Jade Falcons, or some other Clan, could attack at any time was lurking in her thoughts. Putting that aside, she considered other options. “I don’t think it’s Madragov’s mysterious suppliers either.”

“What makes you say that?”

She pulled up an image of Esteros and its three moons. “It sounds like an awfully risky manoeuvre to pull with cargo DropShips,” Kait offered. “I can’t imagine that many merchantmen would want to run their engines that hard either.”

“Probably not,” Leon agreed. “Besides which, if they were supplying Mandragov, you’d think they’d make a run for the middle of his territory, not the end.”

“This is also true,” she agreed as she zoomed the map in on the Alakaid continent. “Mandragov’s forces hold the centre, but we’re not sure how far into the east he’s extended his reach.”

“There are mines out there,” Iulia noted.

“There are mines everywhere on this continent,” Leon added.

“This is true, but there are more,” she continued as she poked a part of the display, her finger passing through the image. “This area along the coast is built up; it has the second largest city on the continent. Or at least it was before. It also is conveniently cut off,” the traced an arc around the eastern peninsula. “The mountains here are rugged and volcanic. It would be a good place to hide something.”

“And how are the ley lines?” Leon joked.

Iulia shrugged. “I have not read them yet.” Her tone was cool, to the point that it was hard to tell if she was joking or sincere.

“So what do you think?” Kait asked. “Pirates?”

“It sounds like what we used to do,” Iulia spoke up. “Jump in close to a system and use whatever cover we could to shield us.” She glanced between the pair of them. “Balance the risks of navigational hazards against being intercepted.”

“I assume that this is before you were with the Iron Knights,” Leon noted.

“It was,” she agreed with a finality that suggested that nothing more was coming.

Leon looked over the map. “It’s basically a pirate’s dream. An isolated, mineral rich area on a world with no central authority and no chance of response from a nearby system.”

“But we can’t assume that they’re just going to stay holed up in their little corner,” Kait added.

“We can’t, no,” Leon agreed.

She glanced over the map. “And the Screaming Demons still aren’t accounted for,” she added. “All we know is that they haven’t left the planet, which means that they could be anywhere.”

“Which gives us two renegade forces to deal with,” Leon offered. “Because, you know, this wasn’t a complete mess already.”

“Fantastic,” Kaitlyn finished as she looked over the map again. “I suppose the odds are that, if nothing else, they’re going to be hostile to Mandragov.”

“I’d take that,” Leon nodded. “So what’s the plan?”

“We still have a contract,” Kaitlyn stated. “And for the moment, this force, whoever they are, still are half a continent away from us. We proceed with caution and do what we can to find out who these newcomers are and what they want.” She nodded to herself. “And who knows? They may be inclined to just leave us alone.”

“Do you really think that?” Leon asked.

“Well no,” she admitted. “But I can hope.”
« Last Edit: 23 July 2023, 01:06:29 by Deadborder »

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #236 on: 03 May 2023, 04:07:11 »
Guest chapter by KayEmm

Emergence

Tirana, Alwaid
Esteros

In the few months since he had acquired it from his mysterious benefactors, Dimitri Mandragov had become rather fond of his Titan BattleMech. It was not just that it felt good to be back in the cockpit after a decade, but also the acknowledgement of the sheer power the ’Mech represented. At the moment, he was the most powerful man on the continent, but the BattleMech served as a physical manifestation of that power; a hundred tons of machinery that could be used to impose his will.

Officially, he took the ’Mech out for regular practice runs to help familiarise himself with it while also ensuring that his skills had not slipped too far after a decade of no being used. In reality, he simply did it because it felt good.

He had been getting ready for another one of his practice runs when he had been interrupted by an urgent message from Tansel Sayyid, the closest thing he had to a second. He knew that whatever it was would be important, which angered him for two reasons. The first was that his own private empire was under threat from mercenaries sent specifically to eliminate him, and this was likely some new development of that ongoing situation. The second was that he had been denied a chance to go out in his BattleMech.

He marched into his situation room and glared at the two officers present. “What is it now?” Mandragov asked, his tone one of barely contained frustration.

“A pair of DropShips,” Tansel Sayyid confirmed. “They came down over Ludow and executed a combat drop on our mine there.”

“Hm, that was Captain Zhu’s assignment,” he considered as he looked over a holographic map of the continent. “What is his status?”

