Author Topic: Laser range extension module  (Read 523 times)

Izzy193

• Warrant Officer
Laser range extension module
« on: 27 January 2024, 08:49:20 »
The laser Range Extension Module, is an addon module for inner sphere standard, pulse, Er and X-pulse lasers. it does this by increasing the amount of power going into the laser or pulse laser regardless of inner sphere sub-type by 20%. Basically an adaptation of power amplifier technology for use with laser tech specifically.

That has a simple trade off, +4 more heat for +4 more range on top of the base laser. if the module suffers a critical hit, the laser is unaffected but it can no longer benefit from the 20% range extension. each Module weights one ton and takes up two critical slots in a mech/fighter or one vehicle space in a vehicle. each module costs 200,000 C-bills per unit. range and heat increase if calculated by rounding down decimal numbers to the nearest whole number.

so it could be similar to below:

Laser range extension module:
Heat: +4
Range: +4 range(all brackets)
Tonnage: 1 ton
Critical slots: 2
Applicable to: Any IS laser

So what do you think? need tweaking at all?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Laser range extension module
« Reply #1 on: 27 January 2024, 09:08:42 »
I think the +4 to short range is unbalancing.  I'd go more with +1 or +2 (at most) to Short range, double that at Medium, and triple at Long (and x4 at Extreme, of course).

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 27 January 2024, 16:22:45 »
I think the +4 to short range is unbalancing.  I'd go more with +1 or +2 (at most) to Short range, double that at Medium, and triple at Long (and x4 at Extreme, of course).

OR just a flat +2 to range.. So a MPL would go from 2/4/6/ to 4/6/8. 
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 27 January 2024, 17:19:35 »
I don't think that a flat +4 on all bracket is something makes sense, for both a flat bonus as well as increased short range only. Unless it makes the weapon similar to snub nosed PPC, but if it does then it does needs the drawback too.

Although large laser, especially for IS tech, is already a hard to sell group, but the additional heat seems to be unbearable and it won't make those viable either.

Izzy193

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 28 January 2024, 23:40:15 »
Yeah looking at it now a +4 range extension on all range brackets makes no sense, maybe a +2 to all range brackets would work better for +4 heat?

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 29 January 2024, 03:30:31 »
Yeah looking at it now a +4 range extension on all range brackets makes no sense, maybe a +2 to all range brackets would work better for +4 heat?

Is it just the same flat bonus on the short range but nothing more? Then it's virtually all the same except for the numeric value, so it's nothing different that it is problematic. So do any type of lasers are pays for the same range by the same heat and tonnage.

Also what do you mean, is it a +4/+8/+12 or just a +4/+4/+4? I did read it as the latter one, though.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #6 on: 29 January 2024, 04:15:51 »
For +4 heat, I'd make it +2/+4/+6 (+8 for Extreme).