Author Topic: AFFS High Command, Suns Transcendent!  (Read 182951 times)

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
Re: AFFS High Command, Suns Transcendent!
« Reply #90 on: 10 January 2014, 17:06:35 »
Human Resource Management : The beatings will continue until morale improves

Pretty much, with a side Topic on Outsourcing Your Beatings: Why Tire Your Own Arm?

also, Diversity/Equality - or how to exclude people without actually breaking the law
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #91 on: 10 January 2014, 17:55:08 »
Human Resource Management : The beatings will continue until morale improves
My favorite story on that general topic is of the Centurion nicknamed Cedo Alteram, which translates roughly as "Give me another".  It seems centurions traditionally carried a vine-stick symbolizing their rank and used for corporal punishment, and this particular Centurion was well known for breaking his across a soldier's back and asking for another.  He was killed in a mutiny.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Lord Harlock

• Captain
  • Watching from the Shadows
« Reply #92 on: 10 January 2014, 19:24:12 »
Ah human resources, the department of any organization where nothing is humane.

Shakespeare wrote about killing all the lawyers; personally, I'd just exile all human resource managers to Devil's Island. Some lawyers may sell you out for Wales, but that's human. Human Resources Managers with a smile send you an impersonal rejection letter without giving a hint of what went wrong like soulless machines. (It's probably for legal reasons, but God in heaven, I'd kill just to be told what they didn't like.) Overall, I've had enough of their treatment over the last six years to last a fair number of lifetimes.

And hopefully, I won't have to worry about them for a little while. I have a full time prospect that is pretty close to being a real career. By next week God willing, I'll escape the barely scraping two pennies together lifestyle of substitute teaching to a full time job where I can start to correct a lot of the problems that have plagued my life for the past couple of years.

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
« Reply #93 on: 10 January 2014, 19:34:59 »
And hopefully, I won't have to worry about them for a little while. I have a full time prospect that is pretty close to being a real career. By next week God willing, I'll escape the barely scraping two pennies together lifestyle of substitute teaching to a full time job where I can start to correct a lot of the problems that have plagued my life for the past couple of years.

Yay, good luck

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #94 on: 10 January 2014, 20:00:22 »
Woohoo, getting out of substitute teaching!  It'll be nice when I can say the same.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #95 on: 10 January 2014, 20:26:34 »
Ah, HR. There's a reason Catbert runs that function in Dilbert. (Which is actually referenced in a text book I have for my "Business Ethics" class this semester).

Also, the one time I really feel like being unpleasant, is going to be getting HR to justify their existence.  >:D

And subbing, my girlfriend at this point is a music teacher in private schools, but since it's through a music store chain, in the area, she oddly would earn more by being a sub.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

Brian Mattern-Davion

• Private
« Reply #96 on: 10 January 2014, 21:31:09 »
Yeah, HR is basically there to protect the company. Doesn't mean they're particularly good at it, but yeah, they're not there for the employees

Neko_Bijin

• Lieutenant
  • Alpha Strike naïf
« Reply #97 on: 11 January 2014, 14:08:06 »
Sir Thomas More reference!
"Lord Kurita is merciful.  You will be spared the humiliation of a trial.  Instead, you are invited to dine with your sainted ancestors.  You don't follow?  Let me rephrase.  I am about to run you through with my sword.  Now you get the picture?  Good."

Rorke

• Captain
  • Absolute Shower
« Reply #98 on: 12 January 2014, 17:59:47 »
Yeah, HR is basically there to protect the company. Doesn't mean they're particularly good at it, but yeah, they're not there for the employees

That is what a union is for.
"you come at the king you best not miss" Omar Little

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
« Reply #99 on: 12 January 2014, 18:01:18 »

But unions are losing their edge and employees are more often entering individual agreements that, sadly, are often centred on the psychological contract between employer and employee and which is therefore unenforceable in a court of law when, normally the employer, one side decides to unilaterally change it

Davout73

• Captain
« Reply #100 on: 12 January 2014, 21:19:18 »

When my friend got injured on the job because a fellow coworker was both drunk and high, and the Union fought to keep the drunk guy in his job despite numerous pat incidents that didn't involve someone else getting injured .  They weren't protecting the company he worked for.  Not by a long damn shot.  And this was in a company that did high end maintenance on passenger jets....

This is the process you have to go through to fire a teacher who is not good at their job  in New York.  This is not the exception, firing a teacher in many school districts across America is quite a similar, rigorous process.  Apologies on the length.

So yeah, Unions aren't there to protect the company.  They never have been.

Dav
Kiiro no Torii, a Battletech AU, found here:
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,7316.0.html
Interview with a Mercenary, found here: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,319.0.html
Every Man Must Be Tempted, a KNT Universe series: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-fiction/every-man-must-be-tempted
"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent, because the competent use it when it could do some good."

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #101 on: 13 January 2014, 00:57:45 »
So, do y'all figure partisans on New Syrtis might have a shot at assassinating Daoshen, or is that too much to hope for?
Sunrise is Coming.

Davout73

• Captain
« Reply #102 on: 13 January 2014, 09:58:54 »
So, do y'all figure partisans on New Syrtis might have a shot at assassinating Daoshen, or is that too much to hope for?

Whose Next in Line again?

Dav
Interview with a Mercenary, found here: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,319.0.html
Every Man Must Be Tempted, a KNT Universe series: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-fiction/every-man-must-be-tempted
"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent, because the competent use it when it could do some good."

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #103 on: 13 January 2014, 12:04:06 »
Danai
Sunrise is Coming.

