Author Topic: What was your first?  (Read 6415 times)

Saatch

• Lieutenant
Re: What was your first?
« Reply #30 on: 19 December 2013, 15:11:41 »
The Battlemaster in my sig is probably the oldest figure I still have. I can't remember ever not having it. :) It's been touched up and re-decal'ed, of course.

My early paintjobs were even worse than my current ones, if that's even possible, so no camera has ever been found that could make them look presentable. (and, for you kids, those were days before everyone was on the internet!, so it wasn't like anyone would see them anyway).  But coming to Battletech from other parts of the miniatures hobby, I had some basic skills down by the time I started on mechs.

We played a lot of the paper guys that came with the early edition. Wish I still had those.

Akalabeth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: 19 December 2013, 15:53:35 »
Hmmn, it may have been the Hollander. And no I don't still have it. I got rid of it because it's ugly (the artwork is decent, the miniature didn't turn out so hot).

If it wasn't the Hollander, it would've been one of the lance Packs. Probably the heavy pack with two Warhammers, a Marauder and uh . . Thunderbolt?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #32 on: 19 December 2013, 16:47:36 »
Unseen Griffin, painted in grey and green to match the plastic model in the TCI BattleTech box.

I still have it. I painted it while I was still doing plastic spacecraft, so it stands up reasonably well with time. I'll get around to basing it soon, but won't touch the paint, just give it a clean and matt finish.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #33 on: 19 December 2013, 17:47:39 »
Mine first was a Battledroids Archer, lost long ago. My Second was a Victor and that I still use regular on the table. O0

Ronin Actual

• Warrant Officer
  • Bad Day?
« Reply #34 on: 19 December 2013, 18:42:09 »
3rd Edition Box Set, still have 'em, still love 'em!

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #35 on: 19 December 2013, 18:44:11 »
My first BT minis were 12 or I bought second-hand off a guy at a con, the first BT minis I'd seen in Ireland, around '93.  I ended up with an Atlas, Marauder, 2 Archers, Rifleman, Ostsol, Phoenix Hawk, Stinger, Battlemaster, I forget what else.  Some of them were already painted, but I've repainted them all at least once since then.  The Following year I found some minis while on holiday in Spain, got a Griffin, the Medium OmniMechs box, and one of the large Demolishers.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Crimson Dynamo

• Lieutenant
  • Opening hearts, minds, and throats since 2807
« Reply #36 on: 19 December 2013, 19:13:29 »
One of the old-style Vulture OmniMechs. I do still have it.

It was the only 'Mech I recognized from the cartoon among the selection of my FLGS.
"Well, I do, Marcus, and rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads. If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched. There are no flags in the MAC."
"And there never will be," Barton said, nodding his head in agreement.

"You guys are facing a freaking Shadow Division! These guys have strict policies against playing fair!"

"I don’t care. Kill them. I planned the defense so I know it will work. If they claim otherwise, they’re cowards. Any step back is a betrayal of me, and saying they don’t have enough men is just an excuse for incompetence and disloyalty. Tell the Krypteia to do it if you’re too soft but get it done." -Emperor Stefan Ukris Amaris I

phlop

• CamoSpecs
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #37 on: 19 December 2013, 19:23:21 »
I can't remember the first Battletech mini. It would have been unseen for sure and probably the T-bolt or Battlemaster. I would buy minis in lances. All have since been sold.
“Everyone is useful,No one is necessary.’’ Paul Brown

Skyth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #38 on: 19 December 2013, 19:24:46 »
First one was a Bombardier that I thought was an Archer (Didn't know about 2750 tech then).  Had a friend paint it for me and I still have it...24 years later...

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #39 on: 19 December 2013, 19:39:02 »
My first is a Dervish, my local gaming store at the time had a bad habit of keeping the "good" ones for themselves. But she is one of my favorites almost 30yrs later.
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

Lbcwanabe

• Corporal
« Reply #40 on: 19 December 2013, 19:48:34 »
Toyama here.  Then a salamander.  I got them at my local brick and mortar in 97.  they're gone now.  That same day my brother bought  battle master and as7-k.  i remember that all of the blister the store had were blue label.  ahhh memories

SteelWarrior

• Lieutenant
    • SteelWarrior Battletech
« Reply #41 on: 19 December 2013, 19:49:42 »
Dragon, painted red and black in what i had assumed was House Kuritas colors....resembled what i now know the Kell Hounds to look like.
Check out my Battletech Youtube Channel at:

SteelWarrior Battletech
https://www.youtube.com/user/SteelWarriorBT

For Video Battle Reports/Hobby Tutorials/Product Reviews

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #42 on: 19 December 2013, 19:51:47 »
Since I was asked...