“We don’t know, sir,” Sayyid admitted.

“What do you mean?” His eyes narrowed.

“Contact was lost after the initial combat drop, but the reports we got indicated at least a company of BattleMechs,” she explained. “Given that there was a second DropShip behind it, we can only assume they had armor support.”

“I see,” he considered.

“After that at best we got were fragments,” she continued. “Our forces at the mine were outnumbered and under fire from what appears to be a well-coordinated force. They moved quickly to eliminate our command elements and secure the site”

“So probably not pirates then,” he nodded. “This sounds far too professional for that.”

“That was my assessment as well,” she agreed.

“And our forces?”

“They appear to have lost cohesion and fled,” Sayyid noted. “We’re still trying to regain contact with them and assess their losses, but we can take it as a reasonable assumption that the attackers have chosen to hold the mine complex.” There as a pause. “At this point we have to assume that Zhu is either dead or otherwise incapacitated,” she added.

“Hopefully they killed him,” Mandragov considered. “Far less of an intelligence risk that way.”

“Agreed,” Sayyid nodded.

“Can you tell me anything else about them?”

“They weren’t sent by the Esteros Assembly,” Gordan Romic spoke up. During the Clan occupation, he had been a part of the underground black market, giving him considerable connections across the world. Now he was the closest thing Mandragov had to a spymaster “My sources tell me that they have not hired more mercenaries, and that they were as surprised by this arrival as the last one.”

“Which means that they may not be allied with any of our other intruders,” he considered.

“This is true, but they also share a common enemy in us,” Romic added.
He looked over the map again. “So this now makes three hostile forces on Alwaid.” One icon was hovering over the city of Baret; a sword over a black and red shield. “The mercenaries sent by the assembly,” he considered. “What is their status?”

“They are still engaged with Captain van der Kriel’s forces in Baret,” Sayyid explained. “His last report indicated that he had fallen back to the district capitol.”
Mandragov gave a very quiet, barley audible growl before continuing, fully aware of the implication in the report. “And this group here,” he looked at the second icon in the far east. “Their status?”

“After they seized Chort they have been relatively quiet. They have made some probing attacks on our holdings but nothing beyond that,” Romic noted.
“However, that does seem to be in advance of a more aggressive action. They have clearly made themselves at home, and look like they intend to expand their holdings.”

“That was Olegi’s territory,” Mandragov considered. “Do we have any idea what happened to his forces?”

“From what we can tell, they folded with very little effort,” Romic stated. “These newcomers probably folded them in to their own forces.”

“I would not imagine that worm would put up much of a fight,” Mandragov muttered. Olegi had largely remained untouched because of the distance to his holdings and the geographical barriers in the way. “And the renegade mercenaries?”

“We have had limited contact with them,” Romic admitted. “They have been largely operating in the unclaimed territory to the south, but are avoiding contact with our forces.” The icon representing them was faded, indicating a last known location. “So far they have not taken any hostile actions against us.”

He looked over the map. “So far, all three forces are isolated from each other. We outnumber any one of them,” Mandragov noted, “but our forces are scattered over a wide area. They can pick us off piecemeal and wear us down.”

“The extent of our holdings works against us,” Sayyid noted.

“Exactly,” He agreed, looking over the map. “Order van der Kriel to abandon Baret and pull back. I do not want to lose men now to adventurism and pointless battles.” He glanced up at those assembled. “Romic, I want you to get me as much information as we can on these other two forces. If we can concentrate our army and eliminate one of them, that will improve the situation.”

“Understood.”

Mandragov looked over the map. “See if you can reach out to those rogues as well. Maybe we can buy them off.”

“Good idea,” he nodded. “Any restrictions on what I should offer them?”

“Whatever it takes,” Mandragov considered. “Preferably gems or minerals, however. I would rather not give up any of our ammunition and supplies when we need them the most.”

“Understood.”

Mandragov looked over the map again. “This is my world. I am not going to give it up now.”

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #237 on: 05 May 2023, 19:08:11 »
Guest chapter by Zogster

Rest Stop

DropShip Ur
Alwaid
Esteros

“An albatross?” Katarina asked incredulously.

Cecilia Mars, the Star of Sumer’s diminutive medical chief shrugged at her. “Well, local large seabird equivalent,” she added.

