Author Topic: Tell me about...the Lightray  (Read 3540 times)

Alan Grant

• Captain
Tell me about...the Lightray
« on: 06 December 2012, 12:58:08 »
The WoB Lightray, I haven't messed with this machine much but my interest was spiked by its use in a recent game.

I'm particularly curious about some of the pros/cons of its different variants...

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
Re: Tell me about...the Lightray
« Reply #1 on: 06 December 2012, 13:25:49 »
The 4Y is fast and accurate, a sort of groundbound Wraith.  Useful scout hunter.  Very similar feel to the Beowulf in speed and guns.  The 5W is my fave, as its fast, has good range and accuracy, the TC helping out long range shots with the ERPPC or ERMLs, or called shots in closer.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 06 December 2012, 13:34:14 »
The WoB Lightray, I haven't messed with this machine much but my interest was spiked by its use in a recent game.

I'm particularly curious about some of the pros/cons of its different variants...

I quite like the 'Mech. It's very similar to Wraith, but it lacks Jump Jets, so it's not as good. However, the protection is better, that's true.

I don't like the first model LGH-4Y, since SRM ammo is less than ideal thing on otherwise all-energy 'Mech. You can load some alternative loads such as Inferno or Acid missiles. Yes, you may hit with one or two missiles, but I doubt it would be worth it.
LGH-4W is pretty good. It lost those SRM-2 racks, but it gained Targeting Computer; I would call it a good trade-off.
LGH-5W is a refit analogic to TR2. Simple swap of Large Pulse laser for ER PPC. The 'Mech gained range, but there may be some heat problems ...
Especially important is the fact that this is not a Wraith, it can't jump away to cool down ...
LGH-6W lost the TC, but it gained C3I computer. C3 is effective when it works, so it makes sense for Blakists, but if we consider how many 'Mechs and vehicles with ECM emerged in the latter half of Jihad ...
LGH-7W is a return to LGH-4Y in a way. Snubbie was probably an attempt to find some compromise between the original LPL and ER PPC and missile armament is back again.

Lightrays are good 'Mechs, should I choose one, I would take LGH-4W. I don't like missiles here, and ER PPC may run too hot sometimes. I don't like C3 networks too much too. Or, in case no old LGH-4W is available, LGH-7W.

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #3 on: 06 December 2012, 14:52:55 »
I prefer the 5W the most as it provides accurate fire at all ranges.  Lack of C3i does make it a bit odd as a "modern" WoB design (until the 6W of course) but it is what it is.  I tended to use it in the past to hunt smaller units or add it's PPC in with Legacies or other heavy/assaults to supplement their firepower before racing off to flank.

It's a 'mech I actually like a lot and will plop one into my Iron Guards somehow in the near future!

Headshot

• Master Sergeant
  • Trust me. I know what i'm doing.
« Reply #4 on: 07 December 2012, 02:46:57 »
Its overweight, but at least uses that for maxing out the armor, something quite rare for overweight designs.
Treat it as a Light with outstanding armor, and it works great.

I only wish they'd come up with an 8W by now, combining all the good things into one variant: Snubbie, two ER-ML, TC, C3i.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 07 December 2012, 11:39:26 »
Its a pretty nice design, and goes well with the Buccaneer when building forces, since they're both speedy mediums with no jump jets (atleast the original Buccaneer was).

With the earlier variants it was also a good unit to pick when you were playing a WoB force and didn't want to have to deal with the potentially crippling BV of a c3i link. It was a nice way to surprise your opponents when they were expecting c3i units.

It may not have the most effective firepower, but its speed and armor let it stick around for much longer than your opponent wanted, and could often get in places where your opponent really didn't want you.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 08 December 2012, 07:33:05 »
Just a random thought.

I wonder why the LGH-7W wasn't designated LGH-7Y, since it returned to missile weapons.

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #7 on: 08 December 2012, 13:12:05 »
It may not have the most effective firepower, but its speed and armor let it stick around for much longer than your opponent wanted, and could often get in places where your opponent really didn't want you.

This, for sure.  No one hates on you either like they would if you took a Wraith :)

Register