Author Topic: ATOW Remote Sensor Ranges vs TacOps Remote Sensor Ranges  (Read 1612 times)

brycesahagun

• Recruit
ATOW Remote Sensor Ranges vs TacOps Remote Sensor Ranges
« on: 07 January 2020, 12:45:09 »
How do you all reconcile the dramatically longer detection ranges of personal remote sensors from ATOW, which reach out as far as 10 kilometers in the case of radar and motion (pg 305) . . . Compared to the vehicular level sensors,(both the kind mounted on mech/vees and the kind dispensed and monitored remotely) described in Tactical Operations, all of which have trouble detecting out to ONE kilometer?

Or did I miss something?

dgorsman

• Captain
Re: ATOW Remote Sensor Ranges vs TacOps Remote Sensor Ranges
« Reply #1 on: 07 January 2020, 13:42:46 »
Scanning vs. targeting.  The personal stuff only tells you something is there, the vehicular scale stuff gives enough data to aim heavy weapons.

But it's best not to get too deep into such differences.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

brycesahagun

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: 07 January 2020, 14:11:38 »
Gotcha. Appreciate it.  Any ideas on how to extrapolate out the vehicle sensor ranges then? For scanning?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #3 on: 07 January 2020, 15:24:38 »
Line of sight will absolutely have an effect, especially for the radar and motion sensors.  For 'mech scale units, I think both sensors of that type are literally only limited by LOS for scanning purposes. The horizon will come into play here...

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 09 January 2020, 19:48:32 »
You also see the same thing with regards to personal weapon ranges in ATOW, compared to the board games.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #5 on: 09 January 2020, 19:52:29 »
Something I hope to see fixed someday... Destiny won't do it, but I won't be picking that one up...

brycesahagun

• Recruit
« Reply #6 on: 09 January 2020, 20:24:25 »
I thought the comm gear ranges did a decent job of extrapolating from 1 ton of Vehicular Communications Equipment, and most other equipment in A Time of War tries considerably hard to respect Total Warfare scale. Especially the damage scaling between personal weapons/armor and tactical weapons/armor.

So I was scratching my head at the gross inconsistency of the sensor ranges.

I’ve got a fairly good idea of how I’ll make it work though. I suppose some sensors you can’t expect to perform better mounted on a mech/vee than fixed on the ground anyway. (Like Seismic)