Katarina sighed and glanced around. Just beyond them, Lana Kotovski, sat up in a bed on the Ur’s medical bay. Her lower left leg was in a protective casing and suspended above her. And, no doubt against the doctor’s orders, she was going over numerous reports on a datapad.

“So let me get this right.” Katarina pinched the bridge of her nose as she repeated the technician’s report. “On descent, at the precise moment she fired up her braking thrusters, a large seabird just happened to be flying over the mine and got caught in the rocket, destroying it.”

“Yes. Million to one chance.” They looked at each other each no doubt thinking the exact same thing. “Don’t say it,” Cecilia cut in before Katarina could comment, somehow glaring down at her despite their height difference.

Katarina raised her hands in surrender. “Just… glad it wasn’t worse.”

“That’s what I thought,” Cecilia replied, folding her arms across her chest.

“So how bad is it?” Katarina asked, glancing at Lana’s leg.

“Could be worse, really. Clean break, low down. She keeps off her leg, gets plenty of rest and it’ll heal up fine in no time.”

“If she keeps off it…” Katarina repeated, cautiously.

“That’s your job,” Cecilia said. “Because she thinks she’s going right back into action.”

“No,” Katarina simply stated. “Not happening.”

“Yeah, good luck with that,” Ceclia muttered and stepped past her. Katarina shook her head and strolled up to the bed where Lana lay.

“How you holding up?” she gently asked her commander.

Lana gave a wry smile and gestured at the casing. “Fine, considering,” she said. “I’ve been through worse.”

Yeah, all while piloting that… Katarina refused to finish the thought, instead focusing on her friend. “Cecilia says you should be fine if you stay off that leg.”

“I’d like to,” Lana replied, “But we may not have the chance.”

Katarina furrowed her brow in confusion. “We’ve done the major part of the contract. All we’ve got to do is hold down the fort for a while and get paid.”

Lana shook her head, her smile fading. “No, it’s bigger than that.” She put aside the datapad and looked up at Katarina. “I’ve been getting situational reports from across the continent. Apparently this mine is just one holding of a major warlord who’s got forces everywhere.”

“Then we’ve got to hold him off for a while,” Katarina replied. “Intel says there’s no major transport assets on world and we definitely have air superiority. This mine could be a fortress.”

“But they’ll just retake it when we’re gone. If we don’t do something about this warlord, then our employer will lose the mine again it this job will all have been for nothing.”

“That’s… the employer’s problem.” Katarina shrugged. “Okay, so the situation’s not quite what we thought it was, but that doesn’t change the scope of our contract. We’re not getting paid to go any further than this.”

“Pay shouldn’t be a problem.” Lana glanced briefly at the datapad. “According to this, we made a killing in salvage, and with what we know of their forces our damage should be minimal. We outweigh and outclass most everything on the planet.”

“Assuming our intel’s correct and everything goes right.” Katarina couldn’t help but glance at the casing on Lana’s leg once more. “Besides, we’ve got a set duration here, and who knows how long such a campaign could take.”

“Well we can make an impact on his forces in that time, at least.” Lana replied. “Strike his supply bases, loosen his grip on this continent. Give the locals more of a fighting chance.”

“And stretch ourselves out,” Katarina said. “You’d be splitting up the unit, probably leaving no more than a skeleton force here. That could leave us vulnerable, and cost us a lot in a counterattack.”

“I’m drawing up plans for our deployment. I figure if-“

“Look, I’m sorry, but no.” Katarina held up her hands. “I know you’re the commander, but as your XO I can’t agree with this and I can guarantee Isaías will be with me.” She gave Lana a soft smile, and gently reached out to take her hand. “I know you want to help. But it’s beyond us. Really.” Katarina sighed and shook her head. “Think of this as a chance to get some rest and heal up, okay? Because you really don’t do that enough.” When Lana didn’t reply, Katarina nodded and turned for the door.

“They had slaves,” Lana said softly behind her. “They’re being shipped off-world.”

Deflating, Katarina knew she’d lost. She couldn’t argue any further, and if she was being honest, she wouldn't want to. She turned back to see her friend’s hopeful smile beaming from the medical bed. Katarina took a moment to find her words, eventually just saying “Alright. Fine. But you’re staying here.”

“Yes ma’am,” Lana replied, smiling from ear to ear.

