Author Topic: Average starting attributes?  (Read 3885 times)

DarkSpade

• Major
Average starting attributes?
« on: 04 August 2019, 15:49:37 »
When using the life modules, is it normal to come out with low attributes?   I was comparing some of my player's attributes to some of the premade characters and I see a lot more 1-3s in my players' characters than in the premades.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Robroy

• Lieutenant
  • Not named, but not gone. Maybe.
Re: Average starting attributes?
« Reply #1 on: 04 August 2019, 15:52:41 »
When using the life modules, is it normal to come out with low attributes?   I was comparing some of my player's attributes to some of the premade characters and I see a lot more 1-3s in my players' characters than in the premades.

Yes. But during the optimization step you can increase them.

Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way (Tao) to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed"-Sun Tzu

"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"-Sun Tzu

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #2 on: 04 August 2019, 15:58:21 »
And you should increase them, too.  4 is the "average human" value, and also the point where you stop taking penalties to skills.  You'll also want to look at the attribute minimums associated with various Skill Fields.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 04 August 2019, 17:05:06 »
Crap, didn't notice there were minimums for skills. I thought it was just the links modifying them.  We'll have to check that.

And I'm talking about their attributes after they were all done.  The character sheet I have here doesn't even look like he added anything to attributes.  And that's even after I gave everyone permission to reduce there XP in positive traits down to the nearest level.  Like if you had 275 XP in equipped, I allowed you to go down to 200 if you spent those 75 on attributes.

Here's his attributes

str 1
bod 2
rfl 4
dex 4
int 3
wil 3
cha 3
edg 1

Now his choice of life modules got him a ridiculous amount of different skills, but can that possibly make up for those attributes?  Him and a second player also picked up fast learner.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Robroy

• Lieutenant
  • Not named, but not gone. Maybe.
« Reply #4 on: 04 August 2019, 18:14:17 »

Now his choice of life modules got him a ridiculous amount of different skills, but can that possibly make up for those attributes?  Him and a second player also picked up fast learner.

This may be the problem, not the system. Are they also taking negative traits, they can take up to 10% of their starting points.

If they spend over 1500 XP in skills they will get the 300 XP back in savings that they spent on Fast Learner, so that is not the problem.

It looks like they think they are only going to live in their mech. More to a RPG then that.

Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way (Tao) to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed"-Sun Tzu

"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"-Sun Tzu

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #5 on: 04 August 2019, 18:44:02 »
Just to be clear, it's Skill Fields, not skills.

Can you list the life modules they took?  I'm also willing to bet they didn't apply the aging rules (there are two).  You get 100 XP for every year over 21 if you're Inner Sphere.  There are also direct modifications to Attributes when you hit certain ages.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 04 August 2019, 19:23:01 »
Well, the original plan was that they'd spend the vast majority of play time in their mechs.  I had them roll characters so they'd be more attached to their pilots, for use in small between battle events, and to help cover anything not in Total Warfare that they might want to do.  "you want to see what unit you're fighting against? roll perception to see their emblem."   I capped them at 4/5 pilots though so they would be more well rounded.

Just to be clear, it's Skill Fields, not skills.

Can you list the life modules they took?  I'm also willing to bet they didn't apply the aging rules (there are two).  You get 100 XP for every year over 21 if you're Inner Sphere.  There are also direct modifications to Attributes when you hit certain ages.

No idea what a skill field is.

I was walking them through and we got side tracked before we got to age.  We'll have to go over that then.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #7 on: 04 August 2019, 19:53:17 »
Skill Fields are the groups of skills the Stage 3 schools give you.  The fields you can choose with each school are on pages 72-73 of AToW, and the fields themselves are listed on pages 82-85.  As explained on pages 70-71, when you select a Skill Field, you receive 30 points in each skill listed as part of that field AND a 6-point rebate that you can spend on other things. Basically, you're only paying 24 points for 30 points in each skill due to the efficiencies of mass education.  If you like, I can walk you through a detailed example, but probably not until tomorrow night after work.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 04 August 2019, 19:58:33 »
Skill Fields are the groups of skills the Stage 3 schools give you.  The fields you can choose with each school are on pages 72-73 of AToW, and the fields themselves are listed on pages 82-85.  As explained on pages 70-71, when you select a Skill Field, you receive 30 points in each skill listed as part of that field AND a 6-point rebate that you can spend on other things. Basically, you're only paying 24 points for 30 points in each skill due to the efficiencies of mass education.  If you like, I can walk you through a detailed example, but probably not until tomorrow night after work.

Oh! The stuff in Module 3, higher education?  yeah, we took care of those mins.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #9 on: 04 August 2019, 20:07:33 »
Oh good... you're on track with that part at least.  I'm still wondering about how many modules they took to end up where they did, though.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 04 August 2019, 20:22:03 »
If I remember correctly, they all took one of each. 

I know the player who's sheet I have did take 6 ranks in owning a vehicle(some from modules, some bought later), but all of them were similarly low in attributes. 

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #11 on: 04 August 2019, 20:32:34 »
6 in Owns Vehicle will certainly put a crimp in Attributes. It's not impossible, though.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #12 on: 05 August 2019, 00:11:17 »
6 in Owns Vehicle will certainly put a crimp in Attributes.

"do you think he's compensating for something?"

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 05 August 2019, 18:00:54 »
I told them they could have their mech for free if they spent the XP on it.  He's new to Battletech so he was picking based on my minis and he really liked the prefect.

Register