Author Topic: Empire of the Nerds: The Niops Association Thread  (Read 170077 times)

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Empire of the Nerds: The Niops Association Thread
« Reply #450 on: 30 October 2013, 13:31:12 »
The thing about Space Rome is that they are willing to use the carrot or the stick (though it can largely depend on the Caesar).  Sean tried to force the Lothian League into the MH.  Julius won them over by granting them places in the Senate, Marian Citizenship, and a three-year exemption from conscription (as well as largely leaving the existing leadership, to include Elena Logan, in charge).  Unification with the Hegemony would provide the industrial and military might to get Niops back on its feet and keep their people safe, and if they played their cards right Ignatius would probably let them keep running themselves and have voices in the Senate as well.  Not that I expect Niops to consider the loss of complete self-government to be worth the trade.  At least, not the powerful in Niops.  Some of the former refugee underclass might see becoming Marian plebeians as a step up.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #451 on: 30 October 2013, 13:32:10 »
Xenophobia is probably higher than it's been in centuries in Niops these days.  Acts of violence towards FWL refugees back in the 3080s is a good sign of that, as are the protests outside the Republic embassy.

But, no, it also isn't surprising.  Other than the occasional raid attempt by dump pirates or bandits that undoubtedly ended horribly, Niops' history had been relatively peaceful.  Even the Capellan refugee absorption was relatively peaceful.

Then you have an influx of FWL refugees, a failed raid by the Marians, a coup attempt backed by a foreign merc unit, a successful Marian raid, a civil war, an invasion and nukings by the Word of Blake, an imposed embassy and attempt (likely) at a banana republic by the Rim Commonality, the Republic deciding to plant an embassy (which may have actually gotten the Rim Commonality to finally leave), and enough unrest during all this that it's nearly 15 years before you have elections again.

Is it any wonder they're paranoid?  Throw in a suspicious shift in Marian policy from raiding and conquoring to "no, really, we want to be your friend" and the FWL getting the band back together...

Actually, know who Niops would probably get along great with?  The Regulans.  Aren't they keeping independent from the nuFWL, and still having their hate on for the Blakists?

A Jihad question ended when in 3090? or 3085? And we are in 3145? Not like almost 60 years since the Bombings of WOB? I think too much time has passed to walk even wary of things that happened before that time.
If we were all so we'd be checking Marians all visitors to Alphard by neutron bombing? And ilyrianos rebels, supported by wob first and then by the FWL we do run all Ilyrians? We have enemies if we are waiting for your visit and clear this, but seeing everyone as the enemy as a society do not think it ends well for Nyops

From what i readed in the FM 3145, Niops is surely the influence and espionage battleground between the new-FWL, the Regulans, Marians and Canopus, all side trying to influence the goverment and hampering the efforts of the others.

Exactly Nyops at this time for the issue of espionage seems Panama in the 80

Actually, Niops would not be too friendly towards Lester's crew and rather more to the FWL.  Check the Rim Commonality arc of the last novels.

I know that novel, as it is called?

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #452 on: 30 October 2013, 13:33:36 »
Quote from: Colt Ward
Actually, Niops would not be too friendly towards Lester's crew and rather more to the FWL.  Check the Rim Commonality arc of the last novels.

Which novels and are they available as eBooks?
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #453 on: 30 October 2013, 13:34:50 »
The thing about Space Rome is that they are willing to use the carrot or the stick (though it can largely depend on the Caesar).  Sean tried to force the Lothian League into the MH.  Julius won them over by granting them places in the Senate, Marian Citizenship, and a three-year exemption from conscription (as well as largely leaving the existing leadership, to include Elena Logan, in charge).  Unification with the Hegemony would provide the industrial and military might to get Niops back on its feet and keep their people safe, and if they played their cards right Ignatius would probably let them keep running themselves and have voices in the Senate as well.  Not that I expect Niops to consider the loss of complete self-government to be worth the trade.  At least, not the powerful in Niops.  Some of the former refugee underclass might see becoming Marian plebeians as a step up.