“I mean it,” Katarina said, and turned to leave once more. She shook her head in dismay, partly for agreeing to this nonsense and partly at her commander’s earnest reply. Lana cared too much. And somehow, Katarina knew it would get her killed.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #238 on: 05 May 2023, 19:21:01 »
Guest chapter by KayEmm

Downtown

Baret, Alwaid
Esteros

In many ways, Johan van der Kriel had been relieved when his commander had been killed.

Three days ago, their forces had made contact with a mercenary unit that had apparently been hired to bring Warlord Madragov to heel. Major Georgio Fumetti had led his troops in a straight-up charge on the enemy line, hoping to overwhelm them with the sheer weight of numbers. That charge had ended with his Verfolger taking a PPC hit straight through its cockpit.

Johan had immediately taken control of the situation and done his best to salvage it. Realizing just how outclassed his forces were and how poorly they were managing without their commander, he’d ordered them to pull back into Baret proper and consolidate. Few had been willing to argue with his taking over the force, given what had just happened.

It didn’t hurt that in the short time that he’d known Fumetti, Johan had come to dislike the man on a number of levels. He had been one of Madragov’s loyalists, promoted because the warlord trusted him and not because of any ability. And since somebody had seen fit to assign the man a BattleMech, he’d taken to lording over everyone around him like he was some demigod. Quietly, Johan had wondered if his plan hadn’t been based on delusions of grandeur more than any tactical reasoning.

“Status?” He called out over the command channel from the cupola of his Patton tank. It was sitting in the middle of a patch of scrubby purple parkland outside the brutalist concrete block that was Baret’s administrative capitol, in among the other tanks and BattleMechs of what was now his force.

The reply was a chorus of all-clear reports, which concerned him. He knew that the enemy were aiming to liberate Baret, and would have to come after him sooner or later in order to achieve that objective. In order to prepare for that eventuality, he’d set booby traps and mines along the most likely approaches to the city centre, as well as set up pickets to report on enemy movements. While he didn’t expect those traps to stop the enemy, he figured that they would at least slow them and give him time to respond.

But all of that depended on the enemy actually appearing, which so far they had not done.

“Contact!” a voice called out over the command network. “Multiple enemy BattleMechs in grid Echo-Nine.”

“What?” he all but snapped as he glanced down at his display. By that report, the enemy force were coming from the north, having picked their way through the city’s dense industrial district. He had discounted the approach simply because it was so cluttered and overbuilt that it would be difficult at best for the enemy force to make their way through it. Not only would they have to deal with the terrain, but they would become strung out and be forced to advance in narrow files rather than a broad front.

Either their commander is insane or they have some skilled pathfinders, he considered as several red indicators appeared on the display. “All units, enemy forces approaching from the north!” he called out. The Patton’s driver was already responding, turning the tank to face the oncoming enemy force. “Prepare to engage!”

A pair of enemy BattleMechs leapt over a row of buildings, taking long-range shots at his forces. A moment later, flights of long-ranged missiles arced overhead before crashing down among his lines. “Fire!” he called out over the tank’s internal network, with the response coming a moment later from the roar of the Patton’s artillery cannon. The shot sailed towards one of the two ’Mechs, only narrowly missing it and instead impacting into a nearby building.

More of the enemy were now emerging, with a force of BattleMechs either jumping or simply walking in from the north. They were accompanied by a flight of VTOLs skimming over the roofs of the nearby buildings, while hovertanks came at their flanks. His own forces wheeled around to engage, having been prepared for their enemy taking an entirely different approach.

Long-range weapons fire flew between the two forces. An enemy Griffin lashed out with its PPC and missiles, tearing into a Vedette tank by Johan’s side. His artillery cannon scored a measure of vengeance, smashing into the Griffin’s side, staggering the ’Mech but not knocking it down.

A Starslayer stepped forward to aid him, only to be blasted by a pair of PPC shots that tore into its chest. As the BattleMech tried to rise, another pair of shots followed up, ripping its weapon arm apart. Johan could immediately see the source of the attacks; a Warhammer IIC and Marauder emerging from cover, advancing on his lines, the latter of which was clad in a distinct red and black scheme.

