Author Topic: Warship Arms Race III  (Read 3365 times)

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
Re: Warship Arms Race III
« Reply #60 on: 24 February 2024, 17:28:27 »
(...you faux-roman wacko)
Byrd
Cries in latin...

Plebs trying to be Patricius...

Buhawahaha!

Naw, I'm a small fry and you'll have a much bigger fish to fry closer to you, as you try to swallow your own regions, I got enough on my plate. Just going to do my "Can't Bully me, Bryd! campaign... Would you like to know more? Service guarantees citizenship, enlist now at your local MHAF recruitment station! Are you doing your part, citizen?

Scene ends with kids kicking a purple ball ball with FWL emblem on it...

(just joshing with you...)

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Gorgon

• Warrant Officer
  • The little duchy that could
« Reply #61 on: 24 February 2024, 18:14:40 »
Byrd
Cries in latin...

Plebs trying to be Patricius...

Buhawahaha!

Naw, I'm a small fry and you'll have a much bigger fish to fry closer to you, as you try to swallow your own regions, I got enough on my plate. Just going to do my "Can't Bully me, Bryd! campaign... Would you like to know more? Service guarantees citizenship, enlist now at your local MHAF recruitment station! Are you doing your part, citizen?

Scene ends with kids kicking a purple ball ball with FWL emblem on it...

(just joshing with you...)

TT

Just you wait, I'm gonna sell so many weapons to Illyria they're gonna arm every adult, child and chipmunk on that frozen rock!

(I know, it's all good fun)
Jude Melancon lives!

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #62 on: 24 February 2024, 18:42:00 »
Just you wait, I'm gonna sell so many weapons to Illyria they're gonna arm every adult, child and chipmunk on that frozen rock!

(I know, it's all good fun)

Well if you’re suppling Illyria I think I have an opportunity to sell some weapons to the Marians…. I like this idea!

No intentions towards the FWL… just want some extra cash floating around. Gotta make a big ARC ship and name it the ‘Scrooge McDuck’.

Gorgon

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #63 on: 24 February 2024, 19:03:50 »
Solid plan! After all, there ain't no arms race like a proxy arms race!
Jude Melancon lives!

Lagrange

• Lieutenant
« Reply #64 on: 24 February 2024, 20:04:39 »
Expanding a bit on the DC:

Admiral Minamoto Abe owes his position to nepotism, war games, and war theory.  Early commanders complained about Minamoto's excessive suggestions but a few lateral promotions to Draconis Rift exploration fostered by Minamoto's boyhood friend Tenno Kurita helped his commanders develop a more productive attitude.  While fast tracking up through the ranks in active deployment Minamoto saw minimal actual action.  Instead, he drew senior officers into increasingly complex war game simulations which were often shared with Tenno.  Building off that experience and studying the history of engagements across the inner sphere, Minamoto developed and published a doctorate on modern warfare called "Jump power".  Given his whispered backing this became essential reading.  Shortly after Tenno took over as Coordinator, Admiral Abe became the natural trusted lieutenant in charge of all aerospace developments.   

There were grumbles of course about lack of direct battle experience and youth, but Admiral Abe delegated control of fleets and training to those with real fighting experience.  Admiral Abe reserved the majority of his time to perfecting and enabling his war theory focusing on designs and disruptions of complex naval systems.

VensersRevenge

• Lieutenant
  • Is this the real life...
« Reply #65 on: 24 February 2024, 20:23:40 »
Thank you for all the responses on your characters! I hope you all enjoy the additional choices or limitations your starting admirals will have. I will probably begin sending out PMs with some of your first decisions for Turn Zero in the next few days. With all Inner major Inner Sphere powers filled, there is only the Taurian Concordat, Magistracy of Canopus, Principality of Rasalhague, and United Hindu Collective left as NPC powers.
« Last Edit: 24 February 2024, 20:26:38 by VensersRevenge »
...Is this just fantasy?
Warship Arms Race III
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=84031.0

Lagrange

• Lieutenant
« Reply #66 on: 24 February 2024, 22:22:10 »
It may be worthwhile to state broad starting conditions. 

Techs available are as per canon 2350? 

Capital ~= 100x standard? (Other tweaks from canon?)

Things to buy as per last game?   

Tech research handled as per last game?

Budgets as per last game?

There's a number of things that are tweakable here and some tweaks from the previous rounds are good just for variation.

Edit: Also, 2300 or 2350?  There's a fairly substantial variation in available techs.

FastConcentrate8

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #67 on: 24 February 2024, 23:16:39 »
Fleet Admiral Jacob "Jackie" Harrison-Davion, veteran of the Early Crucis Pact Navy, may owe his office commission to the latter half of his surname but has proven himself to be a reliable officer with an eye towards the future. A notable theorist who has published multiple papers on the theory and doctrines of a modern navy in the newly developing WarShip age. Proven in battle against Pirates and other Protostates, Jackie has a trait shared by few other Admirals, diplomatic acumen and has some ideas he'd enjoy sharing with his cousin the President/First Prince (not sure which vesion we will be using since the original game was anachronistic in government structures).