A gradual integration as commonwealth nor despise serious thing, as the theme of paranoia and hatred of everything foreign surely would bring problems and probably some attempt at rebellion

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #454 on: 30 October 2013, 14:34:37 »
Yes, they are available on Amazon, which is where I got the FWL arc from.  Summary is . . . Rim Commonality has a decent relationship with Niops.  Quite a bit of trade in fact.  Niops handed over a intel document to the Rim Commonality government asking if it was true.  The document was a carefully prepared yet detailed plan to invade Niops.  Rim found out it was a Regulan plot to isolate the Commonality from their neighbors- Marians, Niops, Westover, other FWL independent worlds.

Lester misread Niops, which let the Rim Commonality know about the plot.  Sort of backfired on the Regulans.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #455 on: 30 October 2013, 14:36:59 »
I have a novel to read. Which one was this?
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #456 on: 30 October 2013, 14:39:32 »
Not too sure . . . and seriously, it was about two or three pages.  It was part of the issue of pulling Westover into the Rim Commonality before the FWL reformed.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #457 on: 30 October 2013, 14:44:33 »
IIRC, it was in To Ride the Chimera . I will check when i get back home.

Edit: Yeap, chapter 25, Regulus was making a very good propaganda campaign on the worlds between them and the Rim Collection, including Niops VII and Westover. Aparently Lester did not count in the honesty (or naivety) of the Niopsians, who simply asked the Rimmers if what Regulus was saying.
« Last Edit: 30 October 2013, 22:55:13 by Baldur Mekorig »
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #458 on: 30 October 2013, 14:45:51 »
IIRC, it was in To Ride the Chimera . I will check when i get back home.

Ah, Okay thanks for the tip

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
  • Ravaging the enemies of House Davion
« Reply #459 on: 31 October 2013, 09:19:30 »
I can see that happening with the Regulans. The Rim Commonality is easily the weaker(or weakest) part of the neoFWL and also the most isolated. I'm surprised it hasn't been annexed back into Regulan territory by 3145 with the neoFWL distracted by the Canopian-Andurien-Capellan raids.

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #460 on: 31 October 2013, 09:40:02 »
I can see that happening with the Regulans. The Rim Commonality is easily the weaker(or weakest) part of the neoFWL and also the most isolated. I'm surprised it hasn't been annexed back into Regulan territory by 3145 with the neoFWL distracted by the Canopian-Andurien-Capellan raids.

At the moment I think are most looking Regulans its border with Wolf Empire than anything, independent worlds have been annexing estimate only and must be preparing something for the Rim Commonality, regarding Nyops not change their policy but if they do be advisable before any bidder is impatient

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #461 on: 31 October 2013, 10:06:48 »
The Regulans tried to annex the Rim Commonality either at the end of the Jihad or just after it.  The Rim said, no and had the military force to back it up . . . perhaps some help from the Marik Protectors next door too.
Colt Ward

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #462 on: 31 October 2013, 10:52:52 »
At the moment I think are most looking Regulans its border with Wolf Empire than anything, independent worlds have been annexing estimate only and must be preparing something for the Rim Commonality, regarding Nyops not change their policy but if they do be advisable before any bidder is impatient

The Wolves have bigger fish to fry, namely Terra. The Regulans can safely assume that flank is covered as they gun for the Commonality.

The Regulans tried to annex the Rim Commonality either at the end of the Jihad or just after it.  The Rim said, no and had the military force to back it up . . . perhaps some help from the Marik Protectors next door too.

The Regulan Hussars at the end of the Jihad was a force of elite warriors and ramshackle machines. The RSMC of 3145 can roll over the Commonality anytime and claim its factories for itself, especially with Andurien, Canopus and the Hegemony putting pressure with raids on its borders.

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #463 on: 01 November 2013, 02:19:29 »
The Regulan Hussars at the end of the Jihad was a force of elite warriors and ramshackle machines. The RSMC of 3145 can roll over the Commonality anytime and claim its factories for itself, especially with Andurien, Canopus and the Hegemony putting pressure with raids on its borders.

The problem is that the Capellans aren't interested in a war with the nuFWL (at least not yet).  They are still focused on expanding further into the Capellan March.  While they have the forces to defend against raids, if the nuFWL decides to launch a concentrated push, they would have to redeploy troops currently deployed against the AFFS.

While the RSMC has a lot of units, they are of varying strengths and quality.  Many of them are incapable of joining an offensive whether because they are still in the process of forming (or rebuilding after suffering combat losses, such as the Fourth) and not combat ready or simply cannot be moved without causing more problems such as guarding a vital world or facility.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #464 on: 01 November 2013, 08:48:48 »
I did not say the Capellans. I did not even say that they would  need to invade. Just raiding and pressuring the Commonality is enough for the Regulans to roll in and sweep them clean.  You are also giving the neoFWL too much credit. They are currently surrounded in every direction and all borders can erupt into major wars at any time. If they pushed against the Confederation, that's just inviting the Wolves to come in and tear off another chunk of neoLeague territory again.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #465 on: 01 November 2013, 14:55:55 »
Except Alaric has peace with them and has shown an interest in sticking to the peace.  The Wolf Empire does not have one with the Lyrans as any Herperian can tell you.
Colt Ward

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #466 on: 01 November 2013, 15:11:10 »
I did not say the Capellans. I did not even say that they would  need to invade. Just raiding and pressuring the Commonality is enough for the Regulans to roll in and sweep them clean.  You are also giving the neoFWL too much credit. They are currently surrounded in every direction and all borders can erupt into major wars at any time. If they pushed against the Confederation, that's just inviting the Wolves to come in and tear off another chunk of neoLeague territory again.

The Regulans were pushed off several worlds and the FWL was born despite being under pressure by Capellan and Andurien raiders.  Raids alone aren't going to be enough to keep the FWL's attention.

With the Regulans surrounded on three sides by the FWL, they wouldn't have the forces available to invade the Rim Commonality without opening the Principality to invasion.  Unfortunately for the Regulans, they apparently no longer have any warships to call upon and they also lost the main academy.

The Wolves also have plenty hunting grounds among the the remains of the Lyran Commonwealth.  Not to mention they are still playing the centuries old one-upmanship game with the Falcons.  Seizing Hesperus II and Tharkad (perhaps even Galatea) is of prime interest to the Wolves if only to show off and further humiliate the Falcons.  With their non-aggression pact with the FWL securing one border, they are not likely to move against them in force for now especially with the unpredictable Malvina Hazen in charge of the Falcons.  Although with these new Wolves you never know what to expect.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #467 on: 01 November 2013, 21:05:28 »
We're just assuming a lot here. Let's just agree to disagree.

Terminax

• Lieutenant
  • Never despair. Never surrender.
« Reply #468 on: 06 March 2014, 09:59:19 »
Looking at starting a new ATOW campaign in the Niops Association... I have some measly data on Niops VII, but next to nothing on Niops V and VI... I've already looked at the standard places (Sarna and PDFs) - anyone have any clue to what kind of climates/atmosphere's they have?

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #469 on: 06 March 2014, 15:53:12 »
Nope. Niops VII is the only one we have detailed info on, and even then it's limited.

Niops VII was settled first, so presumably it's the most earthlike.  Expect Niops V and VI to be warmer than VII, and more marginal.  Most likely, they're tidally locked worlds.  Also, red dwarf stars give off light mostly in the IR range, so expect them to be fairly dim worlds with a definite reddish cast.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #470 on: 06 March 2014, 17:43:39 »
Actually, it's worse than I thought.

For kicks, I tried running Niops through the beta version of the Solar System creation rules.  It's a mess.

Niops is an M5V red dwarf, with a mass only 20% that of Sol, our sun.  Luminosity is a low .624% that of our Sun.  Yeah...

