Author Topic: Nikita's Heavy Cav group discussion  (Read 32427 times)

whistler

• Lieutenant
  • We can out-maneuver /most/ fortifications
Nikita's Heavy Cav group discussion
« on: 13 October 2011, 02:22:23 »
this thread is for players of the Nikita's Heavy Cavalry games from the old boards.  even if you didn't have a chance to get into Heart of the Storm, it would still be nice to hear from you.

:clears throat: 

hey guys :)

first, let me thank you all for your emails / PMs.  i really appreciate you guy's concern and well-wishes. (and the fact that i haven't been lynched :D)  i've also gotten questions about restarting the game or even a new one... so many, in fact, that i feel compelled to start a thread here.

so, onto the matter at hand.  honestly, i have somewhat mixed feelings about restarting the game.  on the one hand, the fact that i may still end up dropping off the grid bothers me alot... i really don't like just popping up only to disappear again.  however, i invested a massive amount of time and energy in planning Heart of the Storm, and i thought it was going to be pretty damn fun.  i have my first major post from the old forum's thread, as well as my own materials, but that's it.  since i have the intro, last game's wrap-up, and the player profiles i had you write, restarting wouldn't be too difficult.  we just didn't get far enough in to have lost anything important.

to answer your questions, i suppose what it comes down to is your interest.  i know many of you are playing with Warclaw and Black Panzer on another site, so you may not even be interested in restarting yet again.  i would have to have at least four returning players, two in particular, but i won't say who because i don't want to put any undo pressure on anyone.  there is also the notion of starting a new game entirely, which is also possible.  again, it's all about how many people want to play.  bring players back who were not able to play a year ago shouldn't prove to be a problem, as modifications can easily be made.

for the unit / player roster, as well as the first entry into the new arc, please check here: http://www.classicbattletech.com/forumarchive/index.php/topic,74062.0.html.  in fact, i'd like you to go over it if you are on the fence, one way or the other.

even if we just end up shooting the breeze here, i'd like to have a place to talk to my fellow Cavaliers.  i hereby declare this thread open! :D
Quote from: 3rdCrucisLancers
Whistler is not only a noted winner, he's a man's man, a generous philanthropist, a noted big game hunter, and a lover and a dancer. If he had a mustache it would be impeccably waxed. When he marches off to war, everyone else stays home.

Warclaw

• Master Sergeant
Re: Nikita's Heavy Cav group discussion
« Reply #1 on: 15 October 2011, 22:08:15 »
Well, if you decide to restart the game, I am interested.  I may not be able to give quite as much attention to it as before, since as you mentioned, I am involved in another game on another site, but I would definitely be interested.

whistler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 15 October 2011, 22:55:10 »
kinda surprised TT hasn't shown up yet, but glad to hear it 'Claw. :)
Whistler is not only a noted winner, he's a man's man, a generous philanthropist, a noted big game hunter, and a lover and a dancer. If he had a mustache it would be impeccably waxed. When he marches off to war, everyone else stays home.

blackpanzer

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 19 October 2011, 22:25:40 »
I would also be interested in whatever you have planned. After all, I blame you for starting me down the path of creating the said unit on the other site  ;)

whistler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 20 October 2011, 13:12:01 »
I would also be interested in whatever you have planned. After all, I blame you for starting me down the path of creating the said unit on the other site  ;)

thanks bro, i take that as a very high compliment. :)

Warclaw

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 23 October 2011, 21:46:55 »
So, any idea when you'll decide on the fate of the Heavy Cav?  Will we ride again?

whistler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 25 October 2011, 00:01:11 »
we'll saddle up if we get at least two more players, be they returning Cavaliers or fresh blood.  if we need to edit the roster to make room for new players or new characters, or Cavaliers who were not able to play a year ago, i'll take care of it.  at this point nothing is set in stone.
« Last Edit: 25 October 2011, 00:17:09 by whistler »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #7 on: 28 October 2011, 19:33:23 »
How much background should any new blood actually know?   I've avoided going too deep into the old thread on that basis.

Warclaw

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 28 October 2011, 21:02:40 »
How much background should any new blood actually know?   I've avoided going too deep into the old thread on that basis.

That really depends on your character background.  If you plan to bring forward a character that originates on the Cav's home base world of Tangueray, or one that spent the first campaign as an off-camera NPC, then you probably should read the record for backstory.

But if you wanted to play a merc just now joining the unit, with no such prior knowledge, then you don't really need to know a whole lot.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #9 on: 29 October 2011, 00:01:39 »
As a new player, I'd think a new hire would make the most sense.  What kind of troops are being hired at the moment?  And it's still around 3025, right?

Captain Vlad

• Corporal
« Reply #10 on: 29 October 2011, 00:07:12 »
Was looking for some online Battletech RP...would be interested though I'd like to see the thread referenced above, as I like to know what I'm getting into.  I keep getting a 404 error when I click on it.

whistler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 29 October 2011, 17:50:51 »
it looks like the old forum archive is down for some reason... but never fear, i can put up the first posts of the game here.  when the archive is back online (i suppose it has something to do with the recent forum reboot) it should be possible to post more detailed recaps from the previous game, i'll add the lance special abilities and character profiles.

Heart of the Storm (the name of the arc we'd be restarting) begins in late 3037.  The Heavy Cav has trekked across the Inner Sphere, from the fringes of the Davion end of the FedCom to the core of the House Steiner's FedCom domain... since we've made several stops along the way, including Solaris VII and Terra, there are plenty of opportunities for new recruits to join.  as Warclaw mentioned, your character could also be a periphery native from Tanguray, or you could even hail from the unit of ex-Davion pirates that we defeated in the last arc.

if you want a new character and / or BattleMech, that probably isn't going to be a problem.  however, no Heavy Cav mech is slower than 3/5, and the mech needs to fit the lance's role.

here is the current unit roster:

Nikita’s Heavy Cavalry: Die Another Day

BattleMech forces (The Heavy Cav)
Command Lance (Mustang):
Thunderbolt - Major Justin Radcliffe [V] / whistler
Battlemaster - Sergeant Vincent Sicorsky [V] / NPC
Victor - Staff Sergeant Aaron Erickson [V] / dragonfire
Wolverine - Sergeant Valentin Ilya Davideko [R] / GreyJaeger

Battle Lance (Viper):
Grand Dragon - Captain Ken Takeda [V] / Warclaw
Warhammer - Sergeant Lissette Kim [R] / NPC
Archer - Sergeant Monica Donnelson [R] / Captain Vlad
Hunchback - Sgt Major Carlos Monkfish [V] / TrueTanker

Strike Lance (Firefly):
Phoenix Hawk - Lieutennant Ethan [V] / CLS007
Griffin - Sergeant Eli Voss [R] / NPC
Wolverine - Staff Sergeant Guy "G" Vicelli [R] / Daryk
Gladiator - Staff Sergeant James Horvath [V] / GM

Vehicular forces (The Armored Cav)
Fast-Attack Lance (Blitz):
Drillson - Lt Commander Tan Hong Yu [V] / Black Panzer (1 man crew(+))
Drillson - Staff Sergeant Grayson Pakes [V] / NPC
Drillson - Staff Sergeant George Wildman [V] / NPC
Drillson - Sergeant Wyatt Vines [R] / NPC

Recon Lance (Slider):
Pegasus - Staff Sergeant Thomas Murphy [V] / Dave Talley (3 man crew)
Pegasus - Sergeant Normandue Christie [V] / NPC
Saracen - Sergeant Andreas von Breunig [R] / NPC (3 man crew)
Saracen - Sergeant Wyatt Vines [R] / NPC

Assault Lance (Crusher):
Demolisher - Lieutennant Mo Franks [V] / GM (6 man crew)
Demolisher - Staff Sergeant Rebecca Wampole [V] / NPC
Demolisher - Sergeant Beth Varisco[V] / NPC
Demolisher - Sergeant Gloria Bishop[G] / NPC

Airborne Forces (The Air Cav)
Aero lance (Angel):
Chippewa - Lieutennant Minori "Spitfire" Kushieda [V] / GM
Chippewa - Sergeant Taiga "Palmtop Tiger" Aisaka [V] / GM

Airborne Transport / Bomb Group (Downpour):
Torrent Heavy Bomber - Staff Sergeant Greg Albin [R] / NPC (10 man crew)
Torrent Heavy Bomber- Staff Sergeant Miles O'Leary [R] / NPC (10 man crew)

VTOL Lance (Hog):
Warrior - Staff Sergeant Mira Calliston [V] / NPC (2 man crew)
Warrior - Sergeant Granville Montage / NPC
Warrior - Sergeant Alvina Karla / NPC
Warrior - Sergeant Yale Mustapha / NPC

