Author Topic: Collaborative Merc Unit  (Read 28982 times)

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
Re: Collaborative Merc Unit
« Reply #30 on: 19 November 2018, 08:40:06 »
Oh, the reference to HBS game is totally unnecessary, but I thought it was neat, confirming the existance of the reach but also its demise. Any other people that prefer to keep it out?

COMMON ASSETS
Regarding common assets, anything to add?

1. Infantry. A platoon of infantry for security purposes in the landing zone is always good. A green motorized platoon (LRM) should be enough to keep nosy troops away. 7 points.
2. Support light vehicles for that poor lone Striker :). Since we are going cheap, a green Scorpion lance (2 normal, 2 LRM) should do it. 50 points exactly.
3. 2 tech teams to maintain the dropship and other vehicles. 20 points.
4. Spares. 15
5. Ammo. 8
6. Flatbet trucks. Half a dozen
7. An ambulance APC.
8. A cargo Ferret that can double up as a personnel recovery vehicle.
9. Heavy recovery vehicle "Martha"

Do you want warrior VTOLS?
« Last Edit: 19 November 2018, 09:21:27 by Elmoth »

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #31 on: 19 November 2018, 11:52:18 »
Oh, the reference to HBS game is totally unnecessary, but I thought it was neat, confirming the existence of the reach but also its demise. Any other people that prefer to keep it out?

Do you want warrior VTOLS?

Question 1 - Don't really have a preference, if we start on Galatea we are already on the far side of the Inner Sphere from it.
Question 2 - I don't think we need the Warrior VTOL (a Karnov is plenty of space for the laser platoon plus Medevac and having the option to use it for Rescue missions) or additional infantry (particularly infantry as they drain payroll).  Regular scorpions should be enough to keep infantry at bay and if necessary support the Striker tank.

Everything else seems fine though.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #32 on: 19 November 2018, 13:06:18 »
Great post Alpha Mirage!
We can do 2 things. Integrate the pink envelope into the narrative (make clear that Kowalskis mission is worse than the free capella alternative) or run 2 missions: one rescue mission for free capella and one to hit a supply line for Irían industries, for example.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 19 November 2018, 13:27:23 »
Spad-502 [Competent] - 40 [40] Flight Leader Badrani 'Bad Penny' Pennington

Sabre Sb-27 [Competent] - 48 [38+10] Pilot Akane 'Shredder' Tonoe

Tech team = 10 pts

« Last Edit: 19 November 2018, 16:56:57 by Sharpnel »
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #34 on: 19 November 2018, 16:01:09 »
Unless I'm reading the wrong table, the infantry LRM launcher isn't available until 3057.  There's an easy fix, though: the Intek Laser Rifle!  It's a Standard weapon (so no movement penalty), and is no more expensive or rare than a vanilla laser rifle.  Squads of six (assuming Auto Rifles for the others) will still do 3 points of damage out to 3/6/9 range (the same as the LRM would do).

I'm off to my AToW spreadsheet to see what I can do for Stefano...

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #35 on: 19 November 2018, 16:11:48 »
Great post Alpha Mirage!

I did write almost two novel length pieces of fiction for this game {Mercs Unleashed, Ian Davion, Golden Lion, and my Katherine saga, some of you are familiar with them (Sharpnel and I think Nav_Alpha at least)} although only a few of those scenes ever happen on Galatea.  I prefer Westerhand, the Confederation treats its mercs well and has better terms if you know how to work the system because they are desperate.  However it doesn't get better till Sun-Tzu takes over and he's only like 3 at this time so that is going to be a while.

I am not going to detail the operation in the pink envelope.  Someone can feel free to use its contents or my character to express their own interests.  However I say (IC and OOC) that if we are going to raid an Irian Arms facility and rendition someone in the Sarna March that we might be able to do both and reduce the (admittedly arbitrary) jumpship cost to move our drop ship.  That would give us a hell of a reputation that we get things done.

