Author Topic: Need help with a CHH Galaxy  (Read 5091 times)

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
Need help with a CHH Galaxy
« on: 09 May 2018, 15:04:04 »
So I’m in the process of creating a new CHH Galaxy in the vein of Kojak’s AMAZING Tau Galaxy, and I need some advice on how to structure it. The Galaxy will consist of a Galaxy Command Supernova, a Horde Cluster, a Ranger Cluster, a Cavalry Cluster, a Strike Cluster, and an Assault Cluster.

I made the following notes, pulled from FM: Crusader Clans and other sources, so I’d really like to stick to these guidelines as much as possible.
  • Roughly 2/3rds of all BattleMech Stars are part of a Nova
  • All vehicle Stars contain an equivalent number of vehicle Points
  • Average Cluster consists of 5 Trinaries
  • Alpha/Beta/Gamma Trinaries are typically Mech/Elemental mixes
  • Trinary Delta is usually aerospace fighter support
  • Trinary Epsilon is normally a Supernova of conventional armor and conventional infantry
  • Horde Clusters consist of a Mangudai Trinary (almost entirely light ‘Mechs and vehicles), a Tulughma Trinary (heavy and assault machines), and a Support Supernova (contains the Cluster’s few infantry)
  • Ranger Clusters consist of very fast, lightweight, long-range skirmishing units (Mechs and vehicles)
  • Cavalry Clusters contain faster light to heavy Mechs, a handful of assaults thrown in for support, are used as recon and fast response, also contain elite jump-capable conventional infantry and Elemental infantry, also contain hovercrafts and VTOLs dedicated to infantry support, no favored weapon types
  • Strike Clusters balance speed and hitting power, contain medium to heavy weight classes, reduced number of infantry, favor energy weapons
  • Assault Clusters consist of heavier Mechs and aerospace fighters, infantry and vehicles emphasize hitting power over speed, favor destructive weapons like heavier autocannons and missile weapons

To be clear, I’m NOT looking for unit selections. I’m just wanting to know how exactly I should break down each Cluster into its individual components (Trinaries, Novas/Supernovas, Points) so I can start the process of unit selection. And I’d like to adhere to canon as much as possible

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
Re: Need help with a CHH Galaxy
« Reply #1 on: 09 May 2018, 18:09:59 »
Well " Average " doesn't mean must have... So you could run Binaries in Nova formations if you wanted to.

Now with saying that, how do you plan on the Protomechs your kinda forgetting? A Binary per Cluster or less?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #2 on: 09 May 2018, 18:13:58 »
Oh, I meant to add that into here as well. The Orc entry describes how the Horses attach their Protos to each unit, so I was gonna run with that for now.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #3 on: 09 May 2018, 21:55:35 »
FWIW, in the modern era the Procyon-Q has pretty much replaced the Orc in most of the touman, since it does basically the same thing only much better.

Relatedly, though I haven't tried it myself, you could pair Notos QuadVees with Procyon-Qs for a pretty brutal Nova.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2018, 01:53:52 »
Hmm. I don't recall Ranger units being long-range skirmishers, where did you see that, or is it jut because that's probably the best bet with fast lightweight units? :)

The big thing is going to be the decision on your Elemental to Mech ratios in the first 3 Trinaries. Everything past that kind of works itself out, IMO.

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2018, 02:14:34 »
Hmm. I don't recall Ranger units being long-range skirmishers, where did you see that, or is it jut because that's probably the best bet with fast lightweight units? :)

FM3145, in the entry for Iota Galaxy. :)

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2018, 03:19:28 »
I like to think the Parash and Hadur make up a large proportion of any given Ranger Cluster. They're pretty much perfect for those.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2018, 10:53:10 »
I really appreciate the assistance, gents. It’s going to make a somewhat laborious task much, much easier. :)

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2018, 11:34:08 »
One more question: would it be a bad idea to incorporate any of the conventional infantry units from TRO 3085? I think they’re kinda cool.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 10 May 2018, 12:44:18 »
I don't see why it would be? Obviously not all of them are going to fit in every unit, but I wouldn't see why it would be a bad idea.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #10 on: 10 May 2018, 18:30:03 »
One more question: would it be a bad idea to incorporate any of the conventional infantry units from TRO 3085? I think they’re kinda cool.

At least in my not-so-humble opinion, go Clan Heavy Jump Infantry or don't bother at all; the others are either too specialized to be useful in the vast majority of situations or just crappier than their generic equivalent. The Heavy Jumpers are perfect for the thing that infantry is really great for: holding critical points on the battlefield to deny them to your opponent at bargain-basement prices. They pair beautifully with the Hephaestus in particular, which is zippy enough to deposit them near that heavy woods hex you want to deny to an enemy assault 'Mech before it can arrive.

- Klarg1

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #11 on: 10 May 2018, 19:21:30 »
At least in my not-so-humble opinion, go Clan Heavy Jump Infantry or don't bother at all; the others are either too specialized to be useful in the vast majority of situations or just crappier than their generic equivalent. The Heavy Jumpers are perfect for the thing that infantry is really great for: holding critical points on the battlefield to deny them to your opponent at bargain-basement prices. They pair beautifully with the Hephaestus in particular, which is zippy enough to deposit them near that heavy woods hex you want to deny to an enemy assault 'Mech before it can arrive.

It was the first one I looked at. :) Although I’m not gonna lie, I’m smitten with the look of those Fast Recon hovercraft.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #12 on: 10 May 2018, 19:56:44 »
I dearly wish those guys were as effective as they are cool-looking, but in spite of their name, they're an infantry unit that still only moves as fast as a Dire Wolf (you know, that famous go-to reconnaissance platform), takes double damage in open terrain (generally the only sort it'll be moving in since mechanized infantry move at half-speed in woods and buildings), and is far too heavy to be carried by any IFV or VTOL. They're flavorful, I'll grant, but that's really about all they've got going for them.

- Klarg1

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 10 May 2018, 22:17:27 »
What's really nice is that those little pods got stat'd under the RPG rules in ATOW Companion :)

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #14 on: 10 May 2018, 22:58:45 »
What's really nice is that those little pods got stat'd under the RPG rules in ATOW Companion :)

They did? Do you know the page number? I wanna check them out!

EDIT: I found it. :) Odd that they share a name with one of their QuadVees.
« Last Edit: 10 May 2018, 23:02:03 by tassa_kay »

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #15 on: 11 May 2018, 01:59:10 »
Yeah, if those infantry moved 14/21 like those hovercraft do, I'd totally re-evaluate my opinion of them.

- Klarg1

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #16 on: 11 May 2018, 08:35:50 »

The ideas in this post and thread may also be useful.

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=23468.msg1044766#msg1044766
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Kasaga

• Lieutenant
    • Project: LEGION (An AU by Kasaga)
« Reply #17 on: 14 May 2018, 12:26:20 »
So I am not familiar with the Mongrel doctrine and suck at looking it up in my books and Sarna.  But if I was to develop a Galaxy and Clan organization it would have been the Hells Horses.  They are ferocious battlefield organization able to hit way above their weight in force size.  They are also some of the most economical force organizations I have seen.  Better then even the LCT (Which is a god awful organization in my opinion).

Front Line Horse Galaxy circa 3067'ish in my opinion.

Galaxy Command: Supernova (10 OmniMechs + 25 Elementals + 25 Gnome BA)

1ST Mechanized Cavalry Cluster:
       - Alpha BattleMech Trinary (15 OmniMechs)
       - Bravo BattleMech Supernova Trinary (15 OmniMechs + 75 Elementals)
       - Charlie BattleMech Supernova Trinary (15 OmniMechs + 75 Elementals)
       - Delta Aerospace Trinary (30 OmniFighters)
       - Echo Vehicle Support Supernova Trinary (30 Combat Vehicles + 375 Infantry)

2ND Mechanized Cavalry Cluster:

3RD Mechanized Assault Cluster:
       - Bravo BattleMech Supernova Trinary (15 OmniMechs + 50 Elementals + 25 Gnome BA)
       - Charlie BattleMech Supernova Trinary (15 OmniMechs + 50 Elementals + 25 Gnome BA)

4TH Mechanized Strike Cluster:
       - Alpha BattleMech Supernova Trinary (15 OmniMechs + 50 Elementals)
       - Bravo BattleMech Supernova Trinary (15 OmniMechs + 50 Elementals)
       - Charlie BattleMech Supernova Trinary (15 OmniMechs + 50 Elementals)
       - Echo Vehicle Support Supernova Trinary (30 Combat Vehicles + 50 Elementals + 125 Infantry)

5TH BattleMech Cluster:
       - Bravo BattleMech Trinary (15 OmniMechs)
       - Charlie BattleMech (10 OmniMechs + 25 Elementals)
       - Delta Aerospace Binary (20 OmniFighters)
       - Echo Elemental Binary (50 Elementals)

Again this is just my take.  5 Clusters with a Command Super Nova.  I added the BattleMech Cluster as a quick reaction force or second line force.  The Horses still used them and I figured add it.  This could also be a reserve force for reinforcing other Clusters during trials.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #18 on: 25 May 2018, 20:43:58 »
Any luck with this thus far? If you need someone to bounce ideas off of feel free to hit me up.

