Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
First image I'm pretty sure is the Dragon crest for House Dai Da Chi, though it looks a little wonky. Fourth image is the 1st Arkab Legion.

Edit: last image might be the 1st St. Ives Sentinels, but again a little wonky.
Looks like Friday is going to be the day of new stuff.

Was there an announcement somewhere?
Just got some Ironhold Battle Armor today and while I know that it's an old sculpt at this point, I hope that in the future if IWM decides to make any multi-piece battle armor figures, they'll at least stick them to two pieces maximum rather than forcing us to glue each individual gun on.  And make sure that the contact area for gluing is bigger.
Or these?
Can anyone identify these?
Aerospace Combat / Re: FC Naval Command Decision
« Last post by Cannonshop on 07 May 2024, 15:33:05 »
I don't disagree that IS Warship crews "at first glance" seem to lack experience since ZERO Warships were around a decade before the Jihad.

That said, I do think your forgetting something.

NONE of those Warship crews were actually green nubes fresh out of basic.
Somewhere in the fluff I've seen it written that all the early Warship Crews were made up of combinations of Dropship & Jumpship crews.

I don't have FM:FWL in front of me, but I have a vague memory of one of the FW Corvette captains being a "Veteran Avenger" captain from the FW Assault DS Navy group.

Essentially the best of DS & JS crews got moved to WS since they each had 1/3 of the "XP recipe".
For lack of a good definition the Recipe as I see it is (Thrust Based Maneuver Combat / IE DS,  KF Drive / IE JS,  & then Combo/Size/NavalGuns training to put it all together)

They got OTJ training as actual WS school classes were created, some eventually got those, as backfill training & eventually new graduates of DS/JS schools could then get WS training.  But from what I recall a lot of it was OTJ/basic classes training for the veterans of the house navies that already had plenty of time as either KF-JumpShip or Assault DS groups.

The green nubes were then backfilling in for all those JS/DS crews that were half gutted to fill out the first WS crews.

It wasn't ideal to be sure, but I think your example of not knowing what Damage Control is, is a bit off, since they had people coming from combat DS branches.

Branches, that don't do damage control, and can't do some of the basics of damage mitigation, because they primarily exist to move soldiers from the jump point, to the surface, and you can't keep ground pounders wrapped in pressure suits so that you don't have your shipboard atmosphere transmitting fires and shockwaves.

Some dumb jackass always forgets a critical piece of gear, and it's questionable if there's even a suit available that a 'mechwarrior can WEAR in their cockpit.

Not with the standard being booty shorts and a cooling vest...and that is the guy who's going to have the command authority to dictate your environmental settings, and your thrust curve on approach-because he's not strapped into an accel couch wearing a flight suit...and neither are his troopers, who likely left something unsecured.

trip and fall at three gees and you're likely to need an ambulance if not the morgue van from broken bones and internal bleeding.  Means dropships do a lot of their flight time not exceeding one gee, and not maneuvering too hard.

Jumpships top out at .01 gee to .1 gee for the really sporty models.  "Maneuvering" means in a few hours you can get turned around and maybe do a soft-dock.  These being INNER SPHERE jumpship crew, being "Shot at" is rare enough they'll need special classes and maybe counseling after the first time it happens to them...assuming they survive.  (the whole "Jumpships are sacrosanct" thing for centuries would tend to build LOTS of bad habits and assumptions. bake them right into the base psychology.)

The number of bad habits that will get you killed in a warship multiplies here, including the bad habit of not everyone understanding that hits do more than merely hull breaches-they create massive fires and you're carrying lots of ammo-a hit that bad on a dropship and you don't have to worry about the crew-they're dead, as is their ship.

go through your older books, 'durable' on dropships (durable enough for damage control procedures to matter) didn't start happening until the Word of Blake started slapping protectoin and capital weapons on Mules in the 3060s.

Maybe even from lessons learned in Alain's Big Adventure.

The nearest equivalent (functionally) would be taking your local F&W patrol, some merchant seamen off big cargo boats, your local yacht club, and putting it under the command of a Naval Historian like Drachinifel-and giving them a barely-refurbished USS Missouri, or Iowa.

As long as they're not facing an actual navy crewed by regulars with professional standards, they'll do 'okay'-at least, avoid grounding themselves on a rock somewhere.

Thankfully, they were facing Clanners whom are about on part with a 3rd year Annapolis Cadet in terms of actual experience (only, with an organizatoin that encourages the kind of shit behavior professional navies tried since the days of Nelson to beat out of their officers), but have all the awesome new toys.

For THIS exercise, the challenges for the FSN, is simply building up a professional, working Navy, rather than a collection of militaria in the hands of highly literate, but otherwise unprepared, amatuers.

If they did that, it wouldn't really matter what kind of ships they have, because Navies only work if the crews and officers are good-in the modern day "Sailors who fight beat warriors who sometimes visit boats".

same thing here-the hypothetical FSN has to focus on developing a skills base and an institutional culture of professionalism that would look like inhumane nightmare fuel to the ground arm, with emphasis on mastering their environment and their survival equipment (their ships).  such a Navy would eat the collections of militaria used by someone else.

even with lower tech solutions and answers.

What tasks need to be mastered?

1. interception, and withdrawal in deep (non close orbital) space.  This is the big one, because it's difficult enough to be rare.  Working out how to catch pirates at the pirate point, or just outside it, instead of waiting for 'm to reach close orbit.

2. Mapping.  Map the gravity wells, map their positions, map the systems you're defending, know where the pirate points ARE, and where they will be.  This isn't about in-system jumps, it's about being able to react to a probe before they're burning wal-mart to the ground.