@ Sharpnel - Spad nice for merc work, although I believe you can take 10 points off for Badrani's competence and use it for a tech team.  You get a free competent character per the original post.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #36 on: 19 November 2018, 16:40:55 »
AlphaMirage is right. The main character is competent by default, so you have 10 points remaining. Some spares would be good to have, or a tech team, whatever you prefer. Later I will update the rules with what I think are sensible maintenance and repair costs. You need both techs and spares in any case. Spares is basically "other stuff" (money, actual spares, fuel, electronics, a new tail fin...) while tech teams are what uses those spares to keep the machines operating. Easy, duh xD

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 19 November 2018, 16:57:48 »
Changes made
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #38 on: 19 November 2018, 17:21:40 »
I upgraded the first post with entries for maintenance and repair costs and added the option to make custom changes to vehicles. Feedback appreciated.

Transport costs for drop ships are not included, being considere dto be part of the contract that is negotiated, but that can change if you want.

Cheers,
Xavi

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #39 on: 19 November 2018, 17:34:00 »
Customization?  Cool... I'll have to go check that out before surrendering the rest of my 100 points, then.  Speaking of which, is Martha the Recovery Vehicle I paid for?

I haven't even tried to balance him yet, but here's the rough outline I'm looking at for Stefano:

Born 2995 to a Blue Collar family (10 years), who sends him to a Military School (6 years).  From there, he enlists in the FWLM, and picks up Anti-Mech Infantry training (3 years), but ends up using it against the FWLM during Anton's Revolt (Guerilla Insurgent module, 6 years).  After the Revolt, he "settles down" to the life of an Agitator (4 years), which inevitably leads to Organized Crime (5 years).  Finally escaping the FWL, he turns up at the Blackjack School of Combat to learn how to drive the Wolverine he smuggled out of the FWL with him (3 years with OCS).  From 3032-3035 he does a Tour of Duty as a mercenary lance leader, and washes up on Galatea as a 40 year old Lieutenant with a Dark PastTM.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #40 on: 19 November 2018, 17:35:22 »
So... will 5 points get me a Blazer Cannon in place of the Large Laser and SRM on the WVR-6M?  :)

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #41 on: 19 November 2018, 17:47:12 »
I am no expert in CBT rules at all, so I will allow clearer heads to comment on that one. I think that in terms of Alpha Strike, the battle value of the mech would stay the same, I think, so it would be no problem.

Stefano being double the age of Anton places them in "awesome mechwarrior" area for he youngster. Sounds like a dark and interesting character. We have quite a mixed collection of characters here. I like it.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #42 on: 19 November 2018, 17:50:46 »
Heh... the trick being that he's only had 3 years of experience as a MechWarrior...  ^-^

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #43 on: 19 November 2018, 18:10:21 »
My only concern would be if he deserves Veteran status with 3 years as a mech jock. Apart from that the story looks great as a background to dig for plot twists, contacts and story ideas.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #44 on: 19 November 2018, 18:14:06 »
I'll let you know how many levels of gunnery and piloting shake out of AToW.  I could also move the Organized Crime module to after Blackjack, giving him 8 years experience as a MechWarrior.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #45 on: 19 November 2018, 18:21:09 »
So resources:

- Trojan dropship

- Spad 502 ASF (Flight Leader Badrani 'Bad Penny' Pennington, competent)
- Sabre 27 ASF ( Pilot Akane 'Shredder' Tonoe, competent)

- Warhammer 6K (Gustav Strom, veteran)
- Wolverine 6M maybe modified (Stefano Moro, veteran)
- Wolverine 6M (Anton Gilenius, green)
- Phoenix Hawk (Qasim ibn Fawzi al'Dabih, veteran)

- Striker
- 2 Scorpion (LRM)
- 2 Scorpion (normal) (all units Green)

- Jump infantry platoon (Lieutenant Cornelia Ryan, competent)
- Karnov (Green)

- Motorized laser platoon (Lieutenant Stephan Ambrose, green); used for security more than anything else.

- Heavy recovery vehicle (Martha, the one provided by Daryk)

- 6 flatbed trucks (to say a random number; I am not counting those just saying that we have them)
- Assorted jeeps

Sounds good?
« Last Edit: 20 November 2018, 02:16:33 by Elmoth »

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #46 on: 19 November 2018, 18:22:29 »
No no, it is not a problem. Just that it sounded short to be a veteran. If he spent 3 years in a hell hole being shelled daily I can see he being a perfect veteran by the end of it :) Just that 3 years sounded short at first sight.

Regarding modifications, maybe it is better if we leave them out unless someone has a really strong inclination for it ("I have always craved to have a locust with an arms!!!"). After all the idea was KISS, not to put a lot of extra rules in.