Infantry forces (The Mechanized Cav)
Infantry Division (Stonewall):
Heavy Mechanized Infantry (Stonewall 1-1) - Lieutenant Ron Buggerman [V] / GM
Heavy Mechanized Infantry (Stonewall 1-2) - Sergeant Kathy Parks [V] / NPC
Heavy Mechanized Infantry (Stonewall 1-3) - Sergeant Johnson Higgins [R] / NPC
Heavy Mechanized Infantry (Stonewall 1-4) - Sergeant Nils Varnana [G] / NPC
Jump Infantry (Stonewall 2-1) - Staff Sergeant Karl Lopiz [R] / GM
Jump Infantry (Stonewall 2-2) - Sergeant Jack Foster [R] / NPC

Rank Structure
248 combat personnel
40 techs / quartermaster personnel

Combat Personnel:
Private / PFC - infantry and vehicle crew only.  basic infantryman and crewmen ranks.
Corporal - infantry and vehicle crew only.  infantry squad leaders.
Sergeant - infantry platoon leaders and vehicle crew commanders.  basic MechWarrior rank.
Staff Sergeant - senior conventional leaders and experienced MechWarriors.
SGT Major - senior enlisted MechWarrior.
Lieutennant - lance / company leaders
Lt Commander - second officer / vehicle company commander [Tan Hong Yu / BlackPanzer]
Captain - executive officer / mech company commander [Ken Takeda / Warclaw]
Major - commanding officer / battalion commander [Justin Radcliffe / whistler]

Support Personnel:
Technician - regular mech / vehicles / aero tech. (generally one tech assigned to each vehicle)[up to player]
Senior Technician - technician detail leader. (details service vehicles in the same lance.  reassigned to a single unit when necessary.  senior techs are assigned to lance leaders.)[up to player]
Master Technician - lead technician. (supervises all details.  assigned to CO)[Paul Ryan]
Captain Technician - unit quartermaster and chief requisition officer. (considered a senior unit officer)[Jillian Albin]

===========

i'll add more details when the forum archive comes back online.
« Last Edit: 05 November 2011, 15:04:33 by whistler »

whistler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 29 October 2011, 17:52:42 »
the first post of the new arc.  i do have some more saved but i would still start it from here:
================================================================

