Author Topic: I kinda have an odd request...  (Read 1293 times)

RevenVrake

• Master Sergeant
  • When in doubt, alpha strike!
I kinda have an odd request...
« on: 04 January 2019, 07:24:18 »
So you see I play a lot of Megamek with a buddy and we occasionally have friends drop in and start connecting laptops to make everything fit but then we run into the old problem of "What do I use? There's just so many to pick from"  :o

Now, normally we just hit the random army button but that can give us some odd picks thrown in.

So, if you have 10000BV to play with, the sky is the limit for tech and C-Bills are no problem BUT you want to keep it in theme, what do you bring on a snap judgement?

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
Re: I kinda have an odd request...
« Reply #1 on: 04 January 2019, 10:55:14 »
I normally just pick and Faction and an era and roll the number of units I want off the RATs
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

Hadral

• Recruit
    • Battletech France
« Reply #2 on: 04 January 2019, 13:10:24 »
If the BV matters, use the "BV Matching" tab of the "Create Random Army" screen. It is the quickest way to set up a balanced game. Not my favorite, though.

If the theme and background matters, I like to use the "Formation Builder" or the "RAT Generator". I first generate my Lance according to the regiment I want to play with (often Sword of Light but sometimes something very different like... Genyosha or Dieron Regulars :p). Then I generate the opposing team according to whom I want to fight against (and sometimes they are not even Fedrats !), rerolling until the BVs of the two teams are not too unbalanced (usually around 10%-15% of difference is ok).

The RAT tab seems trickier to use, or at least need more patience, but you can set up a team very accurately, especially if you have a specific conflict in mind.
« Last Edit: 04 January 2019, 13:16:15 by Hadral »

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 05 January 2019, 00:55:01 »
So you see I play a lot of Megamek with a buddy and we occasionally have friends drop in and start connecting laptops to make everything fit but then we run into the old problem of "What do I use? There's just so many to pick from"  :o

Now, normally we just hit the random army button but that can give us some odd picks thrown in.

So, if you have 10000BV to play with, the sky is the limit for tech and C-Bills are no problem BUT you want to keep it in theme, what do you bring on a snap judgement?

if I'm reasonably sure it's just mechs, Five 3/4 Sun Cobras.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #4 on: 05 January 2019, 03:33:42 »
I use the RATs and then adjust for any special 'Mechs I want to fight against or just try something new.
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Register