Cheers,
Xavi
« Last Edit: 19 November 2018, 18:35:19 by Elmoth »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #47 on: 19 November 2018, 18:40:15 »
I am a Blazer Cannon fanatic, so I at least fit the "really want" criteria.  It also turns Stefano's Wolverine into a completely energy based 'mech, simplifying logistics somewhat.

I'm up to the end of his Agitator module at the moment.  That plus Insurgent and his Anti-Mech training make him VERY scary out of 'mech.  I'm really not sure how many points I'm going to have left for 'mech skills when I get there...

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #48 on: 19 November 2018, 18:58:01 »
this is for everybody's enjoyment, so go for it. Super dupper blazer cannon it is :) I hope he also wears a blazer ou of the mech.  ;D

Ok, let's look at THE MISSIONS! Suggestions, so feel free to comment and say alternatives.

PINK MISSION:
- Contractor: ???? (Maskirovska? A mafia organization? Both?)
- Objective: Retrieval of a person of interest from a FedCom prison.
- Intel: The prison is lightly garrisoned, with a light mech lance OR a few vehicles but the place has fixed defences.
- Command: DYI, so full rights.
- Salvage: Full rights.
- Payment: 1 month worth of costs (that is 20 points for our unit) +20 points.
- Jumpship costs paid.
- distance, 1 long jump.

REACH ENTERPRISES MISSION
- Contractor: undisclosed, corporation.
- Objective: Raid on a civilian level fusion engines production line in Kurita space. Reasons of why this is important undisclosed.
- Intel: Yin&Yang Corporation is a major power in planet XXXX, even if they are not in the broader universe. They control the production facilities around the main city of the planet, and according to the contractor "need to be taught a lesson". Go in, cause as much damage as possible to infrastructure and get out. there are 3 buildings specially marked in the satellite map images as top priority. Defences are liekly to be a few infantry platoons and some light mechs.
- Command: Full rights. 
- Salvage: 50%.
- Payment: half a month worth of costs (10 pts) + 5 points per destroyed priority building.
- Jumpship costs paid.
- Distance, 1 short jump.

Sound good?

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #49 on: 19 November 2018, 19:20:03 »
Just posted over in the IC thread - let’s get this staff meeting started and talk contracts!

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #50 on: 19 November 2018, 19:36:06 »
OK, I just got Stefano to balance, though I'm not sure if spending 800 points on his 'mech is right.  He ended up with a 7 WILL and 7 levels of Small Arms backed with 5 levels of Quick Draw.  His other level 5 skills are: Gunnery/'Mech (base 3), Leadership, Perception, Martial Arts.  At level 4, he has: Piloting/Mech (base 4), Career/Soldier, Negotiation, Tactics/Infantry, Demolitions, Streetwise/FWL, Protocol/Mercenary, Interrogation, and Driving/Ground (he may have stolen Martha himself!).  I'm strongly considering tweaking things so he can take the "Urban Guerilla" Special Pilot Ability from the AToW Companion.
« Last Edit: 19 November 2018, 20:05:04 by Daryk »

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #51 on: 20 November 2018, 02:14:32 »
Not very familiar with AToW myself but go with the fluff. Make the character you want included in the story, not what the rules would allow you. That is how I think about characters at least :)

So Stefano seems to be a gunslinger duellist. Probably a hitman. And he has a big bad Wolverine horse. I can picture him wearing a blazer and a hat as his usual attire ;D A classy gunslinger. Kill them, but do so stylishly. And then he goes all black for groundpounder and no nonsense work and the demo charges start going off.

Stefano is against the jailbreak then. Interesting. Let's say that this is because the one that is to be rescued is actually controlling the jail from the inside and La Famiglia wants him in. And the Triad wants him out so they can push for control of the place. That could be something! Makes for an interesting escenario for the mission.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #52 on: 20 November 2018, 03:17:36 »
Sounds like a plan... I'll take some points out of paying for his 'mech and sink them into Urban Guerilla.  :thumbsup:

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #53 on: 20 November 2018, 13:10:59 »
Ok, let's look at THE MISSIONS! Suggestions, so feel free to comment and say alternatives.