“One of those has to be their commander!” He called out. “Concentrate fire!”
A Marsden tank rolled forwards, only to be immediately pummelled by two flights of missiles from a Catapult. The damaged tank had no chance to recover, instead being torn apart by a Hunchback’s autocannon. To one side, he saw a Schildkrote try to bring its guns to bear on a pair of fast-moving Pegasus hovertanks, its shots instead going wide as the enemy vehicles peppered it with missiles.

“Bunch of bloody amateurs,” he muttered. “Target the Warhammer and take it out!”

The artillery cannon struck home, the shell smashing into the assault BattleMech’s leg; the follow-up Thunderbolt smashed into one arm, but neither shot seemed to stop it. The Warhammer’s response was to open fire again on the damaged Starslayer, its twin PPCs tearing its right side apart. The Starslayer crashed down hard to the pavement, its flank little more than burning wreckage.

At its side, the Marauder turned its attention towards his tank. Its twin PPCs led the assault, smashing armor from the front and side of the Patton’s hull. A cloud of pellets from its autocannon further rattled the tank, an alarm going off inside the cockpit. “What the bloody hell is going on?”

“Main gun is out of action.” The Gunner reported. “Trying to fix it now.”

Johan looked over the battlefield, seeing the Marauder continuing to advance. “Back up!” He called out, the driver immediately responding. The Patton lurched backwards, another shot from its Thunderbolt launcher covering it as it went. He felt the lurch as the tank ground its way up the stairs to the city hall. “Keep going!”

“But-“ the driver objected.

“Just bloody well do it!” He snapped. Moments later there was a small impact as the tank backed through the front of the city hall, taking shelter inside its oversized lobby.

“Main gun is green!” The Gunner yelled.

“Good. Keep firing!”

The artillery cannon roared again, the shot landing between the Warhammer and Marauder, splashing both with debris. His Thunderbolt and lasers found more success, smashing into the Warhammer’s upper torso, but doing little to stop the heavy machine.

Clearly aware of what had happened, the Marauder turned to face him, its twin PPCs unleashing a storm of artificial lightning. As he had hoped, the building caught the brunt of the assault, leaving his Patton’s armor scorched but not breached. For its part, the Warhammer seemed to be focusing its attention elsewhere. It was a small relief, but he would take it.

“Keep backing up!” He ordered. The Patton lurched backwards, continuing to smash its way through the building in its backwards manoeuvring. He could feel every knock against its hull as it hit and then crushed whatever it found on the way before smashing out through the back side of the building. It was one of those advantages he was going to take; while his tank had left a trail of destruction behind it, it would be nothing compared to what the Marauder would need to do in order to chase him.

“Do we have a firing solution on anything?” He called out.

“Uh... confirmed,” the gunner replied.

“High-arc ballistic shot,” he ordered. Moments later, both the cannon and Thunderbolt launcher pivoted upwards, their shots arcing over the building. He had no idea if they had hit anything on the other side, but he’d take it if they had.

An incoming message indicator grabbed his attention. “This is van der Kriel,” he replied, shouting over the sound of the battle around him.

“This is Major Sayyid,” the voice on the other end of the line began, audible despite the crackle of enemy jamming. “You are to abandon Baret immediately.”

“That,” he considered, “is the best bloody news I've heard all day.”

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #239 on: 05 May 2023, 19:24:06 »
Guest chapter by Zogster

After Market

Chort, Alwaid
Esteros

As the blazing sun rose above the horizon, Violetta Vujic gave a languid, feline stretch. It had been a long night, but very profitable. She looked out over the burnt and shattered remains of Chort, less a functional city as it was a play-pen for the rich and powerful. Well, at least it was before the Jade Falcons showed up. She took a small amount of comfort imagining the wealthy elite being dragged away by Clan oppressors.

Peering out onto the horizon, beyond the renovations they’d made with their BattleMech’s weapons, she could spot two new additions to the landscape. The first was the Toquemada, their old Union DropShip now parked on a freeway nearby. The second was an ever-growing plume of thick black smoke growing out in the distance. She thumbed her communicator over to a particular channel and raised it to her lips.

“Rickie, is that your handiwork I see in the distance?”

The reply came immediately, accompanied by a chuckle. “That is what’s left of Olegi’s roadside guards. Your little pet located them for us, so me and the boys decided to have a cook-off.”

“Nice work. Any problems?” she asked.