Standing aboard the bridge of the DropShip Wayward Son, Major Justin Radcliffe felt out of place.  Procedures that he didn’t fully understand were being carried out by a crew he was incapable of leading, all in an environment that was fundamentally different from what he was used to.  Still, awkward as he felt, Justin was glad he had accepted the Captain’s invitation to witness their last jump.  He watched as the crew went about their business, totally focused on their own assignments, but kept an eye on the primary bridge monitor.
   Standing in the center of the Wayward Son’s bridge was Captain Edward Churchill, a man Justin had come to admire and respect during the trip.  Though only a couple years older than the Major, Churchill seemed to have the experience and knowledge of a man three times his age.  The Heavy Cav’s entire command staff had taken to eating dinner together during the trip, and during those late ‘night’ conversations Edward always stole the show with his rapier wit and seemingly boundless intelligence.  Now, in his element, however, he was a different man.  Like his crew, he was completely focused on his duty.  His expression only softened when the captain of the Wanderer, his wife Melanie, reported her DropShip’s readiness over the comm.
   “Major, I would appreciate it if you’d have a seat and buckle in.” Churchill stated aloud while working on a computer console.
   Somewhat surprised, Justin looked around the bridge for a seat but couldn’t find one.  Before he could ask the Captain, the veteran spacer was thumbing over his shoulder at the captain’s chair.
   “Edward, I can’t sit there.  That’d be like letting someone else pilot my mech.”
   The Captain turned and smiled.  “It’s not like it makes you the captain... it’s just a chair, Justin.”
   Without another word of protest, Radcliffe stomped over with his magnetic boots and took a seat.  Just as he was buckling himself in, Captain Churchill gave the JumpShip the all clear.  In exactly 61 seconds, the Heavy Cav would arrive in their final destination: the Loxley system.
   “Now, Major, if you’d be so kind as to punch that large red button near your right pinky...”  Naturally Justin looked down, and his digit was indeed resting on a large rectangular button.  Not wanting to question the ship’s master, depressed the button.  The sound of the ship’s jump alarm nearly scared Justin to death.  A knot began to form in his stomach as he watched the countdown on the main display.  It wasn’t nervousness or fear of the jump, but excitement.  After six long months in space he was leading his unit down to the surface of his homeworld.  It was an indescribable feeling, one that he thought he’d never experience after his departure from the LCAF.
   As the timer reached zero, everyone on the ship began to feel an indescribable pull.  It felt to Justin like the universe itself was reaching inside him and grasping his soul, then throwing it 30 light years.  As reality reformed and the vertigo cleared, Captain Churchill ordered his men into action.  The Wayward Son and the Wanderer broke free from the JumpShip and began their burn towards Loxley, a trip that would take several days.  Slowly gravity began to return as the ship’s speed increased, and when the gravity stabilized Justin released his five-point restraint and stood.
   “Excellent work, Captain,” he said, extending a hand to Churchill.  “I quite enjoyed making your acquaintance on the journey.”
   “Likewise, Major.  After we drop you off we’re going to be doing a few cargo runs, but we’ll be back in a couple weeks to start taking on local jobs.  It’s unfortunate, but the only way to cover our operating costs.”
   “True, but they’re just jobs.  Leaving to run cargo for a bit doesn’t mean you’re no longer a Cavalier, right?”
   Edward gave Justin a broad smile.  “Yes indeed.  Now, get outta' here.  Be sure your land-lovers are ready to get off my ship the moment we land.  We’ve got our own work to do up here.”
   With a laugh Justin called the service lift and descended down into the depths of the old Fortress-class DropShip.  The lift unexpectidly stopped on C-Deck; crew quarters.  When the doors opened Justin was surprised to see Lieutenant Minori Kushieda and Sergeant Taiga Aisaka, his AeroSpace jocks, waiting to board the lift.  They were obviously more surprised to see him, however, and jumped back like kids who’s hands had been caught in a cookie jar.  When Justin noticed that they were wearing their flight gear he understood why.  He remained in the lift, crossing his arms over his chest.
   “I don’t seem to recall ordering a CAP, Spitfire.” Justin said evenly, waiting to hear what the pair was up to. 
   “Well, ah, we were just trying to be…” Lt. Kushieda started, her voice light and almost playful.
   “Proactive.” Sgt. Aisaka finished, he tone borderline insolent.  All Justin could do was shake his head and try not to laugh.
   Of all the new warriors in the unit, Minori and Aisaka were by far the most colorful, and popular.  He had to admit that the two were a fascinating pair.  Though they claimed to be sisters, the young women were polar opposites in almost every way.  Minori Kushieda, the older sister, was a tall Caucasian red-head brimming with energy.  She was sweet, kind, and athletic, and her “Spitfire” callsign suited her perfectly.  Taiga Aisaka, on the other hand, was as petite as she was fiery, with more traditional Asian features and long brown hair.  The men had taken to calling her “The Palm-Top Tiger”, a reference not only to her name but also her ferocious attitude.   She was snappy, sarcastic, and aggressive, but Minori kept her in line.  Where Minori got along with everyone, Aisaka was guarded and only showed her (considerable) affection for Minori.  The male Cavaliers (and a few female as well) stumbled all over themselves around both women, and the entire unit was seemingly divided into two groups: Minori fans and Aisaka fans. 
   However, their prowess in combat made up for any personnel idiosyncrasies.  They had come from the DCMS and were remarkably skilled for their age, but their Dispossessed status had kept any unit from hiring them.  Justin had picked them up on a favorable long-term contract, and he was extremely happy to have AeroSpace support for his unit.  He knew that some of the men joked about his hiring two exceptionally attractive young women, but he was willing to bear the jokes if it got skilled pilots in the Chippewas.
   “Loxley is a Lyran core-world, only a jump from Coventry.  I think we’ll be okay.” Justin replied, cocking his head to the side.
   “Well if that’s the case, then why are we here in the first place?” Taiga asked, smirking at her CO.  Minori quickly nudged her with her hip, knocking the tiny pilot off balance slightly.
   “Sir, we just want to make a grand entrance into the system.  Shake the dust off our wings, ya’know?” Minori said sweetly, obviously eager to get back into the cockpit.
   He tried not to show it, but despite himself Radcliffe smiled and unfolded his arms, stepping to the side so the pair could get into the lift.  Both women smiled and ran into the lift, and Justin got an idea of how excited is crew was to get back to work.  Justin restarted the lift to the combat bays while Lt. Minori bounced up and down happily, rewarding Justin with a blinding smile.
   “Thanks skipper, yer’ the best!” Minori chirped, then kissed Justin on the cheek. 
   When the lift’s doors opened at the combat bay a second later, Minori skipped out happily, with most of the bay looking on.  Taiga snickered as she stepped out of the lift, the closest she ever gotten to giving Justin a smile, then followed her sister.  The Major simply stood in place, shocked, blushing, and hoping that no one was looking his way.  After rubbing his cheek he proceeded out of the lift, laughing to himself.
   Such is the mercenary life, I suppose.  No wonder all the best Lyran soldiers go into private contract work.
   As it so happened, the personel lifts were in the central regions of the bay, where most of the unit’s tanks were parked.  It was a standard feature of most DropShips, as vehicles didn’t make use of drop shoots.  Many of the tankers were already at their machines, working to free them from half a year of lockdown.  The tank crews were able to remove the extra chains and straps on the tanks themselves, while each machine’s tech was responsible for removing thick vines of fiber-optic cables.  The cables were part of the DropShip’s simulator systems, allowing warriors to train in their actual vehicles against all the other machines on the network.  The network itself was fragile, given the state of it’s LostTech server, but it was generally stable enough for a company to train all at once.  Despite the advanced simulator systems, Justin’s first priority dirtside would be setting up a full-unit exercise, not only to knock the rust off his machines but help his unit reintegrate. 
   As he was making his way towards the Mech cubicles, Justin walked past the cubicle containing two of his Armored Cav’s Pegasus hovercraft.  He heard muffled talking on the other side of the tank but didn’t see anyone, so out of curiosity he walked around to the other side.  No one there either.  Then he noticed that the tank’s entry ramp was down, and that the voices were coming from inside the hovercraft.  Walking to the rear of the vehicle, he knocked on the hull before stepping in.  Lt. Commander Tan Hong Yu and Staff Sergeant Thomas Murphy were sitting before a bank of computer screens and consoles.
   “Gentlemen” Justin said easily, trying not to interrupt too abruptly, “how goes the unpacking?”
   “Hey, boss.” Hong Yu replied, turning his chair to face Justin.  “We really just started, but so far so good.”
   Behind him, the other man backed up, turned, and rolled his wheelchair forward.  The chair still threw Justin a bit, but Murphy had thus far proven to be an excellent addition to the unit.  His knowledge of the Pegasus' sensor technology was boosting the entire unit's effectinveness, and he also brought a unique new weapon to the Heavy Cav’s arsenal.  His hovercraft, the one the men were in now, was equipped to command two Darkstar Unmanned Arial Vehicles, UAVs that flew high over the battlefield and relayed precious information back to the hovertank.  The Son’s simulator system couldn’t handle the drones, but Justin knew that they would be major assets in real battle.
   “If anything was going to get shaken up in transit it would have been this custom gear.” Murphy explained as he rolled forward, “Obviously it’s not a factory option, so it’s not perfectly integrated into the vehicle.  Still, all the controls and relays look fully operation, and the Darkstar’s themselves are reading as ready for action.”
   After chatting for a few minutes, Justin made his was back out of the tank and continued towards the section of Mech cubicles assigned to Viper lance.  A handful of warriors and techs were milling about, so Justin decided to simply ask aloud and hope that someone could point him in the right direction.
   “Has anyone seen Captain Takeda?” Justin asked, yelling to be heard over the sounds of powered machinery and excited conversation.
   “He’s down on the E-Deck , skipper.” replied MechWarrior James, who was half hanging out of his newly-acquired Gladiator’s cockpit.  “He’s running some ‘extended training’ with Buggerman and the leathernecks.”
   “Thanks James.” The Major said as he walked back to the lift he’d just used to reach the bay.  After a brief ride he was on E-Deck, the largest deck on the ship, which housed the infantry barracks and training grounds.  Unlike the Mechs and tanks, troopers needed firing ranges and open space to hone and maintain their skills.  Luckily Fortress-class DropShip’s training areas were well equipped, utilizing modular panels to produce an almost infinite variety of training environments.  Well, any kind of urban environment at least. 
   Sure enough, Ken and Lieutenant Ron Buggerman were working with a platoon of Cavalier infantry.  However, instead of being on the gun range the troopers were doing close combat training.  Ken had insisted that the troops be versed in CQC given the possibility of Combine attack, and as he correctly pointed out it was one of the only things they could learn aboard a DropShip.  While Ken and some of his star kendo students had their full sparing gear on, complete with bamboo swords, the Heavy Cav troops wore their combat garb and carried nightsticks.  The tonfa were small, light weight, and easy to carry, and left one hand free for grappling or using a sidearm.  The idea behind Ken’s training was to teach the men how to fend off a sword attack long enough to ready a pistol or retreat.  There was just no way to train the soldiers in true swordsmanship in such a short time, and most of them were not suited for the training anyway.  The results were quite excellent… the men had become far more confident in close quarters and had an extra, unexpected weapon to use against the enemy.
   While Ken was leading the training secession, Lt. Buggerman was sitting off to the side looking on.  He seemed to be the only one who noticed Justin’s entrance, beckoning the CO to join him instead of trying yell over the racket of slapping bamboo swords.
   “Hey boss.” He said simply, chomping on a cigar.
   “Ken wastes no time, does he?”
   That got a snicker out of the grizzled infantryman.  “He can be a real ball-buster, sure.  As soon as we got gravity back it was right back to the ring… he wasn’t very happy about pausing for the jump.  At least he knows what he’s talkin’ ‘bout, though.”
   “Why aren’t you in there, L.T.?  I’m sure you could smack these kids around without breaking a sweat.”
   Buggerman barked out a single laugh.  “Nah, you can’t teach this old devildog new tricks.  You need someone shot, though, let me know.”
   Justin sat down on the deck, beside Buggerman, and grinned.  “Ron, if I didn’t know you better I’d say you were in a good mood.”
   The Mechanized Cav commander turned his head and gave Justin a cigar-crushing smile.  “Well hell yeah I am.  I can’t wait to get off this tin can.  Between the lack gravity and the damn jumps, the only thing I’ve felt these last few months is nausea.  I don’t think I’ve ever wanted to get dirtside so badly in my entire g**d*** life.”
   Justin returned Buggerman’s smile.  He didn’t suffer from jump sickness or even have a problem with the microgravity, but he was borderline allergic to the drugs required for long-term space travel.  “I hear you.  The meds have been killing me.  But just think, in less than a week we’ll be at our new post.”
   Buggerman chewed on his cigar for a few moments, watching Ken as he used a reverse strike to knock a trooper right off his feet.  “Say, skipper, what’s this place like, anyway?  Anything fun to do down there?”
   Radcliffe closed his eyes and leaned his head back against the bulkhead.  “I know everyone says this about their homeworld, but Loxley is the most beautiful planet I’ve ever been on.  Most of the planet’s cities are either in temperate or alpine regions.  Everywhere you go it’s cool and green, and since the oxygen levels are a bit higher than standard the air always seems crisp and clear.  There is some seismic activity no matter where you go, and new mountains are always being built.  If you’ve ever been to Scotland or the Colorado region of North America on Terra, you’d have an idea of what it’ll be like at our post.”
   Buggerman seemed to like what he was hearing.  “And where are we being posted?  We going to be on the beach or in major city?  Preferably both, with tons of booze and women.”
   Justin laughed again, and Ken took notice of his CO’s presence.  He’d ordered the men to continue the exercise, and he arrived as Justin’s laughter stopped.  “We’re going to be stationed in New Dallas, a major city at the base of the Grey Mountians.  No beaches, but there are ski resorts up in the mountains.  The city itself is the largest on the planet, and the primary concentration of Terran Hegemony refugees, like my family.  We’ll be garrisoning Fort Worth, a mini Castle Brian on the outskirts of the metroplex.  It’s basically the area I grew up in.”
   “A Castle Brian of any size is most impressive.” Ken commented, wiping his brow with a towel.  “They were not often constructed outside of the Hegemony.”
   “Loxley was a major supply point for the SDLF, during both the conquest of the Rim Worlds and the return to the Hegemony.  The castle was supposedly there to support and defend the factories and facilities that were built during the war, but the industries pulled up stakes when the SLDF left for good.  When the economic bubble popped Loxley lost a lot of it’s population.  However, before the Second Sucession War refugees from New Dallas arrived and helped the world get back on it’s feet.  My ‘people’ were able to maintain the castle and get some of the smaller  factories running, and my ancestors were recruited into the LCAF.  Been loyal to House Steiner ever since, repayment for the hospitality.”
   Ken dropped to the deck, joining Justin and Ron’s discussion.  “It sounds like your family and Loxley are deeply intertwined, Major.  Am I correct in assuming that has something to do with our receiving this post?”
   “Yup.  Though really it’s the Storm family.  They led the migration from the planet of New Dallas to the city of New Dallas, which is what the renamed the capital.  Anyway, Fort Worth is it’s own self-contained city.  It has facilities for an SLDF combined-arms regiment, so we’ll have plenty of space.  We’ll have our own airstrip and a trio of DropShip landing pads, so as soon as we land we’re going to offload right onto the base.  I am assuming that Colonel Storm will be there to meet us, but I’m by no means sure.  Oh, and be warned, this may be mercs dealing with mercs, but it’s still the Lyran Commonwealth, meaning that we’ll have some fancy-pants event to attend to.  Non-negotiable.  It's just comes with the territory in these parts.”
   Ken simply nodded his understanding, while Buggerman made a sour face.  Apparently the L.T. was so distraught that he needed to light up his cigar, but Justin stopped him.  “Any who lights up on my DropShip will go to the event in a ballroom gown.  And I am not fraking kidding.”
   While Buggerman put away his matchbox with a horrified expression, Justin laughed and levered himself up onto his feet.  “Captain, most everyone is in the bay, getting their gear out of long-term lockdown.  Personally, I think it’s a little premature, but I understand.  Hell, I may as well go down there get Grace unshackled.  Wanna come?”
   “I appreciate the offer, Major,” Ken replied, dropping his towel to the deck and putting his kendo helmet back on, “but I have a lesson to continue.  However, I will not be far behind.”
   Justin started walking towards the hatch and back to the lift, slapping Buggerman on the shoulder and gaving Ken a wrist-salute.  “See you later, fellas.  If there’s anything else you want to talk about, just let me know.”
   “Sir.”