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #68 on: 24 February 2024, 23:24:56 »
Well if you’re suppling Illyria I think I have an opportunity to sell some weapons to the Marians…. I like this idea!

Blonde, Brunette, Redhead or Raven haired? Pick your stock, we have lines of serfs ready for wholesale discounts.

Male and Females available, even kids!

TT

Also, maybe create a new Google Doc with the updated lists?
« Last Edit: 24 February 2024, 23:29:27 by truetanker »
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #69 on: 25 February 2024, 16:03:31 »

List of currently interested players and faction choices:

VensersRevenge: GM/Terran Hegemony
FastConcentrate8: Federated Suns
Daryk: Lothian League
Truetanker: Marian Hegemony
Tyler Jorgensson: Lyran Commonwealth
AlphaMirage: Outworld's Alliance
GermanSumo: Rim Worlds Republic
Gorgon: Free Worlds League
Lagrange: Draconis Combine
Smegish: Capellan Confederation

Should list the Unknown realms not affiliated with a Player.

That way we can see the scope.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #70 on: 25 February 2024, 18:38:32 »
Blonde, Brunette, Redhead or Raven haired? Pick your stock, we have lines of serfs ready for wholesale discounts.

Male and Females available, even kids!

TT

Also, maybe create a new Google Doc with the updated lists?

Cold hard cash or raw materials only. Maybe trade routes and economic opportunities too… we’re Lyran! Not Periphery Pirates!

redheads please lol

GermanSumo

• Sergeant
« Reply #71 on: 27 February 2024, 08:12:19 »
"Alexander van Farcht is not your typical Rim World high officer. Not from noble (or Rowes entourage heritage) his trader parents fled from an area now part of the Draconis Combine when he was just born. His parents needing to flee after a "friendly takeover" from a combine traders family. The family spent several years in space earning meager income as ship officers. After some years they found permanent employ with the growing Republic like so many other refugees. Growing up in the republics trading fleet and never living planetbound, his body never grew big or muscular but he constantly fought muscle atrophy. When he became 16, he enlisted in the Rim World Military as a pilot. His experience as ship rating, his keen mind and his knack for strategy and military history helped him in the common officer courses he found himself in. Drop-, Jump- and Warship training followed soon after. Chances to join those were provided by a "high officer" mentor. With 30 he was an accomplished career officer in command of his own military Jumpship patrolling the periphery borders of the RWR fighting pirates regulary and providing defense for the nascent periphery colonies. Until a nasty fight nearly cost him his right leg and he became crippled. But never again could he walk and serve normal.
So his mentor helped him out again and made him an instructor at the newly christened RWR naval academy. Shunned by most of the higher officers in the Navy due to his "common" roots the mentors protection let him rise there as well until he became the Head of the acadamy.
In the following decades Alexander van Farch reached the rank of Admirals and shaped the academy. Despite the higher class officers nepotism (similar to the social generals in the Lyran Commonwealth), his stern but professional approach and his strategic knowledge made him a known and respected Admiral with the ratings and common officers. Nepotism in the RWR navy still runs rampant though due to political loopholes for wealthy and connected individuals to circumvent the public academy by having their young officers being "tested" and evaluated "at home" by experienced officers of captain or higher rank.
The death of the old Fleet Admiral led to the appointment of van Farcht to this position at the age of 67 after being the head of the academy for over 30 years. Much to the shock and chargrin of the "high officer" corp. Foreign spy services also cannot tell what the Rowe family actually wants to change in the Navy and the naval politics... but all analysts agree on one thing: change and reform will come."

This is van Farchts summary. In rpg terms, he would have his highest stats in Low-G-Movement, Ship Rating, Military History and Strategy (fleet deployment). Crippled right leg (can walks slowly with a cane for short distances on a planet) and some really high level enemies. Also beloved by the majority of the fleet. His naval war games to train the navy are not only regular but famous with all naval personal throughout the Inner Sphere. While the highest echelon of the officer corps in the RWR might be social admirals, the average training and experience level is actually quite high due his established curriculum. His works on naval warfare are a must read for many.

:)

i hope, venser can make some traits with this background. :D

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #72 on: 27 February 2024, 18:52:54 »
If we can, I highly want to use the following linky as Generic.

Posted by: DevianID.

It is a good example of the Tech in Era.

That is, if we want to use them.

TT

Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

GermanSumo

• Sergeant
« Reply #73 on: 28 February 2024, 07:12:00 »
Expanding a bit on the DC:

Admiral Minamoto Abe owes his position to nepotism, war games, and war theory.  Early commanders complained about Minamoto's excessive suggestions but a few lateral promotions to Draconis Rift exploration fostered by Minamoto's boyhood friend Tenno Kurita helped his commanders develop a more productive attitude.  While fast tracking up through the ranks in active deployment Minamoto saw minimal actual action.  Instead, he drew senior officers into increasingly complex war game simulations which were often shared with Tenno.  Building off that experience and studying the history of engagements across the inner sphere, Minamoto developed and published a doctorate on modern warfare called "Jump power".  Given his whispered backing this became essential reading.  Shortly after Tenno took over as Coordinator, Admiral Abe became the natural trusted lieutenant in charge of all aerospace developments.   

There were grumbles of course about lack of direct battle experience and youth, but Admiral Abe delegated control of fleets and training to those with real fighting experience.  Admiral Abe reserved the majority of his time to perfecting and enabling his war theory focusing on designs and disruptions of complex naval systems.

hhmm... maybe van Farcht and Minamoto play distant chess together? sounds like that would fit. :D

Gorgon

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #74 on: 28 February 2024, 07:55:51 »
With each turn having to be delivered by jumpship courier, each game may take a while  :grin:
Jude Melancon lives!

GermanSumo

• Sergeant
« Reply #75 on: 28 February 2024, 08:27:41 »
jep, it would. but whats diplomatic corps for? "Here, attache... some very urgent and important business from the fleet admiral to his counterpart!"

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #76 on: 28 February 2024, 13:39:07 »
Well, last two games had 10 year turns...

So, it could be a whole slew of games...

I'm down for 5 year turns to incite more action, anyone else like this idea?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Gorgon

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #77 on: 28 February 2024, 14:00:44 »
Sure, I wouldn't mind turns covering a shorter amount of time. I like spending a bit longer between tech advances and having conflicts or events cover a few more turns.
Jude Melancon lives!

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #78 on: 28 February 2024, 14:52:54 »
Yeah, everything had that "rush" feeling and it was like every 2 weeks was pushing the limit per decade.

I can see taking a RL Month of 28 days to complete a 10-year push, giving us a 2 week 5-year Turn period. It would allow us a slower rate to control an area. I mean, it would be up to the GM and players to see if they would want a slower per turn with more background options or continue with the past.

I also suggest to VensersRevenge, he make another thread with the "Story-line", so we can place our Budget and Fleet maneuvers and for those that want to read at their enjoyment. That way, we can leave this for Questions and such. And of course, the proverbial Tech Page, where we can show our latest "Wheel" off to the peeps in Foreign Intelligences.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Lagrange

• Lieutenant
« Reply #79 on: 28 February 2024, 20:57:01 »
hhmm... maybe van Farcht and Minamoto play distant chess together? sounds like that would fit. :D
Very possible.  But how do they meet?

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #80 on: 29 February 2024, 00:29:18 »
Is it too late to join in?

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #81 on: 29 February 2024, 00:35:26 »
Never... I think there is 2 left, possible more?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Smegish

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #82 on: 29 February 2024, 00:57:02 »
Still the Taurians and United Hindu Collective left of the factions that exist in 2300. May be able to convince the GM if you really want to play Canopus of course.

As to the 5/10 year turns, I'm good either way tbh.

EDIT: Also because I don't remember if I shared them with you earlier...

Blank IS map: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vaTFsaycn9ZJdX4QUoKng_oz6bgf1U-6/view?usp=sharing

Previous game start: https://drive.google.com/file/d/19a6Puzk8FRB8zE62sqGJ-YZJ25EUumKD/view?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: 29 February 2024, 01:07:15 by Smegish »

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #83 on: 29 February 2024, 02:30:01 »
Be interested in playing Taurians if that's still possible...

Lagrange

• Lieutenant
« Reply #84 on: 29 February 2024, 08:24:49 »
Be interested in playing Taurians if that's still possible...
I'd suggest assuming "yes", and declaring your admiral.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #85 on: 29 February 2024, 10:23:27 »
No opinion on either time frame window: either is good for me.

Smegish

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #86 on: 01 March 2024, 23:44:47 »
One possible idea that occurred to me to make missiles a little more useful: Make them omni-directional weapons, much like missiles in The Expanse. Tube really just needs to kick the missile out the tube and clear of the firing ship, after which the missile can just orient itself in the right direction and off it goes...

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #87 on: 01 March 2024, 23:49:03 »
That would be Bearings firing, correct?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Lagrange

• Lieutenant
« Reply #88 on: 02 March 2024, 00:01:28 »
One possible idea that occurred to me to make missiles a little more useful: Make them omni-directional weapons, much like missiles in The Expanse. Tube really just needs to kick the missile out the tube and clear of the firing ship, after which the missile can just orient itself in the right direction and off it goes...
The "capital missile preprogrammed waypoints" rules on SO page 102 is quite close to that.  A warship can put 7 of 8 arcs of missiles on a target.  Similarly, a space station can put 5 of 6 arcs on a target.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #89 on: 02 March 2024, 02:53:29 »
Everything except the Aft, correct? IIRC, that is.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse