Author Topic: What movies are we watching: B-Movie Blitz  (Read 157332 times)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Re: What movies are we watching: B-Movie Blitz
« Reply #540 on: 11 April 2018, 17:30:37 »
I've caught Ready Player One as well.  It was good movie, more light on plot more on flash.
However its more a eye-candy roller coaster, but it does have some heart to it.

"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #541 on: 11 April 2018, 23:50:06 »
Decided to re-watch an oldie from the 90s...  Red Planet with Val Kilmer and Cary ann-moss..
Still holds up well..  BUT i always wondered.

WHY was it with them being that far out, they couldn't detect that mass solar flare being incoming BEFORE it hit them??
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #542 on: 12 April 2018, 00:28:20 »
Decided to re-watch an oldie from the 90s...  Red Planet with Val Kilmer and Cary ann-moss..
Still holds up well..  BUT i always wondered.

WHY was it with them being that far out, they couldn't detect that mass solar flare being incoming BEFORE it hit them??
its a plot device...it always annoyed me when stuff like that happens in the movies for no reason or explanation...hated it as a kid despised it as an adult...
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

MoparMessiah

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pimpin' Mopar Goodness since the Dawn of Time
« Reply #543 on: 12 April 2018, 06:23:38 »
Watched Star Trek Discovery Episodes 1-5

Graphics seem good.  Plot seems OK.  Script writing seems weak. 

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #544 on: 12 April 2018, 15:25:11 »
*The Night Stalker,* 1972.  The first Kolchak film.  I picked up the whole series, so I am watching it in order.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #545 on: 13 April 2018, 16:09:20 »
ok terry pratchets good omens book is being made by bbc into a series later on this year . loved the book especially the 4 horsemen...btw one of which had been replaced because science made him break out in frustration so he retired...cant wait to see it on small screen. looks like the former doctor david tennant is playing one of the major players...

re watching jonathan strange and mr norrell...fun romp through alternative history during english war with napoleon...when magic comes back after 300 years being gone...crowley
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #546 on: 15 April 2018, 01:13:02 »
Knucklehead on netflix. A completely random find looking for something else (The Pacifier).  I have to admit I enjoy the wide range of movies the WWE studios have produced. This one was a fun family film.

Also random find - and okay if you're teenager at heart - The Princess Protection Program. Disney Channel movie. Being into alternate realities, I kinda thought it would be neat to see an Earth that is completely dotted with all kinds of little city-state kingdoms, each with its own princess. That's not what this one was about, but came close to that kind of backdrop.
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #547 on: 15 April 2018, 01:36:12 »
Went to see Ready Player One last night.  From reviews i'd seen, I was worried it was gonna be trying to RAM the 80's nostalgia down your throat in a forceful manner aka

But it wasn't THAT bad and all in all the film was very enjoyable, the action was good, the CGI was pretty darn amazing, it made me smile seeing tons of stuff I recognised and the acting was pretty good too. All in all an enjoyable film. Gonna have to read the book now.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #548 on: 15 April 2018, 02:21:34 »
Murder on the Orient Express. Very atmospheric film. Helps that I haven't read the novel - always wanted to, didn't. Great acting all around. Looking forward to Death on the Nile.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #549 on: 15 April 2018, 08:01:10 »
Murder on the Orient Express. Very atmospheric film. Helps that I haven't read the novel - always wanted to, didn't. Great acting all around. Looking forward to Death on the Nile.
So it's not better than earlier films?  Like the 2001, 1979 film, even the 1934 one just called Orient Express? I wanted to see this new one, i THINK i may seen earlier 1934 one and 1974 one on my old UHF movie channel back in the day.  Sean Connery was in 74 film that was 11th best film of that year.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #550 on: 15 April 2018, 08:11:11 »
So it's not better than earlier films?  Like the 2001, 1979 film, even the 1934 one just called Orient Express? I wanted to see this new one, i THINK i may seen earlier 1934 one and 1974 one on my old UHF movie channel back in the day.  Sean Connery was in 74 film that was 11th best film of that year.
AFAI can tell its a straight up adaptation. No I've never watched the other films or read the book - I've just started the novel btw. Poirot was never really my thing - I'm a diehard Holmesian :D

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #551 on: 15 April 2018, 16:10:57 »
Getting ready for Infinity wars, with a re-watch of all the marvel films..
Did IM 1 last night,
have IM2 for tonight,
then thor 1,
then Capt 1
then avengers 1
then IM3
Then thor 2
then capt 2
Then Gotg 1 AND 2
Then avengers 2
Then Antman
Then Capt 3 civil war
Then Dr strange
Then Spidey homecoming
Then thor 3

Since BP and "Antman and the wasp" are not yet out on video, i can't do them...

Banzai

• Major
« Reply #552 on: 16 April 2018, 17:35:53 »
Antman and The Wasp haven't been in a theater yet, so they are not really in line before *Infinity War.*

I have been running through the same path for a month or so, getting ready for the 27th.

In other films, just picked up *Atomic Blond* and *Collateral.*  Haven't watched *Blond* yet, but *Collateral* was outstanding.  I am a fan of Michael Mann's direction (and eye - his view makes LA into a character,) and I find I still enjoy Tom Cruise's acting.  Jamie Foxx did a fine job, though he was at times so amiable I wanted to slap him.  (In my headcannon, Max was so traumatized by this night he got a bunch of tats and moved to Atlanta, changing his name to "Bats." )  Cruise does a great job as a sociopath who starts out personable but devolves over the course of the night.  Really solid film. 

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #553 on: 16 April 2018, 19:47:44 »
Lots of Marvel movies to watch, over 40 hours.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #554 on: 17 April 2018, 00:51:29 »
Well going in order (inc Times), we have
Capt 1 - 2 hrs 4 min (124 min)
IM 1 - 2 hrs 6 min (126 min)
IM 2 - 2 hrs 4 min (124 min)
Inc Hulk - 1 hr 52 min (112 min)
Thor 1 - 1 hr 55 min (115 min)
Avengers 1 - 2 hrs 33 min (153 min)
IM 3 - 2 hrs 10 min (130 min)
Thor 2 - 1 hr 52 (112 min)
Capt 2 - 2 hrs 16 min (136 min)
GotG 1 - 2 hrs 1 min (121 min)
GotG 2 - 2 hrs 16 min (136 min)
Avengers 2 - 2 hrs 21 min (141 min)
Antman - 1 hr 57 min (117 min)
Capt 3 - 2 hrs 27 min (147 min)
Dr Strange - 1 hr 55 min (115 min)
Spidey home - 2 hrs 13 min (133 min)
Thor 3 - 2 hrs 10 min (130 min)

So NOT counting AMTW and BP (still in theaters), we have 17 movies with a combined total of 2,172 minutes of viewing time, which equates to 36 hrs 12 minutes...

That's a LOT of watching!!

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #555 on: 21 April 2018, 12:40:33 »
ok sick again...damn my neighbors and their ilk...
so now i have the time to go on watching binge if i can stomach it.
all 007 james bond movies from 192 to 2015.
ask me in 3 days if i still enjoy the movies after the binge...

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #556 on: 21 April 2018, 12:56:54 »
Brought the fam to Ready Player One and we all enjoyed it. The story didn't feel like anything new but it was still good. The nostalgia took it up a notch from there.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #557 on: 21 April 2018, 15:52:42 »
Well going in order (inc Times), we have
Capt 1 - 2 hrs 4 min (124 min)
IM 1 - 2 hrs 6 min (126 min)
IM 2 - 2 hrs 4 min (124 min)
Inc Hulk - 1 hr 52 min (112 min)
Thor 1 - 1 hr 55 min (115 min)
Avengers 1 - 2 hrs 33 min (153 min)
IM 3 - 2 hrs 10 min (130 min)
Thor 2 - 1 hr 52 (112 min)
Capt 2 - 2 hrs 16 min (136 min)
GotG 1 - 2 hrs 1 min (121 min)
GotG 2 - 2 hrs 16 min (136 min)
Avengers 2 - 2 hrs 21 min (141 min)
Antman - 1 hr 57 min (117 min)
Capt 3 - 2 hrs 27 min (147 min)
Dr Strange - 1 hr 55 min (115 min)
Spidey home - 2 hrs 13 min (133 min)
Thor 3 - 2 hrs 10 min (130 min)

So the first five down (IM1, 2, Inc hulk, Cap 1 and Thor 1)..  Avengers 1 is later this evening..  Then onto the rest tomorrow and in the week..