It didn’t take long for Justin to get back to the bay, which was now bustling with activity.  Almost all of the MechWarriors were now in the bay, along with all the technical staff.  While walking towards the cubicle where his Mech was racked he passed by nearly all of the Heavy Cav’s Mechs, marveling at the gunmetal grey finish on each machine.  He also passed by recently promoted Sergeant Major Carlos Monkfish, who was using a torque wrench to undo the chain binding his Hunchback to deck.  Looking on was his daughter Pepper, who had joined rejoined her father now that he had a stable job.  While Lt. Kushieda and Sgt, Aisaka were indeed popular, they couldn’t quite compare to Carlos’ daughter.  She was exceptionally smart and well behaved, and her smile could charge a JumpShip.  It didn’t take long for her to become the unit’s little darling.  Every day she would visit with each and every member of the Heavy Cav, even if it was just to say hello to a crewman who’s name she couldn’t quite remember.  Whenever Pepper came around everyone set aside what they were doing, taking the opportunity to have a little sunshine injected into their otherwise tedious days in space. 
   Carlos and several other members of the unit were schooling her in their off hours.  While her father handled general studies, Justin took her though his collection of history and philosophy books, which she seemed to be quite taken with.  Hong Yu and any free techs ran an introductory shop class (she was apparently interested in working on Lunk with her father), while Gillian Albin handled math lessons.  Ken had her speaking better Japanese than her father, and the Mechanized Cav medics were giving science lessons.  The classes were on a daily rotation, and had in fact proven so popular that other Cavaliers began to attend as well.  Their interest had thrilled Justin… idle transit time was painfully boring and soldiers often took to somewhat questionable methods of passing the time.  Not only were his men staying out of trouble, but they were learning something in the process.
   After Justin finished speaking with Carlos and Pepper he kept walking until he was at Staff Sergeant Aaron Erickson’s cubicle.  Erickson was one of the newer MechWarriors that the Cav had picked up on their trek through the Inner Sphere, and so far seemed to fit in quite well.  Erickson was replacing Sven, who was staying on Tanguray as Baroness Nikita’s personal bodyguard and head of security.  Erickson was an excellent pilot, and since the unit had an open spot in the command lance Justin had hired him and assigned him a salvaged Victor.  He saw a lot of himself in the MechWarrior, which had helped them become friends faster than he normally would have expected.  Aaron had also served in the LCAF and left because of the foolish bureaucracy that hampered the organization, hoping that he would have better luck going freelance.  They had even found him on Solaris, in quite the same way then-Princess Nikita had found him.
Erickson was on his Victor’s left shoulder, working to disengage one of the chains that bound the Mech to the bay’s maintained frame.  “How’s it going up there, Aaron?” Justin called, managing to get the pilot’s attention without startling him.  They talked for a moment, then Justin moved on to his own cubicle. 
   While Justin wasn’t surprised to see Master Tech Paul Ryan working to remove the simulator cabling from his Mech, he was somewhat surprised to see Jillian Albin arguing with the grease monkey’s backside.  Jillian was Thomas Albin’s daughter.  She had been working as Albin Armaments’ CFO during the liberation of Tanguray, and despite her age she was a very well educated and experienced businesswoman.  Justin still didn’t fully understand why she had wanted to accompany the unit, as she had never actually signed on with the Heavy Cav.  Jillian handled all of the unit’s procurement orders and accounting, basically making her the unit’s quartermaster and negotiation representative.  Though officially listed as the unit’s Captian Technician, you wouldn’t have guessed it by looking at her.  Unlike Ryan and his techs she wore the cloths of someone who worked with paper and not with her hands.  Today she was dressed a finely tailored pencil skirt, blouse, and heels, an outfit that stood in stark contrast to the bustling Mech bay. 
   “Is there a problem, Ms. Albin?” Justin asked as he approached.
   Jillian turned just enough to give him an annoyed look.  That wasn’t good.  Though most of the Cavaliers found her likable enough, she was somewhat moody.  If she was frustrated or upset you would know it, and it was quite difficult to keep from upsetting her further.
   “Actually there is, Mr. Radcliffe.  What is going on here?” she asked, spreading her arms wide to take in the entire bay.  “We won’t be making planetfall for nearly six days.  There is absolutely no reason to break out your Mechs and tanks now, and certainly no reason to waste fuel on a pointless Combat Patrol.”
   Justin blinked, somewhat surprised she actually knew that he’d allowed the  Angels to stretch out their wings.  “To be blunt, it’s a matter of morale.  Everyone is excited, getting ready for the landing.  It’s only natural, seeing as we’ve been in the black for over six months.  This is all work that has to be done before we unload, so why not do it right now?  It’s not like we are going to start walking around the bay.  We’re just removing the long-term safeties, that’s all.  If we make everyone wait we’ll have a lot of grumpy mercs moping around, and that’s never good.  Besides, everyone’s full of energy now.  I bet we’ll get everything out of deep storage in half the normal time.”  Jillian huffed and adjusted her glasses.
   Master Tech Ryan wiggled his way out of the Thunderbolt’s torso compartments, his face already streaked with grease and lubricant.  “Thank you, skipper!  I tell ya’, unless she hears it from you whatever I say is crap.  I explained it to her just like that, an-“
   The Major raised a hand, forestalling the tech’s rant.  “Don’t worry about it, Ryan.  We’ve all just got a little cabin fever, that’s all.”  Justin turned back to Jillian, who still didn’t look happy and lowered his voice.  “Have you gone over the unloading and supply plans set by the LCAF?”
   The question seemed to perk her up a bit.  “Yes.  The 5th Lyran Guards have already vacated the facility completely.  A couple platoons of local security personnel are looking after The Fort for now, and we will also have plenty of locals on hand to unload the ships.”
   “Excellent.  Good job, Jillian.”  To his surprise, the young woman smiled.  However, the smile proved fleeting.  A tech came over and began questioning her about some parts he had yet to receive, so she excused herself and went with him.
   “I don’t know, skipper.  I know she’s Mr. Albin’s daughter and technically my boss, but she’s a real piece of work.  I mean, don’t get me wrong, she’s real nice to look at but a pain in the ass to work with.”
   “Yeah, well, we all have our little problems in life, Paul.  Speaking of which, is it ready?” Justin asked, his eyes full of hope.
   The Master Tech game Justin a reassuring grin.  “You bet, skipper.  Marissa finished it up just the other day.  Hey, I don’t mean to pry, but where did you get that picture?  The Tharkad Sports Illustrated ladies issue or something?  You can tell me, I wont judge.” he whispered, with a wink and a nudge.
   Justin laughed and rubbed his forehead.  “I don’t mind telling you, but you’re not going to believe me.”
   “Try me.” he replied, crossing his arms over his chest.
   “Remember when I had handed you the modifications list for rebuilding Grace?”
   “Yes.”
  “Do you remember me telling you that Grace and I had come up with the layout together, based on analysis from the battles and my combat style?”
  “Vaguely, yes.”
  “Well, that wasn’t the only thing she had some input on.  She told me that she had sifted through her old files… holopics from years back, even back when she was reassembled on New Dallas after The Liberation.  She found someone who she thought looked, well, how she thought she would look.  Gave me the basic outline and a sample image; everything.  That’s what I handed off to Marissa.  Honestly, I didn’t come up with it at all.”
   Justin held his breath while Ryan stared at him.  After a few minutes of silence he finally spoke out.  “I believe you.”
   “Really?”
  “Yes sir.” Ryan replied, his expression serious.  “Sir, on the inside your Mech is unlike anything I’ve ever seen before.  You may not have an advanced targeting computer or electronic warfare gear, but it’s some of the most sophisticated tech I’ve ever seen.  I knew it had to be LostTech.  Sir, I’ve never had an actual conversation with a computer before you came along.  At this point, I wouldn’t be surprised if she composed a freaking symphony.  Why do you think I work on your Mech?”
   That got a laugh out of Justin, and some of the strain in his voice and body bled away.  “Sorry, but I’m just relived.  Whenever I talk about her everyone looks at me like I’m a crackpot.  Anyway, let’s see it.”
   Ryan gestured to the cherry picker beside the mech.  The new SRM launcher pod was draped with a thick canvass blanket.  When Ryan pulled it off, Justin was ecstatic.  He quickly took a picture with his comm. unit and hoped onto the Mech’s shoulder and into the cockpit.
   “Grace,” he said aloud as he fired up the Mech’s electronics, “have I got a surprise for you.”  He locked the comm. unit into a cradle on the dash, and the picture he’d taken of the new nose art was downloaded into Grace’s memory.  “Check this out.  Whatchya’ think?”

