Author Topic: (Answered) Superchargers and TSM: exact modifier  (Read 3208 times)

A. Lurker

• Major
(Answered) Superchargers and TSM: exact modifier
« on: 03 June 2013, 05:13:11 »
Okay, per current errata I can officially combine triple-strength myomer and a supercharger on the same 'Mech and use them together, with the supercharger applied first where it matters:

Quote from: Tactical-Operations-v3.03-2013-01-03.pdf, pages 37 and 98
“• A ’Mech may combine a Supercharger with Triple-Strength Myomer. If both are used in the same round, the
Triple Strength Myomer modifier is added to the Supercharger-modified speed.”

What I'm not quite sure on is what the exact "Triple Strength Myomer modifier" is supposed to be here. TSM normally provides +2 to walking speed, modified by heat as applicable, and the current running speed is then calculated from that walking MP total. Conversely, a supercharger boosts solely running speed...into which, since it's derived from walking speed as well, any heat penalties should already have been figured once, too.

So, since I'm supposed to apply the supercharger's effect before that of TSM,

(a) does that mean that the supercharger uses the current non-TSM-enhanced walking speed as the base for its running speed calculation (which in the case of a slow enough design working under a serious heat burden could mean no effect at all since that base walking speed might have dropped to zero), and

(b) if that's the case, do I add +2 (TSM bonus to walking MP) or +3 (TSM bonus adjusted for running -- we've already figured in heat, so that should be straightforward) to the final total?

Edited to add: Come to think of it, that would mean that an SC + TSM-equipped 'Mech could never be wholly immobilized by heat at all even though one with only one or the other still can, so that doesn't feel quite right either. :-\
« Last Edit: 20 July 2023, 15:56:04 by Xotl »

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: (Research) Superchargers and TSM: exact modifier?
« Reply #1 on: 11 September 2013, 18:40:14 »
The wording will be slightly altered to read as follows:

"If both are used in the same round, the Triple Strength Myomer modifier is added before applying the Supercharger modifier."

I trust this resolves your issues?
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

A. Lurker

• Major
Re: (Answered) Superchargers and TSM: exact modifier?
« Reply #2 on: 01 November 2013, 15:38:30 »
I'm a bit late here (haven't really checked the boards in recent months anymore), but since that basically now returns things to the familiar "calculate walking MP first and then figure out running MP from that" default...sure. :) Thanks!

Register