From left: Longbow (2004), Hellbringer (2007- that is THE JadeHellbringer), Brigand (2011), Burrock (just finished a couple of days ago, 2013)

EDIT: The light is terrible, apologies- it's as good as I could do at the moment.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Von Ether

• Lieutenant
« Reply #43 on: 19 December 2013, 21:31:36 »
The first I bought was a Hatcheman as a B-Day gift for a friend. It was a new release at the time and he didn't have one.

My first own mechs were clickies, that I still have and rebased for BT/AS. My first paint job was my Hammerhands, which I have yet to field.
"New players, regardless of age, need to know two things about a wargame. How to blow stuff up and what faction is painted in his favorite color. All the rest can come later when they are hooked." -- A.G.
"But the problem is that it seems to have been made by someone who equates complication with complexity, and that just ain't so." -- iamfanboy

Amalor Myrnnyx

• Lieutenant
  • www.myrnnyx.com
    • Myrnnyx Minis
« Reply #44 on: 19 December 2013, 21:33:44 »
My first has never been repainted, though I did fill in the base a about 6 years ago. It sits in a display above my desk, as a reminder of where I started as a painter nearly 25 years ago.

Why a Charger? No reason, really. Just the first one I grabbed to paint.

-James Degenhardt

Corrinald

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #45 on: 19 December 2013, 21:41:34 »
My first miniature was a Hunchback IIC painted like Pytor's from the cartoon. I think one of the guys from our original gaming group still has it.

Wow that was awhile ago.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #46 on: 19 December 2013, 21:45:26 »
First mech that I still have?

None. I lost next to all my gaming stuff during the recession (including my first Timber Wolf, Mad Dog and Summoner) and while I've been thinking of buying a few new minis, I can't seem to bring myself to do it. I'm not sure if I'm just being a conservative fellow sense I don't have the time for gaming or if I somehow feel I can't bring myself to start replacing my first collect. My first three mechs came with allot of memories of playing BT games with my childhood friends. A new set of miniature would have different meaning all together.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

GaelicGraywolf

• Corporal
« Reply #47 on: 19 December 2013, 23:31:33 »
Original FASA Assault Lance box.  2 Warhammer, Marauder, Battlemaster. Yep still have each and every one of them.  They were originally split among 3 of us, we each bought a box set and split them. My first 4 mechs were the Marauder, Archer, Crusader and the Locust. Painted in jungle camo, my friends did theirs in Wolf's Dragoons, and Hanson's Roughriders. The reason I still have them all is they quit the game but I talked them into giving me their mechs and I have  since then increased the initial sets into a regiment and a half.
Orbital Insertion
There's the wrong way, and then there's the Steiner way.  Which is just the wrong way with tons of Assault Mechs.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #48 on: 20 December 2013, 00:05:57 »
Its been so long but the first mini was the plastic Marauder and yes I still have it. The first Pewter mini was a Dire Wolf and I still have it and just gave it a repaint not to long ago.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

DaveMac

• Lieutenant
  • Running for home...
« Reply #49 on: 20 December 2013, 03:23:46 »
Unseen Marauder and still got it 25+ years later
Go to red alert!
Are you sure sir?  It does mean changing the lightbulb.

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #50 on: 20 December 2013, 08:19:15 »
First minis I owned were the box set ones, the plastic unseens.  They seem to be long gone.  First mech I painted was the Victor from the Citytech Box (I think).  Painted it all black with a red cockpit.

The first mech I painted that looked alright was a Cauldron Born.  I had a whole heavy cavalry star painted in black, grey, and charcoal camo.  That would have been in '98 when I left the game.

To the patient go the spoils

SteveUK

• Sergeant
« Reply #51 on: 20 December 2013, 09:52:03 »
i didn't have first so much as a few, I got some BD's a Marauder, Warhammer, Archer and Striker light tank. still have them - paint job's are very basic single colours, still like them though.

Lord Cameron

• Patron Saint of GenCon Goodies
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #52 on: 20 December 2013, 15:01:33 »
Had to be the battledriods falcon stinger and wasp, long gone.  :(

Very first minis? I think it was those wacky supersized plastic minis back in the 80's that you had to glue together. We had the Scorpion, Shadow Hawk, T-Bolt and a few others.

Probably highly collectable now.

First metal minis that I got were the unseen FWL (Large Laser) Wolverine variant and the Inner Sphere Gladiator (the 55 tonner from the Battletechnology magazine).  Both long out of print.
I still have the Gladiator, but the Wolverine seems to be missing.  :(
Agent #395, West Coast CDT Lead

mike19k

• Lieutenant
« Reply #53 on: 20 December 2013, 15:56:15 »
The first that I bought with my own $ was a Victor, still have it. First that I painted do not know proably still have it but may have been repainted. Oldest my dad bought and painted for me the Battledroids Demolisher (big one) and still have it, it just needs fixed as some of the tracks have broke off.

17th Spartans

• Warrant Officer
  • Long Live the Dragon! Long Live the Regiment!
« Reply #54 on: 21 December 2013, 06:55:28 »
My First Mechs are the 3rd addition Box Set. My First Metal Mech is the first sculpt Trebuchet. I still have it. One of my favorite 50 ton Mechs. My Second Mech was an Atlas ( original sculpt ) They were blue card. 1992 or 93 I forget. I have around 700 Mechs now. Battle!  O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 8) 8) 8) 8) :o :o :o [drool] [drool] [AAAH] [whipit] Long Live the Regiment! Long Live the Dragon. I have something like 15 Mad Cats and 12 Grand Dragons in the collection. 2 of my favorite Mechs........ :D
The Dragon knows......
Long Live the Regiment!

Josva Valdreki

• Master Sergeant
  • ...With blackjack. And hookers. In fact....
« Reply #55 on: 21 December 2013, 14:46:18 »
Either a Mad Dog or a Nova.

I think it was the Nova. It was the only Clan machine that I ever saw at the local hobby shop.

Still have it, buried with my MechWarrior DA/AOD minis.

ETA: Found it! Nova. I can tell because I tried to paint it with a blue sharpie. (I also have a Mad Dog, Timber Wolf, and Ebon Jaguar. I'm one Point short of a Star….)
« Last Edit: 22 December 2013, 01:21:11 by Josva Valdreki »
Úlfhéðnar Free Company
Clan Free Ghost Rasalhague Bear Dominion Republic

firebee

• Recruit
« Reply #56 on: 23 December 2013, 13:42:30 »
A Battledroids Gladiator.  We were playing a MechWarrior campaign, and I liked the look of that 'Mech.  My GM informed that it wasn't in the book (the stats later came out in BattleTechnology), and told me to get another miniature.  So I then selected a Charger, at which point he told me that not only was the 'Mech too heavy for the campaign, it really sucked.  So then I picked out a Griffin, which was approved!!

I still have all three 'Mechs.  Good times.

HavocTheWarDog

• Captain
  • Lead or Follow, but get outa my way!
« Reply #57 on: 23 December 2013, 16:31:39 »
Whm -6r warhammer, still have it and many others aswell!!!
"Veni Vidi Vici"

Lysenko

• Lieutenant
  • 15th Dracon: A Proud Tradition of Service
    • Polar Bear Dreams & Stranger Things
« Reply #58 on: 23 December 2013, 16:49:30 »
A Highlander that I still have. It's was just in jungle camo for years, was Comstar for a few more, and is currently being repurposedfor an assault lance in 15th Dracon colors.

Dragoon1

• Warrant Officer
    • http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e62/GrungeVibe/dragoons.gif[/IMG]
« Reply #59 on: 23 December 2013, 17:21:29 »
My first were a Spector, Perseus, Orion, Axe Man and clan medium star box in the old blue resin.  Ahhh, sweet memories...  ::)  {>{>