Six days later

The Wayward Son hadn’t been on the ground for thirty seconds before the combat bays were swarming with personel.  MechWarriors were either running to their machines or climbing up to their cockpits… if he didn’t know better, Justin would have thought his men were scrambling to disembark in a hot LZ. 
   Perhaps it was, depending on one’s viewpoint.  The landing at Fort Worth had gone as smoothly as he had expected, and now it was time for the men to unload the Mechs and tanks.  Otherwise it would be impossible for the ground crews to get at the Son’s cargo bays, and besides, a parade of Mechs marching out of a DropShip was far more impressive than a stream of forklifts hauling shipping containers.
   Justin, Ken, and Jillian were standing on the DropShip’s decks, patiently waiting for the ramp to lower.  Unlike the rest of the men, they would be walking out on foot to meet with their welcoming party.  Justin still wasn’t even sure there would be one, but he was betting his knowledge of Lyran military protocol would keep him from looking like an ass.  As MechWarriors and crews mounted their warhorses the floor of the bay began to clear.  Lt. Buggerman and his single platoon (the others were aboard the Wanderer) moved up to form a detail around the command officers, and Justin still felt a swell of pride when he saw all the men together in their duty uniforms.  Radcliffe and Takada were waiting theirs as well, though their berets were folded and tucked under the epaulets of their barrack dress pullovers.  While Ms. Albin didn’t wear a uniform, she was wearing what Justin assumed to be the most fashionable cloths available.
   As the ramp began to lower, a gust of chilly air blasted Justin in the face.  It felt wonder, and tasted nothing like the stale recycled air he’d been breathing for months.  Ethan walked his Phoenix Hawk up in front of the ramp, ready to begin leading the unloading as soon as the ramp hit the ground.  As the tarmac became visible three figures were standing in the distance, though Justin couldn’t actually tell who they were.
   “Well Ken… we made it.  We actually made it.”
« Last Edit: 30 October 2011, 02:44:57 by whistler »

GreyJaeger

• Sergeant
  • Prepare for War.
« Reply #13 on: 30 October 2011, 01:13:18 »
If you are recruiting, I would be interested.
"The deep pain that is felt at the death of every friendly soul arises from the feeling that there is in every individual something which is inexpressible, peculiar to him alone, and is, therefore, absolutely and irretrievably lost."
~Arthur Schopenhauer

whistler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 31 October 2011, 13:08:35 »
indeed we are, Jaeger!  did you have any kind of character or role in mind?  feel free to PM me so we can talk it over :)

oh, by the way, i (finally) found the Heavy Cav's insignia:
« Last Edit: 31 October 2011, 13:11:15 by whistler »

whistler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: 31 October 2011, 20:19:52 »
for the record, i feel very comfortable saying that we are officially 'a go' here.  i've got at least three new players wanting to join the ranks, and that puts us about where we were with the first arc.  i will be posting the Character Template soon (hopefully tonight, but i don't have the original... never trust anything to the forums again #P).  i'd really like everyone to resubmit their characters while i hash out the new player character... sorry to make you do it again.  besides, you'll have a chance to change some details if you like.

"Cavaliers, this is Actual... saddle up."

Captain Vlad

• Corporal
« Reply #16 on: 31 October 2011, 20:30:28 »
Looking forward to this.;)

whistler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: 03 November 2011, 16:37:46 »
sorry about the delay fellas... had an unplanned couple nights in the hospital.  actually feeling quite alright now, though.

here is the basic character template i would like you to use.  you don't need to write me an essay or anything, but i would like a basic overview of your character's personality and history following the hard facts.  i just prefer to know details about your character rather than guess or extrapolate when i set you up in an in-game conversation.

Name:  (please bold your first name or what you go by.  some languages place family and personal names differently, after all.)
Languages: 
Family:
- Mother: 
- Father:   
(as detailed as you would like to get)
Height:
Weight:
Physical description:
(i will also provide a directory of MechWarrior portraits that you can choose from.  don't worry about any faction insignia, just something that gives us an idea of what your character looks like.)

Unique physical attributes and personal gear: (i like to allow some leadway here, but let's try to keep it in check, both in terms of physical attributes and gear.  for example, Justin has hetrochromia (two different eye colors) and a replica 1911 frame sidearm.  it's perfectly fine if you managed to take some personal gear from a previous unit.)

Current Rank and Position:  (this really applies to returning players)

Pilots:  (just your basic ride.  we will handle customizations down the road)

Education:  (most likely military education.  does not need to be an academy grad... a merc brat may have better training than your average FedSuns mechjock.)

Notable Skills:
(i.e. any advanced skills that you feel could be useful to the unit, within reason.  exceptional computer talents, linguistics skills, advanced training [military and civilian], that kind of thing.  these will be subject to possible adjustment [lets face it, we probably shouldn't have any certified ninjas with DEST training and three doctorates. :P])

Previous Military Experience (number of years):
Personal History:

Captain Vlad

• Corporal
« Reply #18 on: 03 November 2011, 20:53:36 »

Name: Monica Donnelson

Place of birth:

Languages:  English, Spanish.

Family:
- Mother:  Erica Donnelson (formerly Hernandez).  Paralegal worker for a law firm on Tanguray.
- Father:   Master Sgt. T.J. Donnelson, Tanguray March Militia.  Deceased due to unexpected illness in 3031.
- Siblings:  Kelly Donnelson (sister, 13).  Brian Donnelson (Brother, 16)

Height:  5'9
Weight:  155 lbs.
Physical description:  Monica is a lean, almost lanky woman with reddish brown hair.  She's not without some feminine curves, and these aspects of her figure are probably more substantial after months on a dropship with limited room to exercise.  When in 'fighting trim', she tends to boast some visible, though not bulky muscle, much like a track runner who doesn't forget to do some weight training. 

Her skin tone is medium, with a tendency to tan without burning too much, thanks to some genes from her mother.  Eyes are deep brown, another trait from her mother.  She has a tendency to slouch, though whether that's just her posture or the result of a little alienation is currently unknown to her squad mates.  Usually wears her hair, which reaches to just below her shoulders, in a pony tail, but is noticeable fastidious about keeping it brushed.

She tends to dress in tank tops or T-shirts and fatigue pants when not in uniform, though this is partially because she recovered few of her personal effects following the conflict on Tanguray.  She did somehow retain her Mechwarrior's flight jacket, which she is also fond of.  The patches of her former unit have been removed, though she retains the AFFC Sunburst and more generic insignia.

Unique physical attributes and personal gear: Has the tattoo of some sort of colorful, blooming vine around her left wrist and similar ones on her lower back and right ankle. 

As few of her personal effects were recovered after her defection in the previous campaign, she has few personal belongings, but she has held on to her sidearm, a 10mm Tanguary-produced copy of a popular Lyran sidearm that served as standard issue in a local militia unit.  The weapon belonged to her father, and was given to her prior to her leaving for basic training.

Current Rank and Position:  Mechwarrior Sergeant, Battle Lance, Nikita's Heavy Calvary.

