Author Topic: Quest Thread Okay?  (Read 7990 times)

Vehrec

• Lieutenant
  • Mr. Flibble is Very Cross
Quest Thread Okay?
« on: 21 October 2015, 12:08:16 »
So are there any rules about Questing on this board?  Or is this the first time anyone's ever asked the question before?  Do the mods even know what Questing is, or will that link be their first introduction to the bastard spawn of CYOA books, text adventure games, and other which was incubated in the iron womb of 4chan?  I'm planning to avoid the excesses of 4chan obviously, and the focus will be on text-this board is kinda not suited to an art-quest and I can't draw.

And I have a few ideas I'd like an interest check on-Mech Designer Quest, Pirate King Quest, Clan Administrator Quest, various things like that, people might be interested or disinterested in.  I'm sure everyone here wants to be a past their prime Solhama garrison leader, right?
*Insert support for fashionable faction of the week here*

Escudero

• Corporal
  • Think forward.
Re: Quest Thread Okay?
« Reply #1 on: 21 October 2015, 17:04:55 »
Would this be synonymous to 'contract' for mercenaries?
Aura Wings Mercenary Group

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #2 on: 21 October 2015, 17:07:50 »
You mean like the old Fan Council forums or semi-formal RP? That's been brought up a few times, but never went anywhere. Usually we'd just refer people to the Hall.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

croaker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 21 October 2015, 17:20:33 »
A "quest" RP is typically where the GM is writing a story, and invites the forum to participate in doing so. What will happen is that he will write up to a decision point, then invite the readers to vote on what choice to make at that stage.

It can be fun, and is easier on the GM (usually) than a full-up play-by-forum RP. It can invite a lot of discussion of just what the POV character should do, however. :)

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 21 October 2015, 19:31:46 »
I have no objection I suppose. Is the content closer to this forum or the hall? (Be honest.)
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Vehrec

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 21 October 2015, 19:34:52 »
I have no objection I suppose. Is the content closer to this forum or the hall? (Be honest.)
What the heck do people even DO in the Hall?  I've tried to read their threads and given up after a couple pages of pure dada every time.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 21 October 2015, 23:05:18 »
What the heck do people even DO in the Hall?  I've tried to read their threads and given up after a couple pages of pure dada every time.

Expect... Silliness.

Vehrec

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 22 October 2015, 16:04:56 »
Expect... Silliness.
Silliness is one thing.  Comedy has been a part of every successful RPG I've ever been in...but that's a whole other level of Dadaism.  I'll put it in the main forum, because I at least intend to have a coherent story to tell.

Now, do you have any preferences as to what kind of story we should tell...collectively?

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 22 October 2015, 16:28:51 »
Well, what I mean is that it ought to be at least based in the Battletech universe if you're posting here. And I say that as a mod. Otherwise we'd probably have to find a best venue for it whether Off Topic or the Hall. edit: or possibly FanFic?
« Last Edit: 22 October 2015, 16:53:45 by Bedwyr »

Vehrec

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 23 October 2015, 08:29:41 »
Well, what I mean is that it ought to be at least based in the Battletech universe if you're posting here. And I say that as a mod. Otherwise we'd probably have to find a best venue for it whether Off Topic or the Hall. edit: or possibly FanFic?

Um yeah but I previously suggested ideas like "Mech Designer Quest, Pirate King Quest, Clan Administrator Quest," and nobody expressed any preference for any of those.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 24 October 2015, 17:55:39 »
So I yakked a bit with the mods behind the curtain and this is the way we'd prefer to go:

- We support a fun bit of RP and story-go-round. It looks pretty cool.

- However, this forum is dedicated to Battletech RP. We're pretty flexible about what form that can take, but in the end it's a Battletech sub-forum.

- You're still welcome to RP other subjects. If the subject holds together I don't see any reason it can't thrive in off-topic.

- If it gets overly silly or random, it'll end up in the Hall. Sorry, but that's the way the ball bounces.

- The RP stays within the rules. If we see it get disgusting, gross, or explicit (the overall forum we try to keep to around PG-13 because kids do come here), it gets locked, possibly removed.