Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Early 3050s (pre-3055 but after Tukayyid) you are hired by a mech/weapon manufacturer to get samples of Clan technology for them to reverse engineer.  They want to be able to improve their knowledge base to produce more advanced weapons than the standard/3025 models they are currently producing at their factories.  The contract, of course, pays more the better sources of information you can provide along with a variety of samples- depth & breath of Clans' tech- which will be overseen by the company's liaison which has oversight.

The mission plan calls for bypassing the Clan frontlines, trying to get the raiders into the 'rear' of the Occupation Zones where garrison units are stationed and supplies could be getting shuttled forward from wherever the Clans are from.  You might even be able to find a repair facility where the Clans are rebuilding/refitting their mechs away from the frontlines.  The merc raiders and their supports have very little specific intelligence about what can be expected on each world, using some information gleaned from Twycross and Teniente along with other House raids for projections.  They have a advisor paid for by the company that has experienced combat against the Clans.

Also to consider . . . whatever the mercs end up recovering, they are going to have on the same dropships/jumpship until they get back around the Clan/House frontlines.  The mercs will go their own way while the company's jumpship & dropship will continue back to their HQ.  So . . . a few weeks . . . maybe months . . . being able to look at what they won from the Clans.

I am asking this b/c I was a bit surprised by the answers in this- https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=84792.0 poll.
Combat Vehicles / Re: Weight Budget Challenge
« Last post by Ramblefire on Today at 22:24:04 »
Code: [Select]
Mayfly Swarm Tank

Mass: 15 tons
Movement Type: Wheeled
Power Plant: 85 ICE
Cruising Speed: 75.6 kph
Maximum Speed: 118.8 kph
Armor: Standard
Armament:
     1 SRM 4
Manufacturer: Unknown
     Primary Factory: Unknown
Communication System: Unknown
Targeting & Tracking System: Unknown
Introduction Year: 3000
Tech Rating/Availability: E/X-C-C-C
Cost: 188,931 C-bills

Type: Mayfly
Technology Base: Inner Sphere (Introductory)
Movement Type: Wheeled
Tonnage: 15
Battle Value: 287

Equipment                                          Mass
Internal Structure                                  1.5
Engine                        85 ICE                  5
Cruising MP: 7
Flank MP: 11
Heat Sinks:                   0                       0
Control Equipment:                                  1.0
Power Amplifier:                                    0.0
Turret:                                             0.5
Armor Factor                  64                      4

Internal   Armor   
                          Structure  Value   
     Front                   2         15   
     R/L Side               2/2      12/12   
     Rear                    2         10   
     Turret                  2         15   

Weapons
and Ammo              Location    Tonnage   
SRM 4                  Turret       2.0     
SRM 4 Ammo (25)         Body        1.0     
I've adapted my old Mayfly swarm tank to be 15 tons. It's a bit slower but it carries an SRM4 now which is a decent enough punch I suppose. It has as much armor as a scorpion. It's about half the cost of a scorpion.
Perfect for giving to those drafted from portions of the population that that nobody gives a damn about. Orphans, homeless, debtors, working class drug addicts, neurodivergent, imprisoned persons, etc.
Patient Number 9- Ozzy Osbourne
In AlphaStrike, one can exchange CT (cargo transport) for IT (infantry transport) by agreement before a game. I don't know page references for similar in TW, but expect they're in one of the supplements (probably TO?) Either way, I imagine welding tubing for the suits to hang onto should be simple enough ;)

Even with that, we need rules for them getting out of said Flat Bed like Mechanized while not being actually Mechanized, rather than just assuming they exist.  It's not like the CAR rules in Alpha Strike allow the Infantry to get out easier than a normal Infantry Bay.
In my head-canon, I distinguish between tactical deployment, and logistic deployment. The latter is thin-skinned transport, to get the BA from point A to point B in good time. A subset of this could be use of fast hovers or VTOLs to deploy heavier BA in blocking positions, or lighter BA into spotting/ambush positions, ahead of actual engagement.

You've now got me picturing a squad of Kanazuchis awkwardly squeezed onto a bullet train.
In AlphaStrike, one can exchange CT (cargo transport) for IT (infantry transport) by agreement before a game. I don't know page references for similar in TW, but expect they're in one of the supplements (probably TO?) Either way, I imagine welding tubing for the suits to hang onto should be simple enough ;)
nice stuff, looking forward to what comes next!
As long as you have the numbers you can use more BA however they are widely reported as being in short supply due to the fragmentation of production and lack of doctrinal history. I think only the FWLM and AFFS used them in any real numbers while the DCMS was the only one without enough Omnis to actually use them like the Clans could and had Nova Cats to teach them.

My best thoughts on Battle Armor is that they are supplementary to Mechs (clearing out infantry from complex terrain with AP weapons) not necessarily to infantry. Infantry gets the most IMO from having tank/MechInf or artillery/field gun support.
The Inner Sphere / Re: The best place to go . . .
« Last post by DOC_Agren on Today at 21:08:03 »
Outreach. Dragoon training courses for all battlefield units. Maybe it was only for Battle Magic but I thought they would train technicians and support staff as well. Great location with lots of action on all sides, so lots of movement and equipment coming and going.
I will second this.. plus while it was a Merc World, everyone should have had dealers there.
When I started to play around with BA and mixing into Inf Merc forces, I was using my BA as the Heavy Weapon Support for the rest of the Inf force. 

as you get more and more BA suits available, I think I would look at swing it back around and use more BA and then keep my Inf assets for Building Clearing/Security Forces.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10