Pilots:  ARC-2S Archer.  The 'Mech was assigned to her when she transferred to her previous unit, and after repairs from that campaign, has been repainted in NHC colors, with no particular adornment.

Education:  Donnelson is a high-school graduate.  She has some college education, having attended a Tanguary university part-time following her enlistment into the local militia at the age of 17.  She had not selected a major, dabbling in several elective courses to hopefully discover a field of interest.  She took some technical courses in the hopes that it would add to her ability to get promoted in the militia, where she served on the crew of an LRM Carrier.  It was her technical knowledge, physical condition and experience with heavy weapon systems that got her a coveted Mechwarrior training billet with a unit forming on the world (this didn't turn out too well...).  She has enough credits to qualify for an associate's degree, had she focused on any one field, but as it is, her education is a bit 'scattered'.

Notable Skills:  Donnelson has a significantly better than average ability to judge ranges, distances, windage, velocities, etc. that has served her very well as a vehicle crewman, Mechwarrior and basketball player.  She seems to have an instinctive knack for getting relatively slow moving objects to intersect with other objects and can use this ability with almost any weapon that fits this category....be it a bow and arrow or an LRM launcher.

This does not, of course, lend her the ability to use any projectile weapon at expert level;  it simply means that she picks up such skills more easily when it comes to the 'making the bullet/missle/rock hit the target part, and she can get all kinds of free prizes at those 'toss the ball in the hole' games at a local fair.  This ability, combined with her experience and accuracy with LRM launchers are why she landed a spot driving an Archer in her old unit, though her good looks may have also had something to do with that, given the unpleasant experiences that followed.

She has also trained sufficiently with handguns to be close to an expert shot with one.  She does not, oddly, have similar skills with rifles as she has difficulty keeping shoulder arms stable, something her weapons trainers have tried in vain to correct.  She is, therefore, only an average shot with an assault rifle or similar weapon.  She is aware of this weakness and plans to replace the small game rifle traditionally bundled with her issued survival gear with a shotgun at the earliest opportunity.

She is an avid runner and played basketball in high school and had the talent for college-level sports, though she did not pursue that avenue.  She's more of a long-runner than a sprinter, which has frustrated at least one drill sergeant to no end.  Donnelson has decent technical skills; though she would need additional training to reach the level of a full-time Battlemech technician, she is capable of performing minor or moderate repair tasks without assistance.

Her pistol marksmanship is due to target shooting being a bonding activity between her, her father, and her siblings.  For her same reason, she's also a decent dirt-bike/ATV rider.

Previous Military Experience (number of years):  Member of the Tanguary March Miltia for four years where she served as a driver, then gunner, on an LRM carrier.  Promoted to Sgt. due to some college credits, seniority, etc, before being inducted into the unit that later went rogue.  Was selected for in-house Mechwarrior training and instructed by unit personnel.  Assigned to her own Battlemech after approximately one year of training.

Personal History: Monica spent most of her pre-adult life living a downright normal existence on Tanguary, attending grade school, then high school, and generally assuming that she'd spend the rest of her life on the planet, probably in a decent, if boring job that let her afford a decent house and some fun toys like the dirt bikes she, her father, and her two siblings regularly went roaring through the mountains on, much to her mother's horror.

Her father died before she left high school, however, and though provided a veteran's scholarship by the militia she spent much of her late teens trying to save up enough money to get the education she'd need for a decent but boring job.  Joining the militia herself was a logical move that got her what she was after, but she ended up being thrown a curve when she, almost on a whim, took a Mechwarrior aptitude test and was accepted for an in-unit apprentice training program for the AFFC Battlemech regiment that was forming on the planet.

She ended up being assigned to an Archer, and had a few weeks of dreaming of an exciting career as a Mechwarrior and the potential for pricey salvage and other rewards that could possibly lead to.  Such dreams went down the toilet when the unit went rogue, killed more people than she could really wrap her head around (though she was not directly involved in that) and otherwise torpedoed her hopes of an exciting soldiering career.

As Monica is not the type of person to indulge in such activity, she experienced a great deal of friction with other members of the unit, and may only still be alive because she's...fairly hot.  Her CO had made his interest in her very clear right from the start, and his never-subtle advances grew into borderline assault as the unit became more and more a lawless group of pirates.  She had actually considered killing him and running off, and even made a couple of early-stage plans before she realized there was nowhere to run.  Her level of physical fitness and her eagerly demonstrated marksmanship (she made sure and never went without her sidearm and that everyone knew how precise she could be with it) kept his pushiness from becoming physical, however.

By the time the NHC rolled into town, she was in a state of near-depression due to her situation, and her being shot down in battle versus the Mercenaries (which almost resulted in her death) almost seemed like a welcome fate.  She was saved by surprising actions on the part of Major Radcliffe, however, and woke up in a hospital bed where she eagerly relayed anything and everything she could about her former unit...partially out of the idea that it was the right thing to do, partially out of the earnest hope that a lot of her former companions would die horribly.  She went along with the NHC during the final scrap, and though she ended up bailing out of her 'Mech, the fight did help her attain some closure and assuage some guilt.

She was offered a chance to join up with the unit by Major Radcliffe after the battle, which she accepted due to her kind treatment at the hands of the unit and the unwillingness to stay on a planet that had inspired a lot of bad memories.  She's spent the last six months trying to get to know her fellow cavalrymen, some of whom remain standoffish due to the nature of their first meeting.
« Last Edit: 09 November 2011, 01:40:15 by Captain Vlad »

whistler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: 03 November 2011, 23:17:27 »
looks good so far!  character profile approved.

i've amended the Heavy Cav's roster... Monica's all yours now.  welcome aboard (officially)!

also, since i am waiting to see if previous players are going to return and reclaim their characters, i am leaving everyone on the roster.  however, those characters that are confirmed active for this arc will be underlined.  just a Public Service Announcement, really...
« Last Edit: 03 November 2011, 23:19:39 by whistler »

GreyJaeger

• Sergeant
  • Prepare for War.
« Reply #20 on: 05 November 2011, 06:55:33 »

Name: Valentin Ilya Davideko
Place of birth: Aldebaran, Tikonov Commonality, Capellan Confederation; Raised on Warlock, St. Ives Commonality
Languages: Russian (M), Mandarin(F), English(M) 
Family:
- Mother: Illyana (Mikhalyvo) Davideko
- Father:  Gregori Davideko
- Siblings: Dmitri (1st), Oxana (3rd)
Height: 1.83 meters (6 ft.)
Weight: 90.7 kilos (200 lbs.)
Physical description: Valentin is handsome by most standards, having a strong jaw, high cheekbones and and deep set brown eyes, matching his dark brown hair. He does have a faint scar above his left eye, as well as a disjointed nose, courtesy of his time spent as an amateur boxer. As he does like to spend as much time out-doors as possible, his complexion tends towards tanned. Not a sedentary man, Valentin tends to spend as much time being active; whether this means being in the gym, assigned tasks, or even just "busy work." Valentin is extremely fit, and works very hard at maintaining his health. It would not be unfair to call him a health nut.
 When not on duty, or working out, Valentin tends to dress to the occasion. He is equally as comfortable wearing shorts and t-shirts, as he is wearing a suit and tie.

Unique physical attributes and personal gear: (Can't quite think of anything at this time.)

Current Rank and Position: Mechwarrior Sergeant, Mustang 4

Pilots: Wolverine WVR-6M

Education: Capella War College

Notable Skills: Valentin carried certifications for Physical Therapist and Physical Trainer, and filled that role within his company in the Lancers. He was at one point a Golden Gloves(BT equivalent) Boxing champion as a teen, and had the opportunity of Olympic-level competition. He works on maintaining his proficiency, as well as studying Goju Ryu Karate and Jiu Jitsu. Valentin has extensive knowledge of various sports, and is an avid outdoors-man.
Previous Military Experience (number of years): 6 Valentin has seen a moderate amount of combat, mainly in the avenue of defending against raids, though he has seen some offensive experience in the form of raiding.
Personal History:
 Valentin was born in the Tikonov Commonality, but moved to Warlock in the St. Ives Commonality when he was seven. His father being a BattleMech engineer, while his mother was an analyst for the Maskirovka, predicated a transfer for both to work on a new project, and protect it. With both parents being Citizens of the Confederation, they instilled that same desire in Valentin, which he used as soon as opportunity presented itself. Being a gifted athlete from a young age, and with good looks, he became a poster child for various Capellan youth programs after winning several amateur contests. He also starred in short films made by the Social Education and Military Ministries. Throughout the St. Ives Commonality, and even reaching into neighboring provinces, both friend and foe, Valentin's face could be seen on posters and fliers, as well in commercials and movies extolling Capellan virtues.
 By way as a reward for his work, Valentin was offered a position at the Capella War College. Although the curriculum was tough, Valentin threw himself into it with vigor. Although his fitness suffered due to lack of time for physical training, his mental fitness grew sharper. With the outbreak of the Fourth Succession War, Valentin awaited his chance to face the Davion war machine. Even though he knew the war was going very badly for the Confederation, he kept up the belief that the Sun's military could be stopped. That is, until the loss of Tikonov. If the Davions could capture Tikonov, a provincial capital, could they be stopped? But Valentin knew such thoughts could be dangerous, so he kept them to himself. Graduating in June of 3029 near the top of his class, Valentin awaited a posting, which he received in August in the Blackwind Lancers. Valentin had been with his unit for a little over two months after arriving in October before Duchess Candace Liao   
seceded from the Confederation and forming the St. Ives Compact. The war also cost Valentin in another matter. Valentin had plans to become an actor after the war. He had contacts within the Capellan entertainment industry from his youth. His plans were completely scuttled by the St. Ives situation. Since he stayed with the Compact, their would be nothing from the Capellans, and since he starred in Capellan propaganda, no one in the Compact, or her allies wanted to talk to him.
 Torn between his divided loyalties, Valentin chose to stay with the Lancers, serving two tours before setting out on his own.

