Author Topic: 3028-3057 Random Assignment & Rarity Tables - 12 June v10.64  (Read 281666 times)

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
EDIT 12 June 2021: Small fixes.  See reply 612 on p. 21 for the core details.

Please check back on occasion for updates; I'll keep the thread title updated with the date of the last changes.

CONTENTS:
 - random mech and vehicle assignment tables by faction for 3028, 3039, 3050, and 3057
 - a rarity guide

These faction tables date to 3028 (on the eve of the 4th Succession War), 3039 (at the opening of the War of 3039), 3050 (Clan and House tables covering the initial invasion through to Tukayyid), and 3057 (Operation Guerrero).  The goal is that ALL machines appropriate to the eras and that have been published in an official Battletech product are here, along with every single published variant.

The tables all use 3D10 (aka D1000), and are ranked according to Battle Value v2, so a low roll gets you a low-BV model.  As such, rolling high won't necessarily get you the heaviest machine, but it should get you a better one.

I've also created an availability ranking system based on the fluff, so you can at last have an idea of not just what's available, but how common it is.  I rated each machine's availability on a ten-point scale.  The scale is only meant to represent how common that particular unit is within both its weight class and the force in question.  It is not meant to give an accurate picture of total numbers produced or in service in all factions: besides the fact that hard production numbers are almost never found, different weight classes have different deployment ratios.

If a machine is not listed with a faction it's not to say that that machine cannot be found there at all, but rather that there is no significant amount and no native supply.  Ultimately in the chaos of war it's perfectly feasible to see at least one of any machine in the ranks of any faction, but these tables merely attempt to depict typical native deployments.  I felt otherwise you might as well just place every machine in every faction, which seems to me to be a rather dull and flavourless way to handle it.  See the pdf for a more detailed explanation on these sorts of issues.

Important Note: these tables make absolutely no attempt at balance!  The goal was fidelity to the in-universe background material, not creating balanced forces for use in pickup games.  So if you find one force keeps getting 75-ton death machines and the other is stuck with 60-ton crap, blame the fluff, not me.

If you're going to print it, know that it's in Landscape format (the sideways layout used in the Technical Readouts) rather than Portrait/Standard.

DOWNLOAD:
It's a 100-page PDF (2,020 KB) hosted here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tdtgiek8g6tame8/3028-3057%20Random%20Assignment%20%26%20Rarity%20Tables%2010.64.pdf?dl=0

EXTRAS:
Note that thanks to the efforts of Netzilla and Battlemaster, these charts are now included in Megamek (look in /data/rat/unofficial)

I am open to and would greatly appreciate feedback on anything: typos, missing elements, disagreements on who got what or how much of it, etc.  If you want to reuse any of this in another work, feel free -- I just ask that you provide a link back to this thread as credit.  If you find a use for this, please bump the thread.

Special thanks goes to Battlemaster, BigDuke66, Cyttorak, Frabby, jasonf, Matti, nckestrel, Netzilla, TJHairball, and ralgith for help and fact-checking above and beyond the call of duty.
« Last Edit: 12 June 2021, 16:52:09 by Xotl »
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: 3025-3050 Faction Assignment & Rarity Tables - wise fwom your gwave
« Reply #1 on: 05 February 2011, 14:40:10 »
Reposted from the old forums by request.
« Last Edit: 31 December 2011, 21:11:37 by Xotl »

wolftech

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: 05 February 2011, 16:09:34 »
Hey men, really wonderful to see this thread back here  [notworthy]
I was hoping that this thread came back after the forum jihad.
Is it correct, that you're still working in further updates of this list?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #3 on: 05 February 2011, 16:10:36 »
Thank you kind sir!  I'll be sure to point people looking for RAT's here vice the archive now. O0

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #4 on: 05 February 2011, 17:29:59 »
Yes, version 8 is being slowly worked on, but it's an absolutely huge update.  Also, grad school and MUL work takes priority, and there's a lot of it.  I'll add a tentative changelog to this post later tonight.

EDIT:
Clan Second-Line
3050 Capellan A
3050 Draconis A
3050 FedSuns A
3050 Free Worlds A
3050 Lyran A
3050 ComStar

What I think I'll do, in order to actually get the next version out some time this century, is to stick to finishing off 3050 for v8, leaving the 3057 stuff for a later release.
« Last Edit: 06 February 2011, 02:17:13 by Xotl »

greywolf79

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 05 February 2011, 22:20:44 »
I am looking forward to the next version... Excellent work!
GreyWolf.

Runeslinger

• Recruit
    • Casting Shadows
« Reply #6 on: 06 February 2011, 00:58:34 »
Incredibly useful!
 Thank you very much for all the time and effort~
Runeslinger

It doesn't matter that it has all been said before~

Cannon_Fodder

• Warrant Officer
  • Dream of freedom from the 2d6 bell curve.
« Reply #7 on: 06 February 2011, 03:40:37 »
Yes, version 8 is being slowly worked on, but it's an absolutely huge update.  Also, grad school and MUL work takes priority, and there's a lot of it.  I'll add a tentative changelog to this post later tonight.

EDIT:
Clan Second-Line
3050 Capellan A
3050 Draconis A
3050 FedSuns A
3050 Free Worlds A
3050 Lyran A
3050 ComStar

What I think I'll do, in order to actually get the next version out some time this century, is to stick to finishing off 3050 for v8, leaving the 3057 stuff for a later release.

WOOT 3050 coming  [rockon] Now I can use it in the games I play. The 3039 tables are great but no that helpful in 3050-58 games.

Avatar by ShadowRaven  Sig banner by HikageMaru

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #8 on: 06 February 2011, 04:05:07 »
Well, bear in mind the 3050 tables are only for the top of the line elite units - for the most part, the 3039 tables still apply to the Inner Sphere in 3050.   Even the elite units will still be mostly 3039 machines.  Here's a unofficial list of House units that could have top-of-the-line tech in 3050:

Capellan Confederation:
Capellan Hussars: 1st Hussars (Red Lancers), 3rd Hussars (Blandford's Grenadiers)
Warrior Houses: House Dai Da Chi, Fujita, Hiritsu, Ijori, Kamata, Lu Sann, Ma Tsu-Kai
1st McCarron's Armored Cavalry
Death Commandos

Draconis Combine:
Otomo
Genyosha: 1st Genyosha, 2nd Genyosha
Sword of Light: 2nd Sword of Light, 7th Sword of Light
1st Proserpina Hussars
Ryuken: Ryuken-ni, Ryuken-san, Ryuken-yon, Ryuken-go, Ryuken-roku

Federated Suns:
1st Federated Suns Armored Cavalry
Avalon Hussars: 20th Avalon Hussars, 41st Avalon Hussars, 42nd Avalon Hussars
Crucis Lancers: 1st Crucis Lancers, 3rd Crucis Lancers, 7th Crucis Lancers
Davion Brigade of Guards: Assault Guards, Heavy Guards, Light Guards, 1st Davion Guards, 5th Davion Guards

Free Worlds League:
Free Worlds Legionnaires: 1st Legionnaires, 2nd Legionnaires, 5th Legionnaires
1st Free Worlds Guards, 2nd Free Worlds Guards
1st Marik Militia
Fusiliers of Oriente: Ducal Guard

Lyran Commonwealth:
Arcturan Guards: 17th Arcturan Guards, 19th Arcturan Guards
Lyran Guards: 6th Lyran Guards, 10th Lyran Guards, 26th Lyran Guards
Royal Guards: 1st Royal Guards, 2nd Royal Guards, 3rd Royal Guards
« Last Edit: 13 February 2011, 04:12:31 by Xotl »

BigDuke66

• Master Sergeant
  • Last of the Wilds!
« Reply #9 on: 13 February 2011, 03:17:55 »
Yea really good to see XOTL is still alive and kicking.  [rockon]

Of course this is the first thread I visit after this damned WOB attack, may the burn in hell!

Hersh67

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 13 February 2011, 10:26:30 »
Yea really good to see XOTL is still alive and kicking.  [rockon]

Of course this is the first thread I visit after this damned WOB attack, may they burn in hell!

We're working on it, one WoBbie at a time...

Trenchknife

• Sergeant
  • Combined Arms is Life and Death
« Reply #11 on: 13 February 2011, 12:44:44 »
Excellent stuff!  Thanks for the work.  Once I get back home to my computer this will be one of my first stops to download.  :)

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #12 on: 13 February 2011, 14:33:41 »
I realized that if I was doing ComStar and Clan Second Line I'd need Star League, since they all draw on a similar pile of machines, so add Star League Regular 2750 and Star League Royal 2750 to the new charts to come.

Hersh67

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 13 February 2011, 17:18:05 »
I imagine it would be a lot easier on you if they stopped coming up with new mech designs...  Like that would ever happen. :D

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #14 on: 13 February 2011, 17:56:39 »
I realized that if I was doing ComStar and Clan Second Line I'd need Star League, since they all draw on a similar pile of machines, so add Star League Regular 2750 and Star League Royal 2750 to the new charts to come.
Are you petitioning for sainthood or something?  We are simply not worthy...  [notworthy]

BigDuke66

• Master Sergeant
  • Last of the Wilds!
« Reply #15 on: 13 February 2011, 19:53:44 »
SL too?
YEA BABY YEA  [rockon]

St.George

• Lieutenant
  • there's nowhere to run
« Reply #16 on: 14 February 2011, 06:38:22 »
Thanks to your exellent work for the Bt comunity and look forward to your 58+ tables(if you so choice to do) and the SL you've mentioned.As for the Bastard Wobbies that hacked the site(yes,I siad bastard),,,you thought the Jihad was bad,,,wait till you have  a Texas class park 35 miles "above" your house(yes we know where you live)   >:(
"Smoke em' if ya got em' boys,,,We're goin' in"

Fletch

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 14 February 2011, 06:56:20 »
(yes we know where you live)   >:(

A trailer park?