- Klarg1

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #19 on: 28 May 2018, 11:22:36 »
Any luck with this thus far? If you need someone to bounce ideas off of feel free to hit me up.

Not yet, but I’ve been on vacation so it’s kinda been on the backburner.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 28 May 2018, 20:34:08 »
5TH BattleMech Cluster:
       - Bravo BattleMech Trinary (15 OmniMechs)
       - Charlie BattleMech (10 OmniMechs + 25 Elementals)
       - Delta Aerospace Binary (20 OmniFighters)

I kinda have  pet peeve here...

Battlemechs = Standard not Omni...

If you'll allow me...

Galaxy Command: Supernova (10 OmniMechs + 25 Elementals + 25 Gnome BA) > OK <

1ST Mechanized Cavalry Cluster: > GREAT <
       - Echo Vehicle Support Supernova Trinary (30 Combat Vehicles + 375 Infantry) > Whaaa? 3 Stars of Vehicles AND 3 Stars of PBI?

Try this:
Charlie could be a Binary Supernova ( 10 Omnimechs + 50 Elementals )
Echo could have a Star of 10 Combat Vehicles and a Binary of PBI... ( 250 Infantry )

2ND Mechanized Cavalry Cluster: > OK <
       - Echo Vehicle Support Supernova Trinary (30 Combat Vehicles + 375 Infantry) > Whaaa? Same as 1st

Charlie could be a Trianary Supernova ( 15 Omnimechs + 50 Elementals )
Echo could have 30 Combat Vehicles and a Binary of PBI... ( 250 Infantry )

3RD Mechanized Assault Cluster: > OK
       - Bravo BattleMech Supernova Trinary (15 OmniMechs + 50 Elementals + 25 Gnome BA)
       - Charlie BattleMech Supernova Trinary (15 OmniMechs + 50 Elementals + 25 Gnome BA)
       - Echo Vehicle Support Supernova Trinary (30 Combat Vehicles + 375 Infantry) > Redundancy again?

Maybe drop a Toad Star from Bravo and Charlie And make Echo ( 20 Combat + 175 Infantry - Fast Recon, with 3rd Echo mostly Artillery?

4TH Mechanized Strike Cluster: > OK
       - Alpha BattleMech Supernova Trinary (15 OmniMechs + 50 Elementals)
       - Bravo BattleMech Supernova Trinary (15 OmniMechs + 50 Elementals)
       - Charlie BattleMech Supernova Trinary (15 OmniMechs + 50 Elementals)
       - Echo Vehicle Support Supernova Trinary (30 Combat Vehicles + 50 Elementals + 125 Infantry) > Maybe drop the PBI? And make most Hovercrafts to Force Recon for the whole Galaxy?

5TH BattleMech Cluster:
       - Alpha BattleMech Binary (5 Omnimechs, 5 Battlemechs + 25 Elemntals)
       - Bravo BattleMech Trinary (15 Mechs)
       - Charlie BattleMech Trinary (15 Mechs)
       - Delta Aerospace Binary (20 Fighters)
> Assuming most of these are Royal / Klondike - IICs <

But these are just suggestions tassa...

TT
« Last Edit: 28 May 2018, 20:37:34 by truetanker »
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

Kasaga

• Lieutenant
    • Project: LEGION (An AU by Kasaga)
« Reply #21 on: 29 May 2018, 12:24:47 »
I like your suggestions and I forgot to put OmniMechs for 5th cluster.

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #22 on: 29 May 2018, 21:35:55 »
I’d have to go through this and update it for the 3145 era, of course, but the overall organizational structure looks quite sound. If you don’t mind, I may use this as a starting point.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 30 May 2018, 14:10:07 »
I must apologize...

I thought I was talking to Tassa_Kay, instead I was talking to Kasaga instead when I placed my suggestion input.

For that, I'm sorry... late posting and sleepy eyes... for crying out loud you both have too many a's and s's in your names!

* Drops mic *

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 18 June 2018, 23:07:40 »
So how goes the new Cluster?

And how are your plans of getting them some combat?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #25 on: 19 June 2018, 22:05:14 »
Honestly, I’ve been in a bit of a lull with it because I’ve also been working on other projects, but it’s not forgotten.

But part of me worries that I’ll be stepping on Kojak’s toes a bit, as he’s already built a pretty amazing Horses Galaxy.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #26 on: 20 June 2018, 03:38:57 »
Dude, don't worry about that all, there's plenty of room for more than one non-canon Horse force.

- Klarg1

Register