Author Topic: "Canal City" map #1, now further updated with a third map  (Read 5834 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: "Canal City" map #1, now with bonus 'offshore' map option
« Reply #30 on: 08 June 2020, 18:30:32 »
You had mentioned your parents living in a coastal "town"...  ^-^

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #31 on: 08 June 2020, 20:20:51 »
Ah! Unfortunately, I did the compass alignment wrong to be able to connect that map to this one too easily. And I see those as being more like rolling English hills, while this is definitely more arid. :-) Although, as Wrangler suggested, the hinterland may be interesting to make.
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #32 on: 14 June 2020, 00:07:44 »
You can blame/thank Wrangler for this one, which I put together over the last day or so.

Yep, this is a board to go to the north of Canal City #1, featuring, as requested, a small drop-port (can handle a single aerodyne, or a pair of spheroids if they park very carefully) in the north-west, a small factory area in the south-west, and a warehousing area to the south-east. It continues the landscape theme of the Canal City #1 map, in that there are sparse light woods, some areas of rough terrain, some small streams and swamps, and little else to obstruct sight lines (especially in comparison to some of my other maps).

64x68 CanalCity1 Inshore.board
Click to enlarge

(Yes, the main highway is raised on bridges over the flood plain, because a) flood plain, and b) it means that traffic isn't slowed down by having to tackle so many slopes.)

And, if you nail them all together into a 3x1 board map (which is a 64x204 hex map, or 4 classic mapsheets by 12), it ends up looking like this.

64x68 CanalCity1 Inshore.board, 64x68 CanalCity1.board, and 64x68 CanalCity1 Offshore.board
Click to enlarge

May the RNG have mercy on you all, for what you have encouraged me to do. Amen.

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Re: "Canal City" map #1, now further updated with a third map
« Reply #33 on: 14 June 2020, 04:46:52 »
Nice!  All it's missing is a light rail link from downtown to the drop port...  ^-^

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #34 on: 14 June 2020, 05:44:49 »
That is so awesome, Simon!  Thanks you!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #35 on: 14 June 2020, 08:56:15 »
Nice!  All it's missing is a light rail link from downtown to the drop port...  ^-^

You've got a road, what more do you people want? :-)
(I'm waiting for functional rail implementation before I start putting rail links into my maps.)

When used as a stand-alone map fight-through map, I'd recommend fighting north-south, as with only two bridges on this board, that river is a major obstacle (except for Phoenix Hawk-grade jumpers), which could be a substantial tactical challenge, picking which side of the river to deploy forces on.

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #36 on: 14 June 2020, 09:47:45 »

Sounds like a standard argument in most modern cities  ;D
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #37 on: 14 June 2020, 09:49:24 »
Sounds like a standard argument in most modern cities  ;D

Yeah. Just because Springfield got a monorail, now everyone wants one. Doesn't matter what happened to theirs ...  :)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #38 on: 14 June 2020, 10:04:02 »
Heh... you could always claim there's a subway...  ^-^

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #39 on: 14 June 2020, 10:07:47 »
Heh... you could always claim there's a subway...  ^-^

Remember that I live in London, so I'm happy to do that ... [grin]

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #40 on: 14 June 2020, 10:09:59 »
Cool... We had to cancel our class trip to London this year, but we might get to go again next year...

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #41 on: 15 June 2020, 08:37:45 »
If light rail/subway functionality is added, infantry movement will be spectacularly fast and expensive trolley fees.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #42 on: 15 June 2020, 09:59:24 »
"Sorry sir, we couldn't get to the front - the Lieutenant hadn't topped up the credit on his travel card."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #43 on: 15 June 2020, 15:05:03 »
That's a good one!  ;D

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #44 on: 15 June 2020, 19:51:46 »
I really love this map combo, and I can think of at least two of my three campaigns where I can use this in the near-ish future. So thank you for these.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #45 on: 15 June 2020, 21:21:43 »
I really love this map combo, and I can think of at least two of my three campaigns where I can use this in the near-ish future. So thank you for these.

Cheers! Glad that they could be of use, and hope the campaigns go well. Hope to hear how the resulting battles go.

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #46 on: 20 June 2020, 21:26:59 »
You can blame/thank Wrangler for this one, which I put together over the last day or so.

Yep, this is a board to go to the north of Canal City #1, featuring, as requested, a small drop-port (can handle a single aerodyne, or a pair of spheroids if they park very carefully) in the north-west, a small factory area in the south-west, and a warehousing area to the south-east. It continues the landscape theme of the Canal City #1 map, in that there are sparse light woods, some areas of rough terrain, some small streams and swamps, and little else to obstruct sight lines (especially in comparison to some of my other maps).

64x68 CanalCity1 Inshore.board
Click to enlarge

(Yes, the main highway is raised on bridges over the flood plain, because a) flood plain, and b) it means that traffic isn't slowed down by having to tackle so many slopes.)

And, if you nail them all together into a 3x1 board map (which is a 64x204 hex map, or 4 classic mapsheets by 12), it ends up looking like this.

64x68 CanalCity1 Inshore.board, 64x68 CanalCity1.board, and 64x68 CanalCity1 Offshore.board
Click to enlarge

May the RNG have mercy on you all, for what you have encouraged me to do. Amen.

Map-ticons merge and form RNG Crippler!  Also added :)
« Last Edit: 21 June 2020, 12:14:41 by Hammer »
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #47 on: 21 June 2020, 12:54:16 »
Whoo!  Thanks Hammer!  This will be fun to do! (well, for some... ^-^)

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #48 on: 21 June 2020, 13:06:05 »
Map-ticons merge and form RNG Crippler!  Also added :)

[giggle] Also, thanks!

Register