“I mean, Karloff’s concerned by the long-term environmental impact of…” he trailed off into a deep, resounding guffaw. “Aw, I can’t even finish that.”

“I’ll take that as a no,” Violetta said with a smile. “Head on in, boys. There’s plenty to divvy up.”

“Ooh yeah. Leave some for me.”

With that, Violetta cut off the line. She paused a while, seeing a luxurious hovercar approaching. As it came towards her, she took a while to survey their success. Her troops had spread out from the DropShip and were busy pulling everything that wasn’t nailed down from the opulent homes amongst the hills. By now, she was sure nobody would miss it.

The hovercar pulled up alongside her at the entrance to the former warlord’s estate. She could see the portly face of their employer’s representative, Demos through the tinted window. Violetta leaned down and tapped on the window, which Demos immediately lowered.

“Found yourself a new ride?” she asked.

“Just sitting untouched in someone’s garage. Took a bit of tweaking to get going, but I’ve had some experience boosting autos back home,” he replied.

Violetta nodded her approval. “Nice ride?”

High sighed, grasped the steering wheel, seemed to compose his thoughts for a second and said “I’ve had better.”

Violetta couldn’t help but chuckle. “Sun’s up. Better get inside,” she said, gesturing to the scarf she’d wrapped around his head.

“With you there.” Demos raised the door and all but bounded out of the car, making a beeline for the manor’s entryway. He held his satchel over his head all the way, while Violetta slowly followed behind. Soon enough they were inside, behind the polarised windows. Violetta took a moment to unwind her head scarf and leave it by the door.

“So, I imagine our employer will be pleased?” she asked as the pair started through the hallways. While the city had been opened up for her troops to plunder as they pleased, Violetta had rightly assumed that Bashiban Olegi had already acquired the best it had to offer for himself. And so his former manor was now left for her command staff to take from as they would.

“Well…no.” Violetta cocked an eyebrow at the shorter man. “I had a chat with our former warlord, and it turns out he wasn’t the one we’re after.”

“But he was holding those mines,” Violetta replied as she snatched a bottle off a side-table in passing.

“Just those mines,” Demos said as they rounded a corner into the master bedroom. Jackson was standing by a large painting, lost in thought as he examined it while Maeve stood half-in the cavernous wardrobe, rifling through its compartments.

“Turns out the man was allied with a bigger fish named Dimitri Mandragov. He’s the guy who holds all the power on Alwaid.”

Violetta scowled at him for a moment. She wasn’t a big fan of surprises, especially when they meant more risk for her unit. Before she could reply however, Jackson called out “Safe” and lifted the large painting before him off the wall. As he’d reported, it exposed a grey metal safe built into the wall.

“Ah, the classics!” Demos said, rubbing his hands with enthusiasm. Before anyone else could respond, he scooted up to the safe. Jackson stood aside, letting him examine the mechanism. “Now this is old, old school. Purely mechanical I’ll bet. Got some advantages in keeping it hidden, but that also means that an expert can crack it easily.”

“Never a safecracking expert around when you need one,” Maeve said, stepping up alongside Violetta. Rather than reply, Demos took a bow then pressed his ear up against the metal.

“He’s not serious, is he?” Maeve looked over at her commander, noting her sour expression. “What’s wrong?”

“Job’s bigger than we thought,” Violetta replied. “This guy was just small fry.”

“Oh dear. You’ll have to get your hands dirty,” Maeve replied, her voice dripping sarcasm.

Without even looking at her, Violetta handed off the bottle she’d found. Maeve glanced down at it and cooed “Ooh, nice,” before wandering off.

“I don’t like it when contracts change,” Violetta said to Demos.

He held up a finger even as he delicately worked the safe’s tumbler. “It hasn’t changed, we’re just working off newer intel. Besides, as it expands I’m sure you’ll find more…” He trailed off, before a satisfied smirk crossed his face. With a flourish, he flicked down the handle and pulled the door open. A wealth of jewellery all but spilled out before them.

“...opportunities,” he finished with a bow.

Violetta rolled her eyes. She glanced over at Maeve who met her gaze with a smug look. “Shut up,” she said back at her company commander, before turning back to Demos.

“Fine. But this had better pay off,” Violetta said.

The former safecracker and carjacker nodded to her and, flashing a smile, said “Trust me.”

« Last Edit: 23 July 2023, 01:06:52 by Deadborder »