Author Topic: Sonic Detectors?  (Read 1426 times)

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Sonic Detectors?
« on: 18 April 2014, 07:15:09 »
In "Decision at Thunder Rift," Grayson worries the bandits will have "sonic detectors" that use computer-controlled filters to eliminate background noise and pick up even a whispered conversation. 

As far back as TRO:3026, we had rules for various kinds of remote sensors - seismic, heat, motion, etc., and the AToW ruleset adds radar and trip-line, while the old Tactical Handbook had MagRes sensors.  I've never seen RPG or other rules for the kind of sonic detectors mentioned in Decision at Thunder Rift. 

Have I overlooked something?
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
Re: Sonic Detectors?
« Reply #1 on: 18 April 2014, 11:56:52 »
Hi,

Closest I can think of is the "shotgun microphone", and I think there was another device that could read vibrations on glass, so they could listen through a window. Both for RPG-scale items, used back in the Third Edition rules.

Thanks,

- Nobody of any Significance

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Re: Sonic Detectors?
« Reply #2 on: 18 April 2014, 12:22:52 »
Thanks, Herb.  Much obliged.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Register