Working on coming up with unique look, gear, and skills. Do you want how Valentin came to be with the Cavalry?   
« Last Edit: 08 November 2011, 09:13:25 by GreyJaeger »
"The deep pain that is felt at the death of every friendly soul arises from the feeling that there is in every individual something which is inexpressible, peculiar to him alone, and is, therefore, absolutely and irretrievably lost."
~Arthur Schopenhauer

Warclaw

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: 05 November 2011, 09:25:07 »
Whistler already has this, but I might as well put it up here as well, so the new players can meet the XO.  :)

Name:  Takeda Kenjiro  "Ken"
Place of birth:  Agematsu, Galedon Military District, Draconis Combine
Languages:  Japanese, English, Lyran Dialect High German, Swedenese, broken Hindi Patois
Family:
- Mother:  Takeda Michiko
- Father:   Takeda Satoshi
Height: 5' 9"
Weight:  171
Physical description:
See Picture  (To be posted soon)

Unique physical attributes and personal gear:

Very high quality personal gear. 
Body armor styled as Ancient Samurai Armor.
Heirloom Katana + Wakizashi
Vibro-Katana
Personally Owned DRG-1G Grand Dragon

Current Rank and Position:  Tai-i (Captain).  XO of the Heavy Cavalry.  Personal Retainer to House Pavlov, Princess Nikita's personal representative

Pilots:  DRG-1G Grand Dragon

Education:  Sun Zhang Military Academy

Notable Skills:
Expert Swordsman, (Includes study of Iaido, “Quickdraw”)
Artist (Airbrush)
Martial Artist (Aikido + Karate)
Poor Pistol Shot

Previous Military Experience (number of years): 18+

Personal History:

Raised from birth as a Samurai, Takeda Kenjiro's life has always been one of duty, honor, and a strict code of conduct.

After an early entrance to a preparatory school, followed by the Sun Zhang Martial Academy, young Kenjiro's career appeared to be well laid out ahead of him.  Service to the Dragon, followed by taking up his family's traditional retainer status to the Lord of Agematsu, and Governance of one of the planetary districts, just as his father and his Grandfather had done before him.  Unfortunately, it was not to be.

Political enemies of the Lord of Agematsu chose to strike at the man through his retainers, framing Kenjiro's father for treasonous activities and financial improprieties, while simultaneously arranging for Satoshi and Michiko's deaths in an unfortunate ground car “Accident”, thereby preventing them from effectively defending themselves, and tainting their Lord with their perceived shame.

Also tainted by the scandal,  and unable to offer any proof of his parent's innocence, Kenjiro was summarily dismissed from the DCMS and declared Ronin.

With his name and family reputation in tatters, Kenjiro knew he would have no chance of finding a new Lord-Patron, and so committed himself to the path of the Ronin.

Three years later, he finds himself forced to become a mercenary in order to survive, but still he clings to his Samurai roots.  In those years he has been able to discover the identity of some of the plotters who cost him his family.  Someday, he hopes to discover the rest.  On that day, there will be a reckoning.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #22 on: 05 November 2011, 13:22:46 »
Name:  Guy "G" Vicelli
Place of birth: Bernardo, Free Worlds League
Languages:  English, Italian, Japanese
Family:
- Mother: Lucia Vicelli
- Father:  Henry Vicelli
Henry "Boom Boom" Vicelli was a dispossesed mechwarrior in 3014, having been blown out of his Rifleman by an ammunition explosion.  When Anton Marik offered 'mechs for loyalty, Henry and many others from Bernardo leapt at the chance.  Fighting as part of Anton's Third Marik Militia, Henry blazed a trail through the Zion province, taking full advantage of the chaos to loot as much as possible.  These ill-gotten gains served him well when Janos Marik's forces seized Bernardo the following year.  Henry was able to smuggle his family and 'mech off world independent of his doomed unit's retreat and eventual destruction on Park Place.  The following three years were spent escaping the Free Worlds League.  When Henry and his family finally surfaced on Galatea in 3018, he quickly found employment with a small mercenary unit willing to overlook his unsavory past.  During this time, Henry bought his son's way into the infamous Blackjack School of Combat, while his wife worked her way into the unit's finance section.  By the time his son was able to join the unit in 3028, it had replaced the Light Davion Guards RCT on Groveld III on the border with the Draconis Combine.  While Guy was en route to Groveld, a raid on Delacruz was slapped together in an effort to ease the pressure elsewhere on the border.  The raid was a complete disaster, and Henry took a Kuritan PPC to the cockpit.  His Wolverine was repaired in time for Guy to take his father's place, but the Kuritan response to the raid ultimately resulted in the loss of Groveld III and the destruction of the unit.  Through her access to the unit's books, Guy and his mother actually benefited from the unit's dissolution and began another multi-year journey away from the defeat, starting with the final disposition of the unit's remnants in 3031 after a lengthy court battle and ending on Solaris in early 3037.

Height: 183 cm (6')
Weight: 75 kg (165 lbs)
Physical description:

Unique physical attributes and personal gear: Guy is unremarkable physically, but his father gained notoreity during Anton's Revolt, and some mercenaries look askance at his seemingly coming through the destruction of his last unit unscathed.  His father's legacies are his Wolverine (still wanted back by the family Anton seized it from, now ruling Bernardo) and his FWL-issued Blazer Rifle.

Current Rank and Position:  Lieutenant (?)

Pilots:  WVR-6M, owned.

Education:  Blackjack School of Combat, class of '28.

Notable Skills: Guy grew up speaking English and Italian, and picked up Japanese during his last tour fighting the Combine on Groveld III.  Having spent most of his formative years on the run, he possesses a healthy paranoia that allows him to notice when things are amiss (Perception).  He's also something of a barracks lawyer (Career/Soldier), and gambler (Interest/Gambling).  The hard fighting on Groveld III formed him into a competent mechwarrior (3/4).

Previous Military Experience (number of years): 7
Personal History: Guy made a number of good friends while at Blackjack, who have since scattered to the winds.  His mother parted ways with Guy on Solaris, continuing her "grand tour" on toward Tharkad, having seen Atreus as a young girl and New Avalon en route to Solaris.  While his mother insisted they had enough money to continue on together, Guy caught a glimpse of the true state of accounts and realized his mother intended to sell the 'mech his father had sacrificed so much to gain and maintain over the years.  So he spun her a story about needing to "saddle up" again.  She probably saw through it, but let it pass.  Without the cost of shipping a 'mech, the money she'd accumulated would last for years.  Guy was able to hire on with the Heavy Cav after making a favorable first impression.  The fact he was bringing his own 'mech didn't hurt either.

whistler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: 05 November 2011, 15:00:27 »
based on what i am reading, let me say a few things.  first, i'm really happy.  it really seems like our new players have strong writing skills and creativity, and will fit in very nicely with the rest of the Heavy Cav.  second, you don't have to have any special equipment or skills... it's more an opportunity to use something specific if you'd like.  third, i have no problem if you edit your profiles after seeing other player's profiles.  i wouldn't want you to copy them, obviously, but i know that reading other profiles can make things occur to you or change what information you would like to share.  if you find yourself asking "I wonder if whistler would want to read / know this..." the answer is yes.  anything i can use.  i will be using your personal history and in-game actions to set up interactions with fellow players, as well as your CO and other NPCs.  making the NPCs true characters is going to be one of my primary goals this arc.

also, if you don't have a rank i'll assign one to you.  be aware that your rank may increase depending on the final player roster.  rank increases are not a sign of favoritism.  :P