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #558 on: 22 April 2018, 11:28:58 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhwktRDG_aQ

please wont you be my neighbor?

am i only one that is willing to see this in theater and face the crowds of the unruly?
of all the movies coming out soon this is the one that caught my attention for not only it being about the icon of america but also unlike most it had no big explosions to gt your attention

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #559 on: 22 April 2018, 11:56:14 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhwktRDG_aQ

please wont you be my neighbor?

am i only one that is willing to see this in theater and face the crowds of the unruly?
of all the movies coming out soon this is the one that caught my attention for not only it being about the icon of america but also unlike most it had no big explosions to gt your attention

This might be worth seeing.
There was also that PBS documentary within the last month or so that was quite good as well.

Now I'm feeling old...

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #560 on: 22 April 2018, 12:58:10 »
You're never too old for Mr Rogers.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #561 on: 22 April 2018, 14:50:20 »
Caught Hugh Jackman's "The Greatest Showman", and man did i love it.  Outstanding acting and singing..

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #562 on: 22 April 2018, 18:08:16 »
You're never too old for Mr Rogers.

Mr. Dressup, all the way.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #563 on: 22 April 2018, 19:30:36 »
I learned something today that has me really wishing for "what might have been".

I was listening to a biography of famed director Akira Kurosawa, and during the section where the author covered Kurosawa's long professional relationship with actor Toshiro Mifune he said that, before offering the role of Obi-Wan to Sir Alec Guiness, George Lucas offered it to Mifune.

I have been picturing Mifune as Obi Wan all day. Man, that would have rocked for me!
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #564 on: 22 April 2018, 20:57:55 »
I think I heard that before.  But it would have rocked, especially given how much Guinness hated the role.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #565 on: 23 April 2018, 03:56:06 »
Obviously with Infinity War coming out very soon it does not need to be said but No spoilers! If you spoil Infinity War, I will laminate your dog.  If you do not have a dog, I will buy you one, let you get attached to it and THEN laminate it. 

Also I watched a classic last night, the first Tremors, its still a damn enjoyable movie!

Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Banzai

• Major
« Reply #566 on: 23 April 2018, 11:17:41 »
No dog lamination, got it.

Watched Atomic Blond. Brutal fight scenes, some quite good, including a 7-minute long bruiser in an abandoned hotel that was very good. The movie does great in subverting the "the hero never shows damage" trope, and Charlize Theron takes a beating.  A lot of Cold War paranoia and double/triple/quadrupedal crossing (the film takes place days before the Berlin Wall came down and everything is supposed to change, spy-wise.)  Great cast, including James McAvoy, John Goodman, Sofia Boutella, and Bill SkarsgĂ„rd in a very fun role.  It earns its R-rating, and I give is a strong "B" grade. 

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #567 on: 23 April 2018, 15:43:12 »
ok one of my favorite novels is  a classic that no one with a mind will not say its one of the best novels written by alexander dumas count of monte cristo.over the years i watched few adaptations of the book russian german french and american
and two that really struck me as the best of all movies out there were 1934 and 1998 versions.
and one mention that got me started on the road to read at age 5 after watching the movie the 1975 version with richard chambarlain. the dungeon stay of edmunt dantes was the scene that had made a big impression on me ...even at age 5
sadly i was not able to read the book till i was 8 no librarian would let me get my hands on the book...
so does any one have a fave version of the adaptation of the novel?

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #568 on: 23 April 2018, 16:17:35 »
Also I watched a classic last night, the first Tremors, its still a damn enjoyable movie!

I love it too, even liked #3 and 4.. 

Banzai

• Major
« Reply #569 on: 23 April 2018, 16:53:55 »
I didn't even hate #2, Aftershocks.  It was D2V, which is always a hit in the casting and effects budget, but they did a great job with what they had.  Most important to me, they didn't just recycle the original plot and monsters, taking them in a completely different direction with the Screamers.   Some people didn't like them at all, but at least the movie took a chance.  Gotta respect that.

Register