So, orbital positions!  Using the rules, which are pretty good about getting the science fight, the closest stable orbital slot is around 0.08 AU from the star.  The next one out is 0.14 AU.  The habitability zone for an M5V is from 0.049 to .101 AU.   Shoving seven planets close enough to Niops to get numbers 5-7 in the habitability zone is not feasible.

Options:

1.  Use a gas giant for that first planet in the zone.  The gas giant's moons are inhabited, including some the size of standard terrestrial planets.  Technically feasible, but nomenclature is wrong: the gas giant would be Niops I, and its moons Niops I a through Niops Ig (ie. Niops V = Niops Ie, Niops VI = Niops If, and Niops VII. = Niops Ig).

2.  Asteroid belt.  Niops I through VII are dwarf planets.  Gravity and atmospheres become issues.

Terminax

• Lieutenant
  • Never despair. Never surrender.
« Reply #471 on: 06 March 2014, 22:12:05 »
Or don't worry about silly things like science at all :D

I'm working Niops VII as a smaller, colder version of Earth, Niops VI as a warmer, dry world with enough water resources (after purification) to allow for agriculture. Also has Mining. Niops V being warmer yet with significant volcanic activity. It's only barely habitable and mainly done so for the easy access to minerals.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #472 on: 06 March 2014, 22:16:23 »
Or don't worry about silly things like science at all :D

It's Niops. If you're not worrying about Science!, you're doing it wrong. ;)

I'm working Niops VII as a smaller, colder version of Earth, Niops VI as a warmer, dry world with enough water resources (after purification) to allow for agriculture. Also has Mining. Niops V being warmer yet with significant volcanic activity. It's only barely habitable and mainly done so for the easy access to minerals.

Sounds reasonable.  And the Niops system has an asteroid belt somewhere, too, based on the canon asteroid mining efforts.

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #473 on: 06 March 2014, 22:30:24 »

For kicks, I tried running Niops through the beta version of the Solar System creation rules.  It's a mess.

Niops is an M5V red dwarf, with a mass only 20% that of Sol, our sun.  Luminosity is a low .624% that of our Sun.  Yeah...

So, orbital positions!  Using the rules, which are pretty good about getting the science fight, the closest stable orbital slot is around 0.08 AU from the star.  The next one out is 0.14 AU.  The habitability zone for an M5V is from 0.049 to .101 AU.   Shoving seven planets close enough to Niops to get numbers 5-7 in the habitability zone is not feasible.

Options:

1.  Use a gas giant for that first planet in the zone.  The gas giant's moons are inhabited, including some the size of standard terrestrial planets.  Technically feasible, but nomenclature is wrong: the gas giant would be Niops I, and its moons Niops I a through Niops Ig (ie. Niops V = Niops Ie, Niops VI = Niops If, and Niops VII. = Niops Ig).

2.  Asteroid belt.  Niops I through VII are dwarf planets.  Gravity and atmospheres become issues.

Option 3 would be to use brown dwarves in the outer rings to daisy chain habitability further out.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #474 on: 06 March 2014, 23:50:20 »

Options:

I'd go with option one, with the colonists using the wrong nomenclature because they said so.  It'd hardly be the weirdest thing ever in BT.  Maybe say something along the lines of "we thought it would make the system sound more menacing if they thought these were planets."  Or something.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Niopsian

• Lieutenant
  • I dunno.
« Reply #475 on: 11 March 2014, 15:27:33 »
Why not make Niops I & II and Niops III & IV two pairs of double planets? You retain the naming conventions and get to shove V - VII that much closer to the star.

Unlikely? Probably. Unpossible? I don't know.

Unabashedly awesome? Yes.