Name: Valentin Ilya Davideko
Current Rank and Position:  Mechwarrior Sergeant, Mustang 4
Pilots: Wolverine-6M

character profile approved.  excellent work Jaegear, welcome to the crew. O0

Name:  Guy "G" Vicelli
Current Rank and Position:  Mechwarrior Staff Sergeant, Firefly 3
Pilots:  Wolverine-6M

character profile approved.  fantastic job, Daryk, great to have you on board! O0

Name: Monica Donnelson
Current Rank and Position:  Mechwarrior Sergeant, Viper 3
Pilots:  Archer-2S. 

expanded profile approved.  just wanted to have all my new players here in one post. O0

Name:  Takeda Kenjiro  "Ken"
Current Rank and Position:  XO of the Heavy Cavalry - Tai-i (Captain), Viper 1.  Personal Retainer to House Pavlov, Princess Nikita's personal representative
Pilots: Grand Dragon-1G

boys, say hello to your neo-samuri XO. O0  “He can be a real ball-buster, sure.  At least he knows what he’s talkin’ ‘bout, though.” - Lieutenant Ron Buggerman, himself a noted hardass.

thanks 'Claw... no way this game would have been restarted without you bro (or, honestly, Black Panzer).  my thanks to both of you gentlemen  [notworthy]

looks like we're getting close! :D  say, has anyone seen TT around?  he was one of the players who wanted to restart the game after all...
« Last Edit: 05 November 2011, 15:32:37 by whistler »

whistler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: 05 November 2011, 19:40:12 »
ah, something else i kinda forgot... Mechwarrior pictures.  a PDF page with all the MWDA pilot cards can be found  here, and you can download them here.

i've already done 25 of these, for characters we know and those we have yet to meet.  again, don't worry about the insignia... it's just to give us an idea of what you look like.  let me give you a few examples:

Major Justin Radcliffe, Mustang Actual

Lt Ron Buggerman, Stonewall Actual

Sergeant Eli Voss, Firefly 2

Staff Sergeant James Horvath, Firefly 4

Lt Minori "Spitfire" Kushieda, Angel 1

Staff Sergeant Mira Calliston, Hog 1

Colonel Griff Storm, Storm's Metal Thunder

Baroness Nikita Pavlov

suddenly these NPCs are more than empty characters.  you can imagine the way Buggerman grins when he makes a snide remark, or James joking about Eli's fat ass while he's trying to scramble up his Griffin's chain ladder.  you'll be able to feel the icy glare of our new employer, Colonel Storm, and easily understand why Spitfire's callsign fits her so perfectly.  pictures are faster and easier than reading a block of descriptive text every time you reference another character, and will make your dialog and interactions more realistic.  please try to find a profile pic that is close to what you imagine, but if you really can't find one then you'll be able to upload something.  if you find a picture that uses a similar art style, like Black Panzer, then that is perfectly fine.
« Last Edit: 05 November 2011, 19:49:10 by whistler »

Warclaw

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #25 on: 05 November 2011, 20:32:32 »
Takeda Kenjiro, "Ken"  Viper-1

blackpanzer

• Sergeant
« Reply #26 on: 07 November 2011, 21:59:42 »
Sorry. Was away overseas where the bloody monsoon rain and iffy internet connection left me out of things over the last few days. Another sorry, I can't seem to find the information I had previously, but I'll try to recall what I had.

Name:  TAN Hong Yu (Tan is the family name, Hong Yu the given name)
Place of birth: Can't remember...
Languages: English, Mandarin and assorted other Chinese dialects.
Family:
- Mother: SIM Siang Fern
- Father:  Tan Xing Li
Both were technicians in the 12th Star Guards. Both deceased.
Height: 171cm
Weight: 65kg
Physical description:

Unique physical attributes and personal gear: Ambidextrous. Hong Yu also has a stripped down netro-helmet salvaged from a speeder that allows him better control of his hovertank. This has previously allowed him to single-handedly control a Saladin.

Current Rank and Position: Lt Commander Tan Hong Yu

Pilots: Drillson hover tank

Education: Born, bred and trained in the 12th Star Guards before being kicked out of the unit for the engagement of overwhelming enemy forces that cost the life of his crew.

Notable Skills:
Speed freak? Fully certified vehicle technician.

Previous Military Experience (number of years): 2-3 years as technician with the 12th Star Guards, another 3 years at least as a combat tanker. (I believe we had him officially switching from dependent to employed merc at the age of 15/16.

Personal History: Born into the 12th Star Guards to parents who had been lifelong technicians, Hong Yu had known only life as a mercenary. Starting off under the tutelage of his parents, he was trained and tested as a vehicular technician by the age of 15. However, his fetish for hovertanks and his natural ability to manoeuvre them had many Star Guards tankers requesting for his induction into their ranks as a combat crew. Within 3 years, Hong Yu rose from driver to vehicle commander, to eventually commanding his own lance. However, his reckless streak resulted in the death of his crew when he and his lance fought against an overwhelming number of enemy forces when they could have used their speed to disengage in the last combat campaign he clocked with the 12th Star Guards.

Hong Yu was exiled from the Guards, and settled down under the care of another retired former 12th Stars Guards technician on Mudball (sorry, can never remember the name of the planet we RPed in the last time). Recruited to provide additional tech support for the Heavy Cav, Hong Yu was offered the chance once again to take control of a combat hover tank, and has never looked back since.

Captain Vlad

• Corporal
« Reply #27 on: 07 November 2011, 23:14:52 »
Still looking for a pic...found a Mass Effect fem Sheperd pic I may have to steal...

whistler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: 07 November 2011, 23:54:24 »
thanks BP.  naturally, your character profile is approved!  good job bro O0

okay, i am pulling together a few last-minute details, including finishing the unit's Field Manual entry (which will have the finalized roster and all of the unit special abilities.  this will be in a new thread, along with your profiles (i may do a little proofreading but will not make any real changes without discussing it with you first) and pictures.  please finalize your profiles and have your pictures selected within the next two or three days.  this thread will remain here for out of character discussion like this... the Heart of the Storm game thread will be for in-game, in-character interaction only.

i will also repost the first post of the arc, with a few slight mods to add in our new player characters.  this will give you a chance to do a bit of warm-up character interaction with me, and eachother, as you see fit.  you'll get a feel for the system pretty quickly, i think.

if you want to take on a secondary character (if you want to), then let me know.  from the writing samples i have i think all of you would be able to handle it.  most any combat NPC is available, except for Buggerman, Franks and our aerospace pilots.  i may even allow someone to play Jillian Albin.  any non-com 'pet' character, like your personal tech, can be done as you see fit.  just keep in mind that they are minor characters. ;)

i'm still hoping a few vets will be rejoining us, but i've gone ahead and finalized the storyline with your new characters. 

"get ready to ride, people!"
« Last Edit: 08 November 2011, 02:04:43 by whistler »

whistler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: 08 November 2011, 01:40:16 »
a little announcement here for you guys... it looks like, thanks to the player characters we have (and don't have), i'm going to be able to do some reorganization in the unit's mech forces.  no player mechs will be changed.  however, i feel like i should put it up for discussion.

we've always been a bit sluggish for a cavalry unit, even by 3025 standards.  if we shuffle some of the mechs around we can keep all our 4/6 movers in the command lance, add a pair of 5/8+ mechs, and have our players spread evenly across all three lances.  if we did a ton of customization pre-game (six months on a DropShip is a long time, and we will have stopped on every major planet with mech parts...), we could modify four of our mechs with jump jets and we would all be jump capable.  reguardless of the jump jet refit, here is the roster i am looking at:

Code: [Select]
- Thunderbolt*
  Archer*
  Warhammer
  Hunchback
- Grand Dragon*
  Wolverine*
  Griffin
  Dervish
- Wolverine*
  Gladiator* (GM)
  Phoenix Hawk
  Jenner

now, if i were to pull some JJ mods... 'Claw, it would be up to you bro.  i put together a mod but if you went with it the design would be all your call.
Code: [Select]
- Thunderbolt* (-5SS mod)
  Archer* (2 LRM 15s w/ 4 tons ammo, 4 MLs, 2 HS, 4 JJs)
  Grasshopper
  Hunchback (Swayback mod.  PPC, 5 MLs, 7 HS, 4JJs)
- Grand Dragon* (PPC, ML, SRM 6 w/ 1 ton ammo, 2 HS, 5 JJs)
  Wolverine*
  Griffin
  Dervish
- Wolverine*
  Gladiator* (GM)
  Phoenix Hawk
  Cronus (we'll go through FWL space after all...)

thoughts?
« Last Edit: 08 November 2011, 01:42:52 by whistler »