PINK MISSION:
- Contractor: EDIT:  Free Capella (Tormano Liao)
- Objective: Retrieval of a person of interest from a FedCom prison.
- Intel: The prison is lightly garrisoned, with a light mech lance OR a few vehicles but the place has fixed defences.
- Command: DYI, so full rights.
- Salvage: Full rights.
- Payment: 1 month worth of costs (that is 20 points for our unit) +20 points.
- Jumpship costs paid.
- distance, 1 long jump.

REACH ENTERPRISES MISSION
- Contractor: undisclosed, corporation.
- Objective: Raid on a civilian level fusion engines production line in Kurita space. Reasons of why this is important undisclosed.
- Intel: Yin&Yang Corporation is a major power in planet XXXX, even if they are not in the broader universe. They control the production facilities around the main city of the planet, and according to the contractor "need to be taught a lesson". Go in, cause as much damage as possible to infrastructure and get out. there are 3 buildings specially marked in the satellite map images as top priority. Defenses are likely to be a few infantry platoons and some light mechs.
- Command: Full rights. 
- Salvage: 50%.
- Payment: half a month worth of costs (10 pts) + 5 points per destroyed priority building.
- Jumpship costs paid.
- Distance, 1 short jump.

Bolded alterations

@ Elmoth - What defines a short or long jump transit?

The two contacts are reasonable.  Qasim still thinks we should try to do both (Short hop to Combine then follow through to the Sarna March or inverse if we decide the prison break is time sensitive).  He will only have a minor issue with attacking the Dracs if its an Azami world but will sleep soundly otherwise.  He does care about the Salvage rights on #2 however and thinks we are getting ripped off unless the suits provide more benefit (preferably in discounts for future business or "gifts.")

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #54 on: 20 November 2018, 16:47:48 »
Bolded alterations

@ Elmoth - What defines a short or long jump transit?

Nice change thx.

Short and long are just a brain fart of mine. Ignore. The idea was to make the prison mission somewhat longer in transit distance, but not by much. It can be the other way around. I did not want to put more than 1 jump to avoid long transit times. Recharge times are around a week, IIRC, and I do not want the unit to be away that long. Say, one is 1t light years away and the other 30. It is still a single jump, but maybe there are some cost considerations. Not this time, but in future jumps. You could ignore it as easily :)

If anyone wants to propose concrete planets, be my guest. I have had the kid ill all day and couldn't post. Same if anyone wants to set up the meeting.

Salvage rights at 50% should not be very problematic in this mission but it is something that the characters can surely discuss. It can be a good thing to discuss in fact :)

Cheers
Xavi

PS: i just had a vision of why Kowalski is not piloting anymore. He has a bad case of radiation poisoning from jumping around in his spider. He might be done in a few missions... I plan to depict him as ill if nobody objects.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #55 on: 20 November 2018, 17:25:20 »
I would be leaning more towards the Reach contract as it seems more on the up and up.
But I could see us heading to the Sarna March after for the jailbreak.

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #56 on: 20 November 2018, 17:40:16 »
Should I have the La Famiglia offer a better job that conflicts directly with the jail break (like, say, fend off a merc unit making a run at an "undisclosed facility" on that planet)?

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #57 on: 20 November 2018, 17:52:35 »
I see no problem with either case. Or maybe they can change the target together rad to strike at the triads inside the jail. Maybe we are complicating it too much for starters, though LOL

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #58 on: 20 November 2018, 18:22:06 »
If Stefano loses the argument at the staff meeting, I'll have him go back to the Consigliore, who can introduce the job at that point.

Also, for the Jump Laser Platoon, I recommend swapping their vanilla Laser Rifles for Inteks (which are the same price), and giving them a single Automatic Grenade Launcher per squad.  That will increase their range to 3/6/9 and boost their damage to 3 points per squad without impacting their movement rate. AND it'll cost less up front (ongoing ammunition is another matter).  If you want to stay all laser, swap all but one Laser Rifle for an Intek.  That will increase the range without reducing the damage (the single vanilla Laser Rifle becomes the sole Secondary weapon).

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #59 on: 20 November 2018, 21:17:03 »
I propose the following planets for the contracts.

Combine Civilian World - Kaus Media

Prison Break - Devil's Rock

The two worlds are four jumps apart (I have a spreadsheet). The Rock Is two jumps, KM is three from Galatea.

Register