Author Topic: 2011-11-30 Thirteen [Craig A. Reed]  (Read 4963 times)

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
2011-11-30 Thirteen [Craig A. Reed]
« on: 30 November 2011, 09:38:07 »
They say war changes a man...

... and it's often difficult to tell if those changes are better or worse. But when a Lyran MechWarrior on Tharkad just after the Word takes hold is assigned a haunted 'Mech...

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
Re: 2011-11-30 Thirteen [Craig A. Reed]
« Reply #1 on: 30 November 2011, 11:09:35 »
I actually really liked this story.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Siberian-troll

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 03 December 2011, 08:23:39 »
Superb story.  Our russian community in awe from it.

I know, that Gar cannot survive the blakist occupation, but may we have some more stories about him? 
« Last Edit: 03 December 2011, 08:27:21 by Siberian-troll »

Jerrard

• Private
« Reply #3 on: 05 December 2011, 08:14:16 »
Sounded like the start of a great new series. Finally some more input on the Blakist assault on Tharkad.

DEZOAT

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 05 December 2011, 09:54:49 »
 O0 I love the story. I hope it will be a on going series. I love Gar sister in the story. I love the part when she said  "BUSTED" ;D

ShockaTime

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 05 December 2011, 12:46:24 »
meh. this story didn't really do anything for me, and it was fairly predictable. although i say that this isn't really my type of story, so it may just be that.

Spirit Never Dies - Second Spirit Chasseurs - Clan Blood Spirit
Raven Alliance

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 05 December 2011, 12:48:16 »
finally got around to reading this one. it was okay i had some problems with the description of the zeus and the dialogue wasn't the best.

i will say this: i was predisposed to dislike it, i don't like 'ghost' stories, and the fact that it was lyran (on tharkad during the jihad no less) wasn't enough to make up for it.
"Warriors, not war machines, are the backbone of the Hell's Horses. While others worship the BattleMech as the ultimate weapon, the men and women of this Clan see even this awesome piece of technology as the tool it is. We have held to this philosophy since the days of our first Khan, who knew that the value of the common soldier far outstripped the brute force of the BattleMech. It is one reason our Clan possesses fewer mechs than most, and has led many to underestimate our fierceness and courage. Our survival against all challengers when others have fallen proves the folly of such arrogance, and testifies to the wisdom of our founders."
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel
Star Captain Logan Cobb-666th Assault War Cluster, Star Commander Octavian-The Thunder Heart Cluster

DechanFraser

• Recruit
« Reply #7 on: 11 December 2011, 00:14:15 »
I know, that Gar cannot survive the blakist occupation

I wouldn't bet on that.

"Among the new crop of Tharkad nobility attending was the new Baron Ansgar Shurasky and his lovely wife, Wilva. The baron, a hero of both the Federated Commonwealth Civil War and the Jihad, still looks pale and drawn from years of combat. He was wearing a LAAF dress uniform with his new rank of colonel and the Alliance Star around his neck. Wilva looked stunning in an off-the-shoulder Steiner-blue dress."

Source:  http://www.battlecorps.com/BC2/news.html?article=619

This is one of my favorite BattleCorps stories from 2011.  It is an interesting story of a person who, despite not being well, steps forward to do the best he can when the need arises.  Craig Reed has written a few stories this year and I look forward to future stories from him.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 11 December 2011, 04:26:51 »
 :o
Wow - I had totally missed that news item. Thanks for the quote!
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Siberian-troll

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 11 December 2011, 04:45:15 »
I wouldn't bet on that.

Thank you, I missed that too.

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
  • My blood runs the color of jade.
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #10 on: 12 December 2011, 00:34:46 »
It wouldn't surprise me if that particular news brief was written by the author of this story...  ;D

Or, failing that, the story was probably inspired by that note.

Philip A. LeeManaging Editor of Shrapnel, the Official BattleTech Magazine. Author of BattleCorps stories A Wolf in the Eyrie, Half of a Warrior, Seeds of Loyalty, Whispering Death, Fragments of History, A Living Epitaph, Double Down, So Costly a Sacrifice, Rain Dance, Quail Hunting, A Show of Force, and A Keystone Arch, Seven Years' Bad Luck, High Value Target, The Face of the Enemy, Horn and Fang, and A Measure of Clarity
Twitter: @JoeChummer
Author Page
Official Website

PhoeniX0302

• Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 12 December 2011, 05:22:18 »
I read the story a few days ago, and I have to say, although it might be predictable, it was nonetheless good entertainment!
And I would love to see a follow-up!

Demos

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 13 December 2011, 03:59:41 »
I'm normally not a fan of "ghost" stories, but I liked this story (despite the ghost).
Hopefully we'll see more of Gar and the fight against blakist occupation.
"Among the new crop of Tharkad nobility attending was the new Baron Ansgar Shurasky and his lovely wife, Wilva. The baron, a hero of both the Federated Commonwealth Civil War and the Jihad, still looks pale and drawn from years of combat. He was wearing a LAAF dress uniform with his new rank of colonel and the Alliance Star around his neck. Wilva looked stunning in an off-the-shoulder Steiner-blue dress."

Source:  http://www.battlecorps.com/BC2/news.html?article=619
Cool, thanks! I normally skip this news items. Nice to see one with a link to a story.
"WoB - Seekers of Serenity, Protectors of Human Purity, Enforcers of Blake's Will!"

Register