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #18 on: 14 February 2011, 08:54:39 »
The sheer scale and scope of these tables are impressive, and I can hardly imagine the hours that were put into it.  The only thing that I find "odd" is how little the "flavor" of the various Houses matches that of the random 'Mech assignment tables from the old Mechwarrior 2nd Edition book.  Of course, those were a much simplified 2D6 chart, but some of the differences are pretty drastic.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 14 February 2011, 09:22:56 »
The sheer scale and scope of these tables are impressive, and I can hardly imagine the hours that were put into it.
Indeed. Check out the links to the two old forum threads to catch a glimpse of the depth of discussion behind these tables, and just how much data was collated.

I think it is safe to say Xotl's tables are currently the best, most accurate and most up-to-date RATs/faction lists you can find for BattleTech.

The only thing that I find "odd" is how little the "flavor" of the various Houses matches that of the random 'Mech assignment tables from the old Mechwarrior 2nd Edition book.  Of course, those were a much simplified 2D6 chart, but some of the differences are pretty drastic.
It has been established that Random Allocation Tables (RATs) as presented in various BT publications are a rule/game mechanic more than an accurate depiction of canonical in-universe data. Thus, RATs are an "inferior" source compared to almost all other sources regarding 'Mech dissemination within the universe.
(This has repeatedly been said and confirmed by Herb on the old forum.)

The reasons are many. RATs are often written for a specific publication and apply to a rather narrow portion of a given military; in other cases, they are abstract guidelines for gameplay purposes where the actual lineup is known.
In cases where no other information is available, RATs may indicate the proliferation of a given 'Mech type, but they are overridden by virtually every other (official) publication.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
So, in between some work for another project I've finished my Star League stuff and wanted to run it by the collective wisdom of the forums.  Please note two important things:

1) these are set in 2750

2) if a Royal mech is missing, it was almost certainly constructed after 2750.  The coming-soon-I-swear MUL has all the dates, so if I left a Royal off, it's for a reason.

That having been said, I'm mostly looking for opinions on the Av numbers.  Also of interest is that there's next to nothing cool for Star League medium mechs.  Should I have included regular (non-fancy tech) mechs in royal units?  Did I miss anything non-royal?

EDIT: link removed, SL tables now incorporated in the main set of tables.
« Last Edit: 31 December 2011, 18:34:59 by Xotl »

Neufeld

• Captain
  • Raven, Lyran, Horse, Capellan, Canopian, Bear
I find it unlikely that the SPR-4F Spector with Null-Sig and Chameleon would be available in the regular army, and have as high as a 7 availability in the Royals.

EDIT: No Mackie variants?!
« Last Edit: 15 February 2011, 12:34:34 by Neufeld »

"Real men and women do not need Terra"
-- Grendel Roberts
"
We will be used to subdue the Capellan Confederation. We will be used to bring the Free Worlds League to heel. We will be used to
hunt bandits and support corrupt rulers and to reinforce the evils of the Inner Sphere that drove our ancestors from it so long ago."
-- Elias Crichell

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Yeah, I was getting the Spector confused with another mech entirely.  Thanks.

As for the Mackie, I'll have to check its fluff again again, but Op Klondike says the SLDF had undergone a major overhaul at this time, so I tried to minimize obsolete equipment.

EDIT: yeah, the Mackie -9H should be there as a second-line unit, but at only a "few hundred" left that's less than the Crab and Flashman, so Av 1.
« Last Edit: 15 February 2011, 15:05:49 by Xotl »

Frabby

• Major
As for the Mackie, I'll have to check its fluff again again, but Op Klondike says the SLDF had undergone a major overhaul at this time, so I tried to minimize obsolete equipment.
I recall there was a fan speculation that the Mackie frames were refitted into Atlas 'Mechs. It's just a theory as far as I can tell, but it sure might explain why there are so few Mackies and how the Atlas could be "mass-produced".
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

BigDuke66

• Master Sergeant
  • Last of the Wilds!
Is that pure speculation or is there at least some kind of hint from a source book?

avon1985

• Major
So very very cool its hard to say whats the coolest part. [rockon]

Frabby

• Major
Is that pure speculation or is there at least some kind of hint from a source book?
As far as I recall, pure speculation, albeit one that I recall was viable from the context.

Orcmaul

• Recruit
Hello

Just a possible bug report for v7.95 of the PDF.

On page 12 you have the Heavy & Assault list the breakdown for regular as 25%.  This results in a total of 105% for this row.  Looked it up in BF1 and it should be 20% regular.

Thank you for the great tables.
Victory through Spreadsheets!

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Good catch - fixed for the next version.

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
Awesome- thanks!
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Register