EDIT/ADDITION:

Something that has always seemed odd to me is that Niops (as far as I know) is the only multi-world system that gets one dot on the map for each inhabited planet, whereas places like Talon/Wernke or Odessa/Gabriel only get a single dot. Niops was placed where it was because it was supposed to be focusing on stellar evolution - is there any evidence that maybe it's a multiple star star system?
« Last Edit: 11 March 2014, 15:38:05 by Niopsian »

...cut a manager in to come up with a plan and the next thing you know you're big in Japan

Gravedigger

• Freelance Writer
  • Sergeant
« Reply #476 on: 12 March 2014, 05:16:11 »
The Mica system is also multiple dots for a single system.

Aaron "Gravedigger" Pollyea

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #477 on: 23 April 2014, 23:52:01 »
I know this discussion was a few pages back . . . but was it ever determined what type of Royal mechs were produced for Niops?  What about armor?  I know they had SL-era body armor and individual weapons along with Nighthawks for the elite infantry . . . by the time of MWDA only a few squads of suits are left . . . right?

Looking for a bit of a set up for a merc unit . . . Sons of Korhal.
Colt Ward

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #478 on: 24 April 2014, 01:11:24 »
I know this discussion was a few pages back . . . but was it ever determined what type of Royal mechs were produced for Niops?  What about armor?  I know they had SL-era body armor and individual weapons along with Nighthawks for the elite infantry . . . by the time of MWDA only a few squads of suits are left . . . right?

Looking for a bit of a set up for a merc unit . . . Sons of Korhal.

They never spelled it out, unfortunately.  Only four actual unit types have been specified by name for Niops:  the Black Knight, the Highlander, the Burke tank and the Nighthawk XXI and XXII.  Their aerospace arm was stated to be the equivalent of their BattleMech arm:  on the heavy side and full of Star League designs.  For 'Mechs, vehicles and aero, they used to roll on the ComStar tables before everything went to hell in a handbasket.  Their infantry was never expressly spelled out to be equipped like the old SLDF infantry, but the implication was there based on their other equipment.

By 3145, Niops reportedly has four squads of Nighthawks guarding the governmental facilities on Niops VII.  Their main military academy (yes, it's described as "main") is the Central Military School on Niops VII, which has a highly active training program for infantry, an active vehicle training program, and an underfunded MechWarrior program.

Their current forces also state the "one bright spot in an otherwise bleak recent history has been the formal addition of infantry forces to the NAM in both unarmored and battlearmor alike."  That implies some use of battlearmor beyond just the Nighthawk, and perhaps also indicates that the Niops Association is placing greater credence in battlearmor than in BattleMechs these days.  Field Manual 3145 is a bit sparse in describing the NAM's composition, mentioning they have a single BattleMech regiment at 85% strength, with a D tech rating on the RAT tables.  There's no mention of their current aerospace asset strength, but at their peak pre-Jihad, they had a full wing of 54 aerospace fighters.  Niops now use the Periphery table, rather than the Republic table.  It's probably a safe bet that, with their Workshops not having been rebuilt, much of what they currently field consists of whatever techs have been been able to salvage of old NAM units and the invading Word of Blake units, with imports taking care of the rest.

With that said...Niops might be a bit of an unfriendly environment for mercenaries.  It was, after all, a merc unit that set the ball rolling in their civil war with a coup attempt.  Your best bet would be if your merc unit was signed on with Interstellar Expeditions, whom Niops is in tight with (their joint asteroid mining project, Niops Mining, is currently the largest industry in the Niops system).

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #479 on: 24 April 2014, 01:30:44 »
Oh I remember and understand that . . . I know we discussed various units that would make sense at one point- I think the Chameleon and Guillotine make sense, perhaps the Crockett because a trainer as well.  The Guillotine was around so long and the standard for the SLDF it sounds reasonable IMO.

If you played SC, I was sort of thinking for backstory on a bunch of conventional force mercs to be led by Arcturus Mengsk, born on V or VI to 4SW Free Tikonov refugees.  Sort of slide that whole backstory with Niops council being the Confederation . . . and Mengsk supported by the Blakists to return in the mid '70s when they were savaged.  Just like they used Waco to take it to the Dragoons.
Colt Ward

Register