3. Damage Mitigation.  You are in a warship, you will be shot at, your enemies, will probably hit.  Find ways to work your ship that make this NOT a fatal event for the entire crew.

4. RECON.  Naval forces work best with information.  Information is gathered passively, and actively, but you can't trust that Comstar is going to deliver the reports of your spies in time for them to be of use, nor can you trust them not to deliver those reports to the people you're spying on.  A working navy needs to do recon, that target system? if you don't know the patrol periods, range, and composition of the enemy's militia and/or garrisons? you've failed, don't launch the mission.  Launch a mission to spy on them instead, maybe using...

5. Duration Operation: why did the SLDF have such a huge cargo on their warships? well, the Zenith and Nadir are the closest permanent and stable approaches (Pirate points are transitory-they appear and disappear periodically).  you can enter from BEYOHND the jump limit at angles local defense can't afford to look.  but, this requires fuel and food, and spending LOTS of time in space.  GET USED TO DOING THAT.  also get used to using telescopes and radio antennas and coping with lightspeed delay and doppler effect so you can gather useful intel.

Humans are creatures of habit, observe one long enough, and you'll know how well he reacts, and how he reacts, and how to turn that against him.

6. Under Way Replenishment in support of Duration Ops.  The less time your crew spends in port, the fewer chances they have to tell a bar-girl something that screws your whole strategic offensive.  This also sharpens and develops your OWN ability to predict what YOUR forces can, and can't accomplish.

7. Communications!!!  Navies in the age of sail carried critical messages because they were secure means of doing so.  Ninety percent of your FSN (or other Great House Navy) needs to be carrying messages and critical info you're not stupid enough to trust to Comstar.  A 'Command Circuit' should be your normal, not something that strains your assets, you need to have couriers who only go from system a, to system b, and do so rapidly and regularly with alternates.  This is like putting a supercharger on any warships you have, because they can actually know where to go in time to be worth sending.

wall of battle and gun-power is tertiary to these-it's ridiculously easy to deny an enemy a battle he's prepped to wage for months, or to deny him the terms he intended when he started preparing.
Clan Chatterweb / Re: “Save” the Jags
« Last post by Hellraiser on 07 May 2024, 15:31:40 »
I have wondered why none of the other Clans declared a Trial of Absorption for the Jaguars. At least when they knew Huntress was invaded by the Inner Sphere.
Declared?

I think you mean Propose?

And then from there either the GC has to choose that clan &/or that clan has to win the bid.

And then go make the attacks to claim those properties.

And what/where does that happen?

Vinton?  If the Sharks hadn't already taken the Jag Enclave

Certainly not Huntress which is in SLDF possession.

Strana Mechty against the Khan & his last 9 mechwarriors?

And if it is a bid, how low do they go?  I bid 8 mechs,  I bid 1 star of mechs & 2 BA points.... ...I bid ...blah blah blah.

There was no proposal because there was no time & no target.... the IS had already taken 90% of everything the Jags owned pretty much.

And GOOD LUCK laying claim to any of that with the forces from Serpent/Bulldog squatting right on them.  That's 5 houses of donation units & a bunch of mercs & even some clanners.

In the time the council could have been debating an absorption the IS showed up & said, "HI, we'd like to talk.".
As Tasha pointed out, they had other things to be thinking about.

A Clan that wins the Absorption bid would be attacking the Jaguars' existing assets, not assets they used to have. There might be an argument that they'd also win the Jaguars' rights to have an invasion corridor, but it's a flimsy one IMO.

Which has nothing to do with their chances of winning the right to Absorb another Clan. Absorptions are bid upon, per ER: Golden Century, with the right going to the Clan that bids the lowest. And at the point where Huntress is taken by the SLDF, literally any Clan would be able to bid and stand an excellent chance of pulling it off.

I'd go so far as to say No claim to the IC at all.
The Clans already had clans in line for that,  (Vipers/Cats/Sharks) and the Sharks were the current "Reserve" & due a shot at a full corridor.
Anyone else ranked lower than the top 7 is going to need to EARN that shot IMO.

There is precedence for a clan being awarded the right & not bid for it as in the Adders/Burrocks/Spirits scenario.

That said, given the Scorps & Sharks were snatching up enclaves, I'm really not sure what there was to "Award" that some other clan (or IS) didn't lay claim to by force of arms.

Except Force Manual: Davion.  Not mentioned for Friday or even within the next two weeks. 
Off Topic / Re: NHL 2023-2024 Vegas Edition: Mojave, Mo' Problems
« Last post by JadeHellbringer on 07 May 2024, 15:21:57 »
Impressive!  Means somebody is actually using them whilst thinking an orange-red 2d6 pair from a gas station outside of Spokane in the never-to-be-used-except-if the-opponent-needs-to-borrow-them drawer are the real snake eyes boxes.

Pfffft. Fool. Imagine thinking there's only ONE set of Hellbie Dice. I've got an entire bag, marked with a biohazard logo. In particular, I'm fond of the swirled-green set that say 'SON OF A BITCH' on the '1' side.

(The Spokane set were translucent-blue, by the way. I hope they suffered.)

I can't remember what I had for breakfast, but I can tell you where I was when the 2012-2013 Maple Leafs lost in game 7  :grin:

100% with you there. I had given up completely and was getting ready for bed when it was suddenly no longer a Toronto blowout, and I got that little glimmer of hope that one should never get in that situation, because it never turns out well... and then, suddenly...
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]