Author Topic: Ōkina Shigoto - Merc battalion, late Republic era  (Read 1811 times)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Ōkina Shigoto - Merc battalion, late Republic era
« on: 02 June 2018, 04:43:27 »
The unit known as Ōkina Shigoto traces its ancestry back across a wide range of older mercenary bands, with members descended from units like the Clan Invasion-era Schwarz' Foresters, via members of the Battle Corps who remained with the Republic of the Sphere following the end of the Word of Blake Jihad. Formally named after the current leader, whoever that may be, the unit - at the time "Al-Hawad's Arsekickers" - hired onto the Draconis Combine just in time to assist the DCMS during the Second Combine-Dominion War.

Typically assigned, at first, to rear area security, the Arsekickers picked up a reputation for handling Dominion breakthroughs and raiders with a mixture of enthusiasm and cheerful brutality. As they gained reputation, the DCMS took to using them for spoiling attacks and raids against Dominions forces. While they never changed the course of the conflict in major ways, their overall success earned them the honourable name granted them by the commander of the First Ghost Regiment, seeing them in action on Jarrett.

In 3111, however, the unit had tired of garrison duty along the more-pacified border with the Dominion. Hearing rumours of renewed action by Clan Jade Falcon, the current commander, Major Chloe Schwarz, decided not to renew with the DCMS, and to take on a contract with House Steiner, who was keen to source mercenaries with demonstrated anti-Clan experience.

The unit thus depicted is as at the commencement of this contract, with a mix of old and reliable merc-oriented units, some Kuritan elements acquired due to their reputation, and brand new Steiner-sourced equipment. The Ōkina Shigoto's paintscheme is a terrain-suitable base, with a broad emerald stripe on the lower right leg/right front quarter; chameeze* markings are painted across the head and shoulders/turret sections.

* The chameeze is a giraffe-like predator, common across several worlds in the Pesht district.

First Company is a mix of fast and heavier 'Mechs.

Major Schwarz commands from a rare, upgraded CTF-0Xp Cataphract. The -0p replaced the original design's primitive EW suit with a Beagle Probe and TAG; Major Schwarz has futher replaced the design's AC-5 with an LB-10X, and added CASE to the right torso. The remainder of the lance are a DVS-2 Devastator, LGB-12C Longbow, and ARC-9K Archer.

The Fast Assault lance consists of a NJT-3 Ninja To, TNS-6S Thanatos, CPLT-K4 Catapult, and PXH-7K Phoenix Hawk.

The Recon Lance is made up of a SDR-0KC Venom, JVN-11B Javelin, JVN-11F Javelin, and JVN-11A Javelin.

The Armour Company provides hard support for the 'Mechs. Scouting is provided by a platoon of Scimitar II HCVs, who are expert in using their ECM to disrupt communications and provide "fog of war". A platoon of Ontii - two LGR versions, two sealed - provide direct fire support, while the DI Morgans - two standard, two LRM-version - work indirect fire, and provide rear security.

When fighting the Clans, infantry need to "go big, or go extinct". A Kuritan-style company of battle armour "are for the big." Platoons of Kopis Anti-Infantry suits and Tsunami-armed Raiden suits deploy via MHI Amphibious APCs. These platoons are used to working with the two sealed-variant Ontos tanks in performing amphibious assaults. Finally, a (new) platoon of Gray Death Scout suits use their Lamprey VTOL transport to range widely and scout out the enemy.

Now I know scale isn't really a "thing" in regard to BT minis. But there are some times even I can't cope. For example, when your assault 'Mech is being bullied by a light, and dwarfed by a 60-tonner ...

So a while back I decided to gather them all into a unit - tentatively called the "big boys" - where they could all stand next to each other and not feel body conscious. This is the result.

Painting was simple - base coat of light sand, triangular marks added in terracotta across the head & shoulders, with blue-green edging on two sides. Emerald stripe on the right leg from the ankle, two-thirds the way up the leg. Metallics-to-be in black. A coat of teak stain, add metallics, ghostbrush with light sand, then cockpits in metallic green. Seal, and done! A simple but effective scheme, and the teak stain as always brings out the panelling like a dream. I believe Army Painter sells green, yellow, red, and blue varnish stains; must get!

Callouts to the Primitive Cataphract, which I love; the primitive Longbow, likewise, and will be my go-to until we see Classic Longbows, if ever; the Thanatos, which I love in all its outsized glory; and the limited edition GenCon K4 Catapult. No callout to the ***** ****** ******* Longbow missile doors!  :rant:

Comments & questions always gratefully received!

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Ōkina Shigoto - Merc battalion, late Republic era
« Reply #1 on: 02 June 2018, 06:03:18 »
Excellent work! :thumbsup:

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #2 on: 02 June 2018, 09:08:47 »
Nicely done WT!  8) :thumbsup:  Pretty sweet (oversized) group you got there.  Did you feed them Mario's mushrooms?  :D

The Phoenix Hawk you have there; is that a DA version?  Looking at mine next to my K4 and it's not as big as yours appears to be.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 02 June 2018, 09:18:32 »
Well done, but WorkTroll you really now have me wanting to know more about them, hopefully in the Non-Canon Unit work up.
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Neo-Tanuki

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 02 June 2018, 13:23:13 »
Worktroll, when it comes to productivity, you are the Hesperus II of Battletech miniature painting! I am always amazed how quickly you finish whole companies and battalions.

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 02 June 2018, 19:32:07 »
sweet! :thumbsup:

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #6 on: 07 June 2018, 10:48:56 »
Nicely done WT!  8) :thumbsup:  Pretty sweet (oversized) group you got there.  Did you feed them Mario's mushrooms?  :D

The Phoenix Hawk you have there; is that a DA version?  Looking at mine next to my K4 and it's not as big as yours appears to be.

Yes, you can tell by the longer thighs and the way the arm laser is held.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."