Davout73

• Captain
« Reply #104 on: 13 January 2014, 13:30:21 »
Danai

Hrm...different sort of crazy there IIRC...could be interesting...

Dav

Lord Harlock

• Captain
« Reply #105 on: 14 January 2014, 18:39:49 »
As one book series and popular HBO tv show put it, "Every time a Targaryen is born, the gods flip a coin."

That being said Danai has been pretty sane in her fictional appearances. However it appears by 3145, she is filled with as much rage as a 90's gun toting superhero by Rob Liefield. The coin apparently landed on its side and has finally decided on which side to drop on. 

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #106 on: 14 January 2014, 21:50:27 »
as long as she isn't a physically deformed as a character drawn by Rob Liefield she'll be okay
We are Clan Snow Raven. Masters of the void, and reapers of your souls

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

foxbat

• Tunnel Rat
  • Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • classicbattletech.fr
« Reply #107 on: 16 January 2014, 07:56:45 »
As one book series and popular HBO tv show put it, "Every time a Targaryen is born, the gods flip a coin."

Just read the last one (Dance with Dragons, IIRC) and I must say, I'm starting to get disappointed. Killing characters just to put other ones into the limelight while the story moves at a snail's pace is starting to get me tired. I'll salute however the performance, those were 15 tomes before I started to get weary. I'll give the next one a chance nonetheless  ;)
Hanse Davion is my shepherd.
We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender! Winston Churchill, June 1940

Lord Harlock

• Captain
« Reply #108 on: 16 January 2014, 12:44:18 »
Actually, it was Feast of Crows that drags horribly to me. It's George R. R. Martin's book series, but I can only imagine from my own experience in creating prose that writing the two aftermath books-A Feast of Crows and Dance of Dragons, probably caused horrible writer's block. There are characters that appear that probably have no real affect on the plot who basically talk about things in the more interesting books like Davos possible dying in White Harbor or anything mentioned about the previous book, subplots that seem to go nowhere like Queen Regent Cersei slide into heathenism since she still gets to be in charge, and lots of talking about spicy food and other spicy thing that end up boring with House Martell that seems to go nowhere. The most interesting thing in A Feast of Crows for me was the Blackfish escaping Riverrun with the possibility of a fake Jeyne Westerling that Jaime Lannister meets(TV show basically indicates little hope there) and rise of the Faith Militant.

Personally, the events in the North in Dance of Dragons had some interesting plotlines and some action with House Manderly creating some interesting mischief.

That being said Winds of Winter better get back to showing a mix of intrigue with things actually happening. Then again if I was writing, I'd probably skip telling about Davos arriving on Skagos to just him picking up Rickon and getting back on the boat to get back to Stannis beating up Boltons. After two books of setup that took eleven years to come out, my version of Winds of Winter would be basically just letting the hammers fall page after page to get to a conclusion, but that's just me.

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #109 on: 16 January 2014, 20:05:41 »
A Dance with Dragons, I could have sworn that I read the same chapters with different characters on a couple of occasions.  Martin has a lot of great characters that offer a visceral experience.  Frankly, he could have split a number of them off into a number of somewhat related novels that could have been very solid.  As it stands, I think the series is a mess.

So to change the topic selfishly, the wife and I are having another boy.  Any name suggestions, in the traditional but underutilized category.

Neko_Bijin

• Lieutenant
  • Alpha Strike naïf
« Reply #110 on: 16 January 2014, 20:45:24 »
Arthur?  Aloysius?  Oscar?
"Lord Kurita is merciful.  You will be spared the humiliation of a trial.  Instead, you are invited to dine with your sainted ancestors.  You don't follow?  Let me rephrase.  I am about to run you through with my sword.  Now you get the picture?  Good."

Davout73

• Captain
« Reply #111 on: 16 January 2014, 20:50:09 »
So to change the topic selfishly, the wife and I are having another boy.  Any name suggestions, in the traditional but underutilized category.

Hrm...Marcus?  Adrian?  Felix? 

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #112 on: 16 January 2014, 20:57:19 »
Arthur?  Aloysius?  Oscar?
Three names we considered.  We're rejecting names that make a middle initial of 'J' look bad.  We did consider the first.

Davout73

• Captain
« Reply #113 on: 16 January 2014, 21:01:30 »
So hi smiddle initial will be J?  That knocks out any 'P' or "A" names in my book....

Hrm...

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #114 on: 16 January 2014, 21:09:06 »
So hi smiddle...
You sound like I feel!

We're skipping 'O' and 'B' also.  Childhood torture needs no incentive.

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #115 on: 16 January 2014, 21:16:49 »
What's your last initial?
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #116 on: 16 January 2014, 21:21:18 »
What's your last initial?
More important, the last name is Woodhead which made the early favorite of Harrison and nickname Harry darn well untenable.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #117 on: 16 January 2014, 22:51:10 »
So how traditional are we talking?  Dagda, Cernunnos, Hephaestus, Horus, Thoth, Tyr, Loki? I'm guesing less traditional than that. :D
Sunrise is Coming.

Force of Nature

• Lieutenant
  • Battletech and Paintball. Life is good.
« Reply #118 on: 17 January 2014, 00:25:45 »

Congrats Charlie 6.

Go with Conan.

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #119 on: 17 January 2014, 00:27:52 »
Edward, Scott, Gregory, Norman, Moon Unit, Terrance, Sean, Link, Chrono, Mario, Victor, Kai....Umm yeah names really aren't my specialty
We are Clan Snow Raven. Masters of the void, and reapers of your souls

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

Register