Author Topic: Cutting of the bases of Plastic Mechs  (Read 3578 times)

Deathjester

Cutting of the bases of Plastic Mechs
« on: 12 April 2011, 09:40:28 »
Does anyone have a neat tip or know of a decent tool to remove the Bases off the Introductory Plastic Miniatures.

I have tried clippers, Xacto knife and even a little hacksaw but at the mo making a right pigs ear or things.

Humansquish

• Master Sergeant
Re: Cutting of the bases of Plastic Mechs
« Reply #1 on: 12 April 2011, 11:44:59 »
I haven't done it but I would use a pair of cutters to remove the bulk of it, then use the exacto knife to flush up the feet.
"Oh no. They've made FASAfizzicks in reality. We're doomed."-Dread Moores

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 12 April 2011, 12:22:51 »
I assume you want to mount them on a full sized hex? In that case, I would take your sawand rather then cutting off the mech at it's feet, cut the base in half so that it will sit in the recessed part of the hex base hapilly.
We are Clan Snow Raven. Masters of the void, and reapers of your souls

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

Trigger

• Corporal
    • TheAgencyStar
« Reply #3 on: 18 April 2011, 22:24:44 »
I got my bases and they are awesome.  Took out my dremel and cut out 8 mechs and used some Liquid Nails glue to fill in the hex and adhere it to the base.  Now I have to wait for drying time and then primer them.  I think these turned out great and was pretty easy to do.  Got them very flush with the hex base which is the look I was going for.  Here's a couple pics so far.

« Last Edit: 18 April 2011, 22:33:50 by Trigger »

saintbrandon

• Sergeant
  • Brandon "Icarus" Taylor
« Reply #4 on: 03 May 2011, 09:03:20 »
Looks good trigger, I was wondering what I would do for this as well, now you have made up my mind :), thanks
Don't try to tell me how some power can corrupt a person
You havn't had enough to know what it's like
You're only angry 'cause you wish you were in my position
Now nod your head because you know that I'm right, all right

Psyckosama

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 07 May 2011, 19:53:52 »
I took a razor saw to the bases after putting them in my table vice

Trigger

• Corporal
    • TheAgencyStar
« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2011, 13:39:48 »
I thought the plastic bases turned out pretty good.

ASN-21 ASSASSIN

ISD

• Master Sergeant
    • Project Mumblings
« Reply #7 on: 15 May 2011, 03:06:40 »
Very good looking outcome :)
Clan Jade Falcon
Gamma Galaxy
3rd Falcon Talon Cluster

MistWolf

• Master Sergeant
  • Have Gauss, Will Travel
« Reply #8 on: 31 May 2011, 15:48:06 »
Cut the base from around the feet, then use a file to remove what's left, then clean up the edges. I've been doing it this way on metal mechs for years to mount them on flat metal hexes
Obviously jumping into close proximity of a supernova is not going to be good for your warranty

"House Davion, soon after its inception, established itself as a force for freedom in the Inner Sphere. Again, though, this is a relative term. House Davion does not support the Communist, hippie, let’s-all-take-care-of-each-other kind of freedom. No. They have always worked more along the lines of the we-will-occasionally-need-to-invade-your-nation-because-you-don’t-strike-us-as-freedom-loving-enough kind of freedom. To their credit, House Davion leaders occasionally mention the concept of “freedom” as a positive thing, which puts them a ways ahead of peer, say, House Liao and House Kurita" -Battlerun- Best Ever

Technoviking

• Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 08 July 2011, 19:29:40 »
It looks in the 1st pictures asif you trimmed the current base and pressed it in the Hex base.  Is that what correct or did you cut them at the feet level, and glue them to some metal base, or is that the "liquid nails" inside the hex?  Where did you get the hexes by the way?