Author Topic: New FGC anyone?  (Read 22213 times)

Daemonknight228

• Lieutenant
  • mei veneratio est mei vita
New FGC anyone?
« on: 11 April 2012, 05:07:25 »
So, the FGC here stalled out sadly enough. I know I was bummed. And Intelser's FGC 91 has been stalled for quite some time, pending a major rules overhaul, intended to see the game move in a much more detailed orientation, and also much more structured.

However, while Dave B is building the new rules, there has been zero FGC activity for some months, and I'd hate to see a perfectly viable ruleset go to waste. So with his blessing, I cordially invite anyone interested in an FGC over to the Intelser.org website, to participate in our new game. The rules are post, they are functional, and once we have an Era(I'm leaving it up to you, the players), I can get the required factions built and open registration. Assuming the interest is there quickly, we can have pre-Game role playing active within a week or two, and the official Turn 1 can begin on May 1st.

For those who would like it, here is the link: www.intelser.org/forums
Global Moderator - Intelser.org

"I imagine he burned up on re-entry. That kind of happens when one is spaced in orbit without any kind of flight suit, parachute, or other protective gear...."
-Herb Beas

Space him from orbit...it's the only way to be sure.

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
Re: New FGC anyone?
« Reply #1 on: 11 April 2012, 06:34:51 »
Well I'm interested and went over and voted. 

Daemonknight228

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 11 April 2012, 07:50:56 »
Excellent! Glad you're on board Ian.

"I imagine he burned up on re-entry. That kind of happens when one is spaced in orbit without any kind of flight suit, parachute, or other protective gear...."
-Herb Beas

Daemonknight228

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 11 April 2012, 15:36:33 »
Incase others are curious, here are the potential starting dates, I've taken the liberty of naming the major conflict in each year:

In descending order:

3067 - WoB Jihad(1 vote)
3062 - FedCom Civil War
3059 - Operation SERPENT
3048 - Pre-Operation REVIVAL***Earliest IS + Clan Starting Era***(1 vote)
3039 - War of 3039
3028 - Fourth Succession War
3014 - Marik Civil War(1 vote)

Just so we're clear, the conflicts listed to not encapsulate the scope of the game if selected- they merely state the most prominent conflict of the time period. The 3014-3039 start dates are listed to give us a chance to play an Inner Sphere/Periphery only game. This simplifies much of the game, but in my opinion takes something away(my first love in CBT has always been the Jade Phoenix trilogy, and thus Clan Jade Falcon). Therefore, only choose those time periods if you are looking for a game devoid of the Clans - they will not be introduced untill somewhere around the actual invasion start date(not the correct one, to keep people guessing), and they would be introduced as an NPC menace for the players to deal with. They would not be availible for player control untill after the Truce(if such were to be achieved) halted the advance and established the 'permenant' OZs.

-Herb Beas

Daemonknight228

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 11 April 2012, 16:40:13 »
updated vote count:

3067 - WoB Jihad(1 vote)
3062 - FedCom Civil War
3059 - Operation SERPENT(1 vote)
3048 - Pre-Operation REVIVAL(1 vote)
3039 - War of 3039(1 vote)
3028 - Fourth Succession War
3014 - Marik Civil War(1 vote)

and I would like everyone to thank Chaosxtreme on intelser for agreeing to play mapmaker. He's been excellent thus far, and it means we'll have quality mapmaking for the game.

-Herb Beas

Crunch

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 11 April 2012, 22:20:11 »
So... given the wealth of source material was there any reason 3085 wasn't an option?
It's really, it's a very, very beautiful poem to giant monsters. Giant monsters versus giant robots.
G. Del Toro

Lord Harlock

• Captain
  • Watching from the Shadows
« Reply #6 on: 12 April 2012, 00:18:43 »
Probably the similarity to Flashpoint, an interseler fgc, was a factor, but I'm just guessing. Though at this point, Flashpoint which was an alternative universe from the start and 3091 are so divorced from canon that a FGC 3085 would be totally different at this point. Though there is the factor of Republic of the Sphere being a white elephant faction. Does anyone actually want to play them or is it doomed to be a GM faction? And if a player faction does arise, would they kill Stone as soon as possible to go down their own path? Plus, there'd be the possibilities of all the other factions just deciding to gang up on the Republic of the Sphere as well considering they'd be dead center on the board. Then again, that shouldn't be held against the idea of a 3085 fgc just it'd probably go off the rails as soon as possible just like all the good ones.   

Daemonknight228

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 13 April 2012, 04:34:59 »
Uh okay, having a brain fart...Writing up the touman for Clan Wolf and inputting VIPs on the ground forces sheet, and I've run into something that sounds wrong, but I need assistance. In 3049, Leo Showers(CSJ) was still the ilKhan, yes? Which means that good 'ol Ulric Kerensky was...what, a GalCom for the Wolves, or a Khan? If he is Khan, was Natasha just a Star Colonel, or what? The only book I can find that gives me the unit breakdowns prior to Tukkayid is the old Clan Wolf sourcebook. But thats written post-Tukkayid, about the forces from before the Invasion, from what it looks like.

If thats not a good source, can someone point me to a book that'll give me the total look at all the major players' militaries and industries pre-invasion? I want the beginning to be as authentic as possible in terms of who has what for their military(at least for their major units)

-Herb Beas

Daemonknight228

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 13 April 2012, 04:41:09 »
And to answer your question -  there isn't really a reason, I just more or less didn't think of it. I know little about the Jihad, let alone RotS era, so it doesn't really jump to mind. No reason we couldn't run one there, but from the looks of the vote, it wouldn't have won the race anyways. If I put it up there and people start screaming for the ability to change their votes, I'm more than happy to start then.

As for who would run it...I guess that depends...from what some people have told me, its basiclly the uberpower of the universe at that point, and I'd be a little uneasy letting someone run it. What would likely be done is what Dave B did with the TH in 62 before the time-jumps: let the players all play people who sit on the ruling council(that would be the Paladins, correct?) while the GMs control the Exarch, and just keep the faction running very close to whatever the players decided(unless it seemed to run counter to the good of the game, or it seemed like someone was trying to game the system). But thats just an initial thought at this point, I'm not really worried about it unless people want to run it then.

Damn...means I need to buy some new books. Crunch, can you tell me which E-Books I'd need to buy to get the necessary military and industrial information to setup the game, please?

-Herb Beas

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 13 April 2012, 08:26:43 »
Uh okay, having a brain fart...Writing up the touman for Clan Wolf and inputting VIPs on the ground forces sheet, and I've run into something that sounds wrong, but I need assistance. In 3049, Leo Showers(CSJ) was still the ilKhan, yes? Which means that good 'ol Ulric Kerensky was...what, a GalCom for the Wolves, or a Khan? If he is Khan, was Natasha just a Star Colonel, or what? The only book I can find that gives me the unit breakdowns prior to Tukkayid is the old Clan Wolf sourcebook. But thats written post-Tukkayid, about the forces from before the Invasion, from what it looks like.

If thats not a good source, can someone point me to a book that'll give me the total look at all the major players' militaries and industries pre-invasion? I want the beginning to be as authentic as possible in terms of who has what for their military(at least for their major units)

I am 100% sure showers was still the ilkahn in 49
I am 99% certain ulrich was a galaxy commander/kahn (note the kahn overrides his "actual rank" while he holds that office)
I am pretty sure natasha was a star colonel until she and phalen did their ToP and then may have immediately been promoted to galaxy commander

Daemonknight228

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 13 April 2012, 09:03:05 »
according to the book, at the time of it's writing(apparently right after Tukkayid), Natasha is a Khan, but still holds the nominal rank of Star Colonel. Some guy named Garth Radick(nominal Galaxy Commander) is listed as the other Khan, but it doesn't tell me whose the saKhan(I presume Natasha?)

-Herb Beas

Lord Harlock

• Captain
  • Watching from the Shadows
« Reply #11 on: 13 April 2012, 10:16:27 »
Actually, I think that Natasha had assumed the senior Khan position quickly after Tukkayid; this is because Phelan became her saKhan at the end of Blood of Kerensky. Garth Radick died during Tukkayid, and before he became a Khan, he was in charge of Beta Galaxy as a Galaxy Commander. Garth had been Ulric's saKhan, so when he got the nod to become ilKhan, Garth got to be Khan with Natasha voted in as saKhan. Though in all honestly, Ulric pretty much still ran the Wolves. 

Anyhow, Bred for War revealed that Ulric Kerensky was a Star Colonel before he became Khan of the Wolves. So his actually rank is Star Colonel without the Khanship.

Era Report: 3050 is probably a good place to get names for characters and what not for the pre and post Tukkayid era. Though on the Inner Sphere side, the 20 Years Update has all the listings for all the mech units.

« Last Edit: 13 April 2012, 10:18:28 by Lord Harlock »

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 13 April 2012, 19:11:46 »
Revival era just seems so massive and I fear one or two players per faction.  It might be better to focus on the LC, FRR and DC v Clans rather than everything.  Still allows for foreign units to play, say volunteers to fight the clans.  Things like Davion units inLyran space would be triggered by events or loss of key worlds.  To expound on that, FWL and CC units can assist the FRR and DC, but their numbers and the like are determined by the GMs, just like Davion units in Lyran space would be.  That way, if players want to RP a brigade or regimental CO from their favourite faction, they still have the chance, but it keeps the action on the Invasion, removes the FC superstate to some extent and still allows for GM intervention/fickleness.  It might also work well with the Clans, keep the JF/Wolf/GB/SJ corridors, but change up the Nova Cats/Vipers/Sharks to different Clans if players would rather have those. 
« Last Edit: 14 April 2012, 01:42:07 by Ian Sharpe »

Daemonknight228

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 15 April 2012, 20:41:40 »
So the voting has changed direction, and it's now he 3039 starting Era in the lead with 5 votes, and only the RotS era having more than 1. So, it's pretty clear to me where people would like to start, thanks mostly to Ian's idea for keeping the faction count low. As he has suggested, if the playerbase increases enough, and theres interest enough, we can make a small timejump forward to 3048/49 and have Revival and the Clans open up. But for now, we're sticking with the following roster:

Lyran Commonwealth
Federated Suns
Free Worlds Leauge
Draconis Combine
Capellan Confederation
Free Rasalhauge Republic
St Ives Compact

and Registration has just been opened up, so if you are wanting to play, get over there now and register for your faction(s) of choice while you can!

-Herb Beas

Fatebringer

• Major
  • 138th Mechanized Infantry The Chicago Division
« Reply #14 on: 23 April 2012, 14:37:26 »
11 people so far :) pretty good DK, pretty good

Star Captain Jared Siegel ~ Clan Snow Raven Forum
"If every mech was built like in MWO, we'd all be carrying ammo in our feet..."

Daemonknight228

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: 23 April 2012, 16:17:51 »
Hoping for more once people see the game start and get some momentum :)

-Herb Beas

Fatebringer

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 23 April 2012, 16:27:41 »
If we had 3 per great house, 2 for Rassies and 1 for St. Ives, I'd be happy.

Hobbitlauncher

• Corporal
  • Free Skye!
« Reply #17 on: 23 April 2012, 18:21:35 »
ooh, i missed out on this thread. I'll trundle on over and toss a vote. I can't guarantee I'll be super active, but I can lurk like there's no tomorrow!

EDIT: I actually can't find the exact thread. Created an account over there. Not sure where to look but feel free to shoot me a PM or whatnot.
« Last Edit: 23 April 2012, 18:31:06 by Hobbitlauncher »

There is no shame in not knowing. The shame lies in not finding out.
-Russian Proverb

Daemonknight228

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: 23 April 2012, 18:47:00 »
The era has already been selected, we're running in 3039. Feel free to sign up in the FGC Registration thread however.

And Fate, I'd be more than happy with that number, haha. I'd be comfy with even 2 players per House.

-Herb Beas

Hugin

• Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: 24 April 2012, 08:37:40 »
thanks a lot for this post!!!

I'll be over in the intelser board in a minute!
RIP? No way. You, Albatross drink with Oden and Thor in Valhallas great halls and I'll join you soon!

Daemonknight228

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: 28 April 2012, 04:38:30 »
It's almost that time again folks...

The FGC is close to starting up. Chaos has presented the pre-game map, which is now open for territorial disputes. Faction leaders are perusing their notes, making sure their borders are correct to period. They have also been asked to present a list of atleast 4 facilities that could serves as Prestigious Facilitites, locations where their research and development teams will be located, aswell as the training grounds for their most elite units. Depending on how fast the faction heads come back with whatever updates they can find, we should have the finalized map ready within a few days if Chaos has the time to get the map kicked out.

Faction sheets are almost finished, and will soon be distributed. We have every faction with atleast 1 player, and several have more: the Lyran Commonwealth is the most populated with 3 players; the Federated Suns, Capellan Confederation, and FWL all come in with 2 players.

If anyone was on the fence about joining, because they didn't know if this was actually going to take off, it looks pretty good right now. Players are interested, the rules updates are posted, including the brand new Research and Development rules I crafted myself with help from Dave Baughman. The game should be starting early next week, and this is your last chance to get in on the ground floor and be one of the members who has been there from the very beginning.

-Herb Beas

Fatebringer

• Major
« Reply #21 on: 02 May 2012, 08:47:47 »
We're at 15 now, so we got a crew :)

Stormcrow

• Major
  • Art by Shimmering Sword
« Reply #22 on: 02 May 2012, 09:45:55 »
I'll be playing the part of the Capellan Sacrificial LAmb (aka SIC)
Commandant Otto Maurus, ARWH-1Z ArcHammer, Maurus' Minutemen
Captain Obadiah Sykes, OSR-5FCR Ostroc, Second Filtvelt Citizens Militia

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. - Confucius
Noli Timure Messorem
May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. - Voltaire
Wielder of the Ferro-Carbide Bat of DOOMâ„¢

Fatebringer

• Major
« Reply #23 on: 02 May 2012, 13:33:12 »
Aaah, so that's you.

Daemonknight228

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: 07 May 2012, 10:40:42 »
So Fate, we're a Lyran player away from making you happy now :P

-Herb Beas

Hobbitlauncher

• Corporal
  • Free Skye!
« Reply #25 on: 07 May 2012, 19:27:55 »
I could volunteer, but how exactly does it work, people run an entire house/portion of the house? My higher level politics, lore, and such is absolutely abysmal, and my time constraints are questionable =/

(Yeah I know i keep waffling back and forth on the idea of this lol)

There is no shame in not knowing. The shame lies in not finding out.
-Russian Proverb

Nibs

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: 07 May 2012, 22:51:30 »
I'm still thinking about joining up. No real preference on which faction, but I'll try to decide if I'll play or not soon.

Fatebringer

• Major
« Reply #27 on: 08 May 2012, 17:06:33 »
I could volunteer, but how exactly does it work, people run an entire house/portion of the house? My higher level politics, lore, and such is absolutely abysmal, and my time constraints are questionable =/

(Yeah I know i keep waffling back and forth on the idea of this lol)

The paperwork and burden of leadership (Slight that, reverse it  ^-^) is held by the Faction Head who is the one authorized to make the decisions for the faction.

If you sign up for a faction as a new player, your a Minion (Member) of that faction and you work with your Faction head to see what you can do.

Run any plot ideas / role-play scenarios by your faction head before you post them and when battles are posted tell them your megamek skill and when you can play.

It really is all about what you have the time for and like to do. The game has a full system for completing conflicts if the game is not completed in Megamek.

I'd recommend going to the Intesler Forum and checking out the rules and the posts that are already up to get an idea of how things run.

Daemonknight228

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: 13 May 2012, 00:36:06 »
So Fate, we have the 3/3/3/3/3/2/1 breakdown you said would make you happy...did it work? Satisfied? :P

With the map being finished, and me just needing to copy/paste the territory info into the sheets, all we are waiting for is the Faction Heads to finish their military, and this game is good to go. If everyone got their stuff in tonight/tomorrow, we could have orders due on Wensday, and start the game on Friday

-Herb Beas

Stormcrow

• Major
  • Art by Shimmering Sword
« Reply #29 on: 13 May 2012, 12:37:25 »
The SIC has done it's early work, though I was, and continue to be, a bit overwhelmed
Commandant Otto Maurus, ARWH-1Z ArcHammer, Maurus' Minutemen
Captain Obadiah Sykes, OSR-5FCR Ostroc, Second Filtvelt Citizens Militia

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. - Confucius
Noli Timure Messorem
May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. - Voltaire
Wielder of the Ferro-Carbide